• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So how do I beat the second phase of the first boss fight? I can't get close enough for my gunner to do anything. Do I have to wait until I reach 100%? It seems impossible to get that close!

rdrr gnr

Just finished the Sweet Tooth campaign. I'll probably end up writing an thorough review in the coming days, otherwise known as an essay.

I will have to say. I read G4's review and the reviewer is defending his assessment in the comments section. He seems like a bit of a crybaby.

Anyone figure out how to use a sniper yet? I'm trying to learn how to get a headshot to the driver but can't figure out how to get those controls.

You just have to maintain line of sight with the enemy car, and a little timer next to the aiming reticule will tick up, the icon will change from a car, to a tire, to a gas tank, and finally if you can keep the sniper on the target for long enough you'll get an up close view of the driver for a headshot insta-kill. The rate the timer goes up depends on how fast you're moving staying still will make it go up faster.

RagnarokX

Anyone figure out how to use a sniper yet? I'm trying to learn how to get a headshot to the driver but can't figure out how to get those controls.

You have to hold it on a person. The longer you target someone, the more damage you do when you press fire again. Stay still to make it charge faster.

rdrr gnr

There is no traditional 'headshot' -- it's timer based. Allow the laser to target an enemy, notice that a 'timer' will on the reticule. Allow it to fill up and it will auto-headshot certain enemies.

Tokubetsu

Anyone else getting an audio glitch where sound just totally cuts out for a few seconds? Happens after a big explosion/crash sometimes. Might be something on my end.

I've been having some good luck with the online battles right now. I've gotten into a few matches and while I sucked my first game (12th out of 13) I managed to pull 2nd place in my second one. I'm not sure when I'll dive into the single-player, but I have to say I'm absolutely having a blast in multiplayer. I hope the online community stays active.

So how do I beat the second phase of the first boss fight? I can't get close enough for my gunner to do anything. Do I have to wait until I reach 100%? It seems impossible to get that close!

you talking about the brothers grimm? you have to basically get UNDER the truck and stay there until it reaches 100%. once it initially reaches 100%, the 2nd meter of him planting the bomb starts. you don't need to stay under there for that, just get away for a while and let him get the C4 % up to 100%. then its pretty much cake from there!

Killer

Banned
Great job on keeping your promise Jaffe" network issues will be over with retail version". That's just a lie. Oh and don't say it's Sony's fault. He told us the game will be fine and he should be accountable for this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
you talking about the brothers grimm? you have to basically get UNDER the truck and stay there until it reaches 100%. once it initially reaches 100%, the 2nd meter of him planting the bomb starts. you don't need to stay under there for that, just get away for a while and let him get the C4 % up to 100%. then its pretty much cake from there!

But I keep bouncing off the wheels under the truck...it seems impossible on Hard to me. :(

But I keep bouncing off the wheels under the truck...it seems impossible on Hard to me. :(

well keep in mind you dont have to stay EXACTLY under, but you can't drift too far away. it is a delicate balancing of control + the right amount of gas and you'll stay under there. the brothers grimm guy isn't too fast so dont be afraid to let off the gas just a bit to stay in line with him

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
well keep in mind you dont have to stay EXACTLY under, but you can't drift too far away. it is a delicate balancing of control + the right amount of gas and you'll stay under there. the brothers grimm guy isn't too fast so dont be afraid to let off the gas just a bit to stay in line with him

Ah, thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow. So frustrating, gah. Still love this game so far.

