• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two new DOOM 3 XBOX screens

doom-3-20040727053338093.jpg

doom-3-20040727053337515.jpg

looking mighty fine. :D

RiZ III

not too shabby. Ofcourse the PC version looks better but id rather play this on xbox instead of having to through out like 500 dollars upgrading my pc.

RiZ III said:
not too shabby. Ofcourse the PC version looks better but id rather play this on xbox instead of having to through out like 500 dollars upgrading my pc.
dont forget online co-op on xbox as well

(yes, i know there will be a PC mod)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It looks decent, but the screens don't show the framerate, and if its not above a solid 24fps, then its just going to suck

neptunes

RiZ III said:

but that's half the fun...;)

yes the pc version looks better, but with an average pc rig (2ghz 512ram 128mb gfx) you will get similar if not better performance and visuals. and you dont have to wait until late 2004.
i like to play my pc fps on my tv, so i turn down the res, and turn up everything to full. wireless kb and mouse ensure a lovely 'sit back and relax' couch experience.

playing doom3 in 640x340 on your tv with the lights off, should be a worthwhile experience.

neptunes

...I like to play my pc fps on my tv, so i turn down the res, and turn up everything to full. wireless kb and mouse ensure a lovely 'sit back and relax' couch experience....

I've never tried that, is it comfortable using a wireless mouse and keyboard on the couch.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Blazing Sword said:
It better, considering the hardware needed to run the game maxed out at its full potential does'nt even exist yet.

Do they have some weird subliminal advertising on XBL or something? You might need to get deprogramed.

nep: yeah its good, but dont think you lie out, unless you have some strange keyboard cheast holder, but slouching works well.

although the picture quality isnt as good as on a monitor, as the rez is low, the games speed along.
the tv screen adds a 'filter', it takes a lot of the jaggies away. try it!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Suikoguy said:
It looks decent, but the screens don't show the framerate, and if its not above a solid 24fps, then its just going to suck

thankfully, the e3 demo was awesome as far as framrate was concerned....

and these screens look absolutely terrific. with doom 3 pc out very soon, has there been an update on doom 3 xbox's release date? maybe oct?

siege

Banned
op_ivy said:
with doom 3 pc out very soon, has there been an update on doom 3 xbox's release date? maybe oct?

I think November has been thrown around alot in a few rumor articles I've read. Somewhere around there (Oct-Nov) might be possible.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Blazing Sword said:
It better, considering the hardware needed to run the game maxed out at its full potential does'nt even exist yet.
You don't need a particularly awesome system to get better IQ than seen in those screens.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
cybamerc said:
You don't need a particularly awesome system to get better IQ than seen in those screens.

I dunno, the IQ is fine in Doom 3 on XBOX. A 3.2 GHz P4 + 2gb ram + 9800XT was only pushing ~50 fps average at 1024x768 with no AA or AF...and that was during a time demo. I'd say you DO need a particularly awesome system to go well beyond that XBOX IQ...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
If Doom3 xbox runs at 30fps locked it'll be well worth it, i cant see my PC getting anywhere near that. If the Xbox version is jumpy ill probably just pass on Doom3 entirely..

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
dark10x said:
I dunno, the IQ is fine in Doom 3 on XBOX. A 3.2 GHz P4 + 2gb ram + 9800XT was only pushing ~50 fps average at 1024x768 with no AA or AF...and that was during a time demo. I'd say you DO need a particularly awesome system to go well beyond that XBOX IQ...
The Xbox version is 30 fps @ 640x480. Anyway, my point was not about speed. Doom 3 on a 64 mb gfx card looks considerably better than those Xbox screens.

dark10x

cybamerc said:
The Xbox version is 30 fps @ 640x480. Anyway, my point was not about speed. Doom 3 on a 64 mb gfx card looks considerably better than those Xbox screens.

Well, obviously, the quality of your image will be tied directly to the speed of the game...and it seems like it will require a fast machine to achieve a good framerate along with superior image quality.

I'll be curious to see just what the low detail mode looks like in Doom 3. Perhaps the XBOX version is based on those settings? Virtually every PC screenshot we have seen has been snapped at one of the highest detail levels, so we really have yet to see what it will look like on a less than high-end system. The textures clearly took the biggest hit here...

"impressive for xbox, but the PC version looks hell alot better."

Really? I never would have thought that.

"plastic yuckiness, dont look great to me"

Whatever you need to tell yourself to avoid the game.

DSN2K

CrimsonSkies said:
"impressive for xbox, but the PC version looks hell alot better."

Really? I never would have thought that.

Yes.

the fact it even runs with all the features(yes reduced) is amazing in its own right. :)

Tenguman

Doom3 neutered like that doesn't look impressive at all. I guess you can call it a "technical achievement", but is it really? Lighting took a hit and the the textures took a drastic hit to. And from what little I've seen of it, the animation has been chopped up a little too. Doom3 is so reliant on other things besides polycount that making it all run on the xbox makes it look sorta ugly.

I guess you can say Doom 3 can only be done on the Xbox (via console) but still...there are many more xbox games that look 10x more impressive than the xbox version of Doom 3 (Heck PS2 and GC too)

SaitoH

MrPing1000 said:
plastic yuckiness, dont look great to me

While everyone has their opinion, I've seen this one reiterated numerous times and am a tad baffled. It does have a CG rendered quality, but in motion, you don't really notice it. I've only played that leaked alpha, but it looked amazing to me.

Definitely not plastic, IMO.

^_~

On topic: The Xbox version looks great, and hearing that it runs at a good framerate is fantastic news. Should make a lot of people very happy.

