• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Wh0 N0se

Could you create a new Twitch channel, host it and create a thread and people in thread ask to be mods, then make it so only mods can do the commands?

Someone tried hitbox but their chat sucks balls so wed have to use a different system but at that point, it becomes more complicated.

Hmmm, yeah their chat is mangled sometimes. Using another chat system is fine, some of the other streamers do. I"ll take a look into it and see how complicated it would be.

Would it be possible to us something like mIRC?

Mikey Jr.

You know why I love this?

50k people coming together to replay Pokemon in a way thats never been played before.

I mean, people are making fucking strategies on how to cut a tree. People are debating on whether its worth the risk to catch a pokemon. It really is awesome.

Thorakai

Why do a GAF only or mod only run? The fun in this is too see how far we can get with the collective chaos of 50,000 people typing commands with a delay. Trolls add an interesting dynamic to this.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

50k people coming together to replay Pokemon in a way thats never been played before.

I mean, people are making fucking strategies on how to cut a tree. People are debating on whether its worth the risk to catch a pokemon. It really is awesome.

Yeah, it really does feel unique and special. This first try will likely be the one and only I'll follow THIS closely. Its like our own small, first moon landing. :p

The Hermit

the meta- strategy is crazy

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Why do a GAF only or mod only run? The fun in this is too see how far we can get with the collective chaos of 50,000 people typing commands with a delay. Trolls add an interesting dynamic to this.

There are 2 groups of people here atm:

1. People who just want to watch the world burn and have 50k people try to coordinate, win and fail hilariously, viewing this whole thing as a unique social experiment.

2. People who actually would like to play in this system with others on a more personal level.

I am a watcher, but I understand how the other group might have more fun with their own, less chaotic and more personal playthrough.

Toma

Pidgeot doesn't get defeated, he just decides to not win for once.

...God I'm back to Chuck Norris joke :(

Pidgeot is telling Chuck Norris jokes, but Chuck Norris wouldnt dare to say jokes about Pidgeot.

wmlk

Anyone want to recap what happened in the past 4 hours? Did we beat Erika? Catch Eevee? Go through the Rocket Hideout?

I heard Chuck Norris tried to press B while Pidgeotto was evolving, but it used Sand Attack, so he missed.
goose-laughing.gif

One of the streamers/LPers I watch usually hosts their streams on hitbox or instagib and just uses the twitch chat for input/voting.

Yeah, that could work too. Hotlink the popout twtich.tv chat in hitbox.tv description. When you click on it you just get a popup window with another chat that we could use.

I don't know how twitch.tv would feel about that, but I think it would work, and at the very least, worth trying.

That's almost how it works anyway; The more "left" inputs that there are, the more chance that'll be the "active" command when the emulator looks for the next command. The main difference is that this does allow for the possibility that a non-average input will be entered.

There's actually a proposed electoral system kinda similar to this, where each constituency votes and then a random vote is pulled out of the box of votes. Obviously the more votes one candidate gets, the more chance that their vote will be pulled out. This means that you get most of the benefits of FPTP, but also - across the country - you should end up with a roughly proportional system, with even minor parties statistically likely to get roughly the same percentage of seats as they do votes. It's amazing but obviously would never be implemented anywhere.

Yeah I was thinking the same ting as I was typing it out, thought I'd like to see it done just for the sake of seeing the results and comparing how effective the chat is at getting through the game via calculated average vs the random pull average. My gut feeling is that is that the game could be played "better" by calculated average since I can't really see the users trying to subvert the stream outweighing those that are actively trying to play it but obviously I could be completely wrong.

Yeah I was thinking the same ting as I was typing it out, thought I'd like to see it done just for the sake of seeing the results and comparing how effective the chat is at getting through the game via calculated average vs the random pull average. My gut feeling is that is that the game could be player "better" by calculated average since I can't really see the users trying to subvert the stream outweighing those that are actively trying to play it but obviously I could be completely wrong.
It's still going to play pretty silly, though, because of the lag.

Cess007

It seems that people is getting kinda tired. The stream has dropped to 47K from the 55K it was a while ago...

... but yeah, there's still 47K monkeys trying to cut a tree and failing :p

Saya Brea

Banned
Thread title needs an update. 47 thousand monkeys is significantly more.

I honestly can't believe that they managed to evolve anything with everyone typing b.

It seems that people is getting kinda tired. The stream has dropped to 47K from the 55K it was a while ago...

... but yeah, there's still 47K monkeys trying to cut a tree and failing :p

it was at around 45k before the gym and then 55k in the gym, once they get back in it will shoot back up.

Top Bottom