• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Rattles

At the first SDCC after they announced the game they showed off Diablo Pass in it's early stages. Believe Scott Campbell called it, "Negative 10 percent complete." They said they weren't sure if certain parts of it were fun because how they had it set up at the time the bridge was really really really long and there weren't any cut-in-paths in the canyon wall. Don't think the map concept was ever really close to the scrap list just the design they had at the time, but who knows.

That must be it.

Helscream

Banned
Hey you killed me a few times in a game earlier I could not keep track where you were but hey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKCZqP3XzeQ&t=5m54s

Well I normally follow other people around in hopes of ending up on the same team. I don't recall getting a hot babe out of that exchange though....

Awesome, won the kill David Jaffe challenge =D

Very excited to get the standee, it'll look amazing on my desk!

When does Jaffe go online to play? It seems like he always sets up a room when I have to go to sleep. I know he is in the PST, but does he play at like 2 in the morning? I am CST.

ElRenoRaven

Well I normally follow other people around in hopes of ending up on the same team. I don't recall getting a hot babe out of that exchange though....

When does Jaffe go online to play? It seems like he always sets up a room when I have to go to sleep. I know he is in the PST, but does he play at like 2 in the morning? I am CST.

Nah. Usually it's around midnight his time which is 2am our time. Makes me sad too but hell I understand the guy's got a life. I know that one of these days I'll be up that late and luck into playing.

I decided to stop playing this game last weekend until the patch came and hopefully fixed things. So yesterday I heard that the patch had dropped (not sure exactly when it did, I've been distracted by the Vita). I boot up the game, install the small patch and go online. Connect to the first game no problem and the game fills wit players quick. So I'm thinking it must have gotten better since the game filled so quick. Play one real fun game, then on the 2nd game, I get booted right after it starts. Try to reconnect to a new game about 15 times and get nothing but "game is full" and "connection" errors. As other mentioned, I seemed to get the "game is full" message when the games did not seem full, and I have a hard time believing that that many of the games were actually full. Makes me wonder if they codded it to give that error more often so it would make it appear that there were less connection problems. Looks like I'm going to shelf the game again and wait for the next patch :(

played some online last night, it worked pretty well once i was in a room. no disconnects, just solid gameplay.

there was some shadeball using Axel who kept netcoding around then warwheeling people lol

i unlocked warthog last night, he's pretty fun to run a series of people over with.

wcw

Neo Member
I'm sure you aren't being totally serious with this, but I think Jaffe did his end of the job extremely well in the fact that I think that this game is designed incredibly well from a gameplay perspective (sans some of the choices for single player imo).

The multiplayer is extremely fun and astoundingly balanced in my eyes, and has an addictive quality about it which doesn't even need a progression system to keep players motivated to continue playing. I know him, Scott and co. worked to get all of these things congealed into the fun game that it is, but this stuff more likely stems from the Networking guys/Sony crew who manage the netcode/servers.

Where Jaffe and the top guys failed is in the decision to not have a legitimate beta to stress test their netcode/servers. I know they said the delay from October to February was for balancing reasons, but what about code and network stability? For such a multiplayer focused/oriented title, it's pretty silly for this game's multiplayer to be working in the way that it is.

It's sad and heartbreaking for me, cause I feel like these guys deserve lots of success with this, yet these server problems are inexcusable.

The first patch didn't seem to do much and its killing me that it took them that long to put out something that didn't fix much. They need to get a patch up towards the end of this week or else this is looking like a Gears 2 situation where the online gets fixed but by then people have moved on to something else.

Sad because when I do play I am loving what I am seeing. Although the game is well balanced they do need to tweak some stuff.

Helscream

Banned
The first patch didn't seem to do much and its killing me that it took them that long to put out something that didn't fix much. They need to get a patch up towards the end of this week or else this is looking like a Gears 2 situation where the online gets fixed but by then people have moved on to something else.

