• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Idiots who think this look like a PS2 game.

So here are my thought as a big twisted fan:

Like that the SP is varied. Still dont like the ganging up. Especially in the
Juggernaught and races. In the races its 8 on 1. You would think at least in that the other cars would be set to fight each other instead of just you
stages. Death match is similar but easier to deal with.

Not a big fan of the story so far, I just finished the Sweet Tooth part of it. The whole
He killed his family stuff
doesnt sit right with me but thats more my age then it is a bad story. To be fair, I am only a third way through.

The MP is really where this shines. First of all the ganging up stops instantly making it more enjoyable. The network errors are a real pain in the ass. I'm sure that will get fixed. I don't know what people are complaining about with the graphics. It looks great to me. If there were fancier textures making the game look nicer but it lagged like a mother fucker people would be killing it. This game by far has the best net code out there considering the speed and amount of chaos going on.

Overall Jaffe and crew, well done! Hopefully you will give us some DLC and a proper sequel on the PS4.

RagnarokX

Idiots who think this look like a PS2 game.

So here are my thought as a big twisted fan:

Like that the SP is varied. Still dont like the ganging up. Especially in the
Juggernaught and races. In the races its 8 on 1. You would think at least in that the other cars would be set to fight each other instead of just you
stages. Death match is similar but easier to deal with.

Not a big fan of the story so far, I just finished the Sweet Tooth part of it. The whole
He killed his family stuff
doesnt sit right with me but thats more my age then it is a bad story. To be fair, I am only a third way through.

The MP is really where this shines. First of all the ganging up stops instantly making it more enjoyable. The network errors are a real pain in the ass. I'm sure that will get fixed. I don't know what people are complaining about with the graphics. It looks great to me. If there were fancier textures making the game look nicer but it lagged like a mother fucker people would be killing it. This game by far has the best net code out there considering the speed and amount of chaos going on.

Overall Jaffe and crew, well done! Hopefully you will give us some DLC and a proper sequel on the PS4.
Each story is progressively less interesting. They're well-made, though.

I said some harsh words about the live action movies earlier, but I have to admit that they were very cool. I'd still prefer more characters and endings in the future, though... the old school way.

Edit: disregard, I just rewatched Dollface's ending. I did miss a line lol. Still not a big fan of it.

Happy with the other endings, though.. especially the Preacher and first post-credits scene. The second one, though...
I was expecting him to bring back Needles, as Dark Tooth. Not Sweet Toothette. lol

Moofers

Happy with the other endings, though.. especially the Preacher and first post-credits scene. The second one, though...
I was expecting him to bring back Needles, as Dark Tooth. Not Sweet Toothette. lol

The 2nd one is cool, but annoying at the same time since there are no plans for a sequel. Devs need to learn to wrap it up in one game if they don't have concrete plans for a followup.

The 2nd one is cool, but annoying at the same time since there are no plans for a sequel. Devs need to learn to wrap it up in one game if they don't have concrete plans for a followup.

There has to be more to it. I think Jaffe might be pulling a Jaffe again and lying about no plans for DLC, sequels, etc.
The final words in the credits are: "Sweet Tooth will return in the fight for his life!" He wouldn't put that in there just to tease us for eternity, right?

ElRenoRaven

I'd agree there. A small teaser is fine but man the end really sets up for a whole sequel and we don't have any assurances there will be one.

And FUCK TWISTED DIFFICULTY. First event Darkside. I can't do shit without getting knocked around. Then I can nail someone head on with full ram special and it doesn't do shit to them. Throw in constantly getting sucked up in magnets and the instant sniper deaths when I can't even see a beam on me and fuck it. That's just bullshit. That AI is just god awful in every way possible. I honestly think it's the worst AI of any Twisted Metal ever.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That may not be the best way to make your point
Ad hominems are like the win button for arguments.

The statement is just factually wrong because of the motion blur and shader effects. It's not even on the bottom graphical end of PS3 retail.

Plus, I don't even know that "looks like a PS2 game" is the insult that people think it is, because there are a lot of really good looking PS2 HD conversions. Zone of Enders 2, God of War collection, MGS HD etc.

SolidC213

So many vultures in this game who are out to only kill steal and do nothing to you if you are full on health. Had a lot kills stolen from me in a couple of games. I am still having a ton of fun though :)

ElRenoRaven

So many vultures in this game who are out to only kill steal and do nothing to you if you are full on health. Had a lot kills stolen from me in a couple of games. I am still having a ton of fun though :)

You know kill stealing doesn't bother me. If it's deathmatch then they've set it up on points and if they do nothing but steal kills they get like 25 points or so while whoever did all the work gets the most. Hence steeling a kill really don't get you jack shit.

