• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Fires Its New Head of VR After Two Days When "Homeless Rant" resurfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
This rubs me the wrong way given the length of time passed and there was at least some sort of attempt to better himself on the subject.

Especially in comparison to Facebook/Occulus' deafening silence and refusal to even acknowledge the far more recent and far shittier Luckey stuff. Different companies and all that but it feels like these punishments should be switched.

Weird both were concerning VR though.

Something about this whole thing rubs me the wrong way.

I wonder, do you think Twitter gave him a chance to apologize? If they did, and he refused, I have no problem with him being fired.

If he wasn't given the option... I don't know, it feels wrong. It was a bad thing to say, but we've all written angry rants about something or other. Maybe not as bad as that one but the point stands. And to be honest, his rant was fairly benign compared to some stuff that's been said on the debate stage... or even what's been said by a certain other Virtual Reality pioneer.

Not to that extent. If you looked up my internet history, you would see some things you would consider offensive as well. But I will make you the bet now that I've always avoided -or at least tried- to use language of dehumanization right to the point of comparing people to vermin that should be purged.

This is vile on a different level. It's unapologetically fascist without any kind of self-reflection about why that is wrong. It's how a psychopath talks about people.
Also, mental habits, best detected in direct spoken and written language, are very long-term and predictable. Firing this man on the spot for this type of rant made in 2013 for a very public office is in fact the proper thing to do. Nobody worth a damn would respect him, his work, or the company employing him.
It's bizarre to me personally that we still need to 'debate' this on neogaf sometimes, when Microsoft has already booted out at least three people, of which two were division VP's (Bell and 'always online' guy), for that accept same transgression on basic HR-sanctioned norms. This is not rocket science, and if you want to play at being a professional, it's in the damn contract.

Slayven

What an odd rant, dude talked like he was an ancient Babylonian king.

And VR twitter sounds like the worse thing ever.

foodshipnine

Neo Member
We need to stop acting like all homeless are victims and that we need to tiptoe around how to deal with them. There's zero reason they need to live in the middle of a city.. but a lot of them do it because it's easier to panhandle and easier to score drugs. Not all, but a lot of them.

tbf there's zero reason wealthy people need to own property in the middle of a city

Twitter should have done its homework.

They are not to be applauded for hiring someone whose history was readily visible & then firing him when things got hot.

Then again, there might be more to this story than we are being told. If there is, I'll revisit my opinion.

I think that this is a just a statement to the hypervisual sensitive internet culture that is currently in form.

It makes me ask how long do public sins last? It always depends on the severity of the issue, but all of us have done dumb shit in the past before....

In this day and age where every thing documented, recorded or logged, what do you have to do or how long do you have to wait to atone for your mistakes and just move on with your life?

It seems like things are permanent and will always have a lasting effect in this day and age. The internet is scathing to images, Every thing you post is liable for defamation. Its insane how potentially volatile that is.

balohna

He'll probably get a job somewhere, meanwhile the homeless are still homeless. I don't feel bad for him, but I can sympathize to some degree with having a dumb statement haunt you.

That said, "Thanks Tech crunch" proves he either didn't really learn anything or is fantastic at putting his foot in his mouth.

If he was really out there doing volunteer work and openly talking about what he said having been a mistake then maybe he did change?

That shows you just how badly he fucked up. He's doing well to right his wrongs, and his reputation is still tarnished albeit much less so. He'll have to keep working and really make a difference. What he said isn't free.

An inability to take responsibility for your actions is a great way to let everyone know that you're not ready for adulthood.

What's the endgame here?

If taking responsibility for your actions means people with awful opinions like him can't have any job... should he buy a gun and kill himself?
edit: and that's not entering on the problem of who is the judge of what are 'awful opinions'.

sephi22

Oh... ooooh... Welp.
Okay, I guess I'm going to have to do this. Strap in boys, this is a long one.

I looked up his original rant and it was a post on his Facebook. Now, I don't know if it was a private post that was leaked to a reporter, or a public status update. If it was the latter, then it's his own fault. I'm not defending what he said. What he said was heinous, crass, and ignorant, and he clearly paid dearly for it. He was justifiably fired, and perhaps unjustifiably became the most hated man on the internet, at least for a little while. People get fired from employers for saying racist/ignorant stuff on Facebook, so this is nothing unusual, but I think the amount of hate/death threats he got from the internet is a disproportionate level of hate, but whatever. What I'm saying is if his private post was made to go viral for drama, I find that a bit ethically wrong. Not nearly Hogan vs. Gawker bad, but in the same category.

