• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

BHK3

Banned
I can't do this level on normal, stuck right now. There's only 2 health kits?

Yup, gas station and on top of that small bridge.

I'm using talon because thats the only way I can get near the cars to shoot them. If I'm on the ground they all chase me till I'm dead.

Tokubetsu

I dont understand the complaint about turning a circle? If the controls were not precise and exaggerated, then more people would complain that the game is a pain in the ass.

It's a silly complaint

All about how your gasing and braking man. People don't want to learn shit.

DeFrank

What's the deal with the racing levels? None of the three were that difficult on hard... the third one was challenging maybe, but not cheap. Haven't tried them on twisted yet, though. Boss battles were crazy good too.

About 3 of the 4 reviews I read (Destructoid, Joystiq, IGN, & G4) were bashing the story mode and it's like I'm playing a completely different game. I think if you suck at video games you shouldn't be allowed to review them. I think Joystiq is one of the worst offenders in this regard (though I enjoy reading the blog).

Movie reviewers generally understand the craft & lean away from mainstream opinions and commend films for appealing to people who appreciate them as an artform.

Game journalism feels like the exact opposite.

Tokubetsu

What's the deal with the racing levels? None of the three were that difficult on hard... the third one was challenging maybe, but not cheap. Haven't tried them on twisted yet, though. Boss battles were crazy good too.

About 3 of the 4 reviews I read (Destructoid, Joystiq, IGN, & G4) were bashing the story mode and it's like I'm playing a completely different game. I think if you suck at video games you shouldn't be allowed to review them. I think Joystiq is one of the worst offenders in this regard (though I enjoy reading the blog).

Movie reviewers generally understand the craft & lean away from mainstream opinions and commend films for appealing to people who appreciate them as an artform.

I kind of had this complaint towards a lot of the GB Quick Looks. Now I'm a fan of GB but if you're gonna do a quick look, and you're fumbling and guessing at shit through it, then why the fuck even bother? You can't look on wiki real quick before taping to get a franchise history? Get some context and know what you're dealing with? The same goes for reviews.

BHK3

Banned
Wow I am getting angry just thinking about having to beat that shit on Twisted.

I'm honestly at the point where I think there's some trick I'm not doing, like, this is literally TOO HARD. There HAS to be something I'm missing that should make this easier. Experimentation doesn't really work when you die in 10 seconds though.

I tweeted Jaffe asking how to beat it(I'm desperate) but he hasn't replied yet.

AwShucks

Absolutely am loving the singleplayer. I'm 2/3 and it's a shame that there won't be a story for each vehicle but what is here is great, classic TM in my opinion. Love the boss fights and the overall stage variety as well.

BHK3

Banned
So how do you unlock Warthog?

Beat twisted mode with gold on every event.

It's not worth it, just play multiplayer and rank up and you'll get him then. I don't even think you can use him for multiplayer once you unlock him in singleplayer.

bonesquad

I've had a blast playing this so far. I'm terrible at it, but whatever:) I'll do ok and get 4-5 kills in a row, and then proceed to die 8-9 times in a row:( Forget about nuke where I have yet to launch a missile, or stop an opponent's missile.

In the 5 hours I've played between on/offline I haven't run into any bugs or other issues, except connection errors. Grrr! At least it's quick so the 6-7 games I have to try before one works only takes a minute or two. They need to fix this though, and hopefully soon.

Why is TM Black a 3.5GB download? I didn't expect that for a PS2 game.

Tokubetsu

I've had a blast playing this so far. I'm terrible at it, but whatever:) I'll do ok and get 4-5 kills in a row, and then proceed to die 8-9 times in a row:( Forget about nuke where I have yet to launch a missile, or stop an opponent's missile.

In the 5 hours I've played between on/offline I haven't run into any bugs or other issues, except connection errors. Grrr! At least it's quick so the 6-7 games I have to try before one works only takes a minute or two. They need to fix this though, and hopefully soon.

Why is TM Black a 3.5GB download? I didn't expect that for a PS2 game.

Well, ps2 games were on dvds man.

It's not worth it, just play multiplayer and rank up and you'll get him then. I don't even think you can use him for multiplayer once you unlock him in singleplayer.

Actually, that's the only way you can unlock him in multiplayer.

Anyway, I'm disappointed to hear that there's another dual Juggernaut event in Dollface's campaign. Ugh. The Grimm one was a pain in the ass itself on Twisted.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Games are seen as $60 products to consume then threw away. As long as they are seen that way, they will be reviewed that way.

Also, you have 4 different review sites stating the same problem (Gametrailers has similar complaints too, so five). Isn't it time to consider the fact that is actually IS an issue?

RagnarokX

You can't get Warthog by ranking up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Actually, that's the only way you can unlock him in multiplayer.

Anyway, I'm disappointed to hear that there's another dual Juggernaut event in Dollface's campaign. Ugh. The Grimm one was a pain in the ass itself on Twisted.

The one on dollface's campaign is actually 2 beefed up juggernauts to boot.

Helscream

Banned
Well I have unlocked all the Tier 1 Vehicles. I had figured once I did that, then the Tier 2 Vehicles would be available. Apparently not. I don't know if you have to reach a specific rank, but I was hoping to unlock Darkside before I went to sleep.

DeFrank

Games are seen as $60 products to consume then threw away.

I disagree. If that were the case then replayability wouldn't be a factor in scoring.

Also, you have 4 different review sites stating the same problem (Gametrailers has similar complaints too, so five). Isn't it time to consider the fact that is actually IS an issue?

