• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
God fucking speed to her. Atrocious that this is what she has to do to protect womens' rights, though.

How can Austinites stand to live in that fucking backasswards state?

I fucking hate Texas. Almost everything about it repulses me.

Oh, shut the hell up. The major metropolitan areas (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin) are relatively liberal. And Austinities can stand to live in Austin because it's pretty nice (notwithstanding traffic). Have you been there?

Here's a Vine of the line to enter the gallery: https://vine.co/v/hznxTpxU6KT

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You know what's rude? Trying to place restrictions on people's rights. Which is exactly what this bill is all about.

I have no idea how you got the impression that I had something to discuss with you on this issue or any other.You are apparently unable to distinguish between abhorrent positions and individual abhorrent people and tarring an entire group of people. It is rude and ignorant of the reality that many people hold very complex identities which are constructed by a number of factors, only some of which they have control over. Even those who engage in dirty tricks to pass these policies are doing so because at their core they truly believe they are doing the right thing to satisfy their underlying moral beliefs. They should be educated as to the emotional and physical harm they are causing and the ineffectiveness of their policy options, but they should not be treated as lesser humans or threatened with jail or called scum. You are engaging in hurtful and unhelpful rhetoric and you are not showing human compassion. Everyone is capable of being better than this and you are choosing not to be.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Really? The amount of generalizing in this thread is pretty amazing. Tell me exactly everything you hate so much about the state. You do know that Austin is in Texas, right? Actually it is the capital. You do know that Houston has a openly lesbian mayor, I guess you hate that too. Previously Houston had a Black mayor, so that repulses you? Texas has the biggest cancer research facilities in the world with people coming all over the globe to get treatment, do you hate that? What about the fact that the first heart transplant took place in Texas, that must really piss you off too, right?

I get so tired of "I hate Texas" posts from ignorant people who don't have a clue about the state at all. I love the state, some of the nicest people I have ever met. I am not so crazy about the politics at times. There is a definite difference.

Oh, shut the hell up. The major metropolitan areas (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin) are relatively liberal. And Austinities can stand to live in Austin because it's pretty nice (notwithstanding traffic). Have you been there?

Yes, I have, and it's awesome. Which is why it would drive me nuts to live in such a great, forward-thinking city while simultaneously living under such a depraved state government.

Jackson

I have no idea how you got the impression that I had something to discuss with you on this issue or any other.You are apparently unable to distinguish between abhorrent positions and individual abhorrent people and tarring an entire group of people. It is rude and ignorant of the reality that many people hold very complex identities which are constructed by a number of factors, only some of which they have control over. Even those who engage in dirty tricks to pass these policies are doing so because at their core they truly believe they are doing the right thing to satisfy their underlying moral beliefs. They should be educated as to the emotional and physical harm they are causing and the ineffectiveness of their policy options, but they should not be treated as lesser humans or threatened with jail or called scum. You are engaging in hurtful and unhelpful rhetoric and you are not showing human compassion. Everyone is capable of being better than this and you are choosing not to be.

Stumpokapow
listen to the madman
(Today, 04:36 PM)

Enron

Banned
Really? The amount of generalizing in this thread is pretty amazing. Tell me exactly everything you hate so much about the state. You do know that Austin is in Texas, right? Actually it is the capital. You do know that Houston has a openly lesbian mayor, I guess you hate that too. Previously Houston had a Black mayor, so that repulses you? Texas has the biggest cancer research facilities in the world with people coming all over the globe to get treatment, do you hate that? What about the fact that the first heart transplant took place in Texas, that must really piss you off too, right?

I get so tired of "I hate Texas" posts from ignorant people who don't have a clue about the state at all.

Texas fucking rules. I miss it terribly, and wish I still lived there.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
She violated a rule by putting on a back brace? How childish is that?

AMUSIX

To return to the actual filibuster, if you're following it, there are a few small rules that might come into play.

First, her talk must always be on topic. If she strays, she gets a warning. Three warnings, and she's done.

So far she's received one warning.

Some republicans are claiming that two warnings have been given, however, the other warning was to Sen. Kirk Watson, a democrat who asked Davis some questions (to give her a small pause in speaking). The republican stance is that Watson's warning should count against the filibuster as a whole.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

You are in a thread about Texas, where a woman is standing for 12 hours and speaking on behalf of the principles you hold dearly, at risk of physical harm to herself and against overwhelming odds. Anyone who reads this thread and is discouraged rather than encouraged by Texas is clearly missing something.

Every state has filibuster rules. This is state government, for those euros reading the thread and wondering what the hell is going on. I know sometimes you guys can't wrap your heads around our concept of state and federal governments.

His question was whether other states' filibuster rules are like this, not questioning the concept of state gov't in the first place.

Fusebox

Banned
You are in a thread about Texas, where a woman is standing for 12 hours and speaking on behalf of the principles you hold dearly, at risk of physical harm to herself and against overwhelming odds. Anyone who reads this thread and is discouraged rather than encouraged by Texas is clearly missing something.

