• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Helscream

Banned
So are we collectively going to have a look as the Gaf clan on TM? Or are we pretty much on our own? I am asking because my artistic skills are kinda poor and I might end up downloading and using what someone else has already done.

RagnarokX

So are we collectively going to have a look as the Gaf clan on TM? Or are we pretty much on our own? I am asking because my artistic skills are kinda poor and I might end up downloading and using what someone else has already done.
I have to learn Gimp today since my editor of choice doesn't work for this, but I plan to see about making GAF skins for every car. I love this kind of stuff.

rdrr gnr

Finished campaign last night (busy week). I was rather underwhelmed, but that's par for the course when it comes to TM campaigns (for me, at least). I can't wait to hop online with you guys and complete some objectives.

Helscream

Banned
I have to learn Gimp today since my editor of choice doesn't work for this, but I plan to see about making GAF skins for every car. I love this kind of stuff.

Cool beans man. If you do I'll be the first to download what you publish. I just want something to display the Gaf.

Let's talk balance:

What do you guys think of forcing Talon players to have to use their boost meter to simply fly? It can reduce at a slow rate so it doesn't become annoying. I am afraid that good Talon players will simply shoot from afar, block incoming freeze attacks, and easily run away for health pick ups in some maps. I find it too easy for them to oversee the whole battlefield and hide behind things. I know counter Talons will eventually balance out each other, but I still worry about them.

As for Axel, I can see why people are frustrated with him. I think what ought to be done is increase how long it takes for him to freeze players, as well make it impossible for him to use energy attacks during his special, but I think everything else is good with him-- perhaps make his jump tie in to his Energy meter?

Bruiserk

First GAF car up.

On Death Warrent, search for NeoGAF.

Qxd4q.png

I'm not quite sure how to search. Can't you just give us the URL?

bonesquad

Can anyone get this skin to apply in game? I've tried everything. I've renamed it and republished and reactivated it many times over. Can't get it to show up. Can activate other people's skins, just not my own. Grrrr.

http://twistedmetal.com/community/?task=vehicledetail&vid=147485643

I was able to add it to my garage, publish it (strange to do for cars you don't make), activate it, and when I refresh my skins in game it shows up... I don't know.

First GAF car up.

On Death Warrent, search for NeoGAF.

Qxd4q.png

How can you search for skins? There's only limited browsing.

Here's my 30 second attempt at a Mystery Machine.

tpq9y.jpg

http://twistedmetal.com/community/?task=vehicledetail&vid=147486582

Tokubetsu

Let's talk balance:

What do you guys think of forcing Talon players to have to use their boost meter to simply fly? It can reduce at a slow rate so it doesn't become annoying. I am afraid that good Talon players will simply shoot from afar, block incoming freeze attacks, and easily run away for health pick ups in some maps. I find it too easy for them to oversee the whole battlefield and hide behind things. I know counter Talons will eventually balance out each other, but I still worry about them.

As for Axel, I can see why people are frustrated with him. I think what ought to be done is increase how long it takes for him to freeze players, as well make it impossible for him to use energy attacks during his special, but I think everything else is good with him-- perhaps make his jump tie in to his Energy meter?

You have some pretty good ideas. Talon flying using meter is kinda harsh, even if it did use meter. I was thinking maybe dropping it's health down to Reaper levels. Make it super squishy so you have to use similar hit and run tactics like you would reaper. Only draw back is the "run" part is a lot easier for Talon. Easier access to some health pickups on certain maps too.

You have some pretty good ideas. Talon flying using meter is kinda harsh, even if it did use meter. I was thinking maybe dropping it's health down to Reaper levels. Make it super squishy so you have to use similar hit and run tactics like you would reaper. Only draw back is the "run" part is a lot easier for Talon. Easier access to some health pickups on certain maps too.

Thanks, perhaps harsh, but I thought it'd be effective since some can hide from afar without having anyone else notice them.

But I guess I shall get a better idea as more time passes, so far I've only seen one Talon player online in ranked games.

As for DLC, I saw this comment on Youtube regarding the ending of the game:

Twister's Helmet
Crazy 8's Gloves
Shadow's vodoo dolls
Crimson Fury's ID card (although his an FBI Agent..)

All these are in Calypso's trophy case

Makes sense to make that DLC

Bruiserk

Helscream

Banned

I will say that even though I have had a lot of frustration with the matchmaking. It is good to know Jaffe really gives a shit about what the community is saying about Twisted Metal. It really is a shitty position when you think about. His face is always associated with Twisted Metal. Yet it obviously takes more than one person to get a game up and running properly. Dude must a 800 pound gorilla riding his back right now with all this stress that goes with this. I just hope Sony makes a serious commitment to help sort this all out. This game has the most smooth and fluid online gameplay when it does work. It would be a shame for it to be plagued by this issues for ever.

If you think about it. The multiplayer for TM puts a lot of other games to shame. When you consider how abundant lag is in other major AAA titles in comparison of how smooth TM is online. If you were to take away the match matching issues of course.

Tokubetsu

I will say that even though I have had a lot of frustration with the matchmaking. It is good to know Jaffe really gives a shit about what the community is saying about Twisted Metal. It really is a shitty position when you think about. His face is always associated with Twisted Metal. Yet it obviously takes more than one person to get a game up and running properly. Dude must a 800 pound gorilla riding his back right now with all this stress that goes with this. I just hope Sony makes a serious commitment to help sort this all out. This game has the most smooth and fluid online gameplay when it does work. It would be a shame for it to be plagued by this issues for ever.

If you think about it. The multiplayer for TM puts a lot of other games to shame. When you consider how abundant lag is in other major AAA titles in comparison of how smooth TM is online. If you were to take away the match matching issues of course.

Yea I was gonna say thank you on twitter. Despite it's problems, Jaffe has been vocal and communicating with the community really well and that goes a LONG way in breeding trust. Definitely appreciative.

BHK3

Banned
I'm losing my mind because of shitty teams. I was just in a last man standing game where no one on my team got any kills, and there were people talking to each on how to play the damn game. Then when I was the last one left they were all like WOAH HE HAS A TIER 3 CAR HE'S SO GUD. -_-...

Something needs to be done by Talon, I was carrying a team in a TDM game when it turned into hunt down the guy with a 9 killstreak and Talon was the most annoying. He did nothing the whole match but pick up all the snipers, so whenever I would die then spawn, his laser would already be on me, then 2 seconds later I get headshotted. I spawn and there's his laser again, again 2 seconds later I'm dead. We lost by 3 and it was because I was spawn killed that way 3 times at the end.

Oh man I am fucking fuming right now. Plus my 6 unlock points won't fucking return.

ScOULaris

Alright, am I just an idiot? How do I access the custom skins that people have made in-game?

I went to the Paint Shop under Options, and I'm pressing the Download Skins button. It says it's downloading for about a second or two, and then it's done. When I go to skins for every vehicle, it only gives me the default 3 or 4 that came on the disc.

Can I only use a custom skin that I, myself, have made? Is it linked to your PSN account in that way?

Edit: Do I have to sign into the skins site with my PSN credentials and then click Add vehicle to my Profile?

About ready to give up on Iron Maiden on Twisted. Mechanics in this game are so shitty in some situations, make it more frustrating than it needs to be. Switched to Vermin and can get her down to her last form but am so low on health by the time I get there, a few projectiles and I am dead. Targeting is so fucking broken in the earlier stages of the fight, most of your shit gets launched at her heads instead of the actual boss. And if I try the manual rat missile, in the few seconds it takes to guide it into her, she and the little self destruct ring have somehow made it all the way across the map.

Anyone beat it with Darkside? Maybe his or Outlaw's specials will be less broken.

ElRenoRaven

God I wish the website tool was just a bit more powerful. I have no skill at all with gimp or paintshop and have the perfect image I'd love to go over some of my vehicles. The websites tool allows you to drag and pull over the vehicle and skin it but they don't have every section. They have door panels, hood back but if you want to do both sets of doors together

Take outlaw. They have front doors and back door, hood, back. They don't have roof. Then if you want to perfectly pull an image over the side you have to try and split it between the two doors but it seems that it resizes one door differently. For example I tool an image and splitit perfectly in half so I could put a half on each door. When I do one side's image is smaller then the other even though both were same exact size. If they had an option to split it up via sides and top I'd be a happy camper because then I could drag the picture across the side of the vehicle and then another across the top.

Riposte

Some random thoughts:

Still going to beat Twisted difficulty on first playthrough. Went back and easily cleared the racing level after having a better understanding of boosting. The Brothers Grimm at first seemed like a cool boss fight (though it is dumb you can't really consistently dodge the waves from behind), but then I reached the 2nd part and I basically ragequit after several tries. Man, what am I doing wrong? This game does not control that precisely for this shit to make sense to me. I'm not particularly good at sacrificing faction leaders with moving launchers in Nuke, but this seems way harder. I was warming up to Twisted difficulty, but this is stopping me dead in my tracks.

