• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

It's kind of up: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218538p1.html

They'll complete it when they can invest time in the online multiplayer

Also on this. Ryan Clements (the reviewer) tweeted this to Jaffe.

m4TSU.jpg

So looks to be getting a pretty good score from IGN.

i just hope reviewers tend to review the game more on its mulitplayer merits than getting hung up on certain single player aspects.

But who am I kidding, reviewers typically play games for a good 5 hours online and then tell it how it is (more like how it isn't). Kinda what's wrong with reviews these days.

wcw

Neo Member
Pretty lame review so far. Basically boils down to:

"Its pretty chaotic, but that charm will wear off. The campaign has great boss fights, but story is confusing. You can pretty much see everything in a day. Its really an explosive package."

Soo.....buy? Rent? They're not very clear.

Personally, the campaign stuff really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Playing online was never something I just had to have in my Twisted Metal. It was all about characters, wishes, and mayhem. Sounds like this installment only has one of those. I'm pretty torn on whether or not I want to take the $60 plunge tomorrow.

The gameplay of the single player is the most variety the franchise has. There are 3 bosses and not every match is just a straight up death match. But for this Twisted the single player (And local multi-player) is more so a complement to the online. So if you don't want to play the game online that much I would say stay away till the price drops.

But the single player is 6-10 hours long with a good amount of action and variety, it follows 3 main stories. Yeah its not the 12-14 characters but to be honest beating those old Twisted Metals with all 12+ guys got kind of boring by the end as all it was was deathmatch after deathmatch. This one seems to have a combination of a lot of other things and excellent bosses.

But in the end unless you want to play local splitscreen or the online its not a 60$ single player game. The single player is a complement to the excellent online package (Along with local multi-player. I would say don't dismiss the online part of the game. One of the best parts of Twisted was playing with friends and playing online allows you to do that anytime with up to 16 people.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Had my girl order this as my valentine's day gift.
Only thing that sucks is she used Amazon super saver shipping guess i won't get the game until 5-8 days after release. I had to have this, loved the difficulty of the demo, I always love hard games. Challenge mode was brutal. Having one of my favorite games of all time Twisted Metal Black, as well as having Axel's vehicle as pre-order items is divine.

I fucking hate pre-order items, Especially on UFC 3 which I am forced to buy at shit-stop just to get 3 very important contenders & one turd named Mayhem Miller.

sarcoa

The review embargo ends tomorrow, not today, though im still not sure how IGN got awwy with a scoreless review. Prerelease online play was limited to a handful of two hour sessions, which may or may not have been enough to write a review.

Just got back from preordering. Sucks, I live in North Texas near Dallas and was told the closest Gamestop doing a midnight launch is somewhere in the middle of fucking Oklahoma. Clerk said no other stores had enough preorders to justify the midnight launch. Would have just strolled into Wal-Mart at midnight but I want that Axel early access.

ElRenoRaven

It's kind of up: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218538p1.html

They'll complete it when they can invest time in the online multiplayer

That's actually cool of them. Most will never really play the MP and just rate it off what they think the online will be worth.

They couldn't test the online on the pre-launch servers? Isn't that how they normally test online games?
It is for a lot of people but you never get an accurate representation of the game in the wild that way. I'm actually shocked they are waiting because as I said above I think that's a good thing.

Yeah and that's the problem most of the time.

Exactly. So many just go hmm I can see this being fun or I can see it sucking and just rate the multiplayer online like that.

Just got back from preordering. Sucks, I live in North Texas near Dallas and was told the closest Gamestop doing a midnight launch is somewhere in the middle of fucking Oklahoma. Clerk said no other stores had enough preorders to justify the midnight launch. Would have just strolled into Wal-Mart at midnight but I want that Axel early access.

Oh sucks for you. I'm surprised any are here. I used to do the midnight launches but just as I've gotten older I say fuck it and go with release date from amazon. Saves me money cause that's like a buck for shipping where as taxes and gas would have been more. lol

10dollas

Banned
god this is the first time I've ever been concerned about the review scores of a game. The demo was an incredible joy to play, but that only came after really giving the game a fair shake. I fear, with all the mismanagement that sony has done with the game and the demo, this game, which I see as being just as enjoyable to the mass market as a game such as mariokart, might not even come close to being as saturated in the homes of gamers as mariokart is.

It deserves to achieve success similar to that of at least 50% of mariokarts success, but TwistedMetal is fighting an uphill battle. And its opponents are:
Itself, with mismanagement of the online demo portion
The stinginess of the idea of a timed demo and a anticustomer policy of an online pass-->this surely will turn a few customers away
The fickleness of good-graphics-demanding customers
The impatience of your typical gamer with new-to-them IPs,
And of course negative word-of-mouth from dismissive people who are fickle and impatient and didn't give the game a good test drive

And That doesn't even include the other usual obstacles that all games face, such as fair reviews and so on

In fact, I know a guy that refused to buy another quality game he loved for the the only reason, that the demo code was buggier than the retail game. This shallow "prejudice" is what we are fighting against...

Damn you cult of Jaffe for bringing me into your fold.

Edit: And even though its good that regardless of the sales of Twisted Metal, its already in our hands, the success of this game will affect how much leeway and freedom executives will give Jaffe to create more outstanding games in the future. This is scary both from my perspective in the sense, that the failure of the twisted metal franchise means, Jaffe won't be as able to create more risky innovative IPs, that cater to me, unrestrained. And also from an empathetic perspective, in the sense that I would feel Jaffe's, Scott's, and the team's pain ;/.

Haha IGN review is funny, "low health vehicles require skill to survive." Are you filing that as a complaint? Overall the tone sounds like it's up for an 8.5 and that's cool. All my favorite games that I'll look at as instant classics usually score in the 8.0-8.5 range, 9.0+'s are usually just the mega-hyped game that will have a sequel within 2 years.

Had my girl order this as my valentine's day gift.
Only thing that sucks is she used Amazon super saver shipping guess i won't get the game until 5-8 days after release. I had to have this, loved the difficulty of the demo, I always love hard games. Challenge mode was brutal. Having one of my favorite games of all time Twisted Metal Black, as well as having Axel's vehicle as pre-order items is divine.

I fucking hate pre-order items, Especially on UFC 3 which I am forced to buy at shit-stop just to get 3 very important contenders & one turd named Mayhem Miller.
Amazon usually offers Release Day Delivery for every game for only $0.99, see if you can change it really quick.

ElRenoRaven

Haha IGN review is funny, "low health vehicles require skill to survive." Are you filing that as a complaint? Overall the tone sounds like it's up for an 8.5 and that's cool. All my favorite games that I'll look at as instant classics usually score in the 8.0-8.5 range, 9.0+'s are usually just the mega-hyped game that will have a sequel within 2 years.

Amazon usually offers Release Day Delivery for every game for only $0.99, see if you can change it really quick.

If it's already being prepped for delivery like mine was this morning he may be too late. They got started processing them early. I've only usually had them start doing that when they have an ungodly amount of preorders.

If it's already being prepped for delivery like mine was this morning he may be too late. They got started processing them early. I've only usually had them start doing that when they have an ungodly amount of preorders.
You can still cancel a pre-order as long as it says "Shipping Soon" (did they already charge you?) and they take pre-orders till pretty late IIRC. I have a trade it currently being verified at Amazon and I'm hoping they'll give me to credit soon so I can re-order TM and use up darn credit (credit sucks). Otherwise I'll just save it for the my next purchase which will be who knows when.

ElRenoRaven

You can still cancel a pre-order as long as it says "Shipping Soon" (did they already charge you?) and they take pre-orders till pretty late IIRC. I have a trade it currently being verified at Amazon and I'm hoping they'll give me to credit soon so I can re-order TM and use up darn credit (credit sucks). Otherwise I'll just save it for the my next purchase which will be who knows when.

You can request one but that's not a guarantee you can get it. I myself always get release date delivery if preordering so I'm good. lol

And yea they started early. I checked the status on mine about 7am and it was processing. Money taken and all. Usually they don't get around to all this till later in the day to evening hours. So it looks like they're getting a head start today. I think they'll still take your order as a preorder as long as it's made before the actual day of release. So if they get you your credit and you get the order in before midnight tonight you should still be counted as a preorder and get Axel. After midnight then I wouldn't bet on getting axel. Course all first run will get the skin for Starhawk and the TMB code so you don't have to worry about that.

ElRenoRaven

Axel is the only pre-order bonus, correct? Starhawk skin and TM:B come with all copies?

Axel is preorder bonus but everyone will be able to get him in 30 days. Preorders just get him early. And yes Starhawk and TM:B come with all first run copies. So if you want those you want to pick it up asap.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
In Jaffe I Trust. From a purely technical standpoint, I was impressed with the demo. Win or lose, joining in the chaos online for some more simplified, old-fashioned gameplay is what I look to get from this title. I consider it a break from the unlock-driven realm of the military FPSs.

Axel is preorder bonus but everyone will be able to get him in 30 days. Preorders just get him early. And yes Starhawk and TM:B come with all first run copies. So if you want those you want to pick it up asap.

30 days? I thought it was just a matter of unlocking him in-game by progressing far enough. Link?

ElRenoRaven

30 days? I thought it was just a matter of unlocking him in-game by progressing far enough. Link?

It was a video interview given about it. I'll see if I can find something again detailing it because David has given so many I for the life of me can't remember which one it was.

The preorder's wording alone though explains it too.

Pre-Order Twisted Metal with GameStop and receive a code to unlock the Axel vehicle 30 days early!
Amazon's has similar wording. So he's indeed locked for 30 days for sure.

Ah and found an old David tweet answering the question. As you can see he's locked for 30 days after release then it unlocks him.

If you want Axel in Twisted Metal in the first 30 days, you have to preorder the game. After that, he's free in the title. We won't sell him later on the PSN store.

It was a video interview given about it. I'll see if I can find something again detailing it because David has given so many I for the life of me can't remember which one it was.

The preorder's wording alone though explains it too.

Amazon's has similar wording. So he's indeed locked for 30 days for sure.
Amazon's is a lot more vague, but yeah... that's lame. Good thing I barely used Axel in the other games anyway, so it's not the biggest loss.

ElRenoRaven

Amazon's is a lot more vague, but yeah... that's lame. Good thing I barely used Axel in the other games anyway, so it's not the biggest loss.

Doesn't bother me to be honest. Even if I wasn't preordering it wouldn't. The reason it doesn't is that it is unlockable for everyone after the 30 days hence everyone gets it. There is nothing i hate more then preorder bonuses that people either end up paying for later or never can get because they preordered elsewhere and it's locked away forever except to those few preorder people. So I prefer preorder bonuses like this.

ElRenoRaven

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but here's the launch trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-launch-twisted-metal/726798

Can't wait until later!! Been waiting all day for the call from my local videogame store. lol

Not yet but it is now. I had just seen it myself and was about to post it. That's one freaking awesome trailer.

Skinning stuff out yet? Tools and .psd's?

Not till tonight according to David. That's what Sony told him anyway a couple days ago.

Struct09

Amazon shipped my copy! To be played on Wednesday though, due to a certain holiday that always manages to interfere with video games.

sarcoa

My god. I'll admit I was part of the crowd that thought Reaper was, at the very least, a little unbalanced but some dude in the press room was annihilating the shit out of everyone and using Reaper exclusively.

Liberty4all

Banned
IGN said:
All three groups (and a fourth group in the multiplayer modes) have access to every vehicle, meaning the iconic Sweet Tooth can drive other cars besides his ice cream truck.

Sweet Tooth is the name of his vehicle. The clown's name is Needles Kane. [/useless trivia]

Helscream

Banned
Well if the journalist are anything like what we saw from the IGN/Machinima stream. They will probably try to negotiate themselves out of how much they suck. And because they don't have the two brain cells to rub together to figure out how to play the damn game they will end up giving it a lame score. I don't like to be pessimistic, but this is the feeling I get.

I will say that I would not be surprised to see the "User Review" giving Twisted Metal much higher praise than "Critic Review".

ElRenoRaven

I hope no one snagged this avatar when they were posted. If so, I will change.

Don't think anyone has. I've only seen someone using the Warthog one.

My copy hasn't shipped from Amazon yet =/

I've got release day delivery, hrmm.

I wouldn't worry. Many times I've had my orders not ship till 8 to 9pm and they still make it. Yours is probably going out via air. Those tend to ship out later. like that.

Think I'm gonna go for the "Win a ranked match each day for 30 days" trophy. I've already added a few of you, but feel free to add me or post your PSN so I can add you. My PSN is "MassXtortion".

Also, who is going to set up the GAF clan? I can do if it no one else wants to. I have time to manage it.

Tokubetsu

Think I'm gonna go for the "Win a ranked match each day for 30 days" trophy. I've already added a few of you, but feel free to add me or post your PSN so I can add you. My PSN is "MassXtortion".

Also, who is going to set up the GAF clan? I can do if it no one else wants to. I have time to manage it.

PSN is "Tokubetsu"

Side note: This week's Giant Bomb TNT is Twisted Metal. I'm gonna try to get in on that.

Top Bottom