• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Moofers

So I'm at the Iron Maiden fight and I'm pretty sure its glitched out. I've looked up a guide on YouTube after driving around for 15 minutes with no progress and realize that the key to winning the fight just isn't available for me. To make matters worse, if this problem gets resolved, there's another problem that a lot of YouTube commenters mentioned that requires a system reset. :(

Love the game though. Very hard at times, but I dig it regardless. I'm irritated about car unlocks though. I can't imagine playing through the game on Twisted or getting gold medals in everything. I want my cars unlocked from the start, with just a few boss cars hidden for later. That's the Twisted Metal I know!

Had fun playing with the GAF clan last night for a couple of games. Looking forward to more.

J-Rod

I've had nothing but good thoughts and words for this game, but I hope multiplayer unlocks come quick, because right now the game for me is a whopping 3 fucking cars versus people with the same 3-4 cars. I do not have the lifestyle that permits it or the patience to waste my life grinding just to unlock the real game. Old school game with a lot of the new school bs. Online passes, preorder bonuses that affect mp balance, and work before you can play. Sorry for the rant. I can look past the network and other issues, but this shit has me bummed out.

Moofers

I've had nothing but good thoughts and words for this game, but I hope multiplayer unlocks come quick, because right now the game for me is a whopping 3 fucking cars versus people with the same 3-4 cars. I do not have the lifestyle that permits it or the patience to waste my life grinding just to unlock the real game. Old school game with a lot of the new school bs. Online passes, preorder bonuses that affect mp balance, and work before you can play. Sorry for the rant. I can look past the network and other issues, but this shit has me bummed out.

Yes, I completely agree. I played for like 2 or 3 hours online and only earned enough to unlock 1 car yesterday. That fucking sucks. Part of the fun of Twisted Metal is having a wide variety of vehicles! I always liked picking the one that best fit my personality. Now its like I have to dedicate a ton of time to playing it exclusively online if I want to play against my friends in my ride of choice.

At this point I'd just wave the white flag and pay a dollar on PSN to unlock everything.

Its especially disheartening when the game is as good as it is! I love the gameplay, music, sounds, artistic design, etc. and then you've got this Activision shit mucking it all up. Oh well I guess. Maybe they'll throw us a bone if we complain enough.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving running into noobs with Axel's special. Also, watching teammates magnetize an enemy, throwing them off the skyscaper, waiting till he spawns from his fall, repeat. Classic TM, never gets old.

ElRenoRaven

I'm loving running into noobs with Axel's special. Also, watching teammates magnetize an enemy, throwing them off the skyscaper, waiting till he spawns from his fall, repeat. Classic TM, never gets old.

Yea I played around with him last night in the few games we played. He takes some serious skill to use just like Reaper. Both his specials are damn strong though when used right. I'm partial to the crowd controller because it's closer to the way his past ones were. The War Wheel is nasty as hell too if you catch someone with it. His ability to jump high though is a nice as hell. Makes for getting out of areas a lot easier. Overall he's fun as hell to play with even when you suck with him like I do.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Yea I played around with him last night in the few games we played. He takes some serious skill to use just like Reaper. Both his specials are damn strong though when used right. I'm partial to the crowd controller because it's closer to the way his past ones were. The War Wheel is nasty as hell too if you catch someone with it. His ability to jump high though is a nice as hell. Makes for getting out of areas a lot easier. Overall he's fun as hell to play with even when you suck with him like I do.

Yes, his jump will be even better when you learn what ramps you can turbo up and jump to get to Health pickups.

10dollas

Banned

Yeah axel just effortlessly cleans up the public servers. Half the time, players make it easy for me and sign away their fate when they decide to fight axel in a circular close quarters duel. Axel is very strong, but when people start to learn that they just need to run when axel activates his spiked "rampage" mode, I think he'll be less effective.

Yes, I completely agree. I played for like 2 or 3 hours online and only earned enough to unlock 1 car yesterday. That fucking sucks. Part of the fun of Twisted Metal is having a wide variety of vehicles! I always liked picking the one that best fit my personality. Now its like I have to dedicate a ton of time to playing it exclusively online if I want to play against my friends in my ride of choice.

At this point I'd just wave the white flag and pay a dollar on PSN to unlock everything.

Its especially disheartening when the game is as good as it is! I love the gameplay, music, sounds, artistic design, etc. and then you've got this Activision shit mucking it all up. Oh well I guess. Maybe they'll throw us a bone if we complain enough.
Just play unranked. Do you really need stats? It certainly isn't worth the massive amount of grinding just to use your favorite vehicle.

I agree it's a weird design choice they made in vehicle unlocks.

BHK3

Banned
Heads up guys, according to some guy on GameFAQs restarting from the pause menu invalidates the TMA trophy. Fucking bullshit if you ask me, the trophy description only mentions dying and using the garage. If you die, dashboard without pressing anything. Do not restart (or quit, to be safe) at all.

Oh this better be bullshit, they better not honor their most hardcore community with a trophy that you have to rely on luck to get.

ElRenoRaven

Gamespot review is up.

-Odd narrative disconnect between vehicles and drivers.
-Online connectivity issues and other quirks.

I mean an 8.0

Interesting. So it certainly seems that most agree that it should have been 1 driver per vehicle. I'm glad to see that. Tells me that I wasn't alone in loving the stories of all of the drivers.

Endo Punk

Interesting. So it certainly seems that most agree that it should have been 1 driver per vehicle. I'm glad to see that. Tells me that I wasn't alone in loving the stories of all of the drivers.
TMB was neutered so I got no stories but having seen them on youtube I can say they were definitely awesome. Never played TM2 and still waiting for the UK PSN release.

The disconnect between driver and vehicle seems like a valid complaint but doesn't bother me too much, though I wish Jaffe would have atleast made rest of the characters available for the MP. It would have been nice to select character skins in addition to the various side arms.

BPK

This online errors are getting insanely frustrating. It takes me 20 minutes to just find a game...and that doesn't guarantee that the clueless host will launch it. The game itself is great fun but this sucks.

The skyscraper level was also a disappointment. You're already fighting ten stories above ground, adding a rotating plaque that makes things even more difficult seems de trop.

pahamrick

I take it there's no way to get bots in unranked online matches? My brother and I spent hours tag teaming bots for some quick matches, but split-screening is sort of impossible at the moment with him deployed for the military.

ElRenoRaven

TMB was neutered so I got no stories but having seen them on youtube I can say they were definitely awesome. Never played TM2 and still waiting for the UK PSN release.

The disconnect between driver and vehicle seems like a valid complaint but doesn't bother me too much, though I wish Jaffe would have atleast made rest of the characters available for the MP. It would have been nice to select character skins in addition to the various side arms.

Well as mentioned though they couldn't due to memory issues. Since the game had started as a multiplayer only PSN title it was designed around the gang theme. So to redo it you would have had to create gangs for every driver or drop that part and remove the passengers. That's something they felt strongly about keeping and I respect that of course. It was mentioned the other day though that should they be lucky enough to be able to make a sequel they would certainly find a way to address that and make the fans happy. So I am hopeful that we'll see a return to that setup if we're lucky enough to get a sequel.

Denzar

Ready to import to Europe.

Can anybody confirm or deny that once the US online pass has been activated I can play online with my Euro account?

ElRenoRaven

Ready to import to Europe.

Can anybody confirm or deny that once the US online pass has been activated I can play online with my Euro account?

Yup. You have to redeem it on a US account but then any ID on the console can play online. Several Euro fans imported it and said that's how it worked.

BHK3

Banned
Well I died doing my TMA run so I decided to try online and can't join a single game. The filters also do nothing, at all, no matter what I change them to the list of games is the same every time.

Struct09

Well I died doing my TMA run so I decided to try online and can't join a single game. The filters also do nothing, at all, no matter what I change them to the list of games is the same every time.

Filters have been working for me. Make sure you click "Accept Filter", and then hit refresh when looking at the game list.

Tokubetsu

I really don't have a problem not having character per car. I like Dollface's design in this game and I'd only ever beat TM games with 2-3 characters tops anyway. Having option would options would have been nice but it's a non issue for me. I'm only missing Raven and Twister.

Moofers

I had no idea that unranked games allow you to pick any car you want. To be honest, its not super clear in the menus whether you are joining a ranked game or not. Its been pure dumb luck that I've only joined ranked games so far.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The cars are the real characters of TM. Well, those and the look of Sweet Tooth. Everything else is changed at a whim across sequels.

10dollas

Banned
Given the limited resources they had, their choice of characters with respect to cars was sensible. If they were to increase the scope of this project, I would much rather they had, spent the additional resources on fleshing out the online menu navigation, and adding more umph to some of the weaker cars. A lot of the agility focused cars, with the exception of talon, axel, and reaper, lack enough umph to compete scoreboard wise, with the more powerful cars, it seems...

I am on the 2nd or 3rd level of Grimm's SP and I have one Gold and that was pure luck I guess. Idk how anyone gets gold on these things on Twisted. Any time I am about to kill an AI, all those other AI guys who had been ignoring me suddenly come swarming at me, distracting me just long enough for that almost dead car to go hit the health trailer. And any time I do seem to get off to a great start, head shot sniper attack out of nowhere. What vehicles are you guys using? I love Reaper but on Twisted I get demolished almost instantly. Sweet Tooth is ok.. haven't really used his Bot special at all.

AwShucks

There are a lot of UI issues as far as simplicity and understanding go in my opinion. The filters aren't very obvious which setting does what then there is no confirmation or anything to accept your filters. You have to actually go to the menu option and do so at the top, if you don't they get reset. Then, I believe in the games list you have to view suggested games and not all games.

How do you perform Alt Specials anyway? I'm several hours in and still don't have it figured out!

Press triangle when the special is your chosen weapon and then use it. There is a triangle on the icon. And it does go over it in the tutorial

Helscream

Banned

Well I can tell you that yesterday I went from Rank 12-18. And that was from non-stop playing. Having all these matchmaking errors REALLY slow down the speed at which you level. And if you are still trying to get the hang of the the game it will go even slower. I was constantly either 1st or 2nd place in pretty much every game I played and with match making errors on top of that I only gained 6 Ranks yesterday.

If we could actually get together in groups of 8 and join Public lobby's we could make that leveling process easier and less frustrating for all of us. But with the inability to actually team up we are pretty much on our own. The only thing we have been successfully able to pull off is creating our own room and squaring off against each other.

With Spontaneous disconnection from the server/Network on top of match making errors combine with lockups/freeze's and random crashes. We all we have a hard time unlocking anything because you will spend 50% of your time trying to enter a lobby/server.

How's the single player? I know Jaffe downplayed it but there's still a story mode right? Can you set up custom events vs bots? Are there many settings/options for that?

Kingpen

How's the single player? I know Jaffe downplayed it but there's still a story mode right? Can you set up custom events vs bots? Are there many settings/options for that?

I need to know the answers to this as well... I'm not too much of an online multiplayer gamer, so I need to know what the options are for single player.

Himself

I'm about 60% through the single player and it has its ups and downs. For one, it introduces many different game types from deathmatches, to races, to endurance matches and, my favorite, a sort of zone battle where the safe zone keeps shifting. Some work, some don't. People seem to be really divided on the racing events. There are three characters' stories to play through with these campy live-action cut scenes that are fairly entertaining. Its very b-grade, but enjoyable. I've had some great moments in single-player, and the stories are silly enough to keep playing, but it really pales in comparison to what goes down in the multiplayer. This is coming from someone who doesn't really get into any MP at all: it's unbelievably fun and the best reason to own the game.

TL;DR
I'd score it like this so far (where 5 actually means average): Single-player: 6/10, Multiplayer: a solid 9/10*

You can set up custom events with bots. The manual says you can set up deathmatch, one on one, and endurance modes with bots. You can choose the map, # of bots, difficulty, health, traffic, pedestrians, etc. Seems pretty fleshed out, but I haven't messed with it in game yet.

*when the connection errors aren't happening which we're all hoping will be fixed soon.

gibration

I thought the single-player was okay. Short and simple but the cut-scenes were great. You can set up a match against bots and there are tons of settings/options you can mess with.

Himself

I need to know the answers to this as well... I'm not too much of an online multiplayer gamer, so I need to know what the options are for single player.

We're eye to eye on not being multiplayer gamers. The most I usually get out of an online mode is about an hour or two before quickly tiring of it. It really is different with Twisted Metal and I urge you to at least give it a go. Humans are much more fun to play against than the AI, you have plenty of health so you won't be getting instakilled constantly, and there are some cool modes. If you're getting the game for the SP, you're missing out on what is probably the better half of the game. It seems much less "serious" than any online MP I've played, most people are just having a blast and going batshit.

ScOULaris

I'm really enjoying the core gameplay here, but it takes forever to get into a match online and the ranking system to unlock cars sucks balls. Why, Jaffe, WHY?!

Struct09

I don't normally play many online multiplayer games either, but am really loving Twisted Metal online. I don't even care if I win, it's just so chaotic and fun.

ElRenoRaven

Right now I'm not done but I'm about 70 some odd percent. I have to say right now I'm leaning to a solid 8/10.

The single player is varied. It does have AI that loves to dogpile you which can frustrate you. There is at least one event that will piss you off due to it just being unfair. But overall if you loved past TM games you'll love this one.

Massa

The single player is varied. It does have AI that loves to dogpile you which can frustrate you. There is at least one event that will piss you off due to it just being unfair..

That was a problem in the demo that Jaffe said was fixed in the final game. Guess he was wrong.

ElRenoRaven

That was a problem in the demo that Jaffe said was fixed in the final game. Guess he was wrong.

He didn't say the AI was different just that the difficulty was lower which it is on normal. It still dogpiles you however. Demo's AI was hard difficulty.

I'm about 60% through the single player and it has its ups and downs. For one, it introduces many different game types from deathmatches, to races, to endurance matches and, my favorite, a sort of zone battle where the safe zone keeps shifting. Some work, some don't. People seem to be really divided on the racing events. There are three characters' stories to play through with these campy live-action cut scenes that are fairly entertaining. Its very b-grade, but enjoyable. I've had some great moments in single-player, and the stories are silly enough to keep playing, but it really pales in comparison to what goes down in the multiplayer. This is coming from someone who doesn't really get into any MP at all: it's unbelievably fun and the best reason to own the game.

TL;DR
I'd score it like this so far (where 5 actually means average): Single-player: 6/10, Multiplayer: a solid 9/10*

You can set up custom events with bots. The manual says you can set up deathmatch, one on one, and endurance modes with bots. You can choose the map, # of bots, difficulty, health, traffic, pedestrians, etc. Seems pretty fleshed out, but I haven't messed with it in game yet.

*when the connection errors aren't happening which we're all hoping will be fixed soon.

I thought the single-player was okay. Short and simple but the cut-scenes were great. You can set up a match against bots and there are tons of settings/options you can mess with.

Right now I'm not done but I'm about 70 some odd percent. I have to say right now I'm leaning to a solid 8/10.

The single player is varied. It does have AI that loves to dogpile you which can frustrate you. There is at least one event that will piss you off due to it just being unfair. But overall if you loved past TM games you'll love this one.
Cool thanks guys.

It it even POSSIBLE to play 2 matches in a row with the same host? On the rare chance that I actually do get into a game, and the host decides to start, and I get to play one complete match, I am booted almost IMMEDIATELY when the next one starts, and the game blames MY connection. wut.

RagnarokX

It it even POSSIBLE to play 2 matches in a row with the same host? On the rare chance that I actually do get into a game, and the host decides to start, and I get to play one complete match, I am booted almost IMMEDIATELY when the next one starts, and the game blames MY connection. wut.

I've gotten multiple matches in a row before. It's definitely the exception and not the rule, though.

ElRenoRaven

So I decided for the fun of it to unlock everything in the Digital TMB. Interestingly it doesn't use the PS2 memory card stuff. It has it's own spot in the PS2 data section. It emulates the PS2 memory slots into that section. Thought it was pretty damn interesting to say the least.

Moofers

Just had a blast playing 3P deathmatch with two of my buddies online. We were hooting and howling at the mayhem. I was on a 5-kill streak with Juggernaut! :)

Anyone noticed the awesome little details on all the maps? Today we discovered the awesome awesome Haunted Castle in the Thrillride/AmusementPark map. The crazy clown room, frankenstein room, etc. Very cool. Little details like that go a long way to making games like this memorable.

Back to the action later tonight. Hope to see you there!

Top Bottom