Hunted blows. Just makes me hate the aiming mechanics. It is a complete clusterfuck. As far as I am concerned this game is all about Death Match in a handful of maps (not including the amount when broken up). Suislide of New York is my favorite map I think.

Juggernaut seems to be at a significant advantage. I'm not sure if it is overpowered, but certainly far more powerful than other cars. Way too much health. My "strategy" against them is to run away from them unless their health is very, very low and I have a bunch of weapons. Reapers get points so fast. I destroy them with Meat Wagon, but I have to work my ass off to even keep up in score. Talon is annoying and probably should have less health or maybe have to fly low in order to use certain weapons.

Playing ranked makes me want to sell this game. Unranked is way more fun. It is too bad everyone is sucked into the grinding vortex so they can get their unlocks. Ranked matches outnumber unranked by a large margin and unranked doesn't give you exp so that isn't likely to change. Disconnecting from a ranked match is like watching hours go to waste. I hope it wasn't Jaffe's decision because it would make him quite the hypocrite for dissing progression mechanics in multiplayer games on Giant Bomb's e3 podcast. Those comments sold me on this game. (This is way worse than a Call of Duty progression for example).

Playing with infinite ammo/weapons + Sweet Tooth = LOL. I got booted from a game that way.

ScOULaris

Just threw together a quick GAF theme for Crimson Fury. Should make it easy to spot me online. ;)

M4yXN.png

http://twistedmetal.com/community/?task=vehicledetail&vid=147488212

• Simple grey gradient
  • Old-school GAF logo on the hood
  • BELIEVE on the back
  • "GAF" written on the license plate

Edit: Well, I just looked it the skin in-game, and the license plate somehow didn't turn out. In the skin editor the "GAF" showed up, but the license plate is the default in-game. Oh, well. The GAF logo and BELIEVE are still on there.

boosh5

Banned
Having all kinds of weird issues with the skin creator. I've now made three Reaper skins. One will show up in the game. Of course it's not the one I want. Not sure what the variable is. It says downloading Reaper skin 3, but 1 and 2 are no where to be found in game.

You have to activate them in your garage or whatever for them to show up in the game, right? Mine is not showing up. Guess it's bogged down or something.

i finished single player today, the last section was cool, got the TMA gold trophy

ended up being ranked 2 in the world on normal for overall time in the 1st campaign.

ibt3BcsQ5diX50.jpg

The skin editor's awesome. I created a skin just now to see how it works, gonna be fun to see what people can create using it. Shame my copy doesn't arrive till next week, can't wait to play.

Awesome, looks like an Enzo.

Was originally trying to create a Ferrari but after I painted it red I couldn't be bothered with the logos, text, headlights etc. So just threw on some blood splatters and a skull :)
Once I have the game I'll be more motivated to spend some proper time on the editor.

ElRenoRaven

Fuck it I give up. Goddamn I wish I had some fucking still with these programs and could draw worth a damn too. GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScOULaris

Why is it that hosts so often just sit there for 5-10 minutes with a full game room before starting the match? I swear it happens more often than not, and everyone is screaming for the host to start in the text chat.

Helscream

Banned
Some random thoughts:

Still going to beat Twisted difficulty on first playthrough. Went back and easily cleared the racing level after having a better understanding of boosting. The Brothers Grimm at first seemed like a cool boss fight (though it is dumb you can't really consistently dodge the waves from behind), but then I reached the 2nd part and I basically ragequit after several tries. Man, what am I doing wrong? This game does not control that precisely for this shit to make sense to me. I'm not particularly good at sacrificing faction leaders with moving launchers in Nuke, but this seems way harder. I was warming up to Twisted difficulty, but this is stopping me dead in my tracks.

Hunted blows. Just makes me hate the aiming mechanics. It is a complete clusterfuck. As far as I am concerned this game is all about Death Match in a handful of maps (not including the amount when broken up). Suislide of New York is my favorite map I think.

Juggernaut seems to be at a significant advantage. I'm not sure if it is overpowered, but certainly far more powerful than other cars. Way too much health. My "strategy" against them is to run away from them unless their health is very, very low and I have a bunch of weapons. Reapers get points so fast. I destroy them with Meat Wagon, but I have to work my ass off to even keep up in score. Talon is annoying and probably should have less health or maybe have to fly low in order to use certain weapons.

Playing ranked makes me want to sell this game. Unranked is way more fun. It is too bad everyone is sucked into the grinding vortex so they can get their unlocks. Ranked matches outnumber unranked by a large margin and unranked doesn't give you exp so that isn't likely to change. Disconnecting from a ranked match is like watching hours go to waste. I hope it wasn't Jaffe's decision because it would make him quite the hypocrite for dissing progression mechanics in multiplayer games on Giant Bomb's e3 podcast. Those comments sold me on this game. (This is way worse than a Call of Duty progression for example).

Playing with infinite ammo/weapons + Sweet Tooth = LOL. I got booted from a game that way.

Well the unlocks can be a bit of a disappointment, but you really have a equal fighting chance with every vehicle. Juggernaut/Talon have limited spawns in certain game modes. Like in Nuke you are only allowed one juggernaut. If that Juggernaut gets destroyed you can no longer spawn as Juggernaut. And that applies to the entire team. And considering how large of a vehicle he is. You have a higher successful rate of landing an attack. Talon is really weak, but I doubt many people use "Free Look 2" or even pay attention to Talon at all. And is especially is a pain to try and kill a Talon player when they just break line of sight over and over and over and over. If more than one player decides to focus on Talon that vehicle is dead honestly. Talon is annoying because players are not paying attention. If you have several people taking notice Talon is dead. This is really a issue of the skill threshold and not so much balance.

But the special upgrades like absorption shield, super mine, reverse freeze are neat. Stuff like Turbo boost really is only effective with bigger vehicles. And the only time I have ever used Turbo Boost with a smaller vehicle is to break line of sight with a sniper or just breaking line of sight in general. But I wish it was available at the start. The Kill streaks bonus could be toned down a little. But if its a team match and you are well coordinated you will learn to focus fire down the player with those streaks.

I would also like to bring up the point that when you do rank up your rewarded with something that is actually effective immediately. I hated ranking up in games where you would get a bunch of filler perks/talents that rarely helped you. And it wasn't until you got near the last few ranks when you would unlock stuff that was useful. Also you encounter the issue of balance. Thus everyone chooses the same 2 or 3 weapons/perks/talents because the rest are underpowered or just not as potent. Everything you can unlock can have equal potential and there is a check and balance to everything. You have the potential to be deadly with death warrant as much as sweet tooth.

I am not saying I prefer the unlockable/ranked method. But in comparison to what is out there at least what you do unlock is effective and not just filler.

Depending on the map I would say it is easier to use some vehicles compared to others. Some Like Diesel City is good for Reaper because you have a lot of places to break line of sight. Sweet Tooth works well with this map as well because the alt special makes it really easier to traverse the map. While stuff Like Sunsprings and Waytkins Harbor work well with Darkside, Road Kill, Outlaw. Gives you plenty of room to pummel your enemy with damage overtime specials because of the very flat terrain.

Also when it comes to controls I think people are still not understanding how accelerate/quick turn works. The longer you hold down quick turn the longer you vehicle with slide in that direction. I normally will face my vehicle directly towards a pick-up then slide into it. So when I grab the weapon I am already facing the direction I want to go next. And your accelerate acts like your grip. When you are facing the direction you want to be you want to immediately let go of the quick turn and slam on the turbo. You vehicle will pull straight forward and stop sliding. This game is very punishing/rewarding depending on your ability to multi-task. Turning/boosting/jumping/shooting all simultaneously. I would also go as far to say most people right now still don't understand the full potential of each weapon.

The only legitimate complaint I can see with the single player campaign is that all the AI is targeting you. When this happens you are going to be bouncing around like crazy. I remember flipping literally upside so many times when I was playing the single player. The lighter the vehicle to more prone it is to bounce. And this is obviously frustrating because you can't even attempt to get away in this state. And your shield ability is meant to give you very brief protection. Being bombard non-stop makes using the shield null and void most of the time. And weapons where you have to stay aiming at your target to keep the damage going (like crimson fury special). Being bounced around makes that special really useless because even if you can control that car perfectly you will just get bounced around and do zero damage.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Why is it that hosts so often just sit there for 5-10 minutes with a full game room before starting the match? I swear it happens more often than not, and everyone is screaming for the host to start in the text chat.

Yep, game really needs a vote to start option.

rCIZZLE

Probably because they did a poor job at letting someone know they are host when the previous host leaves. The chat isn't really implemented very well either. A simple "you are host" at the bottom of the screen or "host" by their name would do a lot to fix this.

Wait... I can't select whatever car I want online? What the fuck is this shit? Pretty fucking bummed right now. Didn't expect some sort of corny leveling system outside of sidearms.

So wtf do I gotta do to unlcock more cars? I don't have the urge to play right now anymore but I'd like to know for whenever I feel like grinding to unlock cars (fucking bullshit).

Top Bottom