• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Rawker

why release the game on valentines day, i mean it's the worst day to release it. i'm going to stare at it all the way home in the car. when i get home she's gonna wanna go out and eat, which is going to lead to her complaining that i'm quiet and seem distant because i just wanna go home and play. oh well, btw jaffe rogue trip is the best, not TM ;)

Gee didn't see these coming./sarcasm.

Oh well did we not know this was going to happen review wise? Won't stop me from enjoying the game.

The reviews aren't too bad. But as you said, I know i'll enjoy it. I know what I like, and i know I will like this game more than 90% of the games that rate over 90 on metacritic.

BTW, how much online did they get to play while reviewing?

remist

From the G4 review
".....the combat and controls aren’t as nearly as refined as Rage’s car combat"

I certainly hope this isn't true.

Riposte

why release the game on valentines day, i mean it's the worst day to release it. i'm going to stare at it all the way home in the car. when i get home she's gonna wanna go out and eat, which is going to lead to her complaining that i'm quiet and seem distant because i just wanna go home and play. oh well, btw jaffe rogue trip is the best, not TM ;)

Play it with her and let her win.

Oh wow G4 review

Twisted Metal is a hard sell for those in search of a well-rounded driving game. The game play and physics feel almost as if they were ripped from the original PSOne game, and the genre has come a long way since then.

Quikies83

When customizing the colors of your cars, how in the hell do you move the target in the color grid? It says L1 up and L2 down but I can't adjust the color any more than just the default 9 squares.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have a hunch that the difficulty in this game will be determined by how quickly one can execute the necessary button presses to negate what enemies are attempting. For some, I will wager this will be like failing at Street Fighter.

COD review: "Online is deep and fun. The single player is complete shit, but who cares no one is going to play it! 9.5!"*

TM review: "The online is deep and fun. Single player has some issues. 7.0!"*

*fake review

Riposte

According to who? You? You disagree with the laws of mathematics, the reviewers and Metacritic. Great, good for you. Keep on fightin' then.

/5 and /10 systems are not necessarily compatible. Aside from a few exceptions (who are usually inconsistent in this regard), 7/10 is the average score for the 10 scale. 6/10 is considered below average. You can disagree with what I'm saying, but it has nothing to do with math.

DenogginizerOS

I secretly wanted the reviews to appeal to the casual. More cannon fodder. But as predicted, the gaming journalists appear to have taken it upon themselves to protect those who play with one hand firmly in the helping hand of the game's designer.

PowderedToast

anyone that was expecting reviewers to have an understanding of the game design and systems behind twisted metal were setting themselves up for disappointment. g4 is the standard.

ElRenoRaven

anyone that was expecting reviewers to have an understanding of the game design and systems behind twisted metal were setting themselves up for disappointment. g4 is the standard.

Exactly. Anyone knew these reviews were coming. Don't let them get to you guys. Oh and Shoot My Truck is now working and live. No shots yet. Truck is spinning on a platform.

Reading some of the complaints of the reviews, I have to agree with 2 in particular: both the physics and the controls being problematic at times. For instance, Sweet Bot is a fucking nightmare to control, and an accidental press of L1 or R1 automatically makes you lose the Special. Pretty goddamn annoying. As for the physics, they're Havok, so as usual they can be pretty wonky (and frustrating).

As for the campaign complaints... eh. I'm enjoying it because there's more to it than just DM after DM match until you hit a boss, but I still don't understand why we couldn't have a story for every character/vehicle like in the old TM games. My guess is that it's because of the live action cutscenes, and while they're cool and everything... I'm not sure that they were worth the loss of everyone other character in the series as well as their stories.

Aside from those complaints, I'm having a blast with the game. I think the AI are cheaters with the sniper rifle on Twisted, though.

When customizing the colors of your cars, how in the hell do you move the target in the color grid? It says L1 up and L2 down but I can't adjust the color any more than just the default 9 squares.
You can only select the color from the color grid if "U-Mix-It" is selected.

Just read through the Joystiq one. They said the online is awesome but docked all points off because the campaign is "unfair" and Talon is "cheap."

This is what I'm afraid of. I'm a TM vet but the single player demo kicked my ass. Everyone was out for me, not competing against everyone else like in past games.

DenogginizerOS

I never imagined a game that portrays a car combat festival to the death with 15 other psychopaths trying to win as being fair. Funny that reviewers seem to want Mario Kart Metal than Twisted Metal.

Cactus

Banned
I quickly skimmed through the reviews and most of them seem fair. There are a couple exceptions, however...

This is what I'm afraid of. I'm a TM vet but the single player demo kicked my ass. Everyone was out for me, not competing against everyone else like in past games.

The demo was in hard mode. You can toggle the difficulty in the retail release to whatever suits your fancy.

DaBuddaDa

/5 and /10 systems are not necessarily compatible. Aside from a few exceptions (who are usually inconsistent in this regard), 7/10 is the average score for the 10 scale. 6/10 is considered below average. You can disagree with what I'm saying, but it has nothing to do with math.

