• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Just waking up; what exactly is he proposing to change?

Last night the streamer implemented a "democratic" system where people "voted" on an input (once every few seconds based on what had the most votes).

The new system was slow, bulky, and ruined the entire premise. So users found out that they could type start9 and it would press the start buttton 9 times if everyone voted on it.

So out of protest, people spammed start9 till democracy was removed. Now he put it to a vote (though the majority of people already have spoken on the subject).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I've heard people complain about the blue stream because a only select few have true control over progress and dissident voices get banned at the drop of a hat.

Kind of ironic if you consider what red and blue are traditionally associated with in U.S. politics.

Before 2000 red and blue weren't associated with a particular political party. In fact, more often than not Republicans were blue and Democrats Red! Pokemon's just following that 98 standard.

0xCA2

Has the (alleged) anarchy/democracy hoax worked? Have we seen some progress through the maze because of this distraction?

It seems like people are starting to care less about the poll now that they see it isn't moving. More and more people are putting in game inputs instead of voting. I'm scared that this was all for naught.

Gurrry

Pokemon worked for a very good reason, inputs are simple and not time based. Dark Souls is a terrible idea for a 'Twitch Plays', clearly just an attempt to ride the wave, or to have 4 minutes of laughs before realising that the game is woefully inappropriate for such a delayed and anarchic form of control.

I agree, any game that requires multiple button inputs at once/strict timing will never work.

I do hope we see more of these that gain as much popularity as this one did.

Twitchplayszelda would be amazing, but again, not sure it would work in this context.

Then he should have done it from the beginning. I've been here since day 1 and the changes being made are just frustrating.
I said he probably wanted to do it anyway, not that he must have had the idea for the change and wanted to do so since day 1.

Not that I think it should happen at any point in time.

It's already being played on a romhack that changes the game.Purity went out the window from the word go.

Purity of the rom perhaps, but purity of the mob control?

Do you think we'd have gotten a million memes if it was the democratic system he tried to implement? All of those ledge images/gifs wouldn't have existed.

Sure it would have been "neat", but the reason it blew up so big was BECAUSE it's chaotic and random with all of the inputs. The users aren't just participating in the game, they are participating in a much larger meta game filled with in-jokes, joy, fear, etc.

If we hadn't lost Abby and Jay Leno to random presses releasing them, we wouldn't have grown as a tiny sub-culture.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
This democracy/anarchy is all just a big distraction to make them type that stuff in while some brave heroes guide us through the place and actually beat it.

I wish.

I've heard people complain about the blue stream because a only select few have true control over progress and dissident voices get banned at the drop of a hat.

Kind of ironic if you consider what red and blue are traditionally associated with in U.S. politics.

I don't follow any stream closely but I think they only ban bots in the blue stream.
Just now there was this guy "To_the_left". He basically said down, down, down, non-stop every 3 seconds. I think he was banned.

Gurrry

Yeah the whole mob control and over coming the 70k people shouting commands in hopes of achieving a goal is what brings me to the stream. I dont watch for a democratic voting system that ensures we have less failure. That isnt what this is for IMO.

mclem

The plan for the Safari Zone was to remove the step counter from what I heard.

Unless something changed, all I heard from the creator was that he'd do something if necessary to allow for progress, without specific detail as to what that 'something' would be. There were lots of suggestions, and some of those got bandied around as What He Would Do, but I don't think the creator actually ever specified anything.

I don't follow any stream closely but I think they only ban bots in the blue stream.
Just now there was this guy "To_the_left". He basically said down, down, down, non-stop every 3 seconds. I think he was banned.
They ban trolls, too, but that includes people they perceive as trolls. So in the end you might think you have true freedom of expression but in reality it's only what the mods allow you to have.

Cyrano

They could beat Streets of Rage 2 if they were given infinite lives.

I mean, that's kind of why this is a success, because there's no penalty, no returning to a start screen or whatever, for dying. Just jumping backwards to a Pokemon Center, to begin the amazing futility all over again.

Garcia

No. The systems changing to try and adapt to the trolls and number of people is an experiment.

It is a gaming experiment, not a sociological one. It's just a videogame people, just have some fun.

I won't deny it is entertaining to watch the change of direction but in the end it's just a big time waster (a videogame, after all).

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder now how far they could get in Fire Emblem. They'd probably have to play one of those where permadeath can be turned off, though.

Unless it's a rom hack not going to happen since Awakening is the only one with it I think. Now Shining Force is something I can get behind and might actually be possible.

I'd also like to see Earthbound or Golden Sun. Someone get on those.

They're voting for anarchy?

I thought the closer the bar was to a name, that was the most voted for.

This. It's a pull system, not a push system. Watch the inputs, you'll see a ton more democracy than anarchy... and if it goes that route, RIP any more cool gifs/memes/fun.

Mit-

Better stay anarchy. This place is no worse than the ledge and while it took a long time, the ledge was overcome.

If the ledge can be defeated we can do anything. Even ledge part 2.

0xCA2

This. It's a pull system, not a push system. Watch the inputs, you'll see a ton more democracy than anarchy... and if it goes that route, RIP any more cool gifs/memes/fun.

Wait what?

So democracy is about to win? I thought that line was for anarchy to win!

I bet democracy winning was fixed by trolls.

Wait what?

So democracy is about to win? I thought that line was for anarchy to win!

I bet democracy winning was fixed by trolls.

Yep... and it will be horrible. The death of fun.

(edit) Death of fun completed.... See you guys in a few hours when people realize how dumb this system is and switches back.

Top Bottom