Yup, pretty fucking annoyed. Just beat the Sweet tooth campaign and it froze when I beat the boss. After the PS3 restarted and I load up again everythings been erased. My first Twisted Metal experience hasnt been nice to me. I hope the online problems are fixed soon.

even though i haven't been able to get into an online game (only tried once earlier tonight) i can say single player is 100% legit. this is by far the best single player twisted metal ever and it's not even close. i love the variety and i will play whatever ESP wants to make race mode DLC for multiplayer! that shit was built for multiplayer online.... i can only imagine the craizness that would happen when you have you and 10+ people doing that race online.

beyond that, the way the story unfolds is pretty awesome. love the FMV and the twilight zone style ending (only beat sweet tooths so far). ive always loved twisted metals endings and thats why i was so disappointed when i heard there would only be 3 people playable in campaign mode but the story portions are so well done that i can accept it here

of course online needs to be ironed out before they can even think about expanding it but as i said (and as i say with all online games) i'll give them a week to get the stuff straightened out. i don't give a shit who is to blame and i'm not holding any grudges. just get it up and running with a stable system within a week and that should be enough

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The amusement park level is fucking awesome.

Best vehicle to take down Iron Maiden? Normal difficulty and going for TMA (no deaths/garage uses).

I did it with meatwagon. Makes the nuke like segment easy, but the special itself sucks for the actual boss. Good armor/speed which you need, though.

Unicorn

I'm wanting a PS3 headset. How do they work? Could I also use it for skype and stuff on my computer since they're bluetooth?

Also, what's a good cheap one?

Can someone explain to me how the ranked XP system works? Do only the top 3 people get XP because I finished two matches and my XP hasn't gone up from 630.

Also my game just froze in the middle of an online match that I was doing alright in. Dammit.

EDIT: Also getting headshots with the sniper rifle in vs. is pretty damn satisfying. I was sitting at one end of the bridge and locked on to a guy at the other end who was coming towards me, and headshotted him right as he came flying past me. Awesome.

Man I don't know how I did it but I beat one of the juggernauts in like 3 missle hits. I ended up dying and now I'm unable to perform that magic again. Loving the game so far but I had to stop because I was getting motion sickness (for the first time ever in a game).

ElRenoRaven

So I decided to go back and look at that awful G4 review and got to reading the comments. Seems most were like wtf are you smoking. But the reviewer defended his review with this gem of a reply. This reply should really tell you all you need to know about that reviewer and what a dumbass he really is.

Wow. Thanks everyone for your usual level of insightful commentary. I can always count on you guys for this sort of feedback.

In case you didn't know, I'm the guy who wrote the review (not Adam, so leave the poor guy alone). Without going blow-by-blow, I'll say a few words on the matter.

First off, 3 was my optimistic score. If you're happy playing a game that's nearly 20 years old, more power to you. Most gamers, I believe, expect there to be some kind of evolution in gameplay and Twisted Metal doesn't have any. Seriously, if you just want the same damn thing you got when you were nine, that's fine. More power to you, as the developer has given you exactly that.

Twisted Metal is a game built on the homage to the sort of heavy metal slasher-themed B-movies one might assume the developers loved, but the problem with this genre--be it games or movies--is that it's really hard to do well. TM gets the atmosphere right with its cinematics, but just feels cheap in most other places. The graphics are completely lackluster and there's just bits of laziness throughout. The handbrake is a perfect example--go ahead and hold it down without pressing any button, then steer. The car magically goes in a circle. Lame.

Also, to all those who are so adamant that the driving mechanics don't matter... What? This clearly isn't a racing game--as the racing levels vividly prove--but just because the gameplay focuses on shooting is no excuse whatsoever to not have a decent driving model. To suggest it doesn't matter is ludicrous. No matter what you want to believe, this is a driving game... it's a CAR combat game, and driving is the activity you constantly engage in. Shooting is the activity you engage in as much as possible, but the odds are if you're shooting you're also driving... The driving model feels 20 years old.

I love car combat games. Love them. And I've played a ton of them, including all the old Twisted Metal games. They were decent, if unexceptional games, period. Fun, shallow, and dumb. Much as we all like to jump aboard the nostalgic retro train the simple fact is this: games are better now. Technology and design have come a long way, and I'm sick to death of developers (particularly those from the 90's) who feel content to just shove out the same old crap they always did. It's a particular issue I have with most of the AAA-shooter houses from the 90's. And they don't like me much either.

Finally, give it a rest with the "G4 is biased against Sony" or "paid off by Microsoft". Many of us who review these games don't even work for G4 directly, we just happen to love and care about games and the industry. I divide my time pretty heavily among all platforms and most of my favorite games of last year I personally played on my PS3(s)--Killzone 3, Batman: AC, Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, LBP2... just to name a few. The system we, as reviewers, play on is virtually irrelevant.

Just because our opinion doesn't match up with yours does not mean we're on some mythical take. Eventually, you'll have to understand that different people have different opinions and that doesn't mean you can act like an idiot over it. Unless you actually do want to keep living in your mom's basement wondering why real girls won't talk to you.

Also, and for the record, I really can't stand the Call of Duty games. So comparing any of those damn games to a review I write is pointless. I'm not that fond of Halo either.

Thank you and good night.

So as you can see he's an insulting prick to start with. Then he reveals that he's never really cared for the franchise. The one point I will give him is his telling off the idiots saying G4 is biased and paid off by MS bullshit. I agree those people are fucking morons. But it's obvious he went into his review with a bias against the franchise to begin with.

So I decided to go back and look at that awful G4 review and got to reading the comments. Seems most were like wtf are you smoking. But the reviewer defended his review with this gem of a reply. This reply should really tell you all you need to know about that reviewer and what a dumbass he really is.

Wow. Just....wow. This guy just complained about the handbrake making you turn in a circle in a game that often requires super quick 180's to line up weapon shots. This guy just complained about the driving model when it's PERFECT for this style of game. I haven't played something that felt this tight since Bayonetta. This guy just called the game "Shallow, and dumb." He has NO idea what Twisted Metal is. He also says the graphics are "lackluster" without even taking into consideration the amount of crap happening on screen with almost no framerate issues.

Just another guy in the "terrible game critic" line. smh

Massa

So as you can see he's an insulting prick to start with. Then he reveals that he's never really cared for the franchise. The one point I will give him is his telling off the idiots saying G4 is biased and paid off by MS bullshit. I agree those people are fucking morons. But it's obvious he went into his review with a bias against the franchise to begin with.

I'm sure a lot of people will play TM and feel the exact same way as that reviewer, there's nothing wrong with that.

the one thing i will agree with him on is different people have different opinions and i think if you are a reviewer its impossible to not bring SOME bias into the equation. i disagree with almost everything he says in the review. this game DOES feel fresh. the graphics are very appealing to me and the level design is awesome.

its like me saying "hey call of duty sucks dick. it's a FPS. this is the same game i was playing 15 years ago when i got quake!" uh, no it wasn't. and no this twisted metal isn't the same as the one that came out "20 years ago". you know the one that was on supernintendo? yeah that was my favorite one.

twisted metal is an arcade style car combat shooter and if someone doesn't like the genre i'm not going to hate on their opinion. but i think in some regards he crossed the "opinion" line and started saying things that were just fucking stupid and not true in his review.

then he tops it off with the age old "move out of ur moms basement lolololllllllll" insult. real classy. this guy can go eat a bag of dicks, whether he gives twisted metal a 1 star, 3 star or 5 star he comes off like a fucking giant doucher

Helscream

Banned

Well that explains a lot. I can understand being bounced around like a tennis ball with all those AI hammering you down in the singe player. That is a legitimate complaint. But this dumb son of a bitch wants to say "if you want the same thing when you were nine go ahead"? Are fucking serious?

The reason why we want that type of game because it has more depth then shit that is coming out today. COD is like the same rehashed shit over and over. Yet that game gets dry humped to praise. Counter Strike came way before COD and still does it better. Can't believe people of this type get paid as a journalist. Everyone wants to be a critic and a fan. If there not a fan of the game they go at it bias as can be. Unbelievable the level of bullshit this guy is full of.

twisted metal is an arcade style car combat shooter and if someone doesn't like the genre i'm not going to hate on their opinion. but i think in some regards he crossed the "opinion" line and started saying things that were just fucking stupid and not true in his review.

THIS is the issue. It's one thing to have an opinion and back it up with credible criticism, but he's coming off like someone who has no idea what the game is trying to accomplish and docks points because of it. Then he goes into the "tired of developers churning out the same stuff" when there hasn't been a big budget TM game for 10 years, and this one is significantly deeper.

Now I know why I stopped reading reviews. Gaf opinions >>>> "journalists"

His review just came off like he went in with an idea of what to expect, played a half hour, and figured, yep that's what I expected and wrote a review.

No one expects that everyone is going to have the same opinion, but if nothing else a good review needs to be thorough and unbiased, that's why I like sites that do a "review by committee". It's clear when a review only represents an single individuals opinion and not a majorities.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Shockingly open bias from G4. That's just embarrassing for them. If I was Sony PR I'd tell them to take a fucking hike.

ElRenoRaven

His review just came off like he went in with an idea of what to expect, played a half hour, and figured, yep that's what I expected and wrote a review.

No one expects that everyone is going to have the same opinion, but if nothing else a good review needs to be thorough and unbiased, that's why I like sites that do a "review by committee". It's clear when a review only represents an single individuals opinion and not a majorities.

I don't think it's that even. I think he went in with a clear dislike of the franchise and made it a point to shit all over it objectivity be damned. I never have let reviews bother me but this one came off like some troll level pure bullshit. I know you'll never get a 100 percent unbiased reviewer. However I do think a reviewer should be able to look at the game their reviewing objectively. This guy obviously could not do that.

Killer

Banned
Sometimes you wonder if they are playing the same game. I can go on and nitpick on everything on TM but overall it's one of the most refreshing and fun to play in years. That's just an indication that reviewers don't know shit. Good thing they put out a demo and some people can see the game for themselves. I still think that demo had a lot of issues but if you looked beyond them, it's really a good game. Hope Sony and ESP get their shit together and fix matchnaking problems.

Man took 9 1/2 minutes but I finally finished the Juggs level on Twisted. Such a crapshoot as to whether you will spawn near him or not. Spent minutes just wandering around looking for him.

Juggernaut takes double damage to his grill and his ass when his doors are open. Did you have power missiles?

I can't recall, it happened so fast. The game started and 20 seconds later I killed one. It must have been a combination of power missiles and his rear doors being opened but I just mashed R2. Oh well, I'll take it.

After raging because I lost all my progress I came back pissed and beat Sweet Tooths story twice as damn fast. His ending was awesome. If they do make the film I hope it looks like the cutscenes. Simply amazing.

ElRenoRaven

Jaffe informed G4 of his love for them, and his hate towards that tool. Love it.

HAHAHA. Guess I wasn't the only one taking a look at the comments on that review.

Sweet Tooth's ending was predictable

Yes it was but man was it delicious. I'm almost done with Grimms and I have to say they're can see the twists coming a mile away. Still doesn't make them any less fun. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the individual drivers per car though. I really am. But what I am getting in the Singleplayer so far is damn good.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Jaffe informed G4 of his love for them, and his hate towards that tool. Love it.

Good for Jaffe. You'd think a freelance writer more than anyone would know to exhibit a little professionalism. If I was G4, why would I want someone like that representing my brand? Cut the cord and move on to the next one, there's always people eager to fill that role.

I actually have a bigger problem with G4 for publishing the review then the guy who wrote it. Because when it comes down to it, the dudes just an idiot, and the world is filled with them, but it's G4 that needs to have some quality control here. They're a major gaming website, and reviews are one of the most important, and heated, sections of a gaming site. So how about having 3 or 4 people review the game, or some sort of committee to make a single comprehensive review? Why just throw the entire burden on some random jobber and take the heat when it turns out he doesn't know what he's talking about?

BHK3

Banned
Someone find out what the god mode code is because I can't beat the dual juggernauts in dollfaces story on twisted.

I dont understand the complaint about turning a circle? If the controls were not precise and exaggerated, then more people would complain that the game is a pain in the ass.

It's a silly complaint

Top Bottom