• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The current regression is pathetic. I'm starting to lose hope.

The stream's popularity is contingent on progressing past this maze. Now that the novelty of collectively controlling a game through Twitch chat has dissipated, the popularity of the stream is reliant on things "happening" - something getting deposited, a close win in a battle, catching a new Pokemon, etc.

With the severity of the delay, someone will have to press "left" approximately 100 seconds before Red is in the proper position in the maze. And there are a few additional turns to maneuver if they even get past that turn.

It's almost like watching RNG at this point.

If they can beat the ledge, they can beat this.

c58.png

Outdated image, so much sadder in hindsight.

This was just so funny at the time and now it makes me incredibly sad.

Azuran

Banned
At this point in time, they should go buy some dolls and take their chances on the Tower. This is going nowhere and it's not as exciting as the ledges.

Cess007

So... i take we're still stuck at Team Rocket HQ, uh? Haven't been following the stream today. How much until they reach Giovanni?

darksagus

We will either get through the maze through attrition and RNG or the viewer numbers will have to drop off enough so that people can actually input with some accuracy. Hopefully some progress will be made overnight when the stream numbers die down some.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To try and explain this better, look at this image:

That area I circled in the blue/grey is where you wind up a lot on the third floor once you're in the maze, because it is the end point of every failed attempt.

When people watching see him there, a ton of right inputs come in to start moving him out of here, and those inputs are stretched over probably 20+ seconds due to discrepancies in delay between individuals. This doesn't even slow down until most people see him start going that way. It's hundreds and hundreds of inputs. There are a lot of up commands here too, from people that don't want to go back down onto the spin tile.

By the time he hits the right wall and starts going up, people are only just starting to do left/down inputs to try and get him into the hallway right above there. But the right/up commands are going to come in for another 15-20 seconds, which is more than enough to often put us to the staircase. So the left/down inputs don't start registering his movement until we are on the above floor... and there left/down inputs easily send us into the wrong maze. The left inputs are really prevalent too because people desperately want to send him into the hallway, so over half of them are left. They just come in way later than you'd actually need to have hit left to even have a chance. The only times we've gotten in that hallway where with predictive random lefts while people were still mostly spamming right from below, and the rights continue long enough to counter those usually.

What dropping start into all of these movement commands does is waste a lot of those unnecessary commands that flood in, so long as the start commands are put in during the big movement pushes. Realistically you need him to be like one foot in that doorway with a menu open for 10-ish seconds before you have a solid chance of having the people doing inputs based on what they see to get him in the rest of the way.
Thanks for posting this, it clarified this mess for me. It's very complicated, and I had to read your post 2 times before I could fully understand the whole delayed input thing. So as long as people keep reacting to what happened 20 seconds in the past, there won't be any chance to make progress. They should be planning 20 seconds in advance instead.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I know what this is.

This is purgatory. This is punishment by the Helix to punish those who banished Abby and Leno.

Wallach

Thanks for posting this, it clarified this mess for me. It's very complicated, and I had to read your post 2 times before I could fully understand the whole delayed input thing. So as long as people keep reacting to what happened 20 seconds in the past, there won't be any chance to make progress. They should be planning 20 seconds in advance instead.

Since you can't reasonably expect to even get like 75% of the inputs working together, your best bet here is to use the simple guide in that image so that you can get as many inputs that are highest probability to be effective. So if you're above the maze itself, as many as possible should be slamming down. If you're in the maze area below that, as many as possible should be slamming left. The chaos of the rest of the inputs will actually be effective in this layout at handling the rest of the required other inputs.

The lag is what really makes collaboration impossible I think.

Also that comic is amazing knowing what happened to poor Charmeleon.

But I joined in late, so why exactly is everyone so obsessed with Helix fossil?

_hekk05

Banned
I don't get it...Can someone explain it to me?

The charmeleon is nicknamed abby. In the game, twitch users are controlling the trainer, so charmeleon is remarking on the oddities of his trainer, but he still loves him.

A few hours later, abby gets released into the wild.

ultron87

I wish there was some way to get stats on this thing. Like how many times we've tried this maze or how many times Helix has been consulted.

Abby was our starter. He's gone now.

They're about halfway done I think? They still have to: go through Sylph tower for lapras; defeat koga and sabrina;get surf and warden teeth in safari zone; get through seafoam islands; get though pokemon mansion; defeat blaine; get back to viridian; defeat giovanni; get through victory road; defeat elite four; defeat gary fucking oak.

RTUBPkg.png

Never forget.

whoa whoa whoa this may be a stupid question
never played pokemon
but do pokemon actually die?! or... im missing something

edit: doh shouldve read a few post above me

TheOGB

Banned
But I joined in late, so why exactly is everyone so obsessed with Helix fossil?
Laggy inputs keep making us select items we can't use in battles.

never played pokemon
Well, playing the game, no. They just faint from battle, or in our case, get released back into the wild. But they're basically dead to us, as we'll never see then again. ;_;

But story wise, we do eventually have to go to a funeral home. Pokemon only ever die off-screen.
Gary's Raticate

Azuran

Banned
never played pokemon

He didn't die. He just ascended to a higher place along with Jay Leno, and is currently hanging out with the gods.

He got released to the wild, which you do in Pokemon games to free up space by getting rid of Pokemon you don't need/want

has anybody put a random input generator to compete against this?

There's literally tens of thousands of people inputting commands every second.

If 1/10th of 1 percent (Just 80) people tell it to hit start, that's enough to fuck it all up. But people persevere.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I don't get why people think it is entertaining to spam START. Isn't it more interesting to try and get this to actually work? People are weird.

The stream lags ~15 seconds, if not 25.
Start is buffering.
Basically, everyone is inputting what's needed NOW, not what will be needed in 15-25 seconds.
If you manage to lose 25 seconds in the start menu, all the inputs for the previous situations will have gone through without moving Red, and new ones (for the right position) are queued up.

That's how we passed ledges.

kyo2004

There's a lot of merchandising about the Greatest Helix Fossil on redbubbles... But $35 (including ship) for a single shirt?... Come on!!.... You gotta be kidding me...:/

TechOne

What is this hideous amalgamation!?

Speed and deceit combined into one.

Based Flareon has taken control of my original avatar and has shown me the ways of our lord dome fossil.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Release Pidgeot ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Top Bottom