SolidC213

You know kill stealing doesn't bother me. If it's deathmatch then they've set it up on points and if they do nothing but steal kills they get like 25 points or so while whoever did all the work gets the most. Hence steeling a kill really don't get you jack shit.

Yeah that is true. I just like the satisfaction of getting the kill and my KDR to go up.

What is everyones favorite cars right now? I got all of the 1st Tier ones unlocked and I am still sticking to Outlaw. Has the best armor/special out of them all imo. Meat Wagon seems really good too though.

ElRenoRaven

so i rented the game for a month, and im thinking of going ahead and getting the online pass. is it worth it at this point? does the MP even work?

Right now I'd hold off on the pass. The online is great but Sony is experiencing their typical broken server syndrome. So it's very hard to get into games right now.

Struct09

so i rented the game for a month, and im thinking of going ahead and getting the online pass. is it worth it at this point? does the MP even work?

You'll run into network issues trying to get into games, but should be able to find a game after a couple tries. Once you're in a game it's awesome, MP is definitely the best part of the package.

Didn't Jaffe confirm there is going to be a Twisted Metal movie soon? That will probably be based on the events after the final two cutscenes.
Brother versus Sister, Sweet Tooth versus Sweet Toothette. That could be really dang cool.

Fuck this broken aiming mechanic is so maddening on Twisted. Riding behind a Juggs trying to just finish it off and the thing keeps targeting random enemies no matter how many times I switch the target to him.

And yeah I would hold off on the pass unless you really wanna try the multi, ESP does not have online play up to snuff yet, which is pretty sad considering the demo was broken in the same way.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
At rare but completely random intervals the game will crash and the PS3 will shut itself off. Only have experienced in it a lobby or during mid-game. Mainly I found it happen the most frequent while waiting for a game to start inside a lobby/server.

At rare and completely random intervals the game will freeze/lock up while playing online in-game. All of the issues, this seems to occur the least.

I will say that I do use a old 60GB Fat PS3. But I can guarantee that I take very good care of it. I keep it ventilated and dust free. So for people who are noticing their PS3 running hotter than usual I can confirm it is related to the game. It does not run too hot for my PS3, but I can confirm that it runs warmer than usual when playing Twisted Metal.

Just thought I'd add on to this and say that my 60GB PS3 is also experiencing similar issues. My system is in great shape as well. Personally I've never had it freeze during a lobby, but it has frozen during gameplay multiple times. It's fairly rare... I'd say about 2-3 times per six hour or so session. I've had it happen both in single player (once) and multiplayer (multiple times). The screen literally just freezes and I have to hold down the PS3 power button to get the triple beep and force reset it.

I'll try and keep an eye out for recurring steps leading up to the freeze, but I haven't noticed anything related between them so far.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Yeah, he trolled and I took the bait. That kinda stuff just pisses me off though. There's a lot of valid things to complain about with this game, but the graphics looking "like a PS2 game" are not among them. I don't think he even played the game.

I don't think this game looks like a PS2 game. Not even close. It runs really well actually and has many nice effects.

As for your comment, personal attacks are frowned upon on this forum. Wasn't sure if what you said could be interpreted as such, but I would try not to make your points by going Jaffe on folks.

Riposte

Is this currently the only to get Twisted Metal Black on PS3? Wonder if I should try selling it.

Anyway, I guess people are fine with ranked? Personally drives me crazy I can't boost.

There has to be more to it. I think Jaffe might be pulling a Jaffe again and lying about no plans for DLC, sequels, etc.
The final words in the credits are: "Sweet Tooth will return in the fight for his life!" He wouldn't put that in there just to tease us for eternity, right?

Title Fight?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
1. I used Death Warrant. Kamikaze and Crimson Fury, while faster, have slippery handling that can cost you on the tight turns and rooftops.

2. Was trying to rank up and you don't gain XP for killing any non-hunted players (so very low XP in that mode). May host some Team LMS and Nuke tomorrow if you guys want, though switching from TDM/TLMS to Nuke and back requires me to set up a new lobby.

Note: I would do FFA if I could set a player cap - 16 players is way too crazy imo. 6-10 player FFA would be great. I think it was 8 players in the demo. That felt perfect

I love Nuke, but have been avoiding it for now as well due to the low XP earned during it. Over the course of a 3 round match I seem to average around 650 XP in Nuke, and those matches can take awhile. During a typical ten minute deathmatch, I seem to earn more like 900 average. I'm looking forward to playing more of the other match types, but for now I want to unlock my primary vehicles so I can start using my best stuff.

BTW is there any way to do Electric Cage Matches online? If not, I'd love to see that as DLC - would change the whole strategy in MP. Races would be awesome to get as well.

Didn't Jaffe confirm there is going to be a Twisted Metal movie soon? That will probably be based on the events after the final two cutscenes.
Brother versus Sister, Sweet Tooth versus Sweet Toothette. That could be really dang cool.

Wow, you're right. I completely forgot about that. Maybe that is what they were hinting at.

bonesquad

Yay! Finished Story mode... on Normal. With how ridiculous the trophies are, it was strange getting 4 trophies for beating Story and watching the ending.

Arg. That stupid third part in the tube of death. I kept trying to time each section to make it past the blades as Outlaw, but the wrecking balls destroyed me. I got so pissed off one time after being knocked off the track I just gunned it the whole time with half heath... and made it all the way through that time. Figures:)

Edit:

BTW is there any way to do Electric Cage Matches online? If not, I'd love to see that as DLC - would change the whole strategy in MP. Races would be awesome to get as well.

Screw the races:), but the cage matches would be great. Even if it's just those two maps. Seems like that wouldn't be too hard to patch in...

SolidC213

Any tips on how to beat Dollface's race?

Also, hey GAF...why don't we play anything other than team death match? A little Hunted or Nuke next time maybe?

Be Kamikaze

When at the top of the two beginning hills where everyone is trying to exit unleash his freeze wave. Should slow a lot of people down. Keep doing it as the special comes back and enemies are near.

ElRenoRaven

So going back and rewatching cutscenes. I have to so I love seeing the War of the Monsters box. I would love to see another War of the Monsters too. Such a shame they never got to make another.

Yay! Finished Story mode... on Normal. With how ridiculous the trophies are, it was strange getting 4 trophies for beating Story and watching the ending.

Arg. That stupid third part in the tube of death. I kept trying to time each section to make it past the blades
as Outlaw,
but the wrecking balls destroyed me. I got so pissed off one time after being knocked off the track I just gunned it the whole time with half heath... and made it all the way through that time. Figures:)
That's your problem right there. I was using Roadboat at first and couldn't get past that stage to save my life, but then I switched to Death Warrant and made it through untouched my second try. Need a vehicle with more acceleration. Awesome that you finally did get through though.

Himself

Screw the races:), but the cage matches would be great. Even if it's just those two maps. Seems like that wouldn't be too hard to patch in...

The cage matches were probably my favorite game style from the single player, other than the bosses, and I would love to see them in MP. Not sure why they weren't in there to begin with.

Think we could guilt ESP into hooking up a little free DLC for us oh-so-patient fans waiting out the server issues? ;)

I thought it was hilarious when one of Dollface's events was
having every car focus on ou
. I thought, "isn't that how it's been all along?" I think I like Dollface's story the most. It was just...too much.

ElRenoRaven

The cage matches were probably my favorite game style from the single player, other than the bosses, and I would love to see them in MP. Not sure why they weren't in there to begin with.

Think we could guilt ESP into hooking up a little free DLC for us patient fans? ;)

I thought it was hilarious when one of Dollface's events was
having every car focus on ou
. I thought, "isn't that how it's been all along?"

I think I like Dollface's story the most. It was just...too much.

Yea. I thought the same thing. I was like wait Weren't they doing that already? Sure enough it was no different then any of the past fights. lol

Himself

So going back and rewatching cutscenes. I have to so I love seeing the War of the Monsters box. I would love to see another War of the Monsters too. Such a shame they never got to make another.

I was trying to keep an eye out for some God of War stuff in Calypso's office...

While I love the game and I know I haven't even begun really getting into the multiplayer, I'd really like to see Jaffe work on another big-budget brand new IP. I'm sure he's got another one in him.

Unicorn

still no skin creator tool. :(

Oh lawdy.

I think today I'm going to put together my Twisted playlist. While I wait through server errors.

Is there a reason to Ranked? I mean, unranked you can use any car (save Warthog). There's a point to story because you can only get Warthog that way, but what's the final goal for Ranked, when unranked is the same gameplay with all the cars? I'm tired of getting dropped mid-game and not getting any XP. Fruitless efforts when I'm getting frustrated with Axel's wonky physics based special where it is a coin toss in what it does.

BHK3

Banned
Sweet Teeth Vs. Dark Tooth

Warthog is hit or miss so far. He's great for crowd fighting and can kinda hold his own but his special is useless outside of chasing and attacking weak links in groups.

His ramming works half the time and I'm stuck on cars so much that it gets me killed. Literally there's a car under me and there's nothing I can do but just wiggle and wiggle and hope for the best, I can't believe the waggle turbo ram is locked or else I could just do that.

Oh, and I just recreated this moment in a game with me and the other driver being sweet tooth.

imager.php

ElRenoRaven

Was there gangbang AI in TMB too? I'm thinking about firing it up.

Not really. The AI would spread out and would occasionally fight each other a bit. Don't think they ever did damage to each other though. Some of the smaller levels it would be more of a dogpile but that was mainly because they were such small levels. Overall TMBs AI is a lot better I feel. The only place where the new one is an improvement is that it's AI will go for health when low.

BPK

Is there a point to using Sweet Tooth's alternate special? Unless I'm missing something he either: A. Throws his clown head and then returns to vehicle form; B. Flies around and tries to stomp on someone, which is difficult to pull off online.

Tell me I'm missing something since so far I find "Sweet Bot" pretty useless.

People with Gold on Grimm's Dual Juggs Twisted, what vehicle did you use? I beat it multiple times today in the 7:20's mark, seconds away from Gold. I use Darkside but I really have to stock up on good weapons to take out the Juggs and then there are usually 4-5 enemies left and they all run like bitches.

Have tried using Juggs myself but meh, he dies really quick for someone with such a high armor rating.

bonesquad

That's your problem right there. I was using Roadboat at first and couldn't get past that stage to save my life, but then I switched to Death Warrant and made it through untouched my second try. Need a vehicle with more acceleration. Awesome that you finally did get through though.

I was this close to quitting and picking a new car before my lucky run. Since I knew there were multiple parts, but didn't know what any specifically were, Outlaw seemed like a solid choice. I was wrong.

Now to get all golds on Twisted. Yeah, right.

ElRenoRaven

David updated on network issue. And dear lord David. Use twitlonger. I makes it easier to quote you here LMAO. As is I end up having to edit about 4 tweets together. lol

It LOOKS like they've solved all (or at least a very big portion) of the matchmaking issues with Twisted Metal. I'll explain best I can in my layman's terms: quick online and select a match are pulling from the same pool. So if you are browsing, by the time you pick a game none of those players are available anymore. You only get in a game really if you get into quick match. At least I was told this (altho I know some players have struggled to get into a fast match as well). Either way, progress! They say they expect to have a fix deployed in a few hours. I will keep you informed. Also, looking into the crash issue- will do my best to get some feedback on that sometime today.Thx all! :)

BHK3

Banned
People with Gold on Grimm's Dual Juggs Twisted, what vehicle did you use? I beat it multiple times today in the 7:20's mark, seconds away from Gold. I use Darkside but I really have to stock up on good weapons to take out the Juggs and then there are usually 4-5 enemies left and they all run like bitches.

Have tried using Juggs myself but meh, he dies really quick for someone with such a high armor rating.

I used Talon, got lucky and killed the first juggs 1 second before he spawned a car and just was pulling luck out of my ass to kill the last juggs. Killing the remaining cars was a miracle since Outlaw is the easiest cheapest car in the game, and people online know this all too well.

Moofers

Starting to think Axel should really be my main in multiplayer. That dude wrecks shop when you've got a cluster of cars all fighting eachother.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Warthog is hit or miss so far. He's great for crowd fighting and can kinda hold his own but his special is useless outside of chasing and attacking weak links in groups.

His ramming works half the time and I'm stuck on cars so much that it gets me killed. Literally there's a car under me and there's nothing I can do but just wiggle and wiggle and hope for the best, I can't believe the waggle turbo ram is locked or else I could just do that.

Have to disagree. I'm absolutely loving Warthog in MP matches so far. There's no doubt my best performances have come while using him. He can be a little tricky in 1 vs 1 fights due to his sluggish turning, but I find if I hold down turbo while holding X for quick turn I can whip him around in a 180 fairly quickly... quick enough to be highly competitive at least. Maybe things will change a bit when people learn to target me more when Warthog is popped up, but for right now he feels amazing online.

I will agree he gets caught on things at times, the turbo ram would be a big help. I've never gotten completely stuck though.

Will the multiplayer servers be split by continent when the game comes out in europe or is the multiplayer the same for all versions? Don't know if to wait for the eu release or buy the us version now.

Top Bottom