• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

0xCA2

I was so inspired by this that I (tried) to do my own, found here:

http://www.twitch.tv/antandroid

If anyone's interested (Pokemon Gold).

I hope more people do stuff like this with different games. I love it.

Edit: Darn it, sorry, this isn't working at all. I have to fix it. :(

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Pokemon Gold will get as far as Whitney, and no further.

Koren

Apparently, this isn't true in Red/Blue -- that only works in Yellow.

But yeah... If we exhaust those funds, it's gg.
I have trouble thinking Nintendo would have released a game that can fall into a stuck state. Especially with something as obvious as requiring a payment to access a story event.

Sometimes, you can't reach 100% (in Link Awakening, for example), but being unable to finish the game?

Either you can enter Safari Zone for free, or there's an infinite source of money somewhere.

More powerful gym leader teams, I think.

I have trouble thinking Nintendo would have released a game that can fall into a stuck state. Especially with something as obvious as requiring a payment to access a story event.

Sometimes, you can't reach 100% (in Link Awakening, for example), but being unable to finish the game?

Either you can enter Safari Zone for free, or there's an infinite source of money somewhere.

It's called pay day and no releasing hm pokemon

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

The fail state is quite difficult to reach. Essentially, you have to have a) used up all your money, and b) used up all your items, and c) have no Pokemon that knows Pay Day. That happens basically never, because although money is finite, there's certainly a large supply of it, and ditto with items, which are lying all over the place.

Wazzy

Banned
Based on the version of emulator this is we need to get a Mewoth from say route 8 level it up to 17 teach it pay day and the issue is solved without intervention. With that amount of coordination require and things that could go wrong, it's really a pipe dream till the viewer count drops.

We still need money for that.

Grizzo

I found the answer on this site:

Enter Safari Zone for Free
Get less than Money500, but not Money0.
Try to enter the Safari Zone. When the man asks you if you would like to join the hunt, respond yes. He will say, "Oops! Not enough money! Oh well, pay me what you have, but I can't give you all 30 Safari Balls."
Play the Safari Zone Game as usual.
When you come back, try to enter the Safari Zone again, but this time you don't have any money.
You should try to enter the Safari Zone 3 times without paying. After the third time, he'll say,"Read my lips, NO! Get it? Boy you're persistent, aren't you? Oh well, I'll let you in for free, but just this once!" You enter the Safari Zone free, but with only one Safari Ball. You can do this as many times as you want!
Battle Glitch

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We still need money for that.

Even having a Pay Day Meowth isn't foolproof, as we could accidentally release it. Fundamentally, Pokemon Red and Blue aren't trollproof.

EDIT: Grizzo, apparently that's Yellow only.

Grizzo

Even having a Pay Day Meowth isn't foolproof, as we could accidentally release it. Fundamentally, Pokemon Red and Blue aren't trollproof.

EDIT: Grizzo, apparently that's Yellow only.

Oh, I didn't know that. Well, anyway, it costs only 500, it's a long way to go before we end up with less money than that, no?

On the other hand, losing half our money each time we black out could drive us to bankruptcy quicker than I thought...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dont they need to cut the tree again every time they die in the gym? This tree might be entertaining us for a few days.

Koren

The fail state is quite difficult to reach.
Still... It's a game designed for children in mind, and some of them are bound to reach unexpected situations after a lot of play time. That's surprising they've made such a big mistake

Grizzo

So after the ledge yesterday, our big struggle of the day is that tree... Man, Mother Nature really does work against us in this run.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
No. We could accidentally release Meowth, and Meowth doesn't learn any HMs, so we can't solve the problem that way.

Also it would be yet another Pokemon that only uses normal moves.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Still... It's a game designed for children in mind, and some of them are bound to reach unexpected situations after a lot of play time. That's surprising they've made such a big mistake

It's fixed by Gold/Silver, where you can rematch trainers for money right from the start, but yeah.

Which is probably why Yellow fixed it.
Red and Blue were glitchy messes with lots of oversights and strange things.

Koren

Either way, should they reach Safari Zone, I'd say that the owner of the stream should increase the step limit and could also probably increase the money available. I wouldn't invalidate the experiment... After all, if you have to play the game from the beginning till you manage to pass Safari zone normally, resetting when you're out of money, it's not a matter of weeks, it's a matter of centuries.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Yellow only half fixes it. Suppose that a) you have reached Cerulean City, b) you have no Pokemon capable of learning Cut or has learnt Cut, c) you have no money, and d) you have no items. You suddenly can't progress. As soon as a Pokemon has learnt Cut, Yellow at the very least can be cleared regardless unlike Red and Blue, but there's a brief window in which you can get permanently stuck in Yellow, too.

Grizzo

They should have put some sort of "Bank" in the PC. Like something where you can deposit money on, and it won't ever get lost even if you die 145263537 times.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They should have put some sort of "Bank" in the PC. Like something where you can deposit money on, and it won't ever get lost even if you die 145263537 times.

See: Gold/Silver

Koren

It's fixed by Gold/Silver, where you can rematch trainers for money right from the start, but yeah.
Thanks... I admit I've begun playing Pokemon with Gold (I don't know why I never bought RBY). It was a game project that most editors refused, and I don't think Nintendo gave the project a large team/a lot of money, so that may explain some bugs (and bad sprites, too)

Forgot about the weird way of G1, it can learn thunder and bubble beam but no cut :/. Well I've got nothing.
It wouldn't be until Ruby and Sapphire that Meowth's line got cut, a move about using claws to cut stuff...

Red and Blue had some weird movepools. All the random Pokemon that could learn surf was another example (Rhydon?). Lickitung didn't get lick until Gold and Silver, for example.

Top Bottom