• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't think he went into creating this with the intention of it being a big accomplishment or to validly prove something, he did it for the entertainment factor and just as a fun experiment. But yeah, I kinda would've liked to see what would happen if he just started it up and did absolutely nothing, except for maybe adjusting Safari Zone steps (which would be impossible to get through). I also don't really get the point of using a romhack to have all 151 pokemon on the same cart.

Yeah sure, as I said earlier. Some people are just dicking around with the concept, but I think the hands off (or massively hands on) approach is the most interesting for the RNG stream and the 50k stream.

By having clear rules that these streams follow, they also end up more rewarding. Nobody knows in the RNG stream whether the creator might not step in to overcome certain areas or to adjust the RNG, which just is a bit... anticlimactic.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It seems a lot of people are losing faith. Quite a bit of frustration in the chat, haha

People losing faith and the numbers shrinking is its own form of progress :p

The more desperate the masses are, the more likely it is a smart strategy and new thinking will form!

87c.gif

Darryl

Banned
Honestly not sure why people are so surprised. I would have thought we'd reach 100k by next week.

well personally i would've thought being stuck at a ledge for like 24(???) hours would've turned some people off. instead it was just converted into viewership fuel.

Stoze

Yeah sure, as I said earlier. Some people are just dicking around with the concept, but I think the hands off (or massively hands on) approach is the most interesting for the RNG stream and the 50k stream.

By having clear rules that these streams follow, they also end up more rewarding. Nobody knows in the RNG stream whether the creator might not step in to overcome certain areas or to adjust the RNG, which just is a bit... anticlimactic.

Yeah I agree with that, he needs to lay down the rules or be more consistent with his interference. I think it would be a cool idea if he cleared chat a few times and then posted a strawpoll or something that everyone could vote yes or no on to see if people wanted inference at certain points. That way the idea that the chat is still in control is maintained.

I'm starting to wonder why there are so many trees to cut in this game. Trees aren't a puzzle, and they don't change, you just use cut. There really should only be 1 tree in the entire game so the developers can force the player to do certain things before progressing. Trees hours later make no sense.

I'm starting to wonder why there are so many trees to cut in this game. Trees aren't a puzzle, and they don't change, you just use cut. There really should only be 1 tree in the entire game so the developers can force the player to do certain things before progressing. Trees hours later make no sense.

It's not a linear world

Classic video game trope (warning: TVTropes link) that is mostly a holdover from an earlier time. Which is why nowadays Pokemon games don't do it, haha.

Has anyone made a plan for the Safari Zone? I'm pretty sure that's the one thing where even luck can't save us.

Give it a few tries completely untouched and pray to RNGESUS, although I think it's almost 100% impossible considering even a few 'twitches' of the character the wrong way can completely fuck you over with the step counter. After a few failed attempts I'm still of the mindset the owner should step in and remove the step counter which gives the stream unlimited movements to try to accomplish the goal, but lets them still try to accomplish it on their own.

I'm rathetr curious -- how much money could/is this stream making with all those viewers?

He's not running any ads, so I don't think it's getting any revenue from that. Guess he is, I've only seen the main, joining channel ads which are directly from Twitch. The profit from running ads isn't significant I've heard, although I'm sure it's something when you have 50k+ viewers. The sub button is the best bet for revenue, although there's not much incentive in it yet I'm guessing they'll get emotes in no time though, so more people could sub. If ~1% of the ~50k people watching subscribed (dunno if that's a reasonable estimate or not) the streamer could make a one-time (monthly) amount of 500*2.50 = $1250.

pompidu

think of the HM's as colored key cards in Doom, same concept

He's not running any ads, so I don't think it's getting any revenue from that. The sub button is the best bet for revenue, although there's not much incentive in it yet I'm guessing they'll get emotes in no time though, so more people could sub. If ~1% of the ~50k people watching subscribed (dunno if that's a reasonable estimate or not) the streamer could make a one-time (monthly) amount of 500*2.50 = $1250.

Not running ads, eh?

He's not running any ads, so I don't think it's getting any revenue from that. The sub button is the best bet for revenue, although there's not much incentive in it yet I'm guessing they'll get emotes in no time though, so more people could sub. If ~1% of the ~50k people watching subscribed (dunno if that's a reasonable estimate or not) the streamer could make a one-time (monthly) amount of 500*2.50 = $1250.
Ads are running.

I'm genuinely both concerned and excited at the thought of how much time I can see myself investing in this until it's completion/people give up. Not as a participant (I can't even view/join the chat on my iPad, which is what I use to browse the net), but simply as an observer.

I've spent the vast majority of today drinking all of this in. This whole thing is a fantastic social experiment, and all the memes, pictures, and jokes to come from it have been amazing. I can see this lasting a LONG time, yet I think I'm enjoying myself too much to do something else with my free time.

Sadly, I should call it a night here and get some sleep. I'm betting Erica will have been beaten by the time I wake up.

Toma

I'm genuinely both concerned and excited at the thought of how much time I can see myself investing in this until it's completion/people give up. Not as a participant (I can't even view/join the chat on my iPad, which is what I use to browse the net), but simply as an observer.

I've spent the vast majority of today drinking all of this in. This whole thing is a fantastic social experiment, and all the memes, pictures, and jokes to come from it have been amazing. I can see this lasting a LONG time, yet I think I'm enjoying myself too much to tear myself away.

Same, good thing I can carry the iPad around the house, but I am wasting way too much time on this :p

But as I said, its sort of our own small gaming moon landing. We will never experience this type of thing for the "first" time and its just incredibly interesting to see how this develops and whether humanity can overcome its boundaries.

Visceir

I've spent the vast majority of today drinking all of this in. This whole thing is a fantastic social experiment, and all the memes, pictures, and jokes to come from it have been amazing. I can see this lasting a LONG time, yet I think I'm enjoying myself too much to tear myself away.

Just think about all the pokemon games left to play after they finish this one! #teamsilver

Same, good thing I can carry the iPad around the house, but I am wasting way too much time on this :p

But as I said, its sort of our own gaming moon landing. We will never experience this type of thing for the "first" time and its just incredibly interesting how this develops.

I actually have the Twitch stream run on my iPad, and I post here/browse for gifs and such on my iPhone. It's scary how hooked I am on all of this.

TheOGB

Banned
If you can drag us over there be my guest, I tried in vermilion to go to diglet cave so we could have a diglet that went nowhere. That wasn't with this many people though.
I understand why GF did it, but I always found it funny that there was Diglett Cave/Sandshrew outside Vermilion and Vulpix/Growlithe outside Celadon (and Houndour in GS)

Top Bottom