• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I dunno, telling someone who essentially just gave you $60 of their money, and then you tell them to 'shove it up their ass'...kinda seems wrong to me.

Look at the entire exchange. If it were JUST this what you see, then I would agree. But I was super nice and understanding for a while, agreeing with him that he had every right to be pissed, every right for a refund, and agree that the way this is being handled is 100% unacceptable .

Then he goes into me personally- even tho it's NOT my company's situation to fix...trust me, if WE could fix it, we would...but it's a Sony issue, not an ESP issue- and being a disrespectful guy and I'm sorry, there's a point where I'm like: enough.

David

Bukana

You're wrong, he was justified, even someone with a bias against Dj (affectionately) would see the dude was talking out the side of his mouth, we get it, he's upset, but standing up during a senate meeting and yelling "YOU LIE" when the pres is talking isn't cool at all.

I understand his frustration and his struggle with the issues, but he should know better, he is representing EatSleepPlay, who worked hard on this game, he shouldn't be defensive nor offensive at all, if anything he should keep apologizing and updating us with the process of fixing these issues.

Bukana

Look at the entire exchange. If it were JUST this what you see, then I would agree. But I was super nice and understanding for a while, agreeing with him that he had every right to be pissed, every right for a refund, and agree that the way this is being handled is 100% unacceptable .

Then he goes into me personally- even tho it's NOT my company's situation to fix...trust me, if WE could fix it, we would...but it's a Sony issue, not an ESP issue- and being a disrespectful guy and I'm sorry, there's a point where I'm like: enough.

David

You are right and wrong, because the way 'we' see it, you are representing the game, the company, ESP,etc. so, some of us know that you are fursturated and dealing with a lot of stuff, but keep in mind that whatever you type or do will be held against ESP,Twisted Metal ,why!? Because you are the face of the whole thing.

bonesquad

Finally! That 3rd race is a bitch. Though the time I won it wasn't close, there wasn't anyone near the 'finish'. I still don't know how anyone can beat this on Twisted with all golds when I struggle on Normal (well, when I get my ass kicked online I get some idea...). I tried the last boss, but couldn't figure out what to do for the second part.

Played a few games online tonight, but was only able to get into one game with another GAFer, and then got disconnected 2 minutes into it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finally! That 3rd race is a bitch. Though the time I won it wasn't close, there wasn't anyone near the 'finish'. I still don't know how anyone can beat this on Twisted with all golds when I struggle on Normal (well, when I get my ass kicked online I get some idea...). I tried the last boss, but couldn't figure out what to do for the second part.

Played a few games online tonight, but was only able to get into one game with another GAFer, and then got disconnected 2 minutes into it.

The last race doesn't actually need a super fast car, but by the time I realized that I basically had the track ingrained in my mind.

For the second part
you need to ram the bullseye to get a clown holding a bomb to shoot out. Have him jump on your car then ramp into the clown face.

trust me, i've dealt with much worse in just about every retail job i've been at (which are many). i get where jaffe is coming from but i just don't agree with saying that to a customer, no matter how annoying or unreasonable they are being but that's just me

Retail is a different best. You can dictate a sale or not from what you do. DJ spent his money already and expect everything to work fully in an online game. DJ wants it now. DJ will think he's right if he's blocked. DJ is full of shit. It's only the third day. Jaffe was trying to be sympathetic and even acknowledge the issue. DJ did not care about his affection.

Trust me.

David

Yeah, but so goes the internet. Snippets of snide remarks get posted, not the entire story. As just happened.

Regardless, Sony can't even update their store on time on Tuesdays, so I don't doubt that the problem is on their end.

1p mode is keeping me entertained for the time being, though. You guys got that old school Twisted flavor down pat.

BHK3

Banned

David
"He came at me man he was in my face" Lol just poking fun bro.

How do I use Warthogs turret man? Idk how.

The error message problem can't be the whole issue unless the server browser is completely wrong concerning how many people are in rooms. I can try rooms that say 11/14, or 4/14 and get the same errors 10+ times in a row. I've never been able to join via quick matches either. Maybe 1 in every 20 attempts, whether quick or room browser, lets me actually join a game, and if I stick around for a 2nd match with the same host, I get disconnected almost right away.

:lol :lol :lol "It's fecal paste."

The video really shows how badly TM needed a beta period. Finding all these problems after the game launches is not ideal.

Now I gotta stay up to watch the skin editor video.

Just golded Sweet Tooth's campaign on Twisted. A few notes:

1. Use 3 Juggernauts for the regular and cage DMs. Make liberal use of freeze (Juggs can freeze 3 or 4 times with one bar) and turbo ram. Also, be sure to keep Juggs' mines in play. Stay near a garage if possible.

2. Use Talon, Juggs, Juggs for the Juggs DM. Go straight for mega guns and a few more missiles as Talon, then load them into Juggs side (he'll turret the fuck out of you from the front). Use shield to prevent from dying. Then switch to Juggs yourself and dominate.

3. Got 22nd in the world on the Diablo Pass race as Crimson Fury. Get in front and rear freeze Kamikaze to get a huge lead. Don't always turbo when you're ahead; focus on steering.

4. Golded
Brothers Grimm
on my first try. Not much to say but keep looking for weapons (especially power missiles and mega guns which are near each other) and stay on them.

I'm glad these daily updates are coming up. This clearly shows that he cares about his game and he cares about us getting into matches.

Don't let the haters get to you. I honestly appreciate the updates on multiplayer and what's expected in the future as far as balance updates.

With that said. just finished the story on Normal (yeah whatever) I loved it. The game types and the boss fights. This is awesome. Just amazing.

ElRenoRaven

Finally done on Normal. Now I can post my full thoughts. I am not a reviewer so this won't be great.

First off let me say the campaign over all is a good 8 I think. I love the storyline itself. I actually wish there was more. As is though I firmly keep my stance of one driver per car. If this would have required non live action then so be it.

Going to do pros, cons, and bugs for the rest cause it's easier for me.

Pros:

Controls are solid and it controls great minus that turbo ram.

Graphics are great. So much going on. Framerate is solid.

Story was damn good. It's your typical Twisted Metal and I love it.

Level design is top notch. Not a bad level in the game I feel.

Cons:

First and foremost is of course the online servers are broken. Still almost impossible to join games.

The AI sucks. That simple. Can't be sugar coated. The AI does nothing but dogpile you. It's worse in one level because it makes it a point to. Not fun at all in that regard. It makes some levels more frustrating then they should be. I liked it better in past games where they'd fight each other even if it didn't do a lot if any damage. This would keep some of the AI's busy making it manageable.

Speaking of levels Hate the Duel Juggarnauts level in the Dollface Campaign. That level is total bullshit. Either add some more health or reduce health respawn time on that level. Again this level is made harder due to the crappy AI. Noticing the trend?

Final boss thoughts coming up here. Going to spoiler it all.
Now the final boss while overall good has a few points that really bring the experience down. First off each section needs to be explained a bit better. The hints aren't obvious enough. Namely the second phase. Figuring out what to do was a pain. I ended up having to find an explanation online. The third phase was annoying namely due to the randomness of the bombs. Sometimes no matter what you couldn't avoid them. Also the swinging mace section is annoyingly hard. There's very little room between them. This means sometimes you think you're clear and can wait for next one to come through and bam the one behind you barely clips you or the one in front of you does cause you're just a hair too far up.

Menus need to be more clear at times. This is mainly related to the online filter options. Also it needs to explain how you unlock the other tiers. I know most people are still confused on that.

Glitches:

I did experience the audio glitch towards the last half of Dollfaces campaign. You would be playing along and all sound cuts out for a few seconds then comes back. It's like pulling a speaker plug suddenly. That needs to be fixed without a doubt.

Once in campaign I experienced the npc character is your turret glitch. This was during the Grimm campaign boss fight.

I have also noticed like others that sometimes when you pick something up it won't be added. Also sometimes it will say your special is ready when it isn't.

Now to sum it up. The game is great. The biggest downfall of it is the AI. The AI gets so frustrating and leads to a feeling of being a pinball sometimes because of how it just dogpiles on you. You will get rammed by one, while getting knocked up by another, then slung around by yet another character. You end up almost dead sometimes cause you've been too busy being slung around by the mob on you. This is extremely annoying on race levels. More so on the
checkpoint race near the end of Dollface's campaign. Right off the bat you have all the cars trying to come out the same point and they all want to fuck you up. That made that level frustrating as hell.

All that said I still love the game. It really feels like the gameplay is perfected except that AI of course. I'd say it's a good 8/10 game. The AI however gets an F-.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Fuck yeah, just unlocked Warthog! I have to say I'm especially pleased with my Iron Maiden score... beat the next best player by approximately 2 minutes =) Twisted difficulty of course.

0ofCO.jpg

ElRenoRaven

David

Exactly. David went out of his way to be nice. The guy is just an asshole and I have no problem with him finally having enough and telling the guy off.

Watching now. Again I feel for David and the ESP guys.

RagnarokX

So far I've gold medaled every mission up to the boss in Sweet Tooth's campaign at twisted difficulty :D

Jaffe, don't let that stuff get to you. He shouldn't have insulted you, but no reason to sink to his level. You will be taken out of context and that sucks.

Also, most of our errors are not room full errors. We have errors trying to get into rooms that are nowhere near full, and most of the time when we play 1 match, go back to the room, and start another match we will network error during the second match. We can't play 2 consecutive games most of the time. The game is still great when we can play it though. Seriously, awesome game :D

Oh yeah, and get Sony to make your name not censored in the PSN text chats :p

Speaking of levels Hate the Duel Juggarnauts level in the Dollface Campaign. That level is total bullshit. Either add some more health or reduce health respawn time on that level. Again this level is made harder due to the crappy AI. Noticing the trend?

Speaking the Dualies, how did every1 win that? I used Talon and camped the top health.

I agree the AI ganging up on you is harsh, there are things that they should have kept traditional: 1 character per car, the AI

Speaking the Dualies, how did every1 win that? I used Talon and camped the top health.

There's a ledge on the mountain by the top health that the enemy cars can't seem to navigate to, and can't reach with most homing weapons (Roadkill can still be annoying from afar). I just camped it with Meat Wagon and fired Remote Gurneys off the ledge and into Juggernaut grills. lol

ElRenoRaven

I agree the AI ganging up on you is harsh, there are things that they should have kept traditional: 1 character per car, the AI

I tried everything I then went with JYD, would destroy everyone I could and gather weapons. Keeping it about 3 to 4 made unloading on the juggernaut easier too. Finally I then beat it with him.

There's a ledge on the mountain by the top health that the enemy cars can't seem to navigate to, and can't reach with most homing weapons (Roadkill can still be annoying from afar). I just camped it with Meat Wagon and fired Remote Gurneys off the ledge and into Juggernaut grills. lol

Oh they can. Believe me they can.

Booshka

So it sounds like there needs to be a separate Ranked list for Parties. If a party wants to stay together and have the match ranked, they should be put in a lobby where they search for another party that want to play together. I don't think you should allow parties to go in against a group of random players in Ranked matches, this will be unfair and could really kill Ranked matches. But, if you could have a type of Mercenary ranked, and then Team/Party ranked, I think that could work. If a party wants to go in Regular Ranked game and get split up based on skill, that could be fine too.

Hopefully enough people play this game to facilitate a Party Ranked mode, if it's even possible. Because I know how frustrating it can be to go into a Ranked game and get stomped over and over by a party while you play with strangers.

If it's not possible, then I would take the stance of not allowing parties to play against a group of randoms, they would have to just join unranked matches if they all want to play together.

Grayman

David
I have just looked at the picture capture of the exchange but whether someone escalated it or not you are the face of ESP and unless this sony issue is effecting all games on PSN it is something that has some responsibility with ESP, even if your publishing deal insisted it.

Whether the issue is something delegated to Sony or not it is your companies product that is not fully functioning.

On the lighter side I unwrapped my copy today and have enjoyed it so far. I have been playing Sweet Tooth and Mr Grimm offline so far. Historically I usually played Spectare and Thumper.

RagnarokX

Use Talons for Juggernaut missions. You can take out a Juggernaut with 2 tri-gunners. Cleaning up the rest is also easy with Talon.

I got gold on Dual Juggernauts on normal using Talon, and I just did the first Juggernaut mission with Talon and golded that, too. Hell, I even got the birth control trophy on it. That trophy is gonna be controversial :p

ElRenoRaven

Use Talons for Juggernaut missions. You can take out a Juggernaut with 2 tri-gunners. Cleaning up the rest is also easy with Talon.

I tried but I got eaten alive. Honestly I just hate Talon. I really do. I just am no good with him. JYD actually made it pretty easy. Got it 3rd try with him after I started building up specials and weapons before nailing said juggernaut.

Warthog is basically hammerhead with an awesome shockwave attack. I like him but if you feel its worth it, go get him, I personally like him but not worth the huge amount of trouble I went through.
Warthog takes way too long to do a 180, makes him horrible for head to head fights. But the secondary special goes through walls and hits the floor of everything in front of you, even if it's a floor above or below you. The combination of those two things means to survive you basically have to stay on the higher ground (which is hard in a big vehicle) and blast them away from up top.

A cool strategy is to have a Talon pick you up, you can perform your shock wave special in while being lifted and its gets everyone on the ground.

RagnarokX

I tried but I got eaten alive. Honestly I just hate Talon. I really do. I just am no good with him. JYD actually made it pretty easy. Got it 3rd try with him after I started building up specials and weapons before nailing said juggernaut.

Stay up high and block freeze missiles with shield.

Do u guys still have a room up?

Btw, I used Talon on the skyscraper level. Piece of cake. Got to really enjoy the beauty of the level too. I wonder how that will work online o_O

ElRenoRaven

Stay up high and block freeze missiles with shield.

See ironically I tried that. There were so many freeze missles hitting me that I would run out of energy to shield. Maybe it was just really shitty luck. I might go back sometime and try it again with a talon.

See ironically I tried that. There were so many freeze missles hitting me that I would run out of energy to shield. Maybe it was just really shitty luck. I might go back sometime and try it again with a talon.

It took me like 5 or 6 tries to beat the first Juggs DM so it was probably luck. My strategy was the same every time - get mega guns and a few more missiles, fly high, unload, shield when necessary. Sometimes I just got ate.

ElRenoRaven

It took me like 5 or 6 tries to beat the first Juggs DM so it was probably luck. My strategy was the same every time - get mega guns and a few more missiles, fly high, unload, shield when necessary. Sometimes I just got ate.

All the others were easy till that one. Got the trophy for not letting it spawn an enemy on the first one using outlaw. lol

RagnarokX

You mean on Twisted? I took that one in my first try :D. I killed the Juggernaut with my special before he could spawn a new opponent, then I got some mega guns and went around killing everyone else with my specials and mega guns. Death Warrant managed to get away from me after I had hit him with my special and caught the health semi, so I had to take him out twice.

I can't wait to unlock Talon in ranked mp.

Juggernaut really is a beast at getting gold medals on Twisted, but I was having such a hard time with the Metro Square electric cage match. Warthog kept running away and he was hard to kill, causing me to miss the gold time. Finally he decided to stand right in front of me doing a wheelie and I turbo dashed him into a gold medal.

You mean on Twisted? I took that one in my first try :D. I killed the Juggernaut with my special before he could spawn a new opponent, then I got some mega guns and went around killing everyone else with my specials and mega guns. Death Warrant managed to get away from me after I had hit him with my special and caught the health semi, so I had to take him out twice.

Yeah, Twisted. idk, they were blasting the shit out of me. The time I beat it, the AIs were spaced out and not unloading on me.

edit - didn't even have a problem with freeze missiles. In all of my attempts, they only attempted to freeze me once.

BHK3

Banned
Warthog takes way too long to do a 180, makes him horrible for head to head fights. But the secondary special goes through walls and hits the floor of everything in front of you, even if it's a floor above or below you. The combination of those two things means to survive you basically have to stay on the higher ground (which is hard in a big vehicle) and blast them away from up top.

A cool strategy is to have a Talon pick you up, you can perform your shock wave special in while being lifted and its gets everyone on the ground.

I hate Talon because everyone is retarded to try and kill him. They attack me just because I'm Warthog with half health instead of the No. 1 guy Talon with full health.

I'm starting to hate Warthog because people begin to hunt me down and I get ganged up on so fucking much god damn I've hated every team I've been on all night.

RagnarokX

Yeah, Twisted. idk, they were blasting the shit out of me. The time I beat it, the AIs were spaced out and not unloading on me.

edit - didn't even have a problem with freeze missiles. In all of my attempts, they only attempted to freeze me once.

Hmm, the AIs were pretty spaced out when I beat it too. The AI doesn't usually try to freeze Talon enough that you can't block them all. Even if you do get frozen it usually just means you lost a special since the AI is too stupid to turbo dash you.

I hate Talon because everyone is retarded to try and kill him. They attack me just because I'm Warthog with half health instead of the No. 1 guy Talon with full health.

I'm starting to hate Warthog because people begin to hunt me down and I get ganged up on so fucking much god damn I've hated every team I've been on all night.

Well serves you right for being better than everybody

On another note, can anyone explain to me the entire ending of the game? I am somewhat confused

GeorgeThePlushie how was it making Prodigy rage at you last night? I was watching Prodigys stream :)
Too sweet. I ended up running with other cars because he was getting so mad. I don't think he's approaching the game correctly and definitely not Crimson Fury. Crimson has the best pickup game period, and he never goes out of his way to pick up any weapons. He'll chase for like 30 seconds, only spraying the Uzi since he doesn't have any weapons.

I will kind of agree with him that Crimson is probably a little underpowered. For a fast, light car it's energy recovery is low, special regeneration is low, and it takes so long for it to break out of a freeze.

On the other hand, Crimson and Reaper are the top Faction Leader carriers hands down. Crimson sacrifices so fast that it would take a huge dogpile to take him out since it can stay shielded about 2/3's of the time for the mobile launcher. Reaper can shield 4 times in one energy bar. It's so good.

Edit: Skin Editor Preview www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWx4tTmI_4k

I'm noticing that too. People see you and they're all "What the f*** is that? I'm gonna kill it!!!" And as I already mentioned Warthog is terrible head-to-head. Got to stay elevated, best example is on Metro Square stay on top of the train tracks and hop between the second floors of the book store and toy store and such, your secondary special will hurt everyone on the ground and you should be able to fire stalkers and homing/fire missiles at them as well. Diesel City is another good one. But once you get on ground level and someone starts chasing you you're as good as dead.

Or if you have a nice teammate who will lift you up in Talon that's an easier way to stay elevated.

Maybe I just need more time with Warthog, but I'm really not liking him at least from a deathmatch perspective, not my playstyle to focus on non-direct encounters. Though I imagine it'd be a really good vehicle to defend a faction leader with in Nuke.

I will kind of agree with him that Crimson is probably a little underpowered. For a fast, light car it's energy recovery is low, special regeneration is low, and it takes so long for it to break out of a freeze.

On the other hand, Crimson and Reaper are the top Faction Leader carriers hands down. Crimson sacrifices so fast that it would take a huge dogpile to take him out since it can stay shielded about 2/3's of the time for the mobile launcher. Reaper can shield 4 times in one energy bar. It's so good.

Yeah, Crimson Fury might be a bit weak in kill-based modes but he's nuts in Nuke. Buffing him might put him over the edge in that mode.

BHK3

Banned
I'm noticing that too. People see you and they're all "What the f*** is that? I'm gonna kill it!!!" And as I already mentioned Warthog is terrible head-to-head. Got to stay elevated, best example is on Metro Square stay on top of the train tracks and hop between the second floors of the book store and toy store and such, your secondary special will hurt everyone on the ground and you should be able to fire stalkers and homing/fire missiles at them as well. Diesel City is another good one. But once you get on ground level and someone starts chasing you you're as good as dead.

Or if you have a nice teammate who will lift you up in Talon that's an easier way to stay elevated.

Maybe I just need more time with Warthog, but I'm really not liking him at least from a deathmatch perspective, not my playstyle to focus on non-direct encounters. Though I imagine it'd be a really good vehicle to defend a faction leader with in Nuke.

Outlaws are the bane of my existance. Strongest, easiest special to use and I swear they never run out.

Just played a 2v2 Last Man Standing against Jaffe. No one else could join the game. He started up another one and it looks like only 6 can get in this time, but I didn't get in that one. Absolutely destroyed them. :)

Top Bottom