• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Perhaps I was just getting easy match after match last night, but I tried Shadow for the first time and was absolutely dominating unlike any other vehicle I've tried - Talon included. I ended up at something around 70-9 over the course of a couple of hours in deatchmatch modes. Once you get going on those killstreaks... man, they add up.

Helscream

Banned
Well I thought I would go ahead and post my experiences since the patch and the servers being taken down.

It "seems" like once you get into a room/lobby and actually start playing the amount of consecutive games you can play in a row is increased. I can't really give a number, but I would say a minimum of 3 to 4 convective games before you get disconnected from the room/lobby. At the present time it "seems" like the patch improved the amount of games you can play before disconnecting, but the issue still exist.

I do occasionally find myself running into a network error while attempting to join a room. Not as prevalent as before the patch. So as the current time the "network error" seems to be less frequent.

I will say that I am seeing the "Room is Full" notification more often. Especially when trying to join a room that says it has 6/14 or 10/14 player counter according to the server browser. So the update/refresh of the server browser seems to still be falling behind.
This issue is not very frequent, but does indeed happen.

Another issue that I am still experiencing before the patch is getting kick from the Twisted Metal server/network and being returned back to the Main Menu and have to wait a few seconds to wait to log back into the Twisted Metal Network/Servers. This issue only occurs when attempting to join a room/lobby. The loading screen will come up and then after 20-30 seconds you are kicked from the Twisted Metal network/servers and returned to the Main Menu.

There is something that I would like to include that I think everyone will find very important when it comes to the PS3 having a hard crash. As in the PS3 beeps and the Red light flashes and you have to do the "System Restore Data" after the crash. This issue only occurs when the player is viewing the Server Browser or is viewing the Lobby under the "Player tab" viewing all the players in the room that displays their user name and vehicle/skill ratio.

I remember Jaffe mentioning the possibility of it being a hardware issue. I am not ruling this out of the question because I for one am not a tech guy myself. BUT I notice that the frame rate while viewing these two certain parts of the UI seems to drop significantly. ALSO to prove my point if you attempt to access the XMB while viewing one of the two UI sections I mentioned. The XMB will act very sluggish and load very slowly. The XMB does not operate this slow under any other condition in the game. Meaning I can be in the middle of a 15 player DM with everyone blowing shit up and the XMB still runs fine. My PS3 has ONLY crashed when viewing the Server Browser or the Lobby under the "Player" tab.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I will say at the very least attempt this experiment and see if the frame rate as well as the XMB slows down significantly when viewing the Server Browser or player Lobby.

I will continue to play to see how effective the patch is. But for now these are my current experiences.

EDIT:

OK just experienced the issue of being kicked from the Twisted Metal Network while attempting to join a room/lobby.

"Unable to communicate with game server. Please check your network configuration, and log in to use online functionality"

Literally like 6-7 times in a 4 minute time span.

BurningNad

I played a TDM with the other team having a Talon player, on Diablo Pass. the fighting was always at the bridge, yet the Talon player was like the worst person on their team. It was amazing. I was JYD and came out on top with 10 kills... my team won 27 to 12. :x Junkyard Dog 4lief. Stop restricting him!

Also, tried using the Sony chatpad on my new controller... and it randomly decided to open the XMB while I was turboing down a highway in... uh, the city winter map, and I sped right into the water. lul.

RagnarokX

Jaffe just tweeted that tonight or tomorrow night he'll do some 1 v 1 matches and the first 4 players to beat him legitimately win signed Sweet Tooth figures, a shirt, and a cardboard truck.

Also he said they had moving electric cage matches in online MP and some mode called "Battle to Vegas" but they were cut for time and could possibly be DLC if game sells well enough.

Also "The patch DID work but it didn't work4 everyone's issues. We're not done solving it. We'll get there but slower than we want:(."

