• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Just took me almost 20 minutes to find two rooms I was able to join and in both games my PS3 freezes. About to slap this shit on Craigslist, fucking tired of having to jump through hoops to play it.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
About 30 minutes later, I tried online again. Still listing everyone as "Game Room".

More single player. 30 minutes later, another check. Still "Game Room".

Are you sure you weren't looking at the "Suggested Games" list? It won't display games that are currently playing.

Not necessarily a bad thing tho imo, since we already have tons of turret based specials. Wish there was more variety like TM2/TMB. Manslaughter rocks (pun intended!), Yellowjacket ram + spikes, Grasshopper hops.

Helscream

Banned
Has anyone used the sawed off shotty in MP? I like it a lot in SP (I like both shotguns a lot) but I'm still clueless as to what the "best" sidearm is for MP. I guess it comes down to your playstyle.

It really depends on the vehicle. The Magnum Revolver is the best when it comes to sheer damage, but it takes serious accuracy of the players part to be potent. If you are using a vehicle that has good Ram damage or requires you to get close to use your special then go with the shotgun. Otherwise just use the Swarmer Rocket sidearm. I mainly use the swarmer sidearm to finish off a player that has little health left. "IF" you can maintain high accuracy than the Magnum Revolver is the best over all.

ElRenoRaven

Not necessarily a bad thing tho imo, since we already have tons of turret based specials. Wish there was more variety like TM2/TMB. Manslaughter rocks (pun intended!), Yellowjacket ram + spikes, Grasshopper hops.

That's the one area I agree totally. I really miss the variety of specials. It seems that they wanted to make them more realistic weapon wise and as a result kind of killed off some of the crazier specials. If we ever are lucky to get another game or vehicle DLC I'd certainly love a few of the crazier vehicles and weapons to come back.

SolidC213

"GAJFOIN!" game is up. need some people in here! Get your asses in here if you think you can hang (baiting you because there are only 2 people :( ). Also its ranked!

Hey guys, i got it yesterday and loving it so far. I have a question about the story mode. On the first race, i have been dying everytime i play it (it says bomb plate has been activated). There must be something i've been doing wrong.

RagnarokX

Hey guys, i got it yesterday and loving it so far. I have a question about the story mode. On the first race, i have been dying everytime i play it (it says bomb plate has been activated). There must be something i've been doing wrong.
You have to come in first and touch the bomb plate.

Well, finally got fed up and decided to bypass my router and I got into and stayed into a deathmatch room for about 5 or 6 rounds with no troubles for first time since I got the game. Not sure if my router sucks or if TM just hates them or maybe a little of both.

I was posting about the shotgun glitch with Axel earlier....and now it seems that I have encountered the same problem...but this time with the Swarmer Missile instead.

It just doesn't let me fire!!

And damn those guys who don't even look up and shoot Talon/ToothBot.

ElRenoRaven

New update from David on the blog.

http://davidjaffe.biz/

They're going to be pushing a new patch hopefully by end of week. Going to test tomorrow. Also targeting in the game is going to be improved. They have new code done by the weapons guy that should improve it. Seems that currently it takes whichever vehicle is closest to the center of your targeting even if it's further away. New code will have it say ok this guy is actually closer to you though so you probably want him instead of the guy further away.

ElRenoRaven

Is that a Sweet Tooth Limousine I see? That would have been awesome.

Yup. There is some very cool shit in all that. I really kind of wish they had been given a chance to do a proper Limited Edition with some making of stuff. I eat that kind of stuff up when it comes to games.

Helscream

Banned

They're going to be pushing a new patch hopefully by end of week. Going to test tomorrow. Also targeting in the game is going to be improved. They have new code done by the weapons guy that should improve it. Seems that currently it takes whichever vehicle is closest to the center of your targeting even if it's further away. New code will have it say ok this guy is actually closer to you though so you probably want him instead of the guy further away.

Cool. Nice to see there is urgency when it comes to the patches and such. Always funny to see him get trolled by his two daughters.

EDIT: Sigh fuck trying to be outgoing and communicate with people. 3 games in a damn row I kept asking over the mic "Hey if anyone wants to get inside the Juggernaut come to Helscream I am over here etc etc". People were oblivious to my presence even though I am like bulldozing the enemy team and you can see my vehicle from across the map. I really hope the patch comes that allows party members to stick on the same team.

I wish that were the case, it seems half the time the target goes to anyone except the person that is right in front of me... whether a few hundred feet off towards the right, completely outside of the screen or in a helicopter in the top right of the screen. It's smash your head into the wall frustrating when I'll have someone directly in front of me and the tracking is just goofy as hell.

Hopefully it'll be better and hopefully this will be the final patch.

Tokubetsu

I wish that were the case, it seems half the time the target goes to anyone except the person that is right in front of me... whether a few hundred feet off towards the right, completely outside of the screen or in a helicopter in the top right of the screen. It's smash your head into the wall frustrating when I'll have someone directly in front of me and the tracking is just goofy as hell.

Yea. I didn't even know there was some kind of rigid system in before. It was always "lol gonna switch target to someone you don't want to target', no matter where they were on my screen.

Unicorn

I hope not. These are just the most glaring issues. Once these are out of the way, I feel there are still other things that need to be addressed.

BHK3

Banned
Concept art is amazing, I love how they had plans for a Juggernaut that has a helicopter landing pad. Also looks like they had some huge ideas for a calypso boss fight, that thing looks insane.

Seeing the ambulance meat wagon only gives me hope that the sequel or future DLC will have lots of variety. Less turret specials or cars that look the same.

What the...? Why not give us some options? I don't want to suddenly switch target when I'm targetting a Talon far away! Switch target only on R3 press!

Give us options!

Good, I'm so glad to hear that. His kids are adorable! Haha, I wonder if they've played Twisted Metal... o_O

Jaffe tweeted this portfolio of concept art: http://www.weststudio.com/TwistedMetal/Index

Some pretty interesting concepts that didn't make it. I kinda wish they'd gone with the modern ambulance for Meat Wagon just to differentiate it more from Shadow.

Looks like they originally planned a 5th police faction.

That's amazing! A police faction would be pretty great, there also seems to be some Triad faction, probably related to the Limousine in some way

Unlocked Juggernaut for multiplayer earlier. Turbo ramming has never been so much fun. I always forget about the back doors, though.

Anyway, I've noticed I'm climbing up the ranks on the overall leaderboards pretty easily.. and it's not like I'm playing THAT much. Seems to me like a lot of people have shelved the game until the network issues are sorted.
I've also spotted a booster at second place on the all-time leaderboards. lol

Bruiserk

Unlocked Juggernaut for multiplayer earlier. Turbo ramming has never been so much fun. I always forget about the back doors, though.

Anyway, I've noticed I'm climbing up the ranks on the overall leaderboards pretty easily.. and it's not like I'm playing THAT much. Seems to me like a lot of people have shelved the game until the network issues are sorted.
I've also spotted a booster at second place on the all-time leaderboards. lol

I have kinda shelved the game as well. I'd love to get into it, but it takes too much effort from me as of right now.

Although, now that I just finished my last midterm I might play.

Helscream

Banned
Well I figured on a more positive note I would share my thoughts on the single player of Twisted Metal.

I would agree with what has been stated previously about the live action/CG sequences being cheesy, but being a good kind of cheese. The stuff that is there is clearly intentional. The music that is played during these cut scenes really set the tone and I found really impressive myself. A good example is playing through the Dollface campaign and listening to Cold Metal while trying to survive LA skyline then viewing the cut scene that talks about how she acquired the mask she wears. It does a total 180 and drops to a more serious tone.

Sweet Tooth's ending was expected.
I had a feeling from the start that his daughter Sophie had probably been dead for a long time. I myself was expecting him to find a way out of the coffin and climb his way back to hunt down Calypso.

Mr. Grimm's story was a bit more on the serious side.
With him wanting to prevent his dad death and the way it ended was a little surprising to me. I was expecting that Calypso would send him back to save his father, but in the process Mr. Grimm loses his life somehow. So ultimately he get's his wish, but at the cost of his own life. Kinda similar to Outlaw's ending in Twisted Metal Black.

Dollface's story was pretty cool I thought.
I didn't expect hear to die honestly. I was figuring she would have eventually become the most famous super model, but still has the mask and constantly grows more and more insane.

I was disappointed that Preacher did not have his own campaign. I would expect that he would be the guy who goes straight for Calypso and has a final showdown with him in a crazy ass boss battle. Considering what we have seen from the concept art. I would speculate that possibly there was a idea of Preacher's campaign would have been to have a boss battle with Calypso on that gigantic mobile base we have seen in the concept art. Considering the limited resources ESP had and all the effort they put forth toward multiplayer I can understand why Preacher did not get his 15 minutes of fame per say.

Overall I felt like the acting was sufficient. I would say that Dollface was probably the most convincing in terms of acting ability. I think if Calypso appeared a bit more gaunt and boney, kinda like the look he had in TM2. His character could have been taken more serious. The brief moment that Preacher had was really good as well.

Concerning Epilogue 1 & 2.
That prison/dungeon that Calypso has might be a genie in the bottle type thing. Perhaps it works as a vessel for harvested souls or something to that degree. From the display he has in his penthouse you can clearly tell there have been pass contestants. Also with Sophie Kane being resurrected and Sweet Tooth's son taking up after his fathers legacy. Really curious as to what roll Sophie will play in future Twisted Metal games.

ElRenoRaven

Wow. I don't know what they've done but tonight I've had no problems. Connected first try and actually got in 3 rounds in a room with no disconnect other then people leaving each ass beating I laid down. Nothing like coming in 1st 3 times in a row lmao.

Before tonight I've usually had to take 5 to 10 tries or more to get in a room and gotten dropped 2nd game like clockwork.

Unicorn

Did they fix unlocks? I ranked up to 16, got a tier 2 point. I have 0 tier 1 and I still have one tier 1 skin to unlock. I don't give a shit though because now I have Shadow. I no longer need another unlock.

Also I had no problems getting into games tonight.

Helscream

Banned
Wow. I don't know what they've done but tonight I've had no problems. Connected first try and actually got in 3 rounds in a room with no disconnect other then people leaving each ass beating I laid down. Nothing like coming in 1st 3 times in a row lmao.

Before tonight I've usually had to take 5 to 10 tries or more to get in a room and gotten dropped 2nd game like clockwork.

Well I am the polar opposite tonight. I just had my 4th game freeze during a match of Nuke. I been having serious issue connecting and now I am having really frequent freeze's. This shit is starting to drive me up the wall. I could tolerate the network issues, but to freaking freeze on me mid-game really pisses me off. That next patch cannot get here soon enough.

ElRenoRaven

Well I am the polar opposite tonight. I just had my 4th game freeze during a match of Nuke. I been having serious issue connecting and now I am having really frequent freeze's. This shit is starting to drive me up the wall. I could tolerate the network issues, but to freaking freeze on me mid-game really pisses me off. That next patch cannot get here soon enough.

So weird. On the freezes have you tried rebuilding your database? I've read that doing that has helped others with freezes. Can't say I've had any except the one freeze I had day 1.

BHK3

Banned
Did they fix unlocks? I ranked up to 16, got a tier 2 point. I have 0 tier 1 and I still have one tier 1 skin to unlock. I don't give a shit though because now I have Shadow. I no longer need another unlock.

Also I had no problems getting into games tonight.

I'm still missing my points which I've been bitching about for weeks.

Helscream

Banned
So weird. On the freezes have you tried rebuilding your database? I've read that doing that has helped others with freezes. Can't say I've had any except the one freeze I had day 1.

Make that my 5th. I think I am done for the night. Well I know that every time I experience a freeze or a hardlock crash I have to do the system data rebuild thing. I know some people say it helps, but it seems really 50/50. It is weird because I normally get a lot of hardlocks. For this entire day it has been freezes.

ElRenoRaven

Make that my 5th. I think I am done for the night. Well I know that every time I experience a freeze or a hardlock crash I have to do the system data rebuild thing. I know some people say it helps, but it seems really 50/50. It is weird because I normally get a lot of hardlocks. For this entire day it has been freezes.

Damn that sucks. Is it doing it for any other games? If not then maybe it's something with the servers for you tonight.

KuroNeeko

It's too bad because I see the community for this game slowly dwindling away. This was a great chance to pick up both new fans for the series and maybe even enough momentum for a sequel a few years down the road. As Mr. Jaffe has stated, they should have been working on balance patches by now but we're STILL being bogged down with buggy servers, connection issues, drops, and freezes two weeks after the game has released.

I loved TM 2 (mostly split-screen death match) and TM: Black (mostly single player) and am? was? pretty content to give ESP and Sony the benefit of the doubt because the game is great when it works. Problem is that now, in its current form, it's more stress than anything. When I sit down and typically have anywhere from 30 - 90 minutes of free time, then worry about having to get into a game, whether or not I'll get booted for performance reasons, whether or not I'll get dropped, whether or not my console will freeze (hasn't happened yet), whether or not the enemy team is rocking Talons - it's just stress. Not really what I'm looking for in my limited game time.

I'm not shelving the game mostly because I bought it new (one of two titles that I've bought new in the past year - the other being Skyrim for the PC) AND honestly since it's an import in a country that hasn't released the game (Japan) with an online pass, I couldn't trade it in even if I wanted to.

Two weeks into the game and my hype is gone. I shouldn't be coming home, looking at my TM disc, and wonder if it's worth the trouble to sign on and be disappointed. It's a goddamn waste - not necessarily of my time and money (which it is to some degree) - but of the potential the game had to be. Sucks so much with this being ESP's console Swan Song and the amount of love and experience put into the game that they're being undone with shitty connection issues. But you know what? As much as I like the game, I can't recommend it to any of my friends. In fact, I'm glad they didn't buy it because then I'd have the guilt of recommending them a game that doesn't work as intended.

Hopefully, (when) they get everything settled out, there will still be a community of people supporting the game. Heck, hopefully, I'll still be playing. Who knows though. The new Twisted Metal is the LAST game I expected to give me Buyer's Remorse. :(

Well, it's still not launched yet in EU. Let's hope they will help bring in the support! Although traditionally, Twisted Metal isn't as well received in EU.

For me, I had to wait a week from the launch date before procuring my copy of Twisted Metal.....all thanks to the stupid censorship here. But at least I'm enjoying it now. I'm still only ranked 12...I can't wait to get to Tier 2 to unlock the vehicles!!

Btw, is it me.....or does Outlaw feels exceptionally tough?

Rattles

Yesterday a thought I got upto lvl16 finally but no reward point showed up. Today I was back down to lvl14 but with all my tier 1 stuff still unlocked Wtf!?... All I want is Reaper!

Beat the game on normal! That was great fun Jaffe, for the most part I enjoyed it more than the other TMs. The last race....oh boy. I was really frustrated by it after 1 hour of failing but than something weird happened. I learned the track and became addicted to it, mesmerized by it. It took me another hour to actually beat it, coming close 4 times with the final attempt had me nudging roadkill off the ramp as I sprinted through.

I was only ranked 6000 and I actually wanted to go again to get a better rank. Up until the end I was flying through it, it looked like a scripted chase scene, that's how awesome I was, but near the hill at the end I hit some stupid pillar and dropped down which cost me at least half a min. I was so disappointed. I'm sure many loathed it but that was brilliant imo.

The last boss was cool too.

cametall

Yesterday a thought I got upto lvl16 finally but no reward point showed up. Today I was back down to lvl14 but with all my tier 1 stuff still unlocked Wtf!?... All I want is Reaper!

Sometimes after I play my very first match of the day I will gain X amount of levels after the match, X being my actual level (14 levels or so right now).

Unlocks that weren't awarded initially when I leveled will usually be awarded if I restart the game.

J-Rod

I didn't play any this weekend and started up a game last night with juggs and talons and flying sweet tooths just kicking my ass left and right with my lowely teir 1 crap. I just can not understand what they were thinking. Make a game where you can crush newbies for a little while until everyone quits playing?

Unicorn

I think at rank 5 they should throw you a bone and give you one tier 2 unlock. Would even a lot out.

Damn, I did 122 damage last night (killing blow) with Shadow's stationary coffin bomb @ lvl 2. Leaving that on Diablo Pass' Bridge is just amazing. I hate to say it, especially since I love him so much, but perhaps Shadow is too good. 45 basic ram damage. Primary special that can do 50-90 and a secondary that usually does 60-120+ if someone is dumb enough to get near, or if you have a smart Roadboat teammate that will toss someone in. He's got decent speed, enough tank to sustain a fight, good energy meter to do 2 shields or 2 super mines, enough jump for a lot of ledges and gaps, and decent fire rate. Again, I have minimal experience with multiplayer and perhaps most people aren't able to deal with him, (like talon or sometimes outlaw) but for now, he's easy to beast.

That brings up another thing, do different cars have different fire rates? I feel Crimson Fury can just launch those homing and fire missiles without abandon. Sun Springs is Crimson Fury's domain.

LA Skyline is just flat broken. Tried playing that, but everyone is sweetbot and talon. If you aren't either of them, you're just fodder. I don't know what they could do to fix it, aside from just remaking it to where it isn't a giant donut.

Pandanaut

Dammit, with the PSN maintenance it's going to be a pain in the ass to keep my streak going for the "All sales are final" trophy. It's a stupid thing to fret over but I had made a point to at least win one match before I headed out each morning.

bonesquad

I've had this game freeze on me about a dozen times; half of those occurred yesterday. What was up with that? It usually freezes during the load screen going into a game, but a few times it occurred right in the middle of an online game.

I didn't play any this weekend and started up a game last night with juggs and talons and flying sweet tooths just kicking my ass left and right with my lowely teir 1 crap. I just can not understand what they were thinking. Make a game where you can crush newbies for a little while until everyone quits playing?

I think the idea is that in theory all the vehicles should be balanced. Otherwise once unlocked no one would ever bother playing tier 1. But I agree. Unlockables in an online game sucks. And the flying vehicles of Talon and Sweet Tooth suck even more. No other vehicle consistently kicks my ass like those two.

Especially Sweet Tooth. I just have no idea how to handle him. Sweet Tooth players consistently win matches 15-1.

Unicorn

Finally, I am able to confirm that 0 damage coffin bomb is due to the target shielding. Saw an opponent do it when I was close; saw the red x but also the damage notification popped up "coffin bomb 0 damage" or whatever.

Rattles

Sometimes after I play my very first match of the day I will gain X amount of levels after the match, X being my actual level (14 levels or so right now).

Unlocks that weren't awarded initially when I leveled will usually be awarded if I restart the game.

Ah cheers that explains it.

BurningNad

Welp.

My internet was out during the short period of time I had to play the game yesterday. All you trophy hunters would know why this is worth mentioning. Not going to start over for another 30 days.

Fuck that trophy. I never want to see one like it ever again.

ElRenoRaven

That's why I just don't worry about trophies and Achievements. I used to but so many of them are total bullshit. Eventually I learned to not give a shit about them.

To be honest I couldn't even tell you what trophies I had from the game.

SolidC213

Welp.

My internet was out during the short period of time I had to play the game yesterday. All you trophy hunters would know why this is worth mentioning. Not going to start over for another 30 days.

Fuck that trophy. I never want to see one like it ever again.

You could change the date on your PS3 forward one day after every game you play for 30 games. But that sucks too.

Top Bottom