• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

people are too busy trying to accomplish something with the democratic system in place that anarchy is going to take over again because they aren't voting.. this is amazing

Me and many others lost our fucking minds in Cerulean Hell, Ledge and the Dark Cave for this shit? Wow. We lost Abby and Jay but it was still cool because it was totally unexpected, like the rest of the run. Doing tasks succesfully was so EPIC.

I do agree with this - but the funny thing is that there's probably a roughly equal amount of progress with this system. One voted-for move versus 50-100odd random moving in circles or pressing start. But it's still not as fun to watch, obviously.

True, but look what's happening - progress. They're in the correct maze for the first time in hours, and the bots that randomly inputted commands are losing to people who genuinely want to make progress.

Now we can start debating about how this is a good use of anyone's time.

Because it's just like the capitalist system: offer and supply. If prices are too high, people will stop buying. Then once demand falls, prices will have to fall too so the excess of supply can be sold.

It's the same principle here. Many viewers are gone because there hasn't been any progress in over 10 hours, and the reason for that was the excessive amount of viewers. If they go down enough, then we'll reach a point where progress can start being made again, and that will bring in more viewers.

So buy low and sell high. That's the tip to winning TPP. The Helix has spoken.

:lol I get what you're saying, but to make progress in this particular section we need the price to go WAY low, like sub 1k.

Wow what a bummer, there is no doubt they would have eventually gotten past this. This reminds me of the theory that a room full of monkeys hitting their keyboard will eventually type out a play from Shakespeare.

Me and many others lost our fucking minds in Cerulean Hell, Ledge and the Dark Cave for this shit? Wow. We lost Abby and Jay but it was still cool because it was totally unexpected, like the rest of the run. Doing tasks succesfully was so EPIC.

This... I agree 100%.

I do see some value in this, but it's just too easy for some people to get "lazy" and prefer the slow but steady progress of democracy versus the chaos that brings out the best in everyone watching.

Wiz

That's why there is such a long vote time, it's useful to counteract that.

I do understand the point of this new updated system and there is value in that it COULD actually work when stuck on precision points...

The problem is that it defeats a large part of the feel of the initial experiment IMO.

Okay, didn't know it took so long until the move was accepted. Looks like it's working.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
My guess is we'll get halfway though the puzzle with democracy, then switch to anarchy and be back at the start :D

The lag is probably making democracy even more impossible than a random result with anarchy might be.

0xCA2

lol, this democracy system is so slow that it almost makes this entire thing seem like a political statement about the value of anarchy

fake edit: I thought he took the multiplier out? what's going on?

Mistel

Banned
well.gif

Anarchy in this scenario will always over come democracy there are too many variables than unaccounted for.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Its just a slower anarchic progress with less start pressing but way more seconds needed for each move. They still cant judge timing properly with the lag.

Anarchy back please.

Grizzo

How long has it been since the vote system was implemented? I can't believe we've been stuck here for the past 12 hours or so...

n8

Unconfirmed Member
While I wasn't playing, this was a new fresh way to play Pokemon.

What's the point of this when I can play the game myself?

We developed elaborate strategies just to move around.

What a waste.

Grizzo

I'm a bit surprise that out of 64000+ viwers, only about 500 are actually playing :/

But that's probably for the best

I think ther's more than 500 people playing. What are all these people typing "anarchy" or "democracy"? I though we were typing directions inputs for now?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There was never any purity in the experiment with all the bots.

Then again destruction of the experiment is exactly what certain parties wanted all along.

Toma

Why does he cut the vote time down to 2/3
Seconds instead of 10, takes so long to make one move

Technically, the higher the vote time is, the more likely it is the players can coordinate their moves. If you basically made a vote for 1000 seconds for each move, you'd be guaranteed making the best move for each step.

Feorax

If I were the person running the stream, I'd probably do 2 things to make this interesting.

1. Switch back to anarchy.

2. Issue a warning that unless Giovanni is beaten in the next 6 hours, it will be assumed that the experiment has failed and will restart from the beginning a la the stanley parable.

It all becomes a bit pointless after a while IMO when nothing is happening and there is no real incentive not to fail.

CassSept

Or are you just seeing what you want to see? The viewers bombed before that point. Never before has it taken so long for progress to be made, and people might have just lost interest. The streamer tried to fix it so there would be progress and thus more interest again, people didn't like it, so he changed it again. I don't know why he's being portrayed as some kind of villain.

Of course viewers bombed, did you expect them to rise while Europe was working/in school and US was asleep? They're rising again, afternoon is approaching in Europe, at current pace they might reach 100k in a couple of hours.

If I were the person running the stream, I'd probably do 2 things to make this interesting.

2. Issue a warning that unless Giovanni is beaten in the next 6 hours, it will be assumed that the experiment has failed and will restart from the beginning a la the stanley parable.

It all becomes a bit pointless after a while IMO when nothing is happening and there is no real incentive not to fail.

Then the game will reset.
The trolls will make sure of that.

Toma

2nd idea is horrible. Just let life find a way.

I don't really like watching streams that much, just the ESL and I don't think I ever commented. But this is different. I've been here since day one and today's been the first time that I got that response from the server.

same here, it just started about 20 minutes ago for me.

harmonize

This shit is taking political and psychological turns now? Damn lol.
Wad-of-cash-008.jpg

Here PokeGAF, just slip this into your pocket. Bribe? Think of it more as a gift from a good pal, go buy something nice for yourself :)

Now, you wouldn't be considering to vote for anything other than left in the next Twitchplay election, would you? Yes? Well that's a shame, I'd hate to lose a friend like you, but I'm sure I can find another.

Top Bottom