For the record, IGN liked the single player campaign.

I guess I don't think it's an issue because of the reasoning I am hearing behind it. Like difficulty, it's cheap, etc. I know this is no Street Fighter, but it seems like difficulty is pretty tough to measure if you only have a few days with the game. And also if you suck at it.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Doh, went through unlocking all the vehicles in single player only to find out it's a different unlock system for multiplayer.

Minion101

Banned
I guess I don't think it's an issue because of the reasoning I am hearing behind it. Like difficulty, it's cheap, etc. I know this is no Street Fighter, but it seems like difficulty is pretty tough to measure if you only have a few days with the game. And also if you suck at it.

I remember when I thought that 1 challenge that was put in the demo was insanely hard (it's not at all). Just a matter of learning to play.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm actually kind of blown away by this game. I ordered it based on my interest in the past but I wasn't really feeling like playing that much, oddly enough. I did end up sitting down, however, and I played for 3 hours straight. Once you get the hang of it again it's an absolute blast to play. Really well designed.

I'm also really enjoying the story mode. Yeah, it's just event after event, but it's fun as hell and the cutscenes are shockingly cool. I was surprised at just how brutal they allow them to get. Love it!

Also, the game has some great atmosphere just like Black. I thought Head On kind of missed that but I'm glad they're back to this dark urban environment. Here's hoping for a rain storm ala Black.

dreamfall

Too busy playing Multiplayer! Haven't even gotten around to starting the single player stuff- 4 player split screen deathmatches feel so good! Game is totally brilliant- learning how to effectively use your weapons feels so gratifying!

I just love finally getting into a room and the host is asleep. There needs to be a host veto vote or a vote to start patch.

Syndicate smartly had this in the demo. I've kicked numerous hosts who just sat there and the match would promptly start right after as everyone else was ready.

SykoTech

A shame to hear that the matchmaking is still screwed up. I'm not even that big of an online gamer, but this is a game that absolutely NEEDS to have it working properly. Better get fixed fast.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
If you are like me and you miss the days of games having an edge to them and not being afraid to be just a video game, then go out and buy Twisted Metal. Technically proficient, the frenetic gameplay embraces its dark world with unflinching brutality that one would expect if they were engaged in a fight to the death with psychopaths. With only (hopefully temporary) some network issues holding its launch's hype back, this is a game any fan of the series should definitely buy without hesitation. Take yourself away from the bombastic PR punks peddling yet another Call of Duty, and take a ride in David Jaffe's deliciously disturbing car combat game.

Thanks for adding me to all those who did. Got to the title screen and activated the online pass, but didnt get to play at all last night. Bought a wireless router that just refuses to work with me at all (like all wireless routers have dealt with).

Will be able to put some good time into this tonight though, looking forward to it. Sad that there is no Thumper, I will miss destroying fools with my pink caddie!

J-Rod

I really wish there wasn't any unlock business for multi. I feel like I have to do work before I can play the game.

Valnen

I really wish there wasn't any unlock business for multi. I feel like I have to do work before I can play the game.

It takes 30 seconds at the most...

Assuming you're talking about the online pass. If you're talking about everything else, well...it gives you a reason to play the game.

J-Rod

It takes 30 seconds at the most...

Assuming you're talking about the online pass. If you're talking about everything else, well...it gives you a reason to play the game.

Talking about vehicles. Surely no one should get mad about typing twelve characters.

boosh5

Banned
Is there any way to invert the free look?

I noticed this in the demo and complained a bunch on here and to David on Twitter. I'm really hoping he notices and this gets addressed in the next patch.

I can manage without it, but I would really prefer to have it. Reaper's alt completely screws me up right now.

AEREC

Loving the game...havent tried multi yet though, just been playing single player and challenges.

One thing that does drive me nuts though is that it seems to take forever to boot up the game, from the moment I press play on the XMB to the moment you can get into actual gameplay feels like 5+ minutes.

The demo was pretty quick with the loading too, but the retail version seems to take much longer. I realize it's because it isnt installed on the HDD (would have been nice to have the option).

Also it looks like Axel codes go tsent out from Amazon. Might be my new favorite vehicle.

ElRenoRaven

Also it looks like Axel codes go tsent out from Amazon. Might be my new favorite vehicle.

Yes they did early this morning. Took them long enough. I'm torn. Having fought the AI using him I can see how cheap he can be. Course he's very light armored too. So if I ever get a chance to actually get into a game with him I'll be able to judge him better for myself.

The races are some of the best parts of the single player imo. A little trial and error to figure out the route, but it's so much chaotic fun.

I'm going to wait until online is cleared up/drops $10/Mardi Gras is over.

Then I'll be right there with everyone.

Can I unlock Axel? I've heard two different things....

Rawker

great game, only got to play for about an hour or so because of the wife. beat sweet tooths story on normal because i couldn't get into a game online. i hate single player games but this was pretty sweet, the different objectives kept my attention so i think i'll try it on twisted difficulty tonight. ended up getting into a mp game after and played a game of nuke which i loved in the demo. my outlaw seemed to have less armor online for some reason, the people i was playing against weren't the best but i got smoked a few times real quick, who knows maybe i got gang banged from behind. the game runs great and i'm happy with it, would like my rear view mirror and i think the reverse freeze i unlocked in single player needs to be unlocked in mp because it didn't seem to work in mp (maybe i was doing it wrong). overall a sick game, lets just hope the mp is populated a couple of months from now.

Top Bottom