• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Merino

I just looked at it. It was funny for a few seconds, but then I realised that it's 1000 people spamming commands and it's never going to get anywhere. Surely it was better when there were less people involved, but it's going to have to calm down before anything happens.

Watching Red stand before a tree constantly trying to use a Helix fossil and a ticket, it made me wonder how many decades this would take to finish.
Gym 3 was done with 15k viewers

RedShift

Will Rock Tunnel really be possible without flash?

I actually can't imagine making it work either way. It'll take hours to get 10 pokemon, get flash HM and then hours more to activate flash (and probably have some monkey press down to walk out of the cave and having to start all over).

But who knows how long it will take to get through rock tunnel in the dark with random inputs...hours?...days?...weeks?...months??

As a kid I didn't know about flash. I made it through just by randomly walking in various directions, which is pretty much what chat does anyway.

I think the biggest priority should be getting rid of all the attacks that don't do damage.

That and getting rid of all items would speed everything up, but that's not happening.

Dark cave is annoying without flash, but you can see the edges of the walls clearly, so it's doable. I did it within 30 minutes when I was a kid without Flash, but I ran from random battles and they wont :p

upandaway

I just looked at it. It was funny for a few seconds, but then I realised that it's 1000 people spamming commands and it's never going to get anywhere. Surely it was better when there were less people involved, but it's going to have to calm down before anything happens.

Watching Red stand before a tree constantly trying to use a Helix fossil and a ticket, it made me wonder how many decades this would take to finish.
The more people the better. It's not about progressing, it's about having fun with people in (decidedly not machine random) utter madness. The chat is the best thing about this.

Soodanim

Gym 3 was done with 15k viewers

I don't understand how that was possible outside of luck.

I think I'm just far too impatient to watch it. I'm infuriated by the constant attempted use of items, seeing as doing something that results in a multi-line message from Oak annoys me when I do it once by accident myself. 10 times in a row makes me suicidal.

People seem to enjoy the clusterfuck of inputs, but I think it would be improved if there was something like every 10 requests for an input resulting in an actual button press.

I think I'm just far too impatient to watch it. I'm infuriated by the constant attempted use of items, seeing as doing something that results in a multi-line message from Oak annoys me when I do it once by accident myself. 10 times in a row makes me suicidal.

People seem to enjoy the clusterfuck of inputs, but I think it would be improved if there was something like every 10 requests for an input resulting in an actual button press.
Sure some luck but most participants are really trying to get along in the game for real.
Only a small % are trolls / bots.

Cirruss

Nah what makes the stream fun is seeing them fail 100 times and then finally pulling it together and actually getting the job done. It makes the simplest tasks such as simply walking through a door feel like an immense victory.

Would you actually want to watch that either, though? That'd just be the inverse of a speed-run, with a bunch of people that know how to play the game, playing the game very slowly. This is amazing precisely because, in spite of the incredibly laggy inputs from thousands of people, the weight of averages has managed to get them 3 gym badges in a few days.

Amppelix

Neo Member
we got cut, taught it to Dux, and used it to enter the Gym. All in the span of 6 hours. Things happen, but they happen slowly.

3 Gym leaders down, several trees cut (not to mention somehow teaching a pokemon cut to begin with!) I think you aren't giving 15k people enough credit.

Zabant

Prof Oak 19:24:
Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a Pokemon trainer with fifteen-thousand conflicting voices in his head to CUT down a tree.

Bill 3:16:
For Arceus so loved the world that he tossed his one and only Moonstone, that whoever believes in it shall not perish but become a master.

Surge 18:9:
One night the old Oak spoke to Red in a vision: “This isn't the time to use that!"

Tourmeta

What did they change with the start inputs? They're greyed out?

Start button throttle

Spammers pushed this button too much and now it doesn't work all the time. Sometimes it pops back in and works perfectly for awhile.
I dislike this compromise but unsuppressed start spam was annoying and didn't really have any effect on travel gameplay (no position changes).

There's some info under stream now.

upandaway

That's practically what it is. The more a button is requested, the higher the chance for it to be chosen (since the game only listens to input when it's free to do so). I don't see any difference between 3 thousand and 15 thousand people. Really anything above 100.

Top Bottom