• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Wazzy

Banned
We need lapras to cover rock and fire. I want Jolteon or a thunder type to cover flying and water since we have neither.

PBalfredo

...not really. Psychic moves aren't particularly good as an offensive typing; they only do 1/2 damage to other Psychic types and are SE only on Poison and Fighting, and Poison types aren't very prevalent. Psychic was OP because a) as a defensive typing, the only weakness was Bug moves, of which the strongest in Gen 1 was Pin Missile (i.e., really weak), and b) Psychic types tended to have very high Special stat, and Special worked for both defence and offence then, making Psychic types bulky and hard-hitting. These properties are independent of Psychic attacks.

This is just wrong. A crapton of plant pokemon in gen 1 have poison as a sub-type as well as all ghosts. Team Rocket also uses a lot of poison types. Psychic attacks would also be great against high-defense low-special pokemon like the rock-types our team struggles against unless we're stupidly overleveled.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is just wrong. A crapton of plant pokemon in gen 1 have poison as a sub-type as well as all ghosts. Team Rocket also uses a lot of poison types. Psychic attacks would also be great against high-defense low-special pokemon like the rock-types our team struggles against unless we're stupidly overleveled.

With the last comment, I was talking competitive RB - there's not a single Poison-type in OU. Not so much relevant to this, but the 'Psychics are OP' thing is largely a product of the competitive side and not the campaign side - doesn't really matter what you use in campaign, game is pretty easy
unless you have 45,000 split personalities.

Dad

Some of the names of the people spamming "start" are pretty telling. You got us good, "Yollloswag" and "TheInconvenience".

TrickRoom

I'm morbidly interested in seeing what happens when/if they get an eevee.

Oh, the choices. Oh, the disagreements.

The Twitch hivemind is going to be ripped apart.

Wazzy

Banned
What are the chances of ever learning one of the electric moves though? At least Vaporeon is a wall.

If we get a lvl 1 Eevee(I don't remember what level it starts at) and evolve right away he'll learn Thundershock automatically.

otherwise pray to the lords we learn it at 31 or thunder later on.

Rapstah

The Release command should be rom hacked out. It's by far the most serious and permanent think they can do by accident and discourages the entire stream from going close to the PC.

Toxi

Banned
...not really. Psychic moves aren't particularly good as an offensive typing; they only do 1/2 damage to other Psychic types and are SE only on Poison and Fighting, and Poison types aren't very prevalent. Psychic was OP because a) as a defensive typing, the only weakness was Bug moves, of which the strongest in Gen 1 was Pin Missile (i.e., really weak), and b) Psychic types tended to have very high Special stat, and Special worked for both defence and offence then, making Psychic types bulky and hard-hitting. These properties are independent of Psychic attacks.
There are 33 Poison types in Gen 1; they were the most common type back then. Erika's gym (remember, most Grass types are Poison), Lavender Tower, the Fighting Dojo, Koga's Gym, Bruno, Team Rocket, and Agatha all specialize in Pokemon weak to Psychic.

trixx

If we get a lvl 1 Eevee(I don't remember what level it starts at) and evolve right away he'll learn Thundershock automatically.

otherwise pray to the lords we learn it at 31 or thunder later on.

i think it's level 25, just get the lapras. Lapras was supposed to be given that thunderbolt

Wazzy

Banned
The Release command should be rom hacked out. It's by far the most serious and permanent think they can do by accident and discourages the entire stream from going close to the PC.

I don't like anything being touched but I think this too or at least have it hacked out for certain amount of times. It's too worrysome we'll delete our main team.

If something game breaking happens (like releasing all pokemon) it's likely they'll revert to a save state, so don't worry too much

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There are 33 Poison types in Gen 1; they were the most common type back then. Erika's gym (remember, most Grass types are Poison), Lavender Tower, the Fighting Dojo, Koga's Gym, Bruno, Team Rocket, and Agatha all specialize in Pokemon weak to Psychic.

Dont forget Team Rocket love em.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

See second comment. :p

Toxi

Banned
Psychic was still ridiculously good offensively in RBY because it was only resisted by Psychic types (Similar to why Normal was good). Mewtwo and Mew are broken, Alakazam, Slowbro (though that's more due to Amnesia+Psychic-resistant typing), Exeggutor, and Starmie are all top tier threats, and Hypno and Jynx (Dat stab combo) aren't far behind.

Water, Normal, Psychic. The original broken trio, with Normal and Psychic both competing for supremacy.
We need lapras to cover rock and fire. I want Jolteon or a thunder type to cover flying and water since we have neither.
Vaporeon with Blizzard covers that... But good luck getting them to buy Blizzard from the Department Store.
Dont forget Team Rocket love em.
Yep, them too.

Wazzy

Banned
Vaporeon with Blizzard covers that... But good luck getting them to buy Blizzard from the Department Store.

Hm? blizzard won't cover water. Vape's a tank but if we're getting a lapras might as well cover are water weakness with jolteon. I mean, Lapras can learn ice beam.

Top Bottom