• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Will be getting into this tonight.

How hard were the control to adapt to?

ScOULaris

What does everyone else think of Juggernaut in multiplayer? I went up against one in a Team Deathmatch game the other night, and he basically ran train on our entire team with his humongous life-bar and ridiculous ram damage. The whole match devolved into our entire team trying to take down their one Juggernaut whilst being picked off by their other players.

Moofers

Juggernaut is a hoot in multiplayer. I had a 5 kill streak against 2 of my friends until one realized that Talon was his kryptonite.

Had fun in the GAF room last night while it lasted. Got damn, "Revolutionary" is a beast. Dude was at the top of the board with something like 14 kills? Settle down, dude! ;)

Helscream

Banned
Look at the entire exchange. If it were JUST this what you see, then I would agree. But I was super nice and understanding for a while, agreeing with him that he had every right to be pissed, every right for a refund, and agree that the way this is being handled is 100% unacceptable .

Then he goes into me personally- even tho it's NOT my company's situation to fix...trust me, if WE could fix it, we would...but it's a Sony issue, not an ESP issue- and being a disrespectful guy and I'm sorry, there's a point where I'm like: enough.

David

Not to poke at a dead horse, but it's been several hours since last I checked the forums.

Basically if someone is unsatisfied with what that bought, your better off returning it and getting your money back (if possible).

But when someone starts saying shit "oh that's a cop out your full of shit etc etc" the guy is wasting his time honestly. Even if the complaint is legitimate obnoxious bitching doesn't fix that issue. Just make a thorough report of what problems you are experiencing.

Anyhow thought I would give a list of what I am experiencing personally.

The Network Error "mostly" occurs when trying to join a lobby/server that is NOT in session yet and the game has not started. Occasionally the Network Error will occur when trying to join a game that is already in progress (but not nearly as often for attempting to join a room that has not yet started).

Sometimes when browsing the servers/lobby's you will get kick from the Twisted Metal Network and have to log in again. Not sure what causes this, but I have experienced it happen while browsing the lobby's/servers.

Attempting to play a second ( or more) match on the same server/lobby's will result in being removed from that lobby/server on the second consecutive match on that server. I can only speak for myself, but it seems if you attempt to play more than just 1 match on the same server you end up getting disconnected. The only effective way I have found to work around this is to play one game on a server then leave and join a different one.

At rare but completely random intervals the game will crash and the PS3 will shut itself off. Only have experienced in it a lobby or during mid-game. Mainly I found it happen the most frequent while waiting for a game to start inside a lobby/server.

At rare and completely random intervals the game will freeze/lock up while playing online in-game. All of the issues, this seems to occur the least.

I will say that I do use a old 60GB Fat PS3. But I can guarantee that I take very good care of it. I keep it ventilated and dust free. So for people who are noticing their PS3 running hotter than usual I can confirm it is related to the game. It does not run too hot for my PS3, but I can confirm that it runs warmer than usual when playing Twisted Metal.

On a more positive note when the Game is working the online play is silky smooth. Probably the best PEER-2-PEER I have encountered outside of Dedicated Servers.

Like I said I am by no means trying to rehash stuff you already know about. I just thought you would appreciate a more thorough report. Most like to bitch/complain instead of trying to help diagnose the issue.

EDIT:
Juggernaut is a hoot in multiplayer. I had a 5 kill streak against 2 of my friends until one realized that Talon was his kryptonite.

Had fun in the GAF room last night while it lasted. Got damn, "Revolutionary" is a beast. Dude was at the top of the board with something like 14 kills? Settle down, dude! ;)

Well I am assuming you are playing unranked. But Vehicles like Juggernaut/Junkyard Dog/Talon are limited to a certain numbers of spawns in ranked games. I have actually used Junkyard Dog in Team Hunted to heal teammates and when I got killed I could not use Junkyard Dog again. That is why I mentioned wanting to Unlock Juggernaut as fast as I could so we use him for team matches. Juggernaut is a very powerful vehicle, and with two players manning each Turret it is a force to be reckon with. But once dead you cannot use Juggernaut again for the remainder of that match.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Haven't given this game the full attention it deserves thanks to Vita, but damn, what I've played is absolutely awesome.

The controls are tight, nuanced, and rewarding. It's nice to have a multiplayer game that rewards more than how quickly one can aim their weapon. When you first start playing it's almost overwhelming due to the complex controls and speed of the action but once you really start to remember how to play it becomes exhilarating. I'm curious to know how people weaned on Call of Duty will take to this kind of game, however, as understanding how to control the game is not exactly dead simple.

I hope the game is successful for ESP as it's clear that a lot of work has gone into it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I suspect that the urgency to fix this game on Sony's end may be diminishing, especially with copies sold and David Jaffe telling annoying customers to shove their copies up their asses. While I am definitely impressed with what I have seen thus far, I get the sense that we will be waiting longer than a week from launch to get these issues rectified (or should I say "rectumfied").

Moofers

Problems beating the Dual Juggernauts in Dollface's Chapter? Here's my strategy for a cheap but assured victory:

Choose "Vermin" for the battle. Head up to the cliffs outside the ghost town. Find a spot that spawns napalm (I think its napalm it looks like a yellow dynamite bundle) and park just behind it.

Use the Alt Special "Rodent Rocket" and pilot that thing straight into a JNaut's grill. 2 or 3 of these (depending on where you hit) and it'll be toast. Repeat for the 2nd JNaut.

Now you've probably got 9 cars left to kill, so take em out and enjoy having the Jnauts out of your hair.

Moofers

I suspect that the urgency to fix this game on Sony's end may be diminishing, especially with copies sold and David Jaffe telling annoying customers to shove their copies up their asses. While I am definitely impressed with what I have seen thus far, I get the sense that we will be waiting longer than a week from launch to get these issues rectified (or should I say "rectumfied").

What have you heard about sales?

DenogginizerOS

What have you heard about sales?

Nothing specific, but Jaffe was promoting on his Twitter feed that the game was selling out everywhere. It certainly hasn't been a bomb launch just based on the number of people trying to play online and the anecdotal evidence of shelves being devoid of the game.

DenogginizerOS

Whenever online multiplayer games launch with network issues, I wonder who gets blamed more: developers or the propietors of the network. If this were a PC game, the blame would be falling more on the developer. However, with PSN (aka SEN) and Xbox Live, the fact there are relatively nameless elves manning the machinery makes it hard to question who is to blame (and who is easy to blame).

Apoc87

Banned
Beat sweet tooths stupid ass cage match. But the
movie after that
was well worth the effort.

This game is officialy dope as fuck.

Moofers

Nothing specific, but Jaffe was promoting on his Twitter feed that the game was selling out everywhere. It certainly hasn't been a bomb launch just based on the number of people trying to play online and the anecdotal evidence of shelves being devoid of the game.

The way you worded it originally, it sounded like you suggested the game opened poorly. I haven't heard anything other than Jaffe's twitter either, but did you really think he'd say anything other than "Yeah its been doing great! We're happy!"?

I predicted on my podcast like a month ago that Twisted Metal would be able to pull about 1.5 million in its first month. I know PS3 exclusives sell like shit, but this is a pretty beloved franchise that I thought a lot of people would come out of the woodwork to purchase. I really hope I'm right and that Sony starts telling Jaffe to make TM2 because I like the game and want my next installment with 12 characters!

DenogginizerOS

The way you worded it originally, it sounded like you suggested the game opened poorly. I haven't heard anything other than Jaffe's twitter either, but did you really think he'd say anything other than "Yeah its been doing great! We're happy!"?

I predicted on my podcast like a month ago that Twisted Metal would be able to pull about 1.5 million in its first month. I know PS3 exclusives sell like shit, but this is a pretty beloved franchise that I thought a lot of people would come out of the woodwork to purchase. I really hope I'm right and that Sony starts telling Jaffe to make TM2 because I like the game and want my next installment with 12 characters!

I was implying that since the sales have been reportedly strong and cash is in the coffers, the urgency to fix issues is diminished. Sony has given little support to this beloved franchise's latest release and if it were not for Jaffe's tireless efforts to promote it, I would say promotion for this game has been almost non-existent. Add to it the inexplicable delay in pinning down the issues, I just get the sense Sony is either preoccupied elsewhere, incompetent, or don't care (or all of the above).

Himself

If I may add my 2 cents for the Dollface Juggernaut battle: take it slow, stick to the hills, pop out and unload then head back to the hills. Mostly just take it slow and plan your attacks around where the next health pack will spawn. I tried to beast it, but then quickly changed my approach to Apache ambush style and it worked much better.

Any tips on how to beat Dollface's race?

Also, hey GAF...why don't we play anything other than team death match? A little Hunted or Nuke next time maybe?

Any tips on how to beat Dollface's race?

Also, hey GAF...why don't we play anything other than team death match? A little Hunted or Nuke next time maybe?

1. I used Death Warrant. Kamikaze and Crimson Fury, while faster, have slippery handling that can cost you on the tight turns and rooftops.

2. Was trying to rank up and you don't gain XP for killing any non-hunted players (so very low XP in that mode). May host some Team LMS and Nuke tomorrow if you guys want, though switching from TDM/TLMS to Nuke and back requires me to set up a new lobby.

Note: I would do FFA if I could set a player cap - 16 players is way too crazy imo. 6-10 player FFA would be great. I think it was 8 players in the demo. That felt perfect

Moofers

Sweet Tooth's Carnival of Carnage: Who the fuck thought this up and why did they think it would be a good idea? Jesus tap-dancing CHRIST is this thing infuriating. Been at it for over an hour now and I can't get past the 3rd stage of it. I needed to use Outlaw earlier for the armor, but now I'm stuck with a slow tub of a vehicle when I really need something nimble with acceleration.

Himself

1. I used Death Warrant. Kamikaze and Crimson Fury, while faster, have slippery handling that can cost you on the tight turns and rooftops.

2. Was trying to rank up and you don't gain XP for killing any non-hunted players (so very low XP in that mode). May host some Team LMS and Nuke tomorrow if you guys want, though switching from TDM/TLMS to Nuke and back requires me to set up a new lobby.

Note: I would do FFA if I could set a player cap - 16 players is way too crazy imo. 6-10 player FFA would be great. I think it was 8 players in the demo. That felt perfect

1. Thanks

2. Gotcha. I still haven't really quite figured out how the whole XP/unlocking stuff goes yet. I've been booted from too many games.

cametall

I like how Jaffe goes into the nitty gritty "this is what is causing this issue, here is our status on it."

Too often I feel like my chain is being jerked around by developers with serious bugs in their games, like Monolith and their perpetual silence/"we're troubleshooting it" on the resetting stats issue in Gotham City Impostors, or Bethesda/Obsidian with corrupting save files in FONV (damn cowboy hat quest...).

It's refreshing.

DirtyLary

It's refreshing.

Refreshing, if things get resolved. EVERY game now has issues. Price of gaming, dlc is through the roof but the quality of the delivered product is rock bottom these days.

It's great he's keeping us in the loop, but will things get resolved. He's already talking about working on the next big thing... TM already swept under the rug? I hope not. Sonys got a great game here, support it. /rant

J-Rod

Is there a guide somewhere that talks about multiplayer unlocks? I reached rank 2 (lol ; ;) and expected an unlock of some sort, but didn't get anything. Is there a screen where you pick your unlocks and what not or is it automatic?

Moofers

Is there a guide somewhere that talks about multiplayer unlocks? I reached rank 2 (lol ; ;) and expected an unlock of some sort, but didn't get anything. Is there a screen where you pick your unlocks and what not or is it automatic?

Gotta manually choose the cars you unlock. Start from the main menu.

Moofers

Just wrapped up Story mode on Normal difficulty. Holy hell are some of those stages soul-crushingly frustrating. The worst offender is the one. I really hated it.

Storylines were cool enough. Sweet Tooth's was good, Grimm's was great, and Dollface's was just okay. Preacher really should have just been cut altogether since he really just served to make me think the game was unfinished.

I don't think I'll bother playing Story stuff again. Challenge mode can provide all the solo fun I need, and the online is loads of fun. Looking forward to having Jaffe on my podcast so I can talk about the game with him. Got lots of questions and opinions.

BHK3

Banned
Just wrapped up Story mode on Normal difficulty. Holy hell are some of those stages soul-crushingly frustrating. The worst offender is the one. I really hated it.

Storylines were cool enough. Sweet Tooth's was good, Grimm's was great, and Dollface's was just okay. Preacher really should have just been cut altogether since he really just served to make me think the game was unfinished.

I don't think I'll bother playing Story stuff again. Challenge mode can provide all the solo fun I need, and the online is loads of fun. Looking forward to having Jaffe on my podcast so I can talk about the game with him. Got lots of questions and opinions.

Please don't ask him about DLC please, I'm getting tired of Jaffe answering the same 20 questions 40 times.

bonesquad

The last race doesn't actually need a super fast car, but by the time I realized that I basically had the track ingrained in my mind.

For the second part
you need to ram the bullseye to get a clown holding a bomb to shoot out. Have him jump on your car then ramp into the clown face.

Ah, I thought I tried that but nothing happened. I figured I'd see a mini cut scene or one of those bombs at top disappear. Maybe I missed since the ramps keep spinning. I'll try again.

And yeah, same here. I used kamikaze (probably should have used a different car). The moment I stopped using turbo all the time was when I was finally able to get to the end of the race since I knew where all the checkpoints were by that point. Wasn't that hard then:)

ElRenoRaven

I like how Jaffe goes into the nitty gritty "this is what is causing this issue, here is our status on it."

Too often I feel like my chain is being jerked around by developers with serious bugs in their games, like Monolith and their perpetual silence/"we're troubleshooting it" on the resetting stats issue in Gotham City Impostors, or Bethesda/Obsidian with corrupting save files in FONV (damn cowboy hat quest...).

It's refreshing.

It really is. With him you know he's going to tell you the truth or at least what he has been told. Case of the skin tools is a prime example. They've told him so many things even he will update us but say yea I'll believe it when I see it too. So he's very honest. That's one of the reasons I've always respected the hell out of the guy.

I have to agree about Preacher. He really served no purpose to the story. In fact the story may have been better without him because that would have given more room to focus on the actual story of Grimm for example. He lost a whole cutscene to Preacher after all. I would have loved for example to find out what caused his dad's accident.

AEREC

It really is. With him you know he's going to tell you the truth or at least what he has been told. Case of the skin tools is a prime example. They've told him so many things even he will update us but say yea I'll believe it when I see it too. So he's very honest. That's one of the reasons I've always respected the hell out of the guy.

I have to agree about Preacher. He really served no purpose to the story. In fact the story may have been better without him because that would have given more room to focus on the actual story of Grimm for example. He lost a whole cutscene to Preacher after all. I would have loved for example to find out what caused his dad's accident.

I just assumed it was a failed stunt that went horribly wrong.

ElRenoRaven

I just assumed it was a failed stunt that went horribly wrong.

Yea but how did it fail? Did he hit the ramp wrong? Was the bike screwed with? What? We don't know. The biggest reason I wonder is because
As you can clearly see in Dollface's campaign section the doctor she goes to is Calypso. His name was Ospylac which is Calypso backwards
. So who's to say Calypso didn't screw with his dad's stunt to set Grimm on the path he went down.

The final event on Twisted difficulty has me angry at the game and out for blood. lol

But yeah, shame that room didn't last too long. Damn network errors.

BHK3

Banned
Why does this look like a PS2 game?

pic.php

twisted-metal-ps3-e3-screens-1.jpg

The ps3 screenshot is from 2010 btw.

Gonna pick this up while I'm out today - never played a TM game before, I'm buying it primarily to support Jaffe. I really hope they get these network errors sorted because if it becomes too much of a hassle I'm just going to shelve the game.

Struct09

Given the solid framerate, destructible objects, and overall chaos I'd say the game looks pretty damn good.

The network errors are annoying, but I've still been able to get into plenty of games. Hope they find a way to completely alleviate the problems.

BeeDog

Because you've got sperm in your eyes from being such a dicksucker. Beat it.

No seriously, I haven't seen you in this thread before. Are you playing the game? Did you rent it (not likely)? Buy it (less likely)? Please explain how it looks like a PS2 game, or take a walk.

gpppJ.png

The Lamp

Why does this look like a PS2 game?

Because of the type of game it is: huge maps, focus on speed/framerate and stable multiplayer.

To be serious though, it doesn't look like a PS2 game >_> I don't know what kind of PS2 you had but I wouldn't mind having it if it could pump out these graphics.

Wow, beat the final event on my first try since the other night when I rage quitted on it. lol

The secret? A faster car. Roadkill did it for me, and made the wrecking ball gauntlet much more manageable. I still got hit by one but luckily, it propelled me forward instead of into the sky and off the course.

But yeah, forget Warthog. I have no interest in playing the campaign ever again, even if it is to just clean up a few more Golds. Disappointment.

DenogginizerOS

Because you've got sperm in your eyes from being such a dicksucker. Beat it.

No seriously, I haven't seen you in this thread before. Are you playing the game? Did you rent it (not likely)? Buy it (less likely)? Please explain how it looks like a PS2 game, or take a walk.

That may not be the best way to make your point

Top Bottom