The fact she has to do this is absolutely discouraging. Se is encouraging, but Texas is discouraging.

Clearly not my best post.

My point is better illustrated by this one:

Yes, I have, and it's awesome. Which is why it would drive me nuts to live in such a great, forward-thinking city while simultaneously living under such a depraved state government.

But I really don't find the story that encouraging, because she will inevitably fail. Which is incredibly sad.

you're from ohio

Our state government isn't exactly great right now, but I'll take John Kasich over Rick Perry any day of the week.

Oh god, Sen. Tommy Williams raising a point of order about Sen. Ellis assisting Sen. Davis in positioning her back brace.

ivysaur12

Banned
To return to the actual filibuster, if you're following it, there are a few small rules that might come into play.

First, her talk must always be on topic. If she strays, she gets a warning. Three warnings, and she's done.

So far she's received one warning.

Some republicans are claiming that two warnings have been given, however, the other warning was to Sen. Kirk Watson, a democrat who asked Davis some questions (to give her a small pause in speaking). The republican stance is that Watson's warning should count against the filibuster as a whole.

And the current issue is that she paused while another Senator placed a back-brace on her.

What if, with 1 minute to go, she takes off her jacket to reveal a shirt with an elephant on it. Then she sits down, completing the heel turn.

Then Rick Perry walks down the senate hall and gives her a high five.
pjlja5t

Keikaku

I hate the fact that she has to do this but applaud the fact that she is doing it. I despise the pettiness with which they're trying to find some way to stop her talking.

Jackson

I hate the fact that she has to do this but applaud the fact that she is doing it. I despise the pettiness with which they're trying to find some way to stop her talking.

Well, she's interrupting a bill by talking for 13 hours without it having a purpose other than to block the bill and they are trying to make her quit.

The system is what's causing the pettiness. It's a stupid system.

Iksenpets

Banned

Here's a Vine of the line to enter the gallery: https://vine.co/v/hznxTpxU6KT

For reference, the orange shirts are pro-choice supporters backing the filibuster, blue are pro-life backing the bill. Pretty lopsided turnout.

And agree with your assessment of the state. Texas is cursed with a government that's massively out of line with its people, due to all the gerrymandering and the fact that a lot of people have just given up on voting after so many years of it.

rSpooky

I think this feeling comes from a series of incredible legislation in many states force by majorities voted in because of a bad economy and promises to fix jobs. It rubs people the wrong way and seeing things now like back brace =braking rules is some people get a "little" irritated about. It is pure bullying and pestering and no one likes bullies and pests.

You have a great point that there is hope in what this woman is doing, but this world is full of half empty people as well as glass half full people.

Believe me I fight everyday not to go absolutely ape shit on the many people including coworkers and even friends who seem to be all for these tactics.. It is easy to lose your shit when it hits you in the gut.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Clearly not my best post.

My point is better illustrated by this one:

But I really don't find the story that encouraging, because she will inevitably fail. Which is incredibly sad.

Our state government isn't exactly great right now, but I'll take John Kasich over Rick Perry any day of the week.

Keep in mind that almost immediately after the SCOTUS ruling on the VRA, Texas reimplemented one of the harshest voter ID laws in the nation. They certainly wasted no time on that.

Keikaku

Well, she's interrupting a bill by talking for 13 hours without it having a purpose other than to block the bill and they are trying to make her quit.

The system is what's causing the pettiness. It's a stupid system.
I should have been clearer but I did mean to include systemic issues like the filibuster process in when I said that "I hate that she has to do this". In general, political procedures in this country are far too obtuse and obscure when we don't want or need them to be.

Valnen

Why should I be compassionate for those who are actively trying to ruin my country by actively fighting against what should be basic human rights? They're making themselves an actual threat to society by doing this. I'm very angry that bills like this are even allowed to be considered.

This is pretty awesome. Her fellow senators are finding ways to maybe let her sit or re-read tons of shit she already read, slowly too, haha. The president seems annoyed with all this.

Jackson

Why should I be compassionate for those who are actively trying to ruin my country by actively fighting against what should be basic human rights?

Because darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

That's how it truly works.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is pretty awesome. Her fellow senators are finding ways to maybe let her sit or re-read tons of shit she already read, slowly too, haha. The president seems annoyed with all this.

He does, but he's also in a bind because he needs to appeal to the parliamentary rules.

BACK BRACE IS ALLOWED!

KlotePino

Looks like she's at 2 warnings now? What a ridiculous system from an outside perspective but it shows there's still some people left in Texas with their head screwed on right.

Ri'Orius

So out of curiosity, suppose she finishes the filibuster and delays the vote until tomorrow. How much does that really help? I mean, they have the votes, right? Do we expect there to be enough public outcry to sway some of the state senators or something?

Is there an endgame in mind, or is this just stalling for stalling's sake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom