• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Bukana

This was posted on TMA today.

qn1Dm.jpg

::taunts Twister fans::

:(, there is still hope, I want either #3 or #4.

I'm not gonna change my avatar (who cares!?) until ESP releases her as a DLC.
Just imagine my avatar riding it :).

Helscream

Banned
:(, there is still hope, I want either #3 or #4.

I'm not gonna change my avatar (who cares!?) until ESP releases her as a DLC.
Just imagine my avatar riding it :).

You know I was thinking about "if" Twister was introduced as a DLC vehicle later down the line. I was curious as to what her special could be. Obviously the "Tornado" move Twister does is a given. But I was thinking, since Twister uses a Formula 1 car I think what would be cool you can use the extreme speed of the car to create a vacuum from going so fast that sucks in all vehicles within the proximity of the vacuum. Not sure why, but it came to mind.

I think ultimately though if Twister really introduced into the game the special will probably something that is grounded a bit into reality. Maybe something that pertains to Twister being a Formula 1 car the special revolves around the idea of extreme speed. Like a sonic boom or something to that degree.

i just read today about Eat Sleep Play dismantling and Jaffe leaving. Will this have a serious effect on Twisted Metal? It's no secret that teams that go under or change business strategy after release tend to dump the game and there will be no updates, patches or DLC :/

Could Sony Santa Monica or some other studio pick up the remains?

BHK3

Banned
You know I was thinking about "if" Twister was introduced as a DLC vehicle later down the line. I was curious as to what her special could be. Obviously the "Tornado" move Twister does is a given. But I was thinking, since Twister uses a Formula 1 car I think what would be cool you can use the extreme speed of the car to create a vacuum from going so fast that sucks in all vehicles within the proximity of the vacuum. Not sure why, but it came to mind.

I had a similar idea when I was guessing who the 3rd boss was. She would start to drive in a gaint circle around the stage extremely fast causing a tornado. That would be her last stage, you would fight her 1v1 normally but she would act as basically a faster crimson fury, but as you hurt her more her engine would get more unstable causing her to go faster and faster. Her special will get stronger and at the end of the fight you'll see her engine reach maximum levels and she time travels back, then you drive onto your next objective.

rdrr gnr

This OT is officially reaching uncomfortable levels for myself. I'll see you guys once I've run through the single-player campaign. Have fun, everyone!

Helscream

Banned
i just read today about Eat Sleep Play dismantling and Jaffe leaving. Will this have a serious effect on Twisted Metal? It's no secret that teams that go under or change business strategy after release tend to dump the game and there will be no updates, patches or DLC :/

Well David Jaffe did clear this mess up for us. Basically to summarize it all, David Jaffe as well as ESP will be dedicating the next 3 months AFTER the games release to make sure the game is balanced and runs smooth without any issue. Basically things that they may have not gotten to before the game became gold will be patched and such. Also if there is a lot of feedback about a particular issue or the community feels like something is underpowered/overpowered they will patch stuff to comply with the community.

David Jaffe HAS said that "if" the game does good enough and the demand is out there then they will work something up. What that DLC would be your guess is as good as mine.

The reason David Jaffe left is because he lives in Southern California and ESP is based up in Utah. So trying to make a game with that kind of distance was really taxing. So he is opening up a new studio nearby where he lives.

There are some tweets around here that I am sure someone can link to, to verify all this. I think for the most part I am correct. If I am wrong hopefully someone will correct me lol.

Bukana

I think ultimately though if Twister really introduced into the game the special will probably something that is grounded a bit into reality. Maybe something that pertains to Twister being a Formula 1 car the special revolves around the idea of extreme speed. Like a sonic boom or something to that degree.

True, my guessing that she was scrapped because of frame rate or too similar to Crimsoon Fury except for the specials, but I am not sure about this, but some time in 2010, Jaffe tweeted about Twister is causing a frame rate because of her special as a 'Tornado', but it could be my imagination or a comment that I read.
Hopefully, she will be a DLC.

KuroNeeko

Dismantling? I know they laid off some of their staff, but I don't think they're dismantling. From what I've heard, they're going into iOS / smartphone-based games. It's apparently what Scott Campbell wanted to get into from the beginning. I know a lot of people think of it as a "step down" but to be honest, I think there is a lot of potential out there to create hardcore, pocket-sized games "for gamers" so I am looking forward to their next few titles - especially with a lot of the talent they have.

I get the impression that Jaffe "leaving" is 1) he's interested in working with a team again. He's was working from his home in Cali separate from the Utah-based ESP and he misses that whole energy you get when you're there working with others real-time. Thing is, he doesn't want to move (probably because of his daughters?) 2) I'm pretty sure that he still wants to make bigger-scaled projects. What shape they'll take remains to be seen but I think he's going to have his work cut out for him with all the crap he's taken for his DICE speech. TM will go a long way to showing people what he means since I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what he's trying to say.

In short, I don't think SSM needs to step in a pick anyone up. Jaffe is going off to do his own thing creatively, and ESP is getting into mobile-platform development. I just hope they were able to find work for those 8 men / women they had to let go.

As for DLC, Twister and Mr. Slam would be great additions. I think Mr. Slam would lose a bit of his appeal since the maps are so much more open now - seems like they're would be fewer opportunities to drop people off the side of buildings.

To be honest, though, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I think development has gone on just long enough that they're going to need to sell a considerable number of copies before they start contemplating DLC - especially if they're worried about breaking up the online community. While the addition of new characters is usually something that most players / fans are willing to put down some money for - you WILL split your community and of course there's also a bit of criticism from people who think those characters should have been available day one.

I'd love to see it, I just wouldn't get my hopes up.

Dismantling? I know they laid off some of their staff, but I don't think they're dismantling. From what I've heard, they're going into iOS / smartphone-based games. It's apparently what Scott Campbell wanted to get into from the beginning. I know a lot of people think of it as a "step down" but to be honest, I think there is a lot of potential out there to create hardcore, pocket-sized games "for gamers" so I am looking forward to their next few titles - especially with a lot of the talent they have.

I get the impression that Jaffe "leaving" is 1) he's interested in working with a team again. He's was working from his home in Cali separate from the Utah-based ESP and he misses that whole energy you get when you're there working with others real-time. Thing is, he doesn't want to move (probably because of his daughters?) 2) I'm pretty sure that he still wants to make bigger-scaled projects. What shape they'll take remains to be seen but I think he's going to have his work cut out for him with all the crap he's taken for his DICE speech. TM will go a long way to showing people what he means since I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what he's trying to say.

In short, I don't think SSM needs to step in a pick anyone up. Jaffe is going off to do his own thing creatively, and ESP is getting into mobile-platform development. I just hope they were able to find work for those 8 men / women they had to let go.

As for DLC, Twister and Mr. Slam would be great additions. I think Mr. Slam would lose a bit of his appeal since the maps are so much more open now - seems like they're would be fewer opportunities to drop people off the side of buildings.

To be honest, though, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I think development has gone on just long enough that they're going to need to sell a considerable number of copies before they start contemplating DLC - especially if they're worried about breaking up the online community. While the addition of new characters is usually something that most players / fans are willing to put down some money for - you WILL split your community and of course there's also a bit of criticism from people who think those characters should have been available day one.

I'd love to see it, I just wouldn't get my hopes up.

dlc characters won't split the community, you can still play together with people who buy those character, you just can't play it yourselves. if they balance it right, there shouldn't be any problem.

dlc maps on the other hand, will split the community. I hope they realize that.

Dismantling? *snip*

yeah well i meant dismantling as they laid off people, their creative manager is leaving and they are changing the business strategy towards iOS games. That usually means selling all devkits and focusing resources to new games.

dlc maps on the other hand, will split the community. I hope they realize that.

i don't think so, just look at Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield etc. all the players even want more maps constantly.

yeah well i meant dismantling as they laid off people, their creative manager is leaving and they are changing the business strategy towards iOS games. That usually means selling all devkits and focusing resources to new games.

i don't think so, just look at Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield etc. all the players even want more maps constantly.

I think CoD userbase is so large that even after splitting the community, there's still big enough player for each split.

look at MAG, I have to wait for quite a while until I got into the new maps from expansion.

BHK3

Banned

Do you know how annoying it is to even play games like halo 3? Where every result boots you out to the menu because you don't have the map?

Even in smaller games like transformers war for cybertron, it was incredibly frustrating to get a game going because 1 out of 12 people in the lobby has the DLC maps so no one can play.

Do you know how annoying it is to even play games like halo 3? Where every result boots you out to the menu because you don't have the map?

Even in smaller games like transformers war for cybertron, it was incredibly frustrating to get a game going because 1 out of 12 people in the lobby has the DLC maps so no one can play.

ok, i understand. developers should take notice and have a filter option on multiplayer "show servers with expansion maps yes/no"

ElRenoRaven

Couldn't see this posted, special edition at EB games

article

http://www.esperino.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Twisted-Metal-Special-Edition.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="Seventy_X_Seven, post: 35094067"]So for an additional $18 you get a slip case? Yeah, no thanks.[/QUOTE]

That's AU. Aren't their prices always higher there? And woohoo!! My copy is being prepared for shipment from Amazon. I hope the delivery guy drops it off decently early tomorrow.

RagnarokX

It was so painful watching part 7
How does I can sacrifice?
I'm pretty sure
he knew how to sacrifice but he thought he was a total bad ass and could sit in the circle without killing the other enemies or making any attempt to dodge the Predator lasers. He definitely didn't know you can still use your side arm while sacrificing or that you can use a shield.

RagnarokX

I'm pretty sure
he knew how to sacrifice but he thought he was a total bad ass and could sit in the circle without killing the other enemies or making any attempt to dodge the Predator lasers. He definitely didn't know you can still use your side arm while sacrificing or that you can use a shield.

No, he clearly
couldn't figure out he had to be in the circle. He kept leaving the circle when he wasn't being attacked, sitting and waiting next to the truck but not in the circle.

And then he got to the final part of the boss and actually drove into the bottomless pit a couple of times. "The bridge broke? When did that happen?"

Quick question, why is the demo no longer working, was swamped at work so didnt get a chance to play it after I downloaded it and I tried it this weekend and it said it was expired. Will there be a new demo or is that it??

Quick question, why is the demo no longer working, was swamped at work so didnt get a chance to play it after I downloaded it and I tried it this weekend and it said it was expired. Will there be a new demo or is that it??
Demo was scheduled to only last one week. Due to some matchmaking bug it was suppose to be extended to last up till last night but that never happened. Either way the demo would be over right now.

They could of done something to make it more clear the demo was temporary for those people who don't follow Jaffe on twitter. Maybe it was in the product description on the PS Store? But who really reads that.

BHK3

Banned
Demo was scheduled to only last one week. Due to some matchmaking bug it was suppose to be extended to last up till last night but that never happened. Either way the demo would be over right now.

They could of done something to make it more clear the demo was temporary for those people who don't follow Jaffe on twitter. Maybe it was in the product description on the PS Store? But who really reads that.

Wasn't it called a beta instead of a demo in the EU store along with a different icon?

Moofers

It's kind of up: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218538p1.html

They'll complete it when they can invest time in the online multiplayer

Pretty lame review so far. Basically boils down to:

"Its pretty chaotic, but that charm will wear off. The campaign has great boss fights, but story is confusing. You can pretty much see everything in a day. Its really an explosive package."

Soo.....buy? Rent? They're not very clear.

Personally, the campaign stuff really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Playing online was never something I just had to have in my Twisted Metal. It was all about characters, wishes, and mayhem. Sounds like this installment only has one of those. I'm pretty torn on whether or not I want to take the $60 plunge tomorrow.

Duude. They gave it a 4.5?!?

kidding.

Wth dont do that :/

"The automated lock-on system, used with certain special abilities and power-ups, can frustrate from time to time. Frantic chases that require precise timing often fail thanks to the lock-on system that selects the wrong target."

I agree with this being the only real frustration I had in the demo. Is he complaining that low armored cars die too fast?

Top Bottom