• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Putting a pokemon in the daycare is probably the best bet at freeing up another slot without the risk of releasing a pokemon. Whether 30,000 people could coordinate to even attempt something like that is unlikely.

Too many ledges near the Daycare.

Partition

Banned
I honestly think the streamer should step in if Char or Pidge get released. Just restart and allow us to try again.

The streamer seems more interested in the "social experiment" aspect than them actually completing the game. I doubt he will step in again, as he turned off the start toggle

PBalfredo

Putting a pokemon in the daycare is probably the best bet at freeing up another slot without the risk of releasing a pokemon. Whether 30,000 people could coordinate to even attempt something like that is unlikely.

How far away is the daycare and will we ever have the money to get them out?

Blizzard

Banned
Have any moves been learned actually replacing other things like growl or leer, or have all new moves been ignored? So far I've seen mention of wing attack, slash, and maybe one other new move being ignored.

Nope, zero interventions please. If we fuck ourselves over with something, too bad. Let it die down to a level where cooperation is possible again and build it back up.

The entire point of the experiment is to see what happens, not to beat the game as smoothly (lol) as possible.
It's possible to get to a point of no progress. If we delete everyone who can learn strength, and lack the funds to buy poke balls, the game is over and we cannot progress. Money is a finite resource in red and blue until you can rematch the elite 4.

Have any moves been learned actually replacing other things like growl or leer, or have all new moves been ignored? So far I've seen mention of wing attack, slash, and maybe one other new move being ignored.

AFAIK the good TMs have been taught to the Ratatta who is now in the PC.

Cut and Gust is all we have.

PBalfredo

Well, long ago Bide replaced ABBY's ember, leer and growl are still here, and both slash and wing attack have been ignored. Also all the cool TM moves like Body Slam have been put on underleveled Rattatas.

So pretty much the worst scenario we can muster

Wazzy

Banned
The streamer seems more interested in the "social experiment" aspect than them actually completing the game. I doubt he will step in again, as he turned off the start toggle

IIRC he already disabled Start at one point for a little.

He should disable the release option for a little so we can pc manage. Won't happen tho.

Gardex

It's possible to get to a point of no progress. If we delete everyone who can learn strength, and lack the funds to buy poke balls, the game is over and we cannot progress. Money is a finite resource in red and blue until you can rematch the elite 4.
Luckily, ABBBBBBBK( has cut, and thus cannot be released(unless we go to the move deleter).

Wazzy

Banned
If we lose this gym, the bush resets. Also there's another bush just like this inside the gym itself, which also resets if we lose.

Yup. Why people won't just go get eevee and level a bit is beyond me. We've died so many times and we can't afford to keep blacking out. We'll run out of money.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Not true. You can enter the Safari Zone without any money; they just give you a single Safari Ball instead of 30. Strength is non-compulsory to reach the Safari Zone, and you can catch Pokemon capable of using Strength within the Safari Zone.

Reversed

It is feasible to have a script for command inputs for say, a NES controller to twitch chat, isn't it?

So this is the futu-- agh (hate that pr marketing word) of multiplayer-cloud-streaming gaming, right?

Acrylic7

I just realized when they finally do get fly it will be almost impossible to finish, lol. Its going to be waaaaay worse than dig.

SuperSah

Banned
Yup. Why people won't just go get eevee and level a bit is beyond me. We've died so many times and we can't afford to keep blacking out. We'll run out of money.

We need some order.

It's hard to talk in the chat because messages appear for a split second before moving on.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

How far away is the daycare and will we ever have the money to get them out?

The Daycare does not exist in Red/Blue, it was introduced in Gold/Silver.

Edit- Oh wow, it was. Huh. Been a long time since I played R/B.

Mistel

Banned
It's not exactly like we are coordinated enough to purchase anything anyway, why worry about money?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The Daycare does not exist in Red/Blue, it was introduced in Gold/Silver.

No, the daycare is in Red/Blue, you just can't breed Pokemon. You just get levels. It's on route 5. It's also surrounded by ledges.

PBalfredo

The good part of being driven by thousands of people rather than RNG is that they know what the critical path is and they actively work towards it.

The bad part is it's damn near impossible to get that many people to concentrate on anything off that critical path.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

That is very smart, a pkm might even learn some decent moves that way.

Wazzy

Banned
We need some order.

It's hard to talk in the chat because messages appear for a split second before moving on.

Yeah but with 40k that ain't happening. :(

Even if we don't get eevee(we should because it's a free level 25), we need to grind a bit or else we'll just keep losing and spening shit loads of time trying to use cut.

Nope, zero interventions please. If we fuck ourselves over with something, too bad. Let it die down to a level where cooperation is possible again and build it back up.

The entire point of the experiment is to see what happens, not to beat the game as smoothly (lol) as possible.

Yup. This should be treated as a social experiment. Trolls and potential mistakes should be factored in.

If things get so bad that the game looks unbeatable, then people will get bored and quit. That makes co-operation easier, and whatever obstacle is present can be overcome. It's a good cycle, but it relies on patience.

Even if it takes a year to beat the game, it means more if there's no unnecessary intervention.

Not true. You can enter the Safari Zone without any money; they just give you a single Safari Ball instead of 30. Strength is non-compulsory to reach the Safari Zone, and you can catch Pokemon capable of using Strength within the Safari Zone.
From what I read on reddit, the ability to enter the safari zone without money was not added until yellow

Wazzy

Banned
It's not exactly like we are coordinated enough to purchase anything anyway, why worry about money?

Money isn't the BIGGEST factor but having a little in case we CAN buy something is smart.

We can't just keep blacking out and spending hours upon hours. But this all requires people to cooperate so meh.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, totally blanked. Haven't played Blue since it came out, and I didn't play the remakes so my memory is veeerrry fuzzy on Gen 1.

Anth0ny

If you thought that ledge east of cerulean was tough to get passed... We shouldn't even be thinking about trying to get into the daycare lol

Blizzard

Banned
Wait, you apparently DO need money in these games to enter Safari.

Guess money is important.
I saw both answers but I don't have red or blue to test it. So what possible scenarios are there to get permanently stuck in red/blue?

If the safari zone is required to beat the game (I forget if this is the case), running out of money in red/blue would permanently end the game.

You cannot release pokemon who have an HM move so that should not be an issue. Can you move delete an HM move in red/blue when no one else knows it though? That could end the game.

Voliko

This is so futile, they are going to lose so hard in the gym.

Wait do you need to enter the menu to use HM moves? I'm surprised they even got this far.
Yeah, I don't think it was until Gold and Silver that you could just hit a button up by a tree/rock/the water to use an HM.

DaBoss

I think the best way to attempt this is to go up in the house above and then spam down. This ensures they are aligned to the tree.

Yup. This should be treated as a social experiment. Trolls and potential mistakes should be factored in.

If things get so bad that the game looks unbeatable, then people will get bored and quit. That makes co-operation easier, and whatever obstacle is present can be overcome. It's a good cycle, but it relies on patience.

Even if it takes a year to beat the game, it means more if there's no unnecessary intervention.

I'd actually prefer to see a cyle like this happening to continued progress (and I'm almost sure it will without interbention, based on the challanges ahead).

People asking for smart cooperation right now are looking at it the wrong way. Enjoy the randomness and chaos and see how far it gets us. If the majority wants to do something, it'll get done eventually.

Partition

Banned
Wait, you apparently DO need money in these games to enter Safari.

Guess money is important.

And money is finite in these games, so they will spend all their money trying to do the Safari Zone over and over, and by the time enough people get bored and quit - so just a few people are controlling the game - it still won't be possible because of lack of money.

Meaning without intervention, this will be impossible to beat.

mfaex

From what I read on reddit, the ability to enter the safari zone without money was not added until yellow

Supporting this post with a cite: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Kanto_Safari_Zone#Trivia

As shown in the video below, in Pokémon Yellow, it is possible to enter the Safari Zone for a discounted price (with a proportionately lower number of Safari Balls) if the player tries to enter with less than Pokémon $500, and then for free with only a single Safari Ball if the player tries to go back in with Pokémon $0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KYtKW8o_YI

Hopefully the streamer is going to disable the step counter in the Safari Zone. That way, Twitch would still have to navigate to surf, but they at least wouldn't run out of money and probably get permenantly stuck. Hell, I could barely get to the surf thing on my first few tries and I'm just a single player.

Top Bottom