• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Protome

This play through is reminding me too much of my friend in primary school who tried to play through Pokemon yellow only leveling his Pidgey/otto/ot. He did pretty well for a while.

Toxi

Banned
Hm? blizzard won't cover water. Vape's a tank but if we're getting a lapras might as well cover are water weakness with jolteon. I mean, Lapras can learn ice beam.
Yeah, good point. Jolteon also gets Double Kick for Rock types.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I feel like we are being very optimist about them getting eevee and then buying and using a stone before tossing it.

Does the seller have non stone items to sell?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You people are acting like we wont decline to learn these moves. Have we forgotten Wing Attack and Slash?

Dad

This play through is reminding me too much of my friend in primary school who tried to play through Pokemon yellow only leveling his Pidgey/otto/ot. He did pretty well for a while.

My first time ever playing through a Pokemon game (Yellow), my team ended up being Porygon, Omastar, and Pikachu by the time I beat the Elite Four. First playthroughs are weird.

santi_yo

The button script is awesome.

WEqJHLd.png

Ironjam

Just realized something... The rattata in the PC has the best moveset out of all our pokemon... That shit knows Thunderbolt, Dig and Body slam. :lol

Team should be Pidgeot, Charizard, Hypno, Raticate, Jolteon and Lapras by the end imo, thats a decent enough team but it aint gonna happen sadly.

Is this optimal? From Reddit:

It is, but unfortunately 1 is impossible. We'd have to deposit DUX preferably, get eevee, successfully buy a thunderstone alone, buy a thunder tm, not toss either for eevee while fending off vaporeon and flareon fans. DUX needs to be deposited for Lapras

Btw, Blizzard is preferable to Ice Beam outside of PP in this game

Yasss that looks perfect.

I do fear they'll pick the wrong stone. Jolteon and Lapras is a great team for the end. If we were actually able to, a dratini would be nice too.

Yeah, we'll own the slots and get Dratini

I'd like to see them try

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Psychic was still ridiculously good offensively in RBY because it was only resisted by Psychic types (Similar to why Normal was good). Mewtwo and Mew are broken, Alakazam, Slowbro (though that's more due to Amnesia+Psychic-resistant typing), Exeggutor, and Starmie are all top tier threats, and Hypno and Jynx (Dat stab combo) aren't far behind.

Water, Normal, Psychic. The original broken trio, with Normal and Psychic both competing for supremacy.

Vaporeon with Blizzard covers that... But good luck getting them to buy Blizzard from the Department Store.

Yep, them too.

Psychic only being NVE on other Psychic types doesn't make it dramatically useful from an OU perspective when of the 14 Pokemen in RBY OU, Alakazam, Starmie, Jynx, Slowbro, Exeggutor, are in Psychic - you're literally hitting over a third of OU for NFE. Of the other Pokemon in OU, Chansey takes Special hits like it just doesn't care, ditto for Zapdos, Dragonite, Lapras and Snorlax, so really you're only hitting the Persian, Tauros, Golem and Rhydon line-up that hard. It's no coincidence that the Psychic types that are in RBY OU don't revolve around using Psychic type-attacks as their main damage - Jynx is used more for Lovely Kiss than anything else, Slowbro was used for the infamous Tobybro set using Amnesia to make it crazy tankish, Exeggutor was used for Sleep Powder, Paralyz Powder and Selfdestruct, and Starmie for Boltbeam. Even Alakazam sets often focused on Ice Punch/Thunder Punch rather than Psychic to a reasonable extent - your coverage gets so much better. Psychic is top-tier as a defensive type, not an offensive. The top-tier offensive type from an RBY perspective is probably Ice - you hit Golem, Rhydon, Exeggutor, Dragonite, and Zapdos for SE, and there's RBY's crazy Freeze mechanics. Even excluding Ice, Ground is crazy good - it's why Rhydon and Golem were in OU. Only two flying types, Zapdos and Dragonite, and Zapdos can't do shit to Rhydon or Golem anyway. Basically, there's a load of types I'd rather have STAB with on the offensive type over Psychic, Psychic types are just GOAT defensively and tended to have killer stat spreads.

Wazzy

Banned
Wait, did they evolve Eevee already or are you guys just hoping they do?

I see Flarion all the way.
Flarion would be a terrible choice. We have a fire type already and flarion adds nothing for coverage.

We can get Jolteon who is fast and offers us some coverage against water and flying plus pyschic and grass.

Yeah, we'll own the slots and get Dratini

I'd like to see them try

Would be pretty boss if we did.

Psychic only being NVE on other Psychic types doesn't make it dramatically useful from an OU perspective when of the 14 Pokemen in RBY OU, Alakazam, Starmie, Jynx, Slowbro, Exeggutor, are in Psychic - you're literally hitting over a third of OU for NFE. Of the other Pokemon in OU, Chansey takes Special hits like it just doesn't care, ditto for Zapdos, Dragonite, Lapras and Snorlax, so really you're only hitting the Persian, Tauros, Golem and Rhydon line-up that hard. It's no coincidence that the Psychic types that are in RBY OU don't revolve around using Psychic type-attacks as their main damage - Jynx is used more for Lovely Kiss than anything else, Slowbro was used for the infamous Tobybro set using Amnesia to make it crazy tankish, Exeggutor was used for Sleep Powder, Paralyz Powder and Selfdestruct, and Starmie for Boltbeam. Even Alakazam sets often focused on Ice Punch/Thunder Punch rather than Psychic to a reasonable extent - your coverage gets so much better. Psychic is top-tier as a defensive type, not an offensive. The top-tier offensive type from an RBY perspective is probably Ice - you hit Golem, Rhydon, Exeggutor, Dragonite, and Zapdos for SE, and there's RBY's crazy Freeze mechanics. Even excluding Ice, Ground is crazy good - it's why Rhydon and Golem were in OU. Only two flying types, Zapdos and Dragonite, and Zapdos can't do shit to Rhydon or Golem anyway. Basically, there's a load of types I'd rather have STAB with on the offensive type over Psychic, Psychic types are just GOAT defensively and tended to have killer stat spreads.

This is sort of irrelevant to the thread, as my post will be, but Rhydon ad Golem arent used for ground moves 1st. Their purpose is Zapdos counter 1st

Starmie is also used ore as a defensive offensive mix glue pokemon to help hold the team together

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is sort of irrelevant to the thread, as my ost will be, but Rhydon ad Golem arent used for ground moves 1st. Their purpose is Zapdos counter 1st

Starmie is also used ore as a defensive offensive mix glue pokemon to help hold the team together

Rhydon and Golem make great counters to Zapdos, yeah, but Rhydon's Earthquake is the strongest physical attack in RBY that doesn't have any downsides like accuracy issues or recoil. Given that a large amount of RBY OU are pretty frail physically, Rhydon's Earthquake was GOAT at clearing up a team which had been paralyzed. Similar for Golem, given they're pretty interchangeable.

Top Bottom