^w^

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Uhm,E3 demo looked great not to mention the trailer,on xbox its only challanged by Halo 2,Riddick and Splinter Cell 3 among action games this year.On other consoles you have Metroid 2,RE4 and possibly Killzone.

looks sweet..
cant wait to get me some doom 3 loving on the xbox..

i am going to go pickup the doom compilation at walmart for $10.. ultimate doom, doom 2, and final doom... wish I could play them on my xbox instead, but ill make do wiht the keyboard/mouse...

"there are many more xbox games that look 10x more impressive than the xbox version of Doom 3 (Heck PS2 and GC too)"

Really. Please list them. I must be playing the wrong games.

Society said:
Do they have some weird subliminal advertising on XBL or something? You might need to get deprogramed.

Do you feel personally threatened over video games? If you do, you may need to seek preofessional help.

The simple fact is, stated MANY times by id themselves, is that the technology to run DOOM 3 at its fullest potential does NOT EXIST YET. There are no 512 MB video cards that I, or anyone else, can see.
Thanks for stopping by.

CrimsonSkies said:
"there are many more xbox games that look 10x more impressive than the xbox version of Doom 3 (Heck PS2 and GC too)"

Really. Please list them. I must be playing the wrong games.

Like I just said, Riddick.

Yup. I'm not even particularly looking forward to the game, but this makes a choice between xbox and PC even more clear. Even when you don't consider kb/mouse.

dark10x

Insertia said:
It looks half-assed without the high-res textures, image quality, and detailed lighting of the PC version.

I dunno...

Based on the play tests and trailers, the lighting is almost entirely in tact. As for image quality, most of us will be unable to enjoy the PC version at those resolution with AA and AF (as proven by recent benchmarks). Obviously, it will still be better than 640x480 (in most cases)...but I don't even think 1024x768 is going to run that well on many PCs...

The textures, on the other hand, took a MASSIVE hit...and that is the main problem. The normal maps have gone to hell and the game relied VERY heavily on those in order to achieve the appearance of "high geometry".

I really have no interest in the XBOX version, though. I was going to buy the PC version from day 1...

I honestly think that Doom 3, as a game, will be the most suprising aspect. I can't say for certain (obviously), but I really am expecting a great game...not just a tech demo. Far Cry was nearly a tech demo IMO...and I really believe that Doom 3 will crush it from a game standpoint. Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 should stand above both of those as well...but Doom should be able to hold its own.

signet

most Xbox games don't have the high-res textures, image quality, and detailed lighting of the PC version.

That is the trade off of a $150.00 console and a $1500.00 PC.

Game will still look great by console standers and you won't have take out a 2nd mortgage to update your Xbox to play it.

" $1500.00 PC."

Funny, mine only cost $700 and i know it can run DIII at medium, and from the benchmarks, It looks like I could muster High quality at 30~ FPS.

What's this? You don't have a fudgin' clue?

signet

Tre said:
" $1500.00 PC."

Funny, mine only cost $700 and i know it can run DIII at medium, and from the benchmarks, It looks like I could muster High quality at 30~ FPS.

What's this? You don't have a fudgin' clue?

D3 on medium? If you are going to slum it up at medium might as well play the Xbox version.

rolleyes.gif

For $700 you could by a Xbox, XBL for a year and all of the big holiday hits and have a few cents leftover too call your PC gaming friend and gloat as he is struggling to run Doom 3 on a crappy $700 PC.

And that still doesn't make up for the fact you're settling for less. BTW, Call me when you're able to run half of the programs PCs can. Comparing prices is idiotic.

"For $700 you could by a Xbox, XBL for a year and all of the big holiday hits and have a few cents leftover too call your PC gaming friend and gloat as he is struggling to run Doom 3 on a crappy $700 PC."

Who said it'll be struggling? And it'll look much, much better than what your Xbox will come close to doing. Does the fact that the Xbox version is inferior pain you?

Bregor

Ghost said:
$700 is still 4 Xboxs and 2 copies of the game ;)

Which is a flawed comparison because the PC can and will be used for much more than just playing a single game. Gaming wise, the total cost includes all of the games you buy. This doesn't even touch e-mail, browsing, office apps and all the other things that an Xbox cannot and will never be able to do.

For what it can do, a PC is a bargain.

signet

Tre said:
Who said it'll be struggling? And it'll look much, much better than what your Xbox will come close to doing. Does the fact that the Xbox version is inferior pain you?

What pains me are PC games who have to come into Xbox game threads and spout off how much better the PC version is. If you can find me a $150 PC that will run Doom 3 better than the xbox I'll listen. If you can't keep your yap shut.

If I wanted to play Doom 3 in all of its glory on my PC I'd have to drop about $400 on a new 3d card (upgrade my 9700 pro to a GF 6800gt) but I'd rather pick up the Xbox version for $50 and spend the rest on something more meaningful.

Xbox gamers won't be missing out on anything but some higher res texture and some a large credit card bill.

Bregor

signet said:
What pains me are PC games who have to come into Xbox game threads and spout off how much better the PC version is. If you can find me a $150 PC that will run Doom 3 better than the xbox I'll listen. If you can't keep your yap shut.

If I wanted to play Doom 3 in all of its glory on my PC I'd have to drop about $400 on a new 3d card (upgrade my 9700 pro to a GF 6800gt) but I'd rather pick up the Xbox version for $50 and spend the rest on something more meaningful.

Xbox gamers won't be missing out on anything but some higher res texture and some a large credit card bill.

Wait, you have a 9700 Pro, but will buy the Xbox version????

Top Bottom