Helscream

Banned
Jaffe just tweeted that tonight or tomorrow night he'll do some 1 v 1 matches and the first 4 players to beat him legitimately win signed Sweet Tooth figures, a shirt, and a cardboard truck.

Also he said they had moving electric cage matches in online MP and some mode called "Battle to Vegas" but they were cut for time and could possibly be DLC if game sells well enough.

Also "The patch DID work but it didn't work4 everyone's issues. We're not done solving it. We'll get there but slower than we want:(."

Just hand over the goodies right now.

Helscream

Banned
He'll just be Talon on LA Skyline.

and I could beat him, if I had Shadow. Fuck this. Been "playing" all day and still don't have the 2 unlocks I need. wtf.

Yea that would be pretty gay lol, but I am up for the challenge. It all depends on what map and what vehicle he uses in that map. BRING IT JAFFE! WOOT!

Tokubetsu

Loads of Network errors tonight. I fear this game is completely broken and cannot be fixed.

iJgTogYWkxObh.gif

Loads of Network errors tonight. I fear this game is completely broken and cannot be fixed.

This game being broken beyond repair will be the end of multiplayer shooters for me. I was already fatigued with multiplayer FPS's and TPS's so this was the last hope.

So uhh, no pressure, Jaffe. Just sayin'.

shuri

Banned
I rented this game, thinking it would be better than the demo; and it was, but damn I feel like a fool for buying the online pass. The singler player is amusing in short doses, but eh i havent being able to get play one single mp game so far..

I rented this game, thinking it would be better than the demo; and it was, but damn I feel like a fool for buying the online pass. The singler player is amusing in short doses, but eh i havent being able to get play one single mp game so far..
Did you buy the game used or something?

I still didn't get my copy. somehow my local import store keep saying soon, it's been this way since the supposed launch date. I'm going there personally today, usually I just call, two days ago the store said it should be here today. I hope I can get one, but ny now, I'm also buying Binary Domain and don't know if I'll have time to play both. damnit.

is the server error still happen? what's the problem? is it simply too many people playing or it's something else?

cametall

Just had a TDM match against the number 1 ranked player in the ladders. To say he butt raped us is an understatement.

He's a pro at freeze-then-flaming-chainsawing you in the ass.

Liberty4all

Banned
Downloaded the patch. It's basically made no difference for me in terms of connecting to games. I still can't play more than one match through (if I stay for a second I get dropped halfway through the second match). So I still have to quit out after each completed game and join a fresh new room.

It's really frustrating, I want to play with clan members. =(

Liberty4all

Banned
There is something that I would like to include that I think everyone will find very important when it comes to the PS3 having a hard crash. As in the PS3 beeps and the Red light flashes and you have to do the "System Restore Data" after the crash. This issue only occurs when the player is viewing the Server Browser or is viewing the Lobby under the "Player tab" viewing all the players in the room that displays their user name and vehicle/skill ratio.

I remember Jaffe mentioning the possibility of it being a hardware issue. I am not ruling this out of the question because I for one am not a tech guy myself. BUT I notice that the frame rate while viewing these two certain parts of the UI seems to drop significantly. ALSO to prove my point if you attempt to access the XMB while viewing one of the two UI sections I mentioned. The XMB will act very sluggish and load very slowly. The XMB does not operate this slow under any other condition in the game. Meaning I can be in the middle of a 15 player DM with everyone blowing shit up and the XMB still runs fine. My PS3 has ONLY crashed when viewing the Server Browser or the Lobby under the "Player" tab.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I will say at the very least attempt this experiment and see if the frame rate as well as the XMB slows down significantly when viewing the Server Browser or player Lobby.

I noticed this too Helscream. All my hardlocks have occurred in the server browser or lobby ...

I think the patch has helped some for me. I can join games fairly easily, but I still get kicked after a few rounds. Granted I had been waiting for the patch to really hop into multi, but I'm basing my current experience around the horrible time I was having in the Demo. Compared to it, the game is way better.

Game is also crazy super fun when it works and I hope the server kinks are fully ironed out soon cause this game deserves success and I'd love to see a sequel later on down the line.

Tokubetsu

Just got DC'd. It was a fun match though. I got a sweet snipe on Revolutionary. I was proud of myself. We only lost by one!

For a guy that is firmly against patches... hate to break it to him, but we're going to need a third one within the first month. Is this a record?

Mikey Jr.

Thank God I went with my gut instinct and didn't buy this game.

I was a big Twisted Metal guy, and I downloaded the demo the second it was up. The SP challenge had me hooked. But I COULD NOT play online for the life of me. It was completely and utterly broken for me. I tried, and I'm not kidding, close to 200 times to get into a match. I got in a few times, but the lobby never filled up past 3 people, no matter how long I stayed.

So when February 14th rolled around, I was on the fence about buying it. I decided waiting 1 day wouldn't hurt to see if the retail had the same problem.

It did.

Then the second day it was still persisting. Then the third. Then the fourth. Then I kinda lost my interest in the game. Now I literally checked right now to see if it has been fixed yet, and TWELVE DAYS LATER and its still the same broken shit.

LOL.

I'll maybe check back in another 2 weeks, but at this point, its a coin toss on whether I will ever get this game.

I know Jaffe never wanted a beta because he wanted to put his best foot forward when showing off the game, but man Jaffe, you dun goof'd. Seriously. Look at this fucking disaster.

Tokubetsu

I'd probably complain more, if I wasn't such a heavy drinker. TM is my "Stereo up, liquor in my cup" game. Good news is I got to hear helscream speak even though I don't think it was at me. I now know that my headset works!

Just got DC'd. It was a fun match though. I got a sweet snipe on Revolutionary. I was proud of myself. We only lost by one!

Blah, only because I was fighting the other Talon! lol By the time I was done with it, it was far too late to get out of view but I tried.. and failed.
Fun round though, although I died far too many times. Tried to go crazy with Darkside rams in the beginning but that didn't pan out at all. I switched to Talon because the Talon on your team was getting on my nerves, so I had to show air superiority, and I did until you sniped me lol

Thank God I went with my gut instinct and didn't buy this game.

I was a big Twisted Metal guy, and I downloaded the demo the second it was up. The SP challenge had me hooked. But I COULD NOT play online for the life of me. It was completely and utterly broken for me. I tried, and I'm not kidding, close to 200 times to get into a match. I got in a few times, but the lobby never filled up past 3 people, no matter how long I stayed.

So when February 14th rolled around, I was on the fence about buying it. I decided waiting 1 day wouldn't hurt to see if the retail had the same problem.

It did.

Then the second day it was still persisting. Then the third. Then the fourth. Then I kinda lost my interest in the game. Now I literally checked right now to see if it has been fixed yet, and TWELVE DAYS LATER and its still the same broken shit.

LOL.

I'll maybe check back in another 2 weeks, but at this point, its a coin toss on whether I will ever get this game.

I know Jaffe never wanted a beta because he wanted to put his best foot forward when showing off the game, but man Jaffe, you dun goof'd. Seriously. Look at this fucking disaster.

It's pretty sad to think about how much money ESP is losing by having this ridiculous screw up. This might go from 1.5-2 million sales, down to 750,000 or less. All because they didn't bother to check that the online worked.

Talking about sniping, I actually think that pulling off a 'clutch' headshot kill with the Sniper weapon in this game is more satisfying than pulling off headshots in most FPS games. Watching that counter tick down and seeing the vehicle on the other end squirm, only for you to get the headshot off at the last possible second is an amazing feeling. Love it.

When this game works, it's amazing. If only it would work consistently. Such a shame that they had all these errors, cause the games great and definitely has that 'special something' intangible goodness to it I think.

Tokubetsu

Talking about sniping, I actually think that pulling off a 'clutch' headshot kill with the Sniper weapon in this game is more satisfying than pulling off headshots in most FPS games. Watching that counter tick down and seeing the vehicle on the other end squirm, only for you to get the headshot off at the last possible second is an amazing feeling. Love it.

When this game works, it's amazing. If only it would work consistently. Such a shame that they had all these errors, cause the games great and definitely has that 'special something' intangible goodness to it I think.

yea, I just got kicked mid hunted match. For no reason. I had no lag, had just killed the hunted player too.

wcw

Neo Member
I love this freaking game, but the online is killing me. It takes 2-3 attempts to get into a game, then there is the host issue where the lobby fills up but then the host never starts the game, so then by the time I get into a game it never allows for much more then 2 maybe 3 matches in a row to go through before pulling the plug and having to go back into the lobby.

Jaffe, Sony, ESP, please fix this. This game is great but its going to kill the community if you don't sort this out. I think their grace period for online issues is closing soon. Its been almost two weeks since TM has come out and a patch later and its still not resolved. I think by Friday the issues need to be resolved or irreparable damage has been done. If by Wednesday or Thursday the online is fully functional I think they saved it because fans will forgive and just want to play. But too long after and some might just tune it out.

Helscream

Banned
I'd probably complain more, if I wasn't such a heavy drinker. TM is my "Stereo up, liquor in my cup" game. Good news is I got to hear helscream speak even though I don't think it was at me. I now know that my headset works!

Well I was hoping we would end up on the same team, but it seems it kept splitting us apart. So you probably heard me say something like "Yea I can hear ya" then "oh just fuck it". Be glad when we can willing team up.

He probably hangs out with the "GAH-BIDGE" dude.

Online still isn't fixed? Did Jaffe phone this game in or what?

I'm sure you aren't being totally serious with this, but I think Jaffe did his end of the job extremely well in the fact that I think that this game is designed incredibly well from a gameplay perspective (sans some of the choices for single player imo).

The multiplayer is extremely fun and astoundingly balanced in my eyes, and has an addictive quality about it which doesn't even need a progression system to keep players motivated to continue playing. I know him, Scott and co. worked to get all of these things congealed into the fun game that it is, but this stuff more likely stems from the Networking guys/Sony crew who manage the netcode/servers.

Where Jaffe and the top guys failed is in the decision to not have a legitimate beta to stress test their netcode/servers. I know they said the delay from October to February was for balancing reasons, but what about code and network stability? For such a multiplayer focused/oriented title, it's pretty silly for this game's multiplayer to be working in the way that it is.

It's sad and heartbreaking for me, cause I feel like these guys deserve lots of success with this, yet these server problems are inexcusable.

^ Not only that, but this game rarely gets dull. Each vehicle feels so different so once one vehicle starts feeling a bit repetitive just switch to another. You got 17 to choose from, and you won't even need to go through that many before your first vehicle feels fresh again.

I'm sure you aren't being totally serious with this, but I think Jaffe did his end of the job extremely well in the fact that I think that this game is designed incredibly well from a gameplay perspective (sans some of the choices for single player imo).

The multiplayer is extremely fun and astoundingly balanced in my eyes, and has an addictive quality about it which doesn't even need a progression system to keep players motivated to continue playing. I know him, Scott and co. worked to get all of these things congealed into the fun game that it is, but this stuff more likely stems from the Networking guys/Sony crew who manage the netcode/servers.

Where Jaffe and the top guys failed is in the decision to not have a legitimate beta to stress test their netcode/servers. I know they said the delay from October to February was for balancing reasons, but what about code and network stability? For such a multiplayer focused/oriented title, it's pretty silly for this game's multiplayer to be working in the way that it is.

It's sad and heartbreaking for me, cause I feel like these guys deserve lots of success with this, yet these server problems are inexcusable.

My biggest gripe is that it only has 3 charecters in it and the campaign is too short. I started playing it yesterday and I'm already half way through Grimm's campaign.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Awesome, won the kill David Jaffe challenge =D

Very excited to get the standee, it'll look amazing on my desk!

Playing through single player. And it feels a lot like Twisted Metal. I like the feel of it - you can tell there's a kind of learning curve upfront.

Am finding the racing frustrating though. The first went well but in the second I seem to be missing all the gates. I never really got into many of those loose checkpoint racing games - always seem to have trouble when there's not a well-defined track.

Edit: Oh, got it... That wasn't too bad really.

My biggest gripe is that it only has 3 charecters in it and the campaign is too short. I started playing it yesterday and I'm already half way through Grimm's campaign.

Yeah, I found the campaign to be a bit weak too, but there is traditional DM with bots too. I'm also pretty sure that the campaign was added on later since I think the game was initially designed like Warhawk in the sense that it was going to be a downloadable multiplayer only title, but Sony wanted it a full retail release so they 'added' a campaign.

I guarantee if there were to be a sequel made it'd be "bigger and more badass" with a more fleshed out campaign. The game would be designed with a campaign in mind rather than the campaign being added on at a later date.

Multi is good fun, when it works, though.

Playing through single player. And it feels a lot like Twisted Metal. I like the feel of it - you can tell there's a kind of learning curve upfront.

Am finding the racing frustrating though. The first went well but in the second I seem to be missing all the gates. I never really got into many of those loose checkpoint racing games - always seem to have trouble when there's not a well-defined track.
I still don't think they designed the race events to really be race events. I don't want to offend anyone on the team at ESP because the game is brilliant and I love it, but the singleplayer seems like a glorified tutorial for multiplayer.

If they wanted to they could of made well defined tracks for race events, but they didn't. They put the first race event on Diablo Pass just to get you familiar with how it works, and then they put it in Sun Springs and Diesel City where it just goes all over the place designed to get you accustom to the flow of the maps so when you hop into multiplayer you feel comfortable driving all over the place.

Certainly helps knowing you can bust through the mansion, pick up mega guns, hop in the pool to grab health, go around the back corner, blow up the satellite dish, go over the hills, and grab more power weapons on top of city hall all without slowing down. Stuff like that that increases player knowledge makes the overall multiplayer experience better.

Yeah, I found the campaign to be a bit weak too, but there is traditional DM with bots too. I'm also pretty sure that the campaign was added on later since I think the game was initially designed like Warhawk in the sense that it was going to be a downloadable multiplayer only title, but Sony wanted it a full retail release so they 'added' a campaign.

Ironically enough Warhawk was intended to be singleplayer only, or at least singleplayer and multiplayer. I'm still bummed that singleplayer got scrapped, it looked fantastic.

Rattles

Didn't diablos pass almost not make it into the game? Im sure there was a video of david talking about the layout and thinking it wasn't fun.

I still don't think they designed the race events to really be race events. I don't want to offend anyone on the team at ESP because the game is brilliant and I love it, but the singleplayer seems like a glorified tutorial for multiplayer...
Ah, have got it down now. I agree, that's the feeling.

I just like the straight Deathmatch-type modes the best. Part of the fun in Twisted Metal for me is figuring out all the locations and secret paths myself. The rest seems fun so far though.

At the first SDCC after they announced the game they showed off Diablo Pass in it's early stages. Believe Scott Campbell called it, "Negative 10 percent complete." They said they weren't sure if certain parts of it were fun because how they had it set up at the time the bridge was really really really long and there weren't any cut-in-paths in the canyon wall. Don't think the map concept was ever really close to the scrap list just the design they had at the time, but who knows.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Ironically enough Warhawk was intended to be singleplayer only, or at least singleplayer and multiplayer. I'm still bummed that singleplayer got scrapped, it looked fantastic.

I still consider myself lucky to have player Warhawk's single player at E3 before they scrapped it; it was fun! I wish they'd have kept it, but the final product was quite good regardless.

Top Bottom