Sad because when I do play I am loving what I am seeing. Although the game is well balanced they do need to tweak some stuff.

Well I will say that I finished up 2 Unranked matches of deathmatch lasting a hour each. Did not disconnect strangely enough. It has to be a software related issue when being disconnected after the 3rd or 4th consecutive match. I mean literally a one hour death match on LA Skyline then a one hour Deathmatch on Watkyns Harbor.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I really like Metro, but I have to wonder if that map had a different purpose at one time. Specifically the two ice rinks and the one weird back path that connects them seem out of place. It makes me think that there was going to be a race on that level in single player at one point that forced you to go out there. I've literally never seen anyone other than Tallon players go back there during a multiplayer game; it had to come up when they were doing gameplay testing on the levels. I wish there was only one ice rink and it was more closely tied to the main level so we'd see a bit more action take place on it.

I also found it curious that Thrills and Spills never shows up in single player. It would have been a really awesome level for a race, or possibly an electric cage match. Especially considering that other levels are in single player multiple times... it's interesting thinking about what could have been.

Yup, usually around 11 - midnight PST like someone else said. Was a bit later last night, weekend I suppose.

Rattles

I also found it curious that Thrills and Spills never shows up in single player. It would have been a really awesome level for a race, or possibly an electric cage match. Especially considering that other levels are in single player multiple times... it's interesting thinking about what could have been.
It did show up as a cage match.

ElRenoRaven

So I just experienced a new bug. In a game. Playing as Axel. I die and have an 11 second respawn time and when it does it goes through the loading screen like I picked a new vehicle. Sure enough it's the default one again. Needless to say that's some bullshit.

I really like Metro, but I have to wonder if that map had a different purpose at one time. Specifically the two ice rinks and the one weird back path that connects them seem out of place. It makes me think that there was going to be a race on that level in single player at one point that forced you to go out there. I've literally never seen anyone other than Tallon players go back there during a multiplayer game; it had to come up when they were doing gameplay testing on the levels. I wish there was only one ice rink and it was more closely tied to the main level so we'd see a bit more action take place on it.
Metro in my opinion is the best map for Nuke in my opinion. The stationary launcher is right at the platform behind the ice rink, so you are forced to deal with the ice rink if you are going to launch there. But if you learned the handling for the broken subway track above the ice rink entrance you can completely skip over that section, a little risk reward there since it's easy to fall off into the water. Only reason people don't use the back road is because most don't even know it's there, but it's a great shortcut when trying to get to your stationary launcher, but if you go there when the draw bridge is up you may be SOL.

A problem though is a lot of the stationary launchers are in cleverly designed locations but so much so that it appears to confuse people so they just go for the mobile ones. I mean think about it, on Metro or Thrills n Spills how often do you see people going for the mobile launcher over the stationary one? Would be nice if we could temporarily enable only stationary launchers, but then that gets into the concern of camping.

RagnarokX

I use the back bridge to get the sacrifice from rink to rink as Crimson Fury. The bridge might be up, but most people suck at navigating the ice and the sacrifice ring is so big that even if they do catch up with me I can just race around in circles until I launch.

How come nobody ever changes the two factions in nuke? Skulls and Holy Men are both options and they have cool statues.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Metro in my opinion is the best map for Nuke in my opinion. The stationary launcher is right at the platform behind the ice rink, so you are forced to deal with the ice rink if you are going to launch there. But if you learned the handling for the broken subway track above the ice rink entrance you can completely skip over that section, a little risk reward there since it's easy to fall off into the water. Only reason people don't use the back road is because most don't even know it's there, but it's a great shortcut when trying to get to your stationary launcher, but if you go there when the draw bridge is up you may be SOL.

A problem though is a lot of the stationary launchers are in cleverly designed locations but so much so that it appears to confuse people so they just go for the mobile ones. I mean think about it, on Metro or Thrills n Spills how often do you see people going for the mobile launcher over the stationary one? Would be nice if we could temporarily enable only stationary launchers, but then that gets into the concern of camping.

Ah good point. I've barely played any Nuke so far since the XP rewards are so low in it. Been planning on branching out into new modes once I get all my unlocks done.

It did show up as a cage match.

Oh right, duh. Not sure how I completely blanked on that... I've played the SP campaign a ton of times now honestly :lol

How come nobody ever changes the two factions in nuke? Skulls and Holy Men are both options and they have cool statues.
Because

A) You can't in ranked
and
B) Most people don't know how in unranked

I agree though it is cooler. I like the theme of it more too, with a statue of a preacher and a statue of a reaper (not the bike).

I came across a few issues: -

1. Axel's special weapon turns him into a wheel for a while. Sometimes I try to crush people, and I automatically revert back to normal and I lose the special. What just happened?

2. Sometimes, I use up all my other weapons, and I am left with my Special and the Shotgun. But when Shotgun is selected, I can't fire it no matter how much I spam it. I try to cycle the weapons to special and back to Shotgun again...no success! Then I notice that even when Shotgun is selected, my toon does not even extend his hand out with the shotgun. And I was playing as Axel.

Anyone else came across these issues?

Besides that, this game is a blast!! Having so much fun with it!

ElRenoRaven

I came across a few issues: -

1. Axel's special weapon turns him into a wheel for a while. Sometimes I try to crush people, and I automatically revert back to normal and I lose the special. What just happened?

2. Sometimes, I use up all my other weapons, and I am left with my Special and the Shotgun. But when Shotgun is selected, I can't fire it no matter how much I spam it. I try to cycle the weapons to special and back to Shotgun again...no success! Then I notice that even when Shotgun is selected, my toon does not even extend his hand out with the shotgun. And I was playing as Axel. That's what I've found anyway while playing him a lot.

Anyone else came across these issues?

Besides that, this game is a blast!! Having so much fun with it!

The first isn't a bug. Axel's War Wheel special can only do so much damage. After it hits that threshold it's used and he comes out of it. And a full speed boosted ram head on on a large enough vehicle with enough health usually hits that quickly. Easy way to test it is find a couple of people all lined up. If you run over them you'll find after a certain amount of damage he pops out even if you're still going.

I have run people over with Axel's Warwheel for 70 + 80 + 90. But there are times when I activate the special, boost into an opponent....run them over once...and I'm already out of the Warwheel mode....all in less than 5 seconds!

Unicorn

I have run people over with Axel's Warwheel for 70 + 80 + 90. But there are times when I activate the special, boost into an opponent....run them over once...and I'm already out of the Warwheel mode....all in less than 5 seconds!

Yes. I've had the same experience. I've had it go all the way past 100 damage. 90 or 100 is tagged as WARWHEEL and then after that it's like AXEL POWER or something. I definitely think the special was meant to be timer based and not damage based, since each consecutive hit deals more and more damage, and the different tags for the combos.

I've also experienced that shotgun glitch, which only happens with Axel.

RoadBoat feels like he has a similar one, but I think it may be intentional. After using his special, there's a long delay before I can fire any missiles.

Yes. I've had the same experience. I've had it go all the way past 100 damage. 90 or 100 is tagged as WARWHEEL and then after that it's like AXEL POWER or something. I definitely think the special was meant to be timer based and not damage based, since each consecutive hit deals more and more damage, and the different tags for the combos.

I've also experienced that shotgun glitch, which only happens with Axel.

RoadBoat feels like he has a similar one, but I think it may be intentional. After using his special, there's a long delay before I can fire any missiles.

Do you mean Axel cant use the shotty while in the Warwheel? That seems intentional, since he needs to use his arm to shoot, which he cannot do in special mode.

Interesting that you bring up Axel's combo feature. It definitely seems that the intention is time based.

I think that's great, but his base Warwheel needs to be altered, the main Axel complaint seems to be his warwheel is too easy to execute/is glitchy.

What does he start at, 70? He should start at 30, and every combo should add +15, so 30, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120 tops, with say, 5-7 seconds to hit the combo chains. This should put his warwheel at 30-45 seconds. A good Axel player would make use of the Warwheel in cluster situations and would skillfully be able to strike up those combos.

His shockwave should receive a buff IMO and should be the primary special

RagnarokX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM50lKtsdpQ#t=47s

and yeah, if you combo it it does way more than you could ever do in 1 turbo ram + war wheel. It's clearly a glitch.

bakedpony

Somewhat off-topic, but the return of Twisted Metal reminded me of a lost classic by SingleTrac (TM1 and TM2 developer):

images

It was an attempt to put vehicular combat under the sea with submarines:

images

images

It was rough around the edges and wasn't really a critical success but I really enjoyed it! Anyone else did?

images

images

KuroNeeko

Sat down last night for some MP and was pleasantly surprised. It took me about 4-5 tries to get into a game, but once I did I played about 6 matches in a row before signing off for the night. No connection problems, no drops.

Since we were playing Team Death Match, I went for Junkyard Dog and man, was he fun. I can't count how many times I'd find a team mate low on life and running from the enemy. I'd freeze the enemy, heal my ally, and then we'd tag team the other dood. Coming from Kamikaze (and Reaper in the demo) the extra armor makes me question why I ever bothered with the light classes. His vanilla special is super weak though. It is kind of funny watching the taxis home in on enemies, so all was not lost. I don't think I was receiving XP for healing though, so I wonder if that's a bug?

Went to unlock Reaper last night, but found that tier 2 unlocks still require you to have all the tier one unlocks. Does that mean I need to unlock all tier 1 vehicles first, or do I have to unlock ALL of tier 1 (upgrades included) before I can get Reaper?

Helscream

Banned
Went to unlock Reaper last night, but found that tier 2 unlocks still require you to have all the tier one unlocks. Does that mean I need to unlock all tier 1 vehicles first, or do I have to unlock ALL of tier 1 (upgrades included) before I can get Reaper?

Yea I had to find this shit out the hard way. It is kinda lame though. It would make sense if you unlocked all Tier 1 Vehicles then Tier 2 Vehicles would be available. Ranking up is just slow because of the network issues. I know there is a patch out now, but even if you manage 1st place in all your matches it still takes time to hit rank 30 because of spend half you play time trying to get past the network issues.

One question;

Did I send you a friend request? I remember trying to send a request to "KuroNeeko" but it would loading forever and never seen the request. Then I remember you saying it was your JPN account or something like that.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I honestly don't get people's complaints about Axel. I'm never afraid going up against an Axel player because he blows up quite quickly. Don't sit still while you're fighting him and you'll be fine.

Oh and, Critical Depth was an awesome game. I pulled out my copy and played it a little bit before Twisted Metal's release to get back in that car combat mood :)

RagnarokX

My favorite reference in the game is when the stadium announcer at Blackrock says "I can't tell whats going on down there! Walls up! Walls down! This makes about as much sense as Twisted Metal 3!"

KuroNeeko

Did I send you a friend request? I remember trying to send a request to "KuroNeeko" but it would loading forever and never seen the request. Then I remember you saying it was your JPN account or something like that.

Yeah, I have you on my friends list. Makes me want to cry when I compare our stats. :( The only guy that's ever on when I play is GeorgeThePlushie.

KalBalboa

Banned
Somewhat off-topic, but the return of Twisted Metal reminded me of a lost classic by SingleTrac (TM1 and TM2 developer):

images

It was an attempt to put vehicular combat under the sea with submarines:

images

images

It was rough around the edges and wasn't really a critical success but I really enjoyed it! Anyone else did?

images

images
I picked this up off Ebay a few months back for $6. Worth every penny.

BHK3

Banned
Yeah, I have you on my friends list. Makes me want to cry when I compare our stats. :( The only guy that's ever on when I play is GeorgeThePlushie.

send me a request, I'm always on.

There's a ton of references to the old TM's and one to god of war but I haven't found anything other then the obvious ones. Only other thing I found is that David Jaffe is on the stain glassed windows on the church in the sunset springs map. That and the announcer talking about TM3.

KuroNeeko

Add me: Tokubetsu

I keep weird hours.

send me a request, I'm always on.

There's a ton of references to the old TM's and one to god of war but I haven't found anything other then the obvious ones. Only other thing I found is that David Jaffe is on the stain glassed windows on the church in the sunset springs map. That and the announcer talking about TM3.

I think I may have both of you already. Will check when I get home from work in a few hours. If not, I'll send a request later tonight. :D

For some reason I can't get my created skins into the game anymore. I can save, publish and activate no problem but the game just won't download them. Is this a known issue?

Warthog get! Had some trouble on the second and third bosses, but got gold the first time I beat each of them. I also found the best strategy for the dual Juggernaut match in the ghost town, along with any other match where you play as Juggernaut: spam absorption shield (hold triangle and press dpad right). Juggs has enough energy to use it 3 or 4 times with one bar, and it automatically fires a stalker missile upon use. With so many enemies constantly gunning only for you, the short window that it's active is no problem. Still feels totally cheap and luck-based, but this should increase your chance of winning.

Tokubetsu

Has anyone used the sawed off shotty in MP? I like it a lot in SP (I like both shotguns a lot) but I'm still clueless as to what the "best" sidearm is for MP. I guess it comes down to your playstyle.

Alex

I wish they'd do something about this host nonstarter nonsense. Also, can you not join games in progress? Is this really so spr srs of a game to disable stuff like that. I like the game, but it flows like cement.

RagnarokX

They plan to address both of those. They want to get the game fully operational online first. It seems to be working a lot better now. Not as many connection errors, games last longer before getting dropped.

They fixed the custom skins, but you have to re-upload any you already uploaded for the fix to work. They have some red artifacting for some reason, but they still look better than the dark skins.

Alex

I don't have any online errors going on myself, now, which is rad. Played a lot today and not one issue. Good stuff.

If only I didn't suck! I was good at TM Black! I'm getting a little better, I need to unlock some more cars. Right now I just try to poach kills with kamikaze.

Moofers

Had MAJOR problems with the online last night.

Got into a game, then it booted me out like it does sometimes.

Got back to the lobby and every single game was in "Game Room" with not a single one being listed as "In Game" or anything else. This makes me think everybody must have gotten shut out and we were all starting over again.

I joined several different games, none of which I was able to connect to.

I gave up after 15 minutes and played single player, trying to get golds on Twisted (holy shit that's hard)

About 30 minutes later, I tried online again. Still listing everyone as "Game Room".

More single player. 30 minutes later, another check. Still "Game Room".

Tried joining a game for the hell of it. Not happening. Refreshed the server list, suddenly I've got games listed as "In Game" so I know people are playing again. I pick one and join.

I'm booted after 3 minutes.

Worst experience I've had since Gears of War 2. Total bummer. I really hope they get this worked out because its my favorite online game right now when its working. I had a flawless session Saturday night for about an hour, then 2 hours with no problems on Sunday morning. Its such a case of blueballs when it doesnt work. I need Twisted Metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly!

Alex

I had extreme issues even getting into a match prior to the most recent fixes but no issues across two good sessions of play since.

I've not had a lot of time to play otherwise, though, so that's ok for me. I'm just now trying to get through the campaign. Love the storytelling and cheesy/twisty presentation, but I was a big fan of black in that regard. Sucks that there isn't more of it though, I think that's my chief co plaint with the game is that I don't like the gangs thing, I liked individual characters and individual stories.

Apoc87

Banned
Is there any way I can play ranked without choosing one of these rooms? Kinda janky, reminds me of some computer game from 1998.

Top Bottom