• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon Emerald: Right A Down, Right A Down

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
So as someone who didn't really watch much of the Crystal run, how exactly did we get Pokemon to typically evolve? Was it mostly through pure luck or abusing Democracy mode?

Unlucky

Wrong, gen 3 you didn't need an extra pokeball

You do need an extra pokéball, and a free space in your party, to get Shedinja when Nincada evolves to Ninjask. Yes, even in Gen III. Bulbapedia says otherwise but they are in error.

From the Sapphire Pokédex:
"It seems to appear unsought in a POKé BALL after a NINCADA evolves."
From FR/LG Pokédex (games came out during Gen III):
"A most peculiar POKéMON that somehow appears in a POKé BALL when a NINCADA evolves"

Also, I have the Prima Strategy Guide, that I bought the day Emerald came out (before Gen IV even existed), and it also states there must be a spare pokéball to obtain Shedinja.

You do need an extra pokéball, and a free space in your party, to get Shedinja when Nincada evolves to Ninjask. Yes, even in Gen III. Bulbapedia says otherwise but they are in error.

"A most peculiar POKéMON that somehow appears in a POKé BALL when a NINCADA evolves"

Also, I have the Prima Strategy Guide, that I bought the day Emerald came out (before Gen IV even existed), and it also states there must be a spare pokéball to obtain Shedinja.

lol using the pokedex and prima

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving the lore behind Emerald, but boy is this a slog. Only 17k people? Step it up, guys.

Saikyo

I think it says "appears in a Poke Ball" just to not have questions like "ok, now I have two pokemons but why I have it without having catched it?Doesnt it need to be in a pokeball?" because its is already in one.

RedShift

The jokes about 'CATCH THE SHINY' whenever a Cascoon shows up remind me of this
2gLtorQ.png

Yeah, someone should actually play the game and test this out
Bulbapedia is hardly ever wrong

Going with Serebii.net Gen 3 doesn't require a pokeball. And they separate all pokedexs by generation.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/292.shtml (Gen 3)
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/292.shtml (Gen 4)
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/292.shtml (Gen 5)
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/292.shtml (Gen 6)

And reading from other sites on the net, in Gen 3 Shedinja comes with his own pokeball, other gens you need an actual pokeball in the inventory (not great ball, etc)

Unlucky

Yeah, someone should actually play the game and test this out
Bulbapedia is hardly ever wrong
Ok, I did just try it out on my cart of Emerald, and Bulbapedia is correct, you do not need a pokéball (I can admit when I am wrong). Apparently the game "clones" whatever ball you caught Nincada in, to be the home for your Shedinja. I caught a Nincada with a Master Ball lol (reset afterwards), and after evolution, during which I had no pokéballs of any kind, both my newly-evolved Ninjask and Shedninja were in Master Balls.

So basically as long as we got space (which WILL happen given how we have no pokeballs) we're going to get a freebie pokemon if Nincada can ever evolve.

PBalfredo

I hope we do get a Shedinja. It could be completely clutch in some situations, and comically inept in others. Either way, it will be entertaining. A Ninjask is a pretty good pokemon to have too. It's just too bad our Nincada, while a ground type, doesn't actually learn any ground attacks until level 31, and that's only if he doesn't evolve. A ground attack would be super effective against Geodude.

Toxi

Banned
I hope we do get a Shedinja. It could be completely clutch in some situations, and comically inept in others. Either way, it will be entertaining. A Ninjask is a pretty good pokemon to have too. It's just too bad our Nincada, while a ground type, doesn't actually learn any ground attacks until level 31, and that's only if he doesn't evolve. A ground attack would be super effective against Geodude.
Just being able to attrition out against Roxanne's team should be enough.

Poochyena is our best bet.

Crayolan

I like how as soon as we challenged Roxanne the first thing we do is repeatedly try to run away. At least that healed Nincada for us.

Garjon

It's a shame Nincada doesn't have a nickname. Is Ninjask good in battle?

It's Speed stat is ludicrous, especially since it increases with ever turn. However it doesn't really have any moves to make this worthwhile, plus it's dreaded Bug/Flying type combo. It has terrible defensive stats too.

Top Bottom