• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

KiNeSiS

Banned
Beat the game on normal! That was great fun Jaffe, for the most part I enjoyed it more than the other TMs. The last race....oh boy. I was really frustrated by it after 1 hour of failing but than something weird happened. I learned the track and became addicted to it, mesmerized by it. It took me another hour to actually beat it, coming close 4 times with the final attempt had me nudging roadkill off the ramp as I sprinted through.

I was only ranked 6000 and I actually wanted to go again to get a better rank. Up until the end I was flying through it, it looked like a scripted chase scene, that's how awesome I was, but near the hill at the end I hit some stupid pillar and dropped down which cost me at least half a min. I was so disappointed. I'm sure many loathed it but that was brilliant imo.

The last boss was cool too.

I'm with you I fucking hated it then retry after retry I did a perfect run!
I was ranked 300 something & never felt so proud.
I played on hard & at times this game destroyed me Twisted difficulty must be insane!

cametall

I didn't play any this weekend and started up a game last night with juggs and talons and flying sweet tooths just kicking my ass left and right with my lowely teir 1 crap. I just can not understand what they were thinking. Make a game where you can crush newbies for a little while until everyone quits playing?

Talon is the only one that gives me issues. Almost every time I see a Talon it's played by a chicken shit. Hovers around the tops of buildings or hard areas to access. On Blackrock they hover behind the "highway" loop thing that goes over the lava pit where it is damn near impossible to hit them.

Anyone else notice how Talon only players are around skill level 98% 99%? Once in a while I will see those same Talon players use a different vehicle and they just blow hard.

I think something has to be done about Talon. It's a crutch vehicle that is borderline cheese.

I dislike those Talon as well. Their mobility is crazy advantageous on certain maps.

While I acknowledge that Talons have weak armor, they still have shield and possibly could give them enough time to dart around some building. I can't wait to unlock Sweet Tooth so I can use Tooth Bot to hunt down these Talons.

ElRenoRaven

So another great night on the game. I only had one room I kept network erroring when trying to join. The others I joined first try and stayed in them except one that when it's second round started someone left as it started loading. Then it kicked us all. But other then that another great night connection wise. So maybe they're starting to slowly but surely get shit on the up and up.

cametall

So another great night on the game. I only had one room I kept network erroring when trying to join. The others I joined first try and stayed in them except one that when it's second round started someone left as it started loading. Then it kicked us all. But other then that another great night connection wise. So maybe they're starting to slowly but surely get shit on the up and up.

Was horrible for me. The only room I could get into and stay in was filled with Talons!

So um, supposedly the game is telling me I have insufficient bandwith and isn't even allowing me to quick join matches. Was working fine the other day. Maybe my ISP is being a jerk but I'm not sure. Going to try some other games to see what happens...

Sad. Was hoping to play this evening. :(

Edit:

Just played some Halo: Reach Team Slayer with no lag whatsoever. Halo even told me that my Upstream Bandwith was currently good so I'm not sure why TM is being difficult. Will try again in a bit.

Helscream

Banned
Talon is the only one that gives me issues. Almost every time I see a Talon it's played by a chicken shit. Hovers around the tops of buildings or hard areas to access. On Blackrock they hover behind the "highway" loop thing that goes over the lava pit where it is damn near impossible to hit them.

Anyone else notice how Talon only players are around skill level 98% 99%? Once in a while I will see those same Talon players use a different vehicle and they just blow hard.

I think something has to be done about Talon. It's a crutch vehicle that is borderline cheese.

I think the real problem is that David stated that certain vehicles have a limited number of spawns. And to be honest to only to vehicles I experienced getting locked out in real time is the Juggernaut and Junkyard Dog. I think the main issue with Talon is that vehicle has a unlimited number of respawns in a game of like TDM. Which it really shouldn't. If you can only use 1 Juggernaut. Then you should also have a limited number of Talons in a TDM.

Himself

How are you (and others) managing to get into games? Quick online action has basically never worked and when I do go into multiplayer I end up in a lobby where the game never starts. The past two times I fired the game up I haven't been able to get into a single match. It seems to be worse after that first patch.

If the next patch doesn't fix everything I'm selling the shit out of this game. I can't remember the last time I felt ripped off by a game, but it's hard to deal with the fact that I spent money for nothing at this point.

Unicorn

How are you (and others) managing to get into games? Quick online action has basically never worked and when I do go into multiplayer I end up in a lobby where the game never starts. The past two times I fired the game up I haven't been able to get into a single match. It seems to be worse after that first patch.

If the next patch doesn't fix everything I'm selling the shit out of this game. I can't remember the last time I felt ripped off by a game, but it's hard to deal with the fact that I spent money for nothing at this point.

Host a room and wait 15 minutes. Eventually people will come, and you'll either be one of the hosts that never start, get bored of no one entering and quit, or look over to see that there is a full room and are able to start it by the time half of them leave.

ElRenoRaven

Beats me. I started from release with nothing but problems. Then it got worse after the patch. Then since yesterday I've had nothing but a damn good experience. Yesterday I had one Network errror and one DC. Tonight the one Network error and the one DC. So it's improved drastically for me with no changes on my end.

KuroNeeko

Just curious, but what are you guys doing against Talons? I'm still mired in Tier 1 and have had a little bit of success switching to Vermin and using Remote Rat Rockets. Of course, if the rocket gets destroyed / I get frozen while piloting / or he throws up a shield I'm out of luck.

The only thing I can do is throw out a freeze and hope that someone is close enough to finish him off. Sniping works occasionally, especially if they're in gunner mode but most times I can't finish the job. I've tried using Kamikaze and her EMP shockwave, but have a hard time getting close enough to use it. This is usually in Team Death Match.

Nuke is another impossible story. I played a game on the map with the ice rink and the opposing team had two Talons on it. We couldn't get a single rocket to hit NOR keep them from scoring.

I'm not saying Talon is broken, I'm just saying that I don't know how I should deal with it especially since it seems like I'm the only one trying to bring them down on my team. Random pub games and I don't have a mic so there's no coordination.

ElRenoRaven

Just curious, but what are you guys doing against Talons? I'm still mired in Tier 1 and have had a little bit of success switching to Vermin and using Remote Rat Rockets. Of course, if the rocket gets destroyed / I get frozen while piloting / or he throws up a shield I'm out of luck.

The only thing I can do is throw out a freeze and hope that someone is close enough to finish him off. Sniping works occasionally, especially if they're in gunner mode but most times I can't finish the job. I've tried using Kamikaze and her EMP shockwave, but have a hard time getting close enough to use it. This is usually in Team Death Match.

Nuke is another impossible story. I played a game on the map with the ice rink and the opposing team had two Talons on it. We couldn't get a single rocket to hit NOR keep them from scoring.

I'm not saying Talon is broken, I'm just saying that I don't know how I should deal with it especially since it seems like I'm the only one trying to bring them down on my team. Random pub games and I don't have a mic so there's no coordination.

Honestly I ignore him. Played a game tonight with some. Really if you focus on Talon you're wasting time. Hence why I just focus on everyone else. I've not lost to the Talon players either time I've run into them. Last night it was 1. Tonight I ran into one game with one and one game with two of them. Each time I came in first. Course I play nothing but Deathmatch.

And yea I just don't like Talon. Not because I think he's unbalanced. I just don't like a flying vehicle in a car combat game. As most experience it just ruins the flow because someone or some people just focus on him giving me easy kills. lol

Riposte

My talon strategy is to run away unless they have very, very low health. Hopefully I can out score them. #balance

(In reality it has more to do with the awkward aiming system which can really become a mess of a thing at times.)

ElRenoRaven

So David says he's going to do another update tonight after kids go to bed.

But while on the subject of the game have you guys tried doing the stuff David posted that someone tweeted him. I've seen a lot of people on Twitter saying it worked damn well for them. If you haven't you might give this a try.

Ok, so some people have been asking for help in setting up their routers with the PS3 TCP/UDP ports. While a few may have been helped, I'd like to reach the larger audience of PS3 users. Here is a guide on how to do it (generic, mind you. I'm not going to deal with each & every router individually).

1. open a web browser, be it your PC/Mac/PS3/cellphone, and google Port Forward. the site has a massive list of ports & routers on it, which is to help users open ports on routers. click on router list, and select the manufactuer & model of your router. You'll then find steps on how specifically to add the full PS3 list of TCP/UDP ports.

2. to explain how the list of PS3 TCP/UDP ports works, it's a compiled list of ports used from all PS3 games/programs. All ports are input as 'Ranges' that are opened, whether its TCP/UDP. So individual ports such as UDP 5223 are input as Start 5223 End 5223. Ports listed already as range ports are input as such. Example: Start 990-9980. you'll also notice it wants you to choose a type, either TCP or UDP. Choose accordingly to whichever the input on the list was. Example: UDP 5223 is type UDP. Obvious, right? Also, Start & End port digits are open, so whatever that Start of that range is (TCP 990-9980) the 990 & 9980 are open & any ports in between.

3. If you scan through list of ports on Port Forward, you'll notice the MOST common TCP port is 5223. Do not worry that it is not in the TCP list, as it already is! TCP port range 990-9980 covers this port already, so it doesn't need to be opened twice.

Now that we've covered the basics on 'how-to', let's bring in the list. this list covers the entire catalog of PS3 games/programs, so enjoy.

Full PS3 list of TCP/UDP ports

TCP: 80-81, 443, 990-9980, 10000-10500, 13505, 14310-14328, 15310-15328, 17502, 18121, 18126, 30350-30400, 42100-42199

UDP: 81, 88, 2005, 3064, 3074-3075, 3478-3479, 3658-3659, 5223, 5730-5739, 6000, 6112, 9570, 9820-9880, 10000, 10500-12500, 14000-14016, 17502, 18126

cametall

I switch to Vermin and use the alt special on Talon. Sometimes I can get the player to give up on Talon during the match.

Really good Talons can dominate a match unlike any other vehicle. I tried ignoring one on Diablo Pass last night but it was one of the good Talons. He wrecked the entire team.

EDIT: Once he noticed I was using Vermin he started gunning for me through the match. I guess he's run into Vermin vs Talon before.

Rawker

I switch to Vermin and use the alt special on Talon. Sometimes I can get the player to give up on Talon during the match.

Really good Talons can dominate a match unlike any other vehicle. I tried ignoring one on Diablo Pass last night but it was one of the good Talons. He wrecked the entire team.

EDIT: Once he noticed I was using Vermin he started gunning for me through the match. I guess he's run into Vermin vs Talon before.

finding a good sniping spot with a clear view and sniper rifle is a great way to discourage them because the sniper rifle respawns really quick so you can load up on them and camp the talon. they usually get pissed and switch vehicles because the sniper rifle is on them all the time but it doesn't work on every map due to buildings. it's also lame as hell to spend the whole or better part of a match protecting the rest of your team from a talon so they can have "fun".

my only complaints about talon are, first when he's right above me, second the fact that he can get to health/weapons much faster, easier, and safer then any vehicle in the game. third the fact that like half the weapons including 90% of specials don't work on him without freezing him so even if he's weak he takes just as much to kill because i can only hit him with shitty little homing 12 points of damage missiles. sure i know swarmers and others work great on him but they are not that easy to come by and collecting and saving them in case i run into a talon is a choir. anyways it feels like a job to take care of talon so everyone else can have fun while i work, which is kinda lame.

Rattles

I hope they fix the spawning at the start of matches, especially in team games. Why don't they make teams spawn on opposite sides of the map? One Nuke game I had a vermin spawn right on top of me! And nevermind the countless times spawning with a rocket up the arse.

Helscream

Banned

Well vehicles like Vermin, Outlaw, Roadkill are good choices. Roadkill is a bit more difficult because of the low HP the vehicle has. The smartest thing you can do is reserve your energy until you absolutely need it. Like there is no need to use a freeze missile if the guy you are shooting at is low on HP. Ultimately you want to hold those specials on reserve. So if a Talon player comes at you, you can bombard them with the specials you have in stock. Most Talon players are chicken shit so they will fly away if they start to get attacked. Also if you are in a bad position to fight a Talon player don't hesitate to go inside a building to break the line of sight. If the player is dumb enough to fly inside a building after you, that gives you the opportunity to even the playing field. Because of how damn easy it is for Talon to keep the mini gun special locked on to whoever that player is attacking. It is best just to break line of sight by using a building/wall or going inside something. Shit like LA Skyline, Diablo Pass, and Blackrock are going to be the most difficulty to break line of sight with a Talon player.

In terms of standard weapons. Homing missiles/Stalker missiles are the best because of the accuracy these 2 weapons have. Weapons like the fire missile/Remote bomb are a bit more difficult to connect, but if you do it is very rewarding. Fire Missiles are best for attacking a fleeing Talon player because fire Missiles fire extremely fast compared to other projectiles. Also be sure to abuse the maximum range of all weapons in terms of distance. Because Talon flys that vehicle is almost always within line of sight. Which is the real vulnerability of Talon. There is no need to get close when you can use most weapons at a really long distance. What I normally do is charge a Stalker missile at full then release on a Talon. Then afterwards I just start to spam and fire/homing missiles I have. By the time the Talon player realizes he is under attack you will probably kill them.

BHK3

Banned
I hope they fix the spawning at the start of matches, especially in team games. Why don't they make teams spawn on opposite sides of the map? One Nuke game I had a vermin spawn right on top of me! And nevermind the countless times spawning with a rocket up the arse.

I never play LMS on sunsprings because of the spawning, I'm always surrounded.

Rattles

Bastard.
is8hx.jpg

Unicorn

I never play LMS on sunsprings because of the spawning, I'm always surrounded.

Everyone spawns by the school (at least, I always do) so it's just a mad-grab for weapons.

I don't think I've ever lost an LMS on Sunsprings.

EDIT:
^^^^^That Mother Fucker.

Oh, that's in-game?! I thought it was just a 'shop, but even better! Sunsprings?

Rattles

Everyone spawns by the school (at least, I always do) so it's just a mad-grab for weapons.

I don't think I've ever lost an LMS on Sunsprings.

EDIT:
^^^^^That Mother Fucker.

Oh, that's in-game?! I thought it was just a 'shop, but even better! Sunsprings?

Diablo pass In the small town.

cametall

I seem to always get disconnected from matches when I'm having a good game -_-

My PS3 is set to DMZ so I don't need to do all that suggested port forwarding shit right? These disconnections from the middle of a match are on ESP/Sony's side then?

KuroNeeko

Man, such a rollercoaster ride with this game.

Thankfully, I'm in a much better mood about the game in general. Still having some problems connecting in the beginning, as well as performance related disconnects, but it SEEMS like things are getting a bit more stable. I had the rare chance to play a bit this morning, as my 14-month son couldn't sleep. I changed his diaper and gave him some milk and he conked right out. So there I was thinking I had about an hour to kill before I had to start getting ready for work and there was my PS3 winking at me...

Playing in the morning (EST / PST evenings) was a much, MUCH better experience. Where I may only have about 8 games during my evening (JST), there were a crapload of games to choose from - some of them with really good pings in the 100s. I even ran into a fellow GAFfer for the first time (Gibration - dood was good.)

One thing I'm really appreciating is that I'm a die-hard Mr. Grimm fan. Sure I flirted around with Mr. Slamm and Grasshopper a bit, but for me it was Go Grimm or Go Home. I've had a chance to unlock a few other vehicles (on my way to Grimm) and am constantly surprised how differently each one plays from each other (I've been staying away from the sister cars like C.Fury /Kamikaze and RK / DW.) Thing is, they've all been fun. Healing as JYD or hit-and-run shenanigans with DW has been a blast. Now I regularly switch cars depending on the composition of my and my opponents' team. Just seems like a lot of thought and testing went into the cars and appreciate that they've all been fun to play.

Talon is pretty crazy, but I've been doing a lot of sniping with Vermin lately and it's really satisfying. The depth is crazy as well. Even with Vermin alone you can shoot out his rat rocket or alt special it to control the missile. Then you can pilot it until it the targeting reticule turns red and then launch it a dood from pretty much across the map. Or manually bring it the whole way for 100 damage. Or drive it into the ground and get an AOE attack. So yeah, I'm glad I've been sticking with the game. Just a lot of fun.

Well vehicles like Vermin, Outlaw, Roadkill are good choices. Roadkill is a bit more difficult because of the low HP the vehicle has.

I don't have RK unlocked yet, but have been finding some success with Vermin. Not sure how Outlaw is good against Talon though. To be honest, Outlaw is probably my least favorite car so far. :p

I've played more than my fair share of hide-and-seek with Talons, especially on Sunnyvale Springs. It usually ends up with me dying, but occasionally they'll get bored chasing me and move on to other prey. Thanks for the advice though!

ElRenoRaven

Yup. It's looking like the patch is going to really fix a lot of shit including lost tokens. When you hit 30 it will check that you have all the unlocks and unlock any you don't have multiplayer wise. Warthog excluded of course since he's not unlocked by ranking up online. They're increasing several settings server wise that should really help also.

I hope the new patch will fix the online issues. While I'm not running into much online issues, I have some friends who are...and it's pushing them away from the game.

weepy

I'm normally not one to really bitch about a game's story mode especially if it's strengths are in online/multiplayer play but TW seems to be the exception to this. So could anyone tell me if it's worth it just for the story alone?

Raptomex

I'm normally not one to really bitch about a game's story mode especially if it's strengths are in online/multiplayer play but TW seems to be the exception to this. So could anyone tell me if it's worth it just for the story alone?
No. Unless you're a HUGE fan of the series. I'm a huge fan so I enjoyed it for the most part. They could have done more with it, though.

ElRenoRaven

As mentioned if you're a fan of the series yes. If not then probably not.

SolidC213

I think the real problem is that David stated that certain vehicles have a limited number of spawns. And to be honest to only to vehicles I experienced getting locked out in real time is the Juggernaut and Junkyard Dog. I think the main issue with Talon is that vehicle has a unlimited number of respawns in a game of like TDM. Which it really shouldn't. If you can only use 1 Juggernaut. Then you should also have a limited number of Talons in a TDM.

nvm. misread.

Put the game on the backburner for a week since I got a Vita and jumped online today only to spend more than half of my time looking for a game. Still a blast to play though and the GAF skins are pretty awesome. :D

They really need to fix quick-online-match option. It keeps putting me in ranked games that are in progress.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. Glad they caught that in QA. Sucks though that we're going to have to wait a lot longer now. Oh well. I've been having good luck lately so I'll survive.

Helscream

Banned
I just had like the dumbest thing happen to me. I was in a TDM match on Diesel using Roadboat. It was a 4v4 and the other team had like 2 Talons. So I was spending most of my time keeping the Talon players in check. Well I was doing really well ( 9-0 ) then I decided to take the car garage all the way up to the top. So I got out my Sniper and was honing in on this Talon. And as I was ready for the headshot to come up RIGHT before I hit the trigger everyone in the game got disconnected simultaneously and I won the match by default being the last player left. I am not really upset or anything, just thought that was kinda funny.

Unicorn

Man, first game of the night was draining. DM on Skyline. Two guys with mics sounded like they were trying to boost. One was talon trying to snipe and the other was various incarnations. Early into the game I was hovering around the lead. "Dude get more kills the second place guy is closing in." A few more coffin bombs and I was in the lead. "Screw it, I'll take out this Yagya guy." I kill him, he was outlaw with minor halth. Shoot a few fire missile up at talon and they both hit, killing him. "Come on man we got beat ths Yagya guy, he's really good." The rest of the match I kept laying waste to them. Talon always seemed to have low health as just 2 rockets would destroy him.

The other guy kept either killing me or we would kill each other at the same time. By the end I was neck and neck score wise with talon, but I could hear him in the last 5 seconds screaming to get that sniper to headshot. I was in the lead by 50 pts. "NOOOOOOOO" I look down to see 3,2,1...I win, "yagya is too good," then the other guy was like, "I could totally beat his ass, stupid kid," or something to that effect. Then at the results page one guy said, "of course I do more damage, but he gets more points." I got a bonus XP thing for most damage per kill haha

Would have shit on both of them harder next game but it DC'ed.

I'm still jittery. I need to get a mic now.

Top Bottom