• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, I seem to have missed something about a back brace? Like, wearing a back brace makes her disqualified? Or something?

Please tell me I am wrong.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How is this even a valid political practice.

The filibuster has been around for decades upon decades. She's actually doing it the right way, in the US Senate all someone has to do is yell "filibuster" and it stops everything.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
so all she has to do is kill anyone who attempts to take the microphone from her.

Good call. She's nobody's bitch.

UAehduS.jpg

The filibuster has been around for decades upon decades. She's actually doing it the right way, in the US Senate all someone has to do is yell "filibuster" and it stops everything.
For you non-Americans, this is a total exaggeration. There is no yelling necessary. As far as I know they usually inform everyone beforehand that they plan to filibuster and it stops everything before it starts.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For you non-Americans, this is a total exaggeration. There is no yelling necessary. As far as I know they usually inform everyone that they plan to filibuster and it stops everything before it starts.

True, it's like passing a note. No one needs to know it was you. That doesn't mean it's not ludicrously easy though.

For you non-Americans, this is a total exaggeration. There is no yelling necessary. As far as I know they usually inform everyone beforehand that they plan to filibuster and it stops everything before it starts.
I'm impressed that it's even possible. It's funny, like a game or something.

True, it's like passing a note. No one needs to know it was you. That doesn't mean it's not ludicrously easy though.
I meant that you don't even need to put forth the energy to yell. All you have to do is type an email or something. Is so stupidly easy and is one of the reasons almost nothing gets done in congress.

I'm impressed that it's even possible. It's funny, like a game or something.
I was being sarcastic, I think there is a bit more to it than that but it's still really easy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I meant that you don't even need to put forth the energy to yell. All you have to do is type an email or something. Is so stupidly easy and is one of the reasons almost nothing gets done in congress.

I know, it's just that I either make filibuster jokes or break down in an unending rage over how goddamn stupid it is.

Alexlf

Really. So you believe that actively trying to destroy human rights is okay?

Just wondering, and if the mods think it's derailing I can take it to PM or something, but do you have a response to:

alexlf said:
So if a ton of Republicans came to your house tomorrow and threw you in jail for the rest of your life for ruining the country you'd be happy with it? Because to them you are a massive threat to society as a whole through the degradation of moral values, as some tend to put it, and the destruction of the economy by allowing welfare, etc etc. You might argue "well they're wrong!", and maybe so, but there are several things YOU are wrong about as well. I can 100% guarantee that some personal or moral value that you would be willing to fight for is wrong. Should you be put into jail for that? No, and neither should they.

EDIT:
Awe, never mind. Cyan wants to see it gone so it's gone. If you want to PM me though I'm always looking forward to a good discussion.

stktt

Banned
Really. So you believe that actively trying to destroy human rights is okay?

I believe that they believe they're doing the right thing, which makes the sheer amount of vitriol towards a multifaceted issue a little disconcerting.

Cyan

Banned
Why should I? I'm not doing anything wrong.

What Stump was trying to tell you is that it's not only unhelpful to engage in aggressive and angry rhetoric of the sort you've used in this thread, it's also hurtful and rude. Accusing those you disagree with of being evil monsters who ought to be locked up is not conducive to any kind of good discussion. We prefer to have good and reasonable discussions on GAF, where people present arguments rather than simply all-out attacking their opponent.

I'm going to strongly recommend that you not post any more in this thread unless you can keep it free of anger and aggression.

If you want to respond to this post or to Stump, please do so via PM rather than a post in this thread.

Xece

Banned
I believe that they believe they're doing the right thing, which makes the sheer amount of vitriol towards a multifaceted issue a little disconcerting.

I'm sure many in the KKK(strong example) are doing what they believe is the right thing as well. There is a point where thinking you're doing the right thing isn't good enough anymore.

The rules are that whomever "has the floor" has control and gets to speak about the issue at hand until they have said everything they want to say without interruption. Things like sitting or whatever are signals that you are giving up control so they aren't making her stand, she is standing to signal that she is not giving up control of the floor.

Okay...but why the demand for her to stand for 12hs? I guess not growing up in this country makes me woefully ignorant on state political processes. But I really don't see the point of the standing for 12h, 3 strikes stuff. Seems ridiculously petty. I don't know I feel America's entire party system is broken and borderline worthless.

I don't know this just seems utterly dumb and childish to me and really doesn't seem political at all. This is something me and my friends did as kids when we bet stuff we owned. (Gotta stand up for 8hrs straight at 1am with your arms held out, loser has to give up their dragon ball game).

Enron

Banned
I'm sure many in the KKK(strong example) are doing what they believe is the right thing as well. There is a point where thinking you're doing the right thing isn't good enough anymore.

So we are doing this now?

Okay...but why the demand for her to stand for 12hs? I guess not growing up in this country makes me woefully ignorant on state political processes. But I really don't see the point of the standing for 12h, 3 strikes stuff. Seems it was created because they (whoever created it) knew that 99% of people who attempted it wouldn't last 12hrs.

I don't know this just seems utterly dumb and childish to me and really doesn't seem political at all. This is something me and my friends did as kids when we bet stuff we owned. (Gotta stand up for 8hrs straight at 1am with your arms held out, loser has to give up their dragon ball game).

It's childish for exactly the bolded reason.

Also, if you gave up your Dragonball game, are you really the loser or winner?

Iksenpets

Banned
Okay...but why the demand for her to stand for 12hs? I guess not growing up in this country makes me woefully ignorant on state political processes. But I really don't see the point of the standing for 12h, 3 strikes stuff. Seