• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Just imagine if this was Japanese green. The game would be broken by now, or select would be pressed a lot more to break it (you can switch Pokemon using select, IIRC doing this in battle and then using items causes strange things to happen).

How is this legal? Someone making a stream using an emulator and rom and the person and twitch are cashing in.

Won't Nintendo notice this eventually and shut this down?
How is it illegal exactly? Tonnes of people stream emulated games. This is not distributing the rom and only one copy is being played.

mclem

How is this legal? Someone making a stream using an emulator and rom and the person and twitch are cashing in.

Won't Nintendo notice this eventually and shut this down?

I've been theorising - and I stress it's just a theory, and I'm no lawyer - that the action of adding in multiple players fighting over the controller legitimises it enough to be regarded as a transformative work and therefore falls under a fair use defense.

From Nintendo's POV: It's advertising. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small (very small!) uptick in Pokemon sales. And because it's Gen 1 Red, it's not really affecting their ability to sell current and relevant products.

If they were to release Gen 1 on VC (which I suspect they wouldn't for persistence reasons), I daresay it'd get some sales just from people who want to experience the game without the other 49,999 getting in the way :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Seriously, I'm surprised we haven't ran into a game breaking bug (or a simple glitch/bug at all) yet with all these open/close start, move like a drunk, use items where you're not supposed to.
Pokemon r/b is version 2.0, most of the performance bugs were ironed out.

SuperSah

Banned
The crazy thing is that it created an entire community, with its own words, codes, factions and all.

It's incredible stuff.

0ndYCF1.png

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
He is fine, but they almost released him a couple of times now.

I can't believe it came that close so many times. If he gets released, the chat would have to figure out a way to raise a new Pokemon fast, or else we'll be stuck for weeks. Imagine if all of the team gets released on Cinnabar Island.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I can't believe it came that close so many times. If he gets released, the chat would have to figure out a way to raise a new Pokemon fast, or else we'll be stuck for weeks. Imagine if all of the team gets released on Cinnabar Island.

They need to level up that Drowzee. Priority n°1.

emb

Is there a catchable Fly/Surf pokemon in the Mansion, or a fishing rod on the island some place? Seems like a very real possibility of getting entirely stuck in this game, since they let you release HM slaves.

Toxi

Banned
They need to level up that Drowzee. Priority n°1.
Drowzee and Flareon. Ember gives us another anti-Ghost move.

(We should also grab the Psychic TM in Saffron before going to Pokemon Tower; if we're lucky enough to use it instead of tossing it, we can teach Drowzee a much stronger anti-Ghost move and hopefully replace one of its non-Confusion moves)

Maybe Oddish, but its movepool ain't that great and its typing isn't that great either. :(

...Did Ratata really get named Jay Leno?

Also, is it whoever submits the button command quickest? Thought the system worked democratically somehow.

Top Bottom