• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Didn't I read that Jaffe fought to not include an online pass with Twisted Metal..

I just rented it and as soon as it booted up I was prompted with a screen asking for an online pass..

I was curious to know how much it cost, so when I hit square for purchase.. a screen came up saying there was nothing available o_O

Sony forced them to have an online pass, and now Sony apparently are the reason the servers are fucking themselves. It would be kind of fantastic if they would actually fix the damn thing considering they opted to make it behind a paywall.

Cactus

Banned
Has anyone successfully downloaded and played TMB yet? My copy wouldn't stop flickering so I had to delete it and re-download.

bonesquad

TNT tomorrow on Giant Bomb might be interesting. They are supposed to play Twisted Metal. The key phrase is 'supposed to'...

TM is like a roller coaster. You have to sit through the connection errors, the lobbies where the game won't start, the game disconnects, the freezes/crashes (all like waiting in line for a ride). But once you get to play a game, it's so much fun.

That said, they need to fix this shit stat.

TeTr1C

What's a good vehicle to use for Dollface's race? Tried it with Road Boat and then Death Warrant. I'm always flying off the rooftops.

rCIZZLE

Some of you guys with conn issues should try creating. Doesnt help if you have a group but my buddy and I were able to splitscreen host for a few matches at a time before it booted everyone.

All golds on Twisted up to Dollface. Have a feeling it won't be any time soon I'll be unlocking Warthog, though. Dual Juggernauts is going to be rough. I finished maybe two multiplayer games tonight, instantly booted from countless others.

ElRenoRaven

All golds on Twisted up to Dollface. Have a feeling it won't be any time soon I'll be unlocking Warthog, though. Dual Juggernauts is going to be rough. I finished maybe two multiplayer games tonight, instantly booted from countless others.

Goddamn. I bow before you to get that far. I'm on normal and just completed normal on that level. All I have to say is that level is utter bullshit. So far I've loved every single one but that one is just bullshit. 2 healths with those tougher juggernauts is just almost impossible when you throw in the dogpile AI. Tried it with several vehicles and finally did it with Junkyard Dog. Needless to say I don't think I have ever been that frustrated with a Twisted Metal level before. I golded that fucker though somehow.

Also David was supposed to post an update on the network issues on his blog in 20 mins but that was over an hour ago.

Am I the only one having success in multiplayer? I mean, I get server errors when trying to find a first game, but once I get into a room I usually don't have any problems.

ElRenoRaven

Has anyone successfully downloaded and played TMB yet? My copy wouldn't stop flickering so I had to delete it and re-download.

I did. Worked nice and easy for me. The graphics are pretty rough tho lulz

I did. Worked perfect too. I also didn't think it looked that bad. Considering it was the PS2 version. Course maybe I'm used to it though cause I've been playing that version for the last 10 years lol. It's nice though to not have to dig the disc out now. That's the main reason I wish they would release the others on PSN to go along with 2.

Speaking of TMB though man it's actually a bit hard to play now since TMPS3. Anyone that says they haven't improved on the older games is ful of shit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Goddamn. I bow before you to get that far. I'm on normal and just completed normal on that level. All I have to say is that level is utter bullshit. So far I've loved every single one but that one is just bullshit. 2 healths with those tougher juggernauts is just almost impossible when you throw in the dogpile AI. Tried it with several vehicles and finally did it with Junkyard Dog. Needless to say I don't think I have ever been that frustrated with a Twisted Metal level before. I golded that fucker though somehow.

Also David was supposed to post an update on the network issues on his blog in 20 mins but that was over an hour ago.

Luckily the next levels after that have been fun as hell, but yeah. That double juggernaut level is grade A bullshit and horribly unfun. Sometimes the 2 trucks spawn so close to eachother you are put in a nearly impossible scenario where they both bombard you and eat your HP away.

And I was using sweet tooth to fly away. So much bullshit hit me even as I was up in the sky. Also love the perfectly timed freeze rays the moment I take off to stop me from getting away.

I finally got home to play. I dont know what the fuck some of these reviews are talking about. This is the most bat shit crazy game ever. Its easily the best TM. I was not able to get online with the demo but did get on to play nuke, that is bat shit crazy. I am playing on Normal and find it more friendly than the demo. Still challenging but not crazy hard. I love this game.

Yeah, I think I'm done.. This fucking obstacle course in the middle of the final boss is the biggest piece of shit I've had to endure in quite some time. I simply cannot get past the wrecking balls, no matter how hard I try. Either I barely get clipped and get sent sky-high (and respawn at the beginning), or the rolling mines get stuck behind the various traps to greet me as soon as I pass them, which then stagger me and leave me to my death right in the trap. I can only take so many hits from the traps on Twisted, and the shields don't seem to do anything at all. It's ridiculous.

What the fuck does an obstacle course have to do with Twisted Metal, anyway? Why ARE there races in this game? Why does each boss in this game have at least 4 phases to it? Ugh.

I'm really, really disappointed in the campaign. It's pretty shit. I'd have much rather have had the old school DM campaign, with more characters and more stories. The stories in this one ARE good, mind you.. but the fact remains that there are only three, when the other TM's had like a dozen each game. The live action trade-off was not worth it at all, in my opinion.

That said, the gameplay is still pretty damn awesome (although the Havok physics pisses me off sometimes), and the online is extremely fun... when it's working. Hopefully they iron out the issues sooner than later.

Cactus

Banned
If you're having trouble with the wrecking balls, try putting up your shield and turbo ramming straight through them. If you're lucky, you'll either pass through without getting hit, or be deflected forwards rather than backwards.

Anyway, if you dislike the obstacle course, you'll really hate the battle that comes after it.

ElRenoRaven

EGM put up their review.

EGM

Thought it was pretty fair to the game. They pretty much docked it for what most of us have which is the car and weapon balance, the way singleplayer is done, and the online issues like the server issues and the lack of ability to remember your filter choices etc the next time you log in.

They did love the gameplay itself though along with the map design and game mode choices.

Oh and David is so tired he made a video update on network shit and is uploading so we should have the update shortly.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
If you're having trouble with the wrecking balls, try putting up your shield and turbo ramming straight through them. If you're lucky, you'll either pass through without getting hit, or be deflected forwards rather than backwards.

Anyway, if you dislike the obstacle course, you'll really hate the battle that comes after it.

Gotta ask ho you beat the boss post gauntlet. Wondering the route players are taking to kill. Thx!

What's a good vehicle to use for Dollface's race? Tried it with Road Boat and then Death Warrant. I'm always flying off the rooftops.
I beat it using Crimson Fury simply because its the fastest. Get out in front and never worry about anyone. Another good choice that I used on the other races (and I'd assume would be just as good hear) is Kamikaze. Right at the start switch to your secondary and EMP blast everyone around you. Then if anyone catches up do it again.

ElRenoRaven

Watching update now. Will edit with updates.

Working on Matchmaking. One thing is a text error that when room is full is giving network error.
Working all the time. It's Sony server side. Told lots of games have this issue. He's without a doubt pissed.

He's going to look at rank up system. Might be that level cap is really high. Might have to get to 12 or 13 to get to tier 2. Sony says skins are tomorrow. He doesn't sound like he really believes them. Matchmaking's priority when entering as party is to make teams even. Believes it tries to keep party on one team though or puts them in another room but he's not sure. Really tired and will check into it tomorrow. Says we have the right to tell them they suck. He'll update better tomorrow cause he looks like he's been blown up in a truck and is going to crash. lol

Poor guy.

BHK3

Banned
Yeah, I think I'm done.. This fucking obstacle course in the middle of the final boss is the biggest piece of shit I've had to endure in quite some time. I simply cannot get past the wrecking balls, no matter how hard I try. Either I barely get clipped and get sent sky-high (and respawn at the beginning), or the rolling mines get stuck behind the various traps to greet me as soon as I pass them, which then stagger me and leave me to my death right in the trap. I can only take so many hits from the traps on Twisted, and the shields don't seem to do anything at all. It's ridiculous.

What the fuck does an obstacle course have to do with Twisted Metal, anyway? Why ARE there races in this game? Why does each boss in this game have at least 4 phases to it? Ugh.

I'm really, really disappointed in the campaign. It's pretty shit. I'd have much rather have had the old school DM campaign, with more characters and more stories. The stories in this one ARE good, mind you.. but the fact remains that there are only three, when the other TM's had like a dozen each game. The live action trade-off was not worth it at all, in my opinion.

That said, the gameplay is still pretty damn awesome (although the Havok physics pisses me off sometimes), and the online is extremely fun... when it's working. Hopefully they iron out the issues sooner than later.
Yeah the physics drove me fucking nuts in the later levels.

I love how creative the last boss is but I hate how bullshit it is.

Another good point to mention regarding the obstacle course at the end is to pick a good vehicle. I started out using Road Boat and would get through the first two stages in 2 minutes flat but could never for the life of me get past the track stage. I'd constantly have to slow down and try to carefully plan my every move. After about 20 tries I finally decided to switch (shouldn't of been so stubborn) and used Death Warrant. First attempt I got all the way to the smashing fist and died which pissed me off. Second attempt I breezed through it without getting hit by anything other than the occasional spike ball. Didn't have to make a complete stop either.

The trick to the wrecking balls is to slow down before the first one and time it, a vehicle with good acceleration and speed like DW can make it through each row of wrecking balls before the make a second sweep (but don't hesitate to stop in between if you have to).

Overall though I disliked the final boss. It's cool and all but it felt so out of place. And really hated how you had to use Talon at the end, especially because even if you use Race controls the flight is mapped very much identically to Classic.

Cactus

Banned
Gotta ask ho you beat the boss post gauntlet. Wondering the route players are taking to kill. Thx!

Shoot down the flying Sweet Tooths, pick them up with the magnet, and drop them on the boss's head.

The main issue for me was that the hitbox on the boss was too small. It was very frustrating watching the cargo bounce off the side of his head (or even get stuck on the side of his head) and do 0 damage. It made the entire battle unnecessarily long, IMO.

A few other issues that I noticed were the aimer constantly switching between the enemies whenever more than one are flying directly in front of you, and the cargo randomly being demagnetized and falling. Not sure if those are somehow due to my own incompetence, though.

I definitely enjoyed the rest of campaign, but that battle was very, very frustrating for me, especially because it seems like it would have been really fun with a few tweaks and fixes.

I know this is far fetched... but perhaps someone doesn't plan on going online that doesn't need their online pass? I'd LOVE to take it off your hands if that's the case :)

just send me a private message..

I could gift you a game on steam? :)))

Does the shield actually work against them, though? In my experience it didn't help much at all, I still got hit pretty damn hard.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow, at any rate. I'm no quitter. Just for the night.

Another good point to mention regarding the obstacle course at the end is to pick a good vehicle. I started out using Road Boat and would get through the first two stages in 2 minutes flat but could never for the life of me get past the track stage. I'd constantly have to slow down and try to carefully plan my every move. After about 20 tries I finally decided to switch (shouldn't of been so stubborn) and used Death Warrant. First attempt I got all the way to the smashing fist and died which pissed me off. Second attempt I breezed through it without getting hit by anything other than the occasional spike ball. Didn't have to make a complete stop either.

The trick to the wrecking balls is to slow down before the first one and time it, a vehicle with good acceleration and speed like DW can make it through each row of wrecking balls before the make a second sweep (but don't hesitate to stop in between if you have to).
I was considering it but the Sweet Tooths in the beginning of the match are extremely ruthless on Twisted, I didn't think I would survive. I'm definitely gonna give it a shot tomorrow, though.

He actually covered that. In the update. It's priority is to keep teams even. He's going to check into that though tomorrow.

I can't think of any other game that intentionally splits a party up for balancing or whatever. I should be able to play on the same team as my friends (you guys <3) in ranked games. Perhaps matchmaking should be tweaked so a party will more likely get matched up with another party.

One more thing - Please patch it so ranked games start automatically once the player threshhold is met.

Cactus

Banned
Does the shield actually work against them, though? In my experience it didn't help much at all, I still got hit pretty damn hard.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow, at any rate. I'm no quitter. Just for the night.

You won't take any damage if your shield is on, but they'll still send you flying. I got lucky and one of the balls launched me forward and I ended up landing 3/4 way past the second set of balls with most of my health left.

EDIT: It's possible I'm wrong, but I could swear I took no damage when I had the shield up. I haven't actually tested it though, so maybe I'm mistaken.

GGs everyone. Fun but frustrating.

Jaffe, please change it so that all party members are put on the same team.
Yesterday I was all over ranked matches and a little today too, but then I thought to myself what's the point? I don't have much interest in an online leader board and if you do unranked there's so many benefits such as the option to change teams while in the lobby, enabled late join, and everything unlocked and ready to use. Not to mention a larger variety of settings to tweak with.

Only downside is I would like a stats sheet to look at just to reflect on how I'm doing but that's just for ranked. Would be nice if there was a separate stats page (with no leader board) for unranked but its not that big an issue.

You still get hurt even with a shield.

You won't take any damage if your shield is on, but they'll still send you flying. I got lucky and one of the balls launched me forward and I ended up landing 3/4 way past the second set of balls with most of my health left.

Mmm.. conflicting info. Again, in my experience, it didn't help at all. Maybe it's a Twisted thing?

Mr. Jaffe, if you're still around, what's the word on this?

ElRenoRaven

Yesterday I was all over ranked matches and a little today too, but then I thought to myself what's the point? I don't have much interest in an online leader board and if you do unranked there's so many benefits such as the option to change teams while in the lobby, enabled late join, and everything unlocked and ready to use. Not to mention a larger variety of settings to tweak with.

Only downside is I would like a stats sheet to look at just to reflect on how I'm doing but that's just for ranked. Would be nice if there was a separate stats page (with no leader board) for unranked but its not that big an issue.

That was mentioned today that when the updated website goes up it should have some stat tracking stuff on it.

Another thing: Player count should be an option for ranked games. 16 player free for all is just too crazy for me. An option to cap games at 8, 10, and 12 players would be nice.

Man, when this game works, it works. One of the best multiplayer games I've ever played. Just needs a bit more improved functionality with matchmaking (cap player count, switch teams, auto-start when threshhold is met).

dang, the jaffster looks beat. i've been in his situation before (i don't design games, but just at work when you are kind of dealing with shit that is somewhat beyond your control but you're the one who has to take the brunt of the anger for it) so i sympathize and had already said i'm not going to base opinion of online play on the first day or two. it's a shitty excuse but most online games do have these kinds of problems the first day or even week. it shouldn't happen but that's just how it is.

in that video he says you can press select to invite your friends but i didn't see that option. i press select and i can see my clan but there isn't any prompt (even if i press X on someones name) to "invite to game". the only way i can get into friends games is choose matches and then show friends only (press R2) and THEN join from there but i have no idea how to invite friends

Who cares when it's the best PS2 game ever made?

agreed, TMB is fucking awesome. i think the graphics were a little bit worse to me playing it today because i have probably played about 15-20 hours of twisted metal ps3 (between the official release and the demo) and it's just quite a step backwards.

i have played TMB quite a bit over the past 10 years but hadn't played it in about a year and a half since my 60gb ps3 broke and i had to get a 160gb one that isn't bc. i'm glad to have TMB though. even though the graphics themselves obviously can't stand up to todays TM, the framerate is smooth and the game is still fun

ElRenoRaven

So yea without a doubt the online is damn fun when it works. Even with all of our problems tonight when we were able to connect and play it was just insanely awesome. Some damn fun and close games we had too. We're going to have to do that more often too as the servers get fixed.

RagnarokX

I just did that level with Talon and gold medaled it on normal :D

ElRenoRaven

Please god yes. Very tiring sitting in lobbies that never start.

I'll third their requests. I would like that too. The few times I've gotten into some it seems that 1 outta say 3 times the host is pretty much asleep or something because you'll have enough to start and then the host won't and people then start dropping.

RagnarokX

One more thing - Please patch it so ranked games start automatically once the player threshhold is met.

No, because then rooms would start before the room fills up. What they could do is patch in auto start and let the host veto that; sort of a dead man's switch. Or they could patch in a vote to start system that the host can veto.

I'll third their requests. I would like that too. The few times I've gotten into some it seems that 1 outta say 3 times the host is pretty much asleep or something because you'll have enough to start and then the host won't and people then start dropping.

Ideally there would just be Call of Duty/Halo-style matchmaking in place of the current "quick match" option.

No, because then rooms would start before the room fills up. What they could do is patch in auto start and let the host veto that; sort of a dead man's switch. Or they could patch in a vote to start system that the host can veto.

Join in progress would address this, but honestly every time I started it with the minimum player count it filled or nearly filled up during the 25 second countdown timer. Add an option in the quick match menu: "Allow join in progress: Yes/No"

I was playing a lot with Kamikaze because I thought I preferred speed to anything else, but I was consistently placing in the lowest thirds of every match. So I decided to switch things up and try Outlaw, and holy crap. I went from being near last almost every match to getting 2nd-4th every game. Still haven't gotten 1st yet. But Outlaw is definitely my car for the moment.

Also, my favorite thing to do in Diablo Pass is to grab the sniper at one end of the bridge, park and snipe somebody coming across from the other side. I've done it three times so far and it's so satisfying to get those head shots.

Helscream

Banned
Watching update now. Will edit with updates.

Working on Matchmaking. One thing is a text error that when room is full is giving network error.
Working all the time. It's Sony server side. Told lots of games have this issue. He's without a doubt pissed.

He's going to look at rank up system. Might be that level cap is really high. Might have to get to 12 or 13 to get to tier 2. Sony says skins are tomorrow. He doesn't sound like he really believes them. Matchmaking's priority when entering as party is to make teams even. Believes it tries to keep party on one team though or puts them in another room but he's not sure. Really tired and will check into it tomorrow. Says we have the right to tell them they suck. He'll update better tomorrow cause he looks like he's been blown up in a truck and is going to crash. lol

Poor guy.

Well I can tell you this right now. I am Rank 14 and have unlocked All the tier 1 Vehicles and Tier 1 Upgrades. I have 2 extra points for Tier 1 vehicles/upgrades, but since I already have all the stuff I can't use them. I actually saw a person with a Talon vehicle in one of the Deathmatch rooms and it was ranked. Not sure how the guy got it, but he was using talon. I guess I'll be stacking my tier 1 points until this is explained.

Top Bottom