• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Moofers

Loving it so far. Just started up Grimm's part of the story and then took a break for some online action.

Joined the GAF clan and the chat room that Hunter (think that's right?) started. What sucks is that you have to fuckin unlock all the stupid cars by leveling up? That's retarded. I want my shit ready to go NOW. I know how to play the game already, I don't need my hand held.

Anyone buy from Amazon and get their Axel code yet? Still waiting on mine.

BHK3

Banned
Anyone get to the dual juggernauts for dolls campaign on twisted or am I the only one here?

I figured that maybe reaper was the key. I mean, he can ONE SHOT, the juggernauts with a flaming chainsaw. The grill takes 2x damage and the open back takes 3x, but there's a huge flaw here. The back only opens up for a small amount of time, and even then there's a car coming out of it so all your attacks hit that car instead. Then you think, oh the grills must be easier, WRONG. You'd think just hitting the front of the truck with a chainsaw would work, but no, there's a very small specific spot on the nose of the truck that you have to hit that could mean either near death or a instant kill. Lets not forget he has turrets and bomb mines constantly coming out of him, plus all the other cars LOVE to ram you and push you away. One thing I don't understand is the damage output, one time I killed a juggernaut by throwing a flamingsaw at his grill and did 491 damage, since then I've only one shotted once more but I only did 300 damage. Now a flaming chainsaw does 140 damage, the grill is 2x damage so 300 is obvious, but where the hell did that 491 come from? And why can't I do it again?

Honestly if you find the magic technique to this then reaper is the way to beat it since you can just 1-2 punch everyone, otherwise I have no clue how the hell to beat this.

Moofers

Anyone get to the dual juggernauts for dolls campaign on twisted or am I the only one here?

I figured that maybe reaper was the key. I mean, he can ONE SHOT, the juggernauts with a flaming chainsaw. The grill takes 2x damage and the open back takes 3x, but there's a huge flaw here. The back only opens up for a small amount of time, and even then there's a car coming out of it so all your attacks hit that car instead. Then you think, oh the grills must be easier, WRONG. You'd think just hitting the front of the truck with a chainsaw would work, but no, there's a very small specific spot on the nose of the truck that you have to hit that could mean either near death or a instant kill. Lets not forget he has turrets and bomb mines constantly coming out of him, plus all the other cars LOVE to ram you and push you away. One thing I don't understand is the damage output, one time I killed a juggernaut by throwing a flamingsaw at his grill and did 491 damage, since then I've only one shotted once more but I only did 300 damage. Now a flaming chainsaw does 140 damage, the grill is 2x damage so 300 is obvious, but where the hell did that 491 come from? And why can't I do it again?

Honestly if you find the magic technique to this then reaper is the way to beat it since you can just 1-2 punch everyone, otherwise I have no clue how the hell to beat this.

For the 491, any chance you were firing your sidearm as well? That's the thing that makes the most sense to me.

Moofers

I'm not sure what possible sidearm can do an extra 191 damage.

I was thinking mega-guns or sawed-off at point blank. Just a shot in the dark though.

Game makes me very happy. Only thing is I wish there was some Ozzy Osbourne in the soundtrack. They got so many other awesome songs, I wish Ozzy had made it too.

BHK3

Banned
So far I'm finding sweet tooth to be the best chance against lilo and stitch. His special goes through everything and is really good for finding the juggernauts and is always a easy 40 points of damage. It's either him or Talon or Reaper.

ElRenoRaven

You know David really livens up the Shoot My Truck stuff. He's honestly curious about the inner workings of the Navy Seal guy and is asking all sorts of interesting questions.

And wow. They're going to give a VITA away apparently too.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I disagree. If that were the case then replayability wouldn't be a factor in scoring.

Replayability is another name for "Will this last you until the next big thing comes out to move on to."

Its overrated. Check your nearest Gamestop for proof.

Mrbob

If you are like me and you miss the days of games having an edge to them and not being afraid to be just a video game, then go out and buy Twisted Metal. Technically proficient, the frenetic gameplay embraces its dark world with unflinching brutality that one would expect if they were engaged in a fight to the death with psychopaths. With only (hopefully temporary) some network issues holding its launch's hype back, this is a game any fan of the series should definitely buy without hesitation. Take yourself away from the bombastic PR punks peddling yet another Call of Duty, and take a ride in David Jaffe's deliciously disturbing car combat game.

Seriously. This game isn't trying to be an experience. It isn't trying to be cinematic. It is just straight up jump in and have some fun. Can't wait to get home tonight and play some more!

I'll say this though: For a straight pick up and play game, the cut scenes in the story mode are pretty bad ass.

DeFrank

Replayability is another name for "Will this last you until the next big thing comes out to move on to."

Its overrated. Check your nearest Gamestop for proof.

Why? Because people trade in games? I guess I see if differently than you. I am not going to trade in this game unless I find a comparable one that I like better, seeing that Twisted Metal is pretty unique that brings me back to my original point of why I disagreed with some of the early reviews in the first place.

Questions for anyone that has tried matchmaking in a party

1. Does it match you up with another party or does it create a new lobby?

2. How long does it take other players to join? Will you be sitting there for a while with a party of 4-6 people? Will other parties join your game together?

I'm unsure if TM's matchmaking works like CoD or Halo or if it's just throwing you into a created game.

does this game seem like a better fit for downloading? I really wish I could just have it on my xmb at all times and play it. how many months usually does it take for full title downloads?

remist

2. How long does it take other players to join? Will you be sitting there for a while with a party of 4-6 people? Will other parties join your game together?

I'm unsure if TM's matchmaking works like CoD or Halo or if it's just throwing you into a created game. If it's the latter, it's an incredibly archaic system filled with problems (waiting for players to join, waiting for host to start game, a pain to get two teams of players in and on the right sides etc...).

We tried last night for 30 minutes and we errored out every time. I'd be surprised if anyone has been able to get into a game as a party. My guess is the latter, considering my experience with the online so far.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
If there is a map that had me fit to be tied, it was the skyscraper map with a rotating platform that bridged to other areas. I lost count of the number of times I fell off while playing nuke

Tokubetsu

Man, it's such a pain in the ass getting infront of Juggernaut. When you finally do, he takes a side street like the legit asshole he is.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Jesus, the gun is active and moving on ShootMyTruck with Jaffe and the others standing in front of it. It says some random person online is controlling it as well... lol.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jesus, the gun is active and moving on ShootMyTruck with Jaffe and the others standing in front of it. It says some random person online is controlling it as well... lol.
Well, either the safety is on, it's unloaded, or that's the world's dumbest trust exercise.

Helscream

Banned

I'm unsure if TM's matchmaking works like CoD or Halo or if it's just throwing you into a created game.

Well we had a team of up group up last night. I kept trying to join a team-based room, but kept getting match making errors out the ass. We tried quick-online, but the screen just sat on searching for at least 4 minutes then said "error". I decided to go ahead and create a lobby of my own and when I did all the members in the party followed suit. We played a game of FFA Hunted which is pretty damn fun. Some of the smaller variations of the maps make for a really frantic match.

1. When we tried to last night we could not enter a server because of the match making errors. Even using quick-online it got stuck on "searching". I will say that if the Master/Leader of the group creates a new lobby/server everyone in the group automatically follows.

2. I think in general it takes a longer time for other players to join because they are probably having match making issues as well. I have yet to see a team/clan of players pop into a server when I was waiting for the match to start. But I think alot of this is do to the match making issues.

I'll let everyone know more when/if we group up today.

This game is so much god damned fun

i beat sweet tooths campaign and need 3 golds on hard. i think i might start over on twisted, it's pretty easy on hard so far

however: getting your dumbass to plant the gunner under the monster truck was a NIGHTMARE. like memory lane 10 years from now "remember that fucking asshole part?"

ElRenoRaven

What did he say?

Said that really it was a budget limit game wise due to it having been designed as MP only originally. They really wanted to keep the passengers and would have had to make passengers for each person and that it just couldn't be done memory wise. He also said that if they were lucky enough to make a sequel they would figure some way to address that.

does online automatically save your progress? cause i played quite a bit last night and almost got to level 1 but then i played again online today and it showed i was back to zero!

ElRenoRaven

Nice. Now, how aboot dat Skinning

They're still working on that. Suggested just don't plan on it so that when it does happen you'll be shocked. lol

does online automatically save your progress? cause i played quite a bit last night and almost got to level 1 but then i played again online today and it showed i was back to zero!

It's supposed to. Someone mentioned that they had that happen to them too last night and David said it shouldn't reset like that and that it's probably a result of the server issues. Said that it would be looked at if still happening once the server issues are fixed.

Top Bottom