In G4's case it's not a out-of-5 scale, it's a out-of-10 scale as they allow for half stars. Therefore there are 10 possible 'score units' a game can get and it directly translates to any factor-of-10 scale. This is the same as Joystiq. If G4 wanted to give the game a 7 out of ten, they could have given it 3.5/5, but they didn't. Giantbomb for example is a different story as they don't allow for halves.

I quickly skimmed through the reviews and most of them seem fair. There are a couple exceptions, however...

The demo was in hard mode. You can toggle the difficulty in the retail release to whatever suits your fancy.

The demo was also challenge mode where in campaign you'll have a garage with two additional cars to use.

BHK3

Banned
The gun is shootmytruck is shooting right now!!! I repeat shots fired shots fired! Use camera 4 for a FPS look. Doesn't seem like much damage was except for a really tiny random fireball.

ElRenoRaven

Man watching people shoot is sad. Most are not even trying to shoot the truck and totally suck at aiming. lol cam 4 is so cool. It's the guns sight.

The car combat genre has not come a long way since the 90s at all....and I'm personally glad it has arcade-style physics over trying to play car combat with GTA IV style controls and physics.

Either way, I made my purchase so that's that I guess.
But the review failed to recognize that this isn't a game for people looking for a well rounded driving game. If you're looking for a driving game you picked the wrong game. Don't be fooled, these things only look like cars. And the physics are how they are for a reason. Cars get popped up into the air so you can string together combos like how in fighting games characters get popped up in the air for the same reason.

Helscream

Banned
"Pinball physics and extremely old-school design add frustration"
"Controls can be problematic and certain level and design elements are poorly executed"

Seriously G4? Sigh. I saw this shit coming way back. Funny how they say Twisted Metal has unspectacular graphics. It was the same shit when MAG came out. You know, lets ignore the 256 players shooting/grendading/RPG/Vehicles/Airstrikes and all that shit going on simultaneously. You have so much shit going on at once with all these destructible? I mean WTF is with these people? You have shit like tiny chain-linked fences with garbage pins, you break inside a grocery store playing music while you go get the health pack. I mean did they ignore all the small detail?

They probably played the game for 2 hours then wrote the review. You barely scratch the surface of the game. Might as well call it a first impression. I had just got done with the Diablo Pass race with Sweet Tooth and that shit was so damn chaotic and fun.

/End Rant

bonesquad

Initial scores are about what I guessed, around an 8/10. Which is a good score. I did find G4's negative bullet point of "Pinball physics and extremely old-school design" to be funny. I mean isn't that the point? That's why I enjoyed the demo at least.

And I thought the graphics looked pretty good. The one game I played online with 10 other players it ran super smooth.

I agree with this. While mathematically it is the same, the 'quality' of the game the score tries to convey is not. A 3/5 does not equal a 6/10. Which is why metacritic scores are so hard to take seriously. I just like it as a nice aggregate of links to reviews of games.

Sullichin

I hope this does well. But i personally can't justify buying this today, the timing just isn't good for me. I still have way too many 2011 games to get through and I'm still obsessed with Dark Souls. Looking forward to reading more impressions from gaffers though.

How long is TM:B going to be included? just the first pressing?

DenogginizerOS

Sterling's review seemed pretty fair. Not a nailing to a wall by any stretch. In fact, I just read a comment by him that states Jaffe asked him at E3 to shred his game, if appropriate, and he felt he was fair.

its campaign mode bringing scores down. even tho TM has always been about multiplayer and it should be weighted to reflect that in scores... knew it was coming since tm2 got HORRIBLE scores before more than 10 years ago lol.

PLAYING NOW. ITS A BLAST!

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
It amazes me that people complain that COD rules everything and that they wish games like this would sell better so there could be a bigger variety in the market. Then, they review COD like it has not been the exact same thing for the last six+ years and when a new Twisted Metal comes out after how many years they nitpick the single player.

I am so happy that Double Fine, with their kickstarter, is showing how nitch games can be very popular.

You would think some of these reviewers care about the industry as a whole and not try so hard to bash TM.

Keep giving the no learning curve, no skill, health regen, camperfest, slow paced COD 9s and give a game that you actually have to move to survive a lower score due to difficulty being too hard and a helicopter.

/rant

Concept17

Just read through the Joystiq one. They said the online is awesome but docked all points off because the campaign is "unfair" and Talon is "cheap."

From the G4 review
".....the combat and controls aren’t as nearly as refined as Rage’s car combat"

I certainly hope this isn't true.

Fucking terrible. This game should control nothing like Rage. Completely different game in every way, with far deeper mechanics in TM.

Can't say I'm too surprised though. TM is very much a unique game that not everyone can get a handle on.

prwxv3

Fucking terrible. This game should control nothing like Rage. Completely different game in every way, with far deeper mechanics in TM.

Can't say I'm too surprised though. TM is very much a unique game that not everyone can get a handle on.

Talon is not cheap at all. Any good player can destroy a talon if they know what they are doing.

Top Bottom