The TechCrunch article mentions, like the people in this thread have, his apologies and attempts to atone for what he said. It seems he tried to give some benefits to homeless people, but he did it in a clumsy, goofy way. At this point I can only give him the benefit of the doubt. Some people are wired differently, and are incapable of feeling empathy, so I believe at least his attempts to understand the problem are sincere. Some have mental issues or personality defects. Even if his apologies are hollow, and his motivations insincere, if he's made the life of a 100 homeless people even 1% better, he's done more than most of us, and more than made up for the harm his original post did. The person who was harmed the most from that rant was himself.

The TechCrunch article reads like his help to the homeless are nothing but publicity stunts, because he tries to publicize his projects and @ reporters on tweets. Well, do you blame him? His post was out for the world to see and he was target of hate for the internet, wouldn't you want to let the world know you're trying to better yourself? Furthermore, the author says the reason for the article is perhaps twitter HR fucked up and didn't do due diligence in the hiring process and hired a troll. Really? You think fucking Twitter doesn't look up shit on the internet before hiring people? I believe they knew who they were hiring, and were aware of his rant, and his apologies, and his actions since. I believe they didn't think this would cause controversy in 2016, and the internet had forgotten. And perhaps they were right until this article had to remind the internet.

So yeah, fuck Twitter a little bit for not having the balls to keep this guy employed. He perhaps had the talent and skill that they were looking for, but is now gone for stupid shit. But I don't really blame them completely, cause I wouldn't want bad PR if I were them either. But fuck TechCrunch for stirring up drama for no reason. How long is enough and how much punishment is enough? Are they going to keep writing hit pieces each time a new employer hires him? Are they going to @McDonalds in 6 years when this guy gets hired as a fry cook? Does this man need to apologize and get the internet to affirm his beliefs each time he gets a new job? Don't be ridiculous.

Of course, there is a chance that the alleged charge of stealing money from his old employer is true, and Twitter didn't know, and they fired him in light of this new information. In that case, ignore everything I said.

Hello, Gopman (????)
Suh Dude?

Whether this guy owned up and attempted to attone for his rant or not (he didn't, FYI) is irrelevant. No one owes him a job. Private citizens aren't the court of law and shouldn't have to be concerned about whether he already faced some consequences of his rant.

Twitter was completely justified in not wanting be to associated with him. At most, their hiring department probably could have googled his name a bit more thoroughly.

They gather like hyenas? Given the whimsical contempt he had when he wrote this, he's sounds like the guy who would be laughing like a hyena at those suffering from homelessness. Despicable.

TissueBox

It was a rant and that's what sucks. Some people are in terms of contemporary society terrible people but have a great public reputation and are great at what they do and we love them for that but not whatever it is we're not seeing because (and but at least) they had a better chance by keeping such details private. Some people have opinions that to some are trash but otherwise don't make them as much of a horrible person as someone, for example, who knows their opinions have influence and power and spouts them carelessly anyhow. In '13 this guy was probably being a jerk but who knows if he was all jerk, still a jerk, full jerk day in and out, etc., as this was his way of just venting something he may have been overtly flustered about, but because its being public has reaped consequences. It's probably deserved, but in the same time a moral of the times: the internet never forgets, and whether you're half-jerk, 1/3rd-jerk, or full-on douchey-douche anywhere from a day to a month, it can define your future if you're not careful. (Or Donald John Trump.)

THAT SAID this doesn't make this any less sensible and/or necessary as a moral and PR decision. Twitter has to stand for 'something' and it's not for sh*tting on the lower-class and impoverished, lol, no matter the context. So yeah keeping him could get ugly, especially in the light of certain, recent comments from another leading figure in the VR realm. Only hope they could get another good fella to take his place and that that Gopman doesn't take it too hard.

Risible

Can we please stop with all the "we all do stupid shit when were young" defenses of shit like this? Actually no, most normal good people DON'T do stupid shit like publically rant about homeless people like they are peasants and we're royalty.

It's a false equivalency. While we all do make mistakes, it's like saying oops sorry I murdered that guy, we all make mistakes.

There are mistakes and then there are MISTAKES.

M3d10n

Well, at least he gets another fantastic opportunity for improving as a person: experiencing first hand how millions of people feel having their prospects forever limited by bad choices they made when they didn't know any better.

gblues

Banned
Imagine that in 2013 you wrote a post that ultimately earned you a ban. You take your L, you learn from it. Then in 2016, someone bumps that old thread, but your shitty post (which you went back and deleted, but is still there in the form of quotes) comes back to the forefront, and you end up banned again. For the same post.

It seems like that's what happened to this guy, and I don't feel comfortable with it.

Did he really change? Is he still a shitbag? I don't know, and neither does TechCrunch. But that didn't stop them from putting up a fresh reminder of his shitty 2013 opinion so that the public could decide if his repentance was sufficient (an impossible standard for anyone to meet).

Can we please stop with all the "we all do stupid shit when were young" defenses of shit like this? Actually no, most normal good people DON'T do stupid shit like publically rant about homeless people like they are peasants and we're royalty.

It's a false equivalency. While we all do make mistakes, it's like saying oops sorry I murdered that guy, we all make mistakes.

He didn't murder someone, so I'm not sure what you are going on about here...

Seems to me this is more like a mistake & not a MISTAKE.

kmfdmpig

Imagine that in 2013 you wrote a post that ultimately earned you a ban. You take your L, you learn from it. Then in 2016, someone bumps that old thread, but your shitty post (which you went back and deleted, but is still there in the form of quotes) comes back to the forefront, and you end up banned again. For the same post.

It seems like that's what happened to this guy, and I don't feel comfortable with it.

Did he really change? Is he still a shitbag? I don't know, and neither does TechCrunch. But that didn't stop them from putting up a fresh reminder of his shitty 2013 opinion so that the public could decide if his repentance was sufficient (an impossible standard for anyone to meet).

Good post. Twitter, at least should have known about both his past and his attempts (sincere or not) to make amends. If they knew then they should not have fired him. If Twitter, of all companies, didn't think to look into someone's social media background before making a major hire then that's really a sign of just how shittily they're run, which would explain why they are so awful about allowing abuse with minimal consequences.

Many on GAF seem bloodthirsty for people to be fired for past transgressions, which is a bit odd considering how popular the idea of rehabilitation is for criminals here. If one can come back from being a murderer and reintegrate into society surely someone who wrote an awful rant on Facebook which he has since recanted and apologized for can reintegrate into the workplace.

I don't see how Tech Crunch is to blame here. They posted a story about Twitters new hire (which is recent news) and in it they explained his past. Saying it was wrong of them to post the story just because it happened 3 years ago is ridiculous. Do you also think videos of Trump saying he assaults women aren't fair game to bring up because they happened in the past? There's no statue of limitations on the news.

Ultimately I place most of the blame of Twitter. If they're that incompetent that they'd hire someone without looking into his past then idk what to say. However I think they knew very well what his statements were and hired him anyway. Which then means it was extremely scummy of them to fire him. Especially considering that it shows they only did it because they got caught and not because they actually gave a fuck about what he said.

I guess this raises the question: is there any kind of double jeopardy clause for shitty internet behavior? Like, obviously my first reaction on reading that post from the OP is "holy shit this guy is a colossal asshole," but this isn't something the guy just posted and it isn't something that just surfaced. This guy already got boatloads of shit for that post when he made it three years ago, apologized, and seems to have subsequently lost his position as CEO at Angelhack (though it's unclear reading articles from back then if this was a direct result of this story or because he was stealing from the company or something? Shit's all mixed up.)

Honestly from reading about his actions since then he doesn't seem to have learned a lot and still sounds like a self-centered jerk. But is that reason enough to get him fired? If he gets another job somewhere else in a couple years, will there be another article and will he be fired again?

I dunno. I already feel somewhat uncomfortable with the trend of social media mobs rushing to enact disproportionate punishments on people being jerks. It just makes it worse if that initial mobbing is going to keep resurfacing and resulting in additional punishments. Hard to blame Twitter, though
This is a big problem I'm having though I know far less about this case, though he seems like he's superficially change but not substantially

But this is a trend I'm worried about, that people become irredeemable pariahs for mistakes, repeated behavior is much different.

I think there has to be the opportunity to atone for mistakes. The internet makes thing permanent and I think seemingly disallowing that is really harmful.

I think peoples responses are to fears that the bar for MISTAKES bar gets lower and lower. Or context is removed. I know for instance I used take the cops words a lot of of the times in stories about abuses pre-trayvon and my college education. I probably made comments on police stories to that extent. I've learned since then and we all largely have. But if that quote was presented now sans the context that this is a public issue now and I literally wasn't exposed to the arguments that I now believe I might look like an all-lives-matter guy without the fact that the context of that argument today is much different in intent and previous ignorance. Same with Gay-marriage. I used to think "civil unions are fine we don't need to give marriage." I was ignorant to both issues (and hosts of others) when I used to make those comments to friends and possibly online.

There are a lot of other things that, especially now with social media people have by and large evolved on but the previous posts remain. I think isolating them and regurgitating them when someone is hired is a worrisome trend. Especially when people have seemingly changed.

I mean that rant is far beyond what most people say but its part of a trend and I think its fair to debate where this line is drawn and if this crossed it.

The Beard

He's not wrong. SF is disgusting. Homeless people there are really aggressive, and some of them literally shit on the sidewalks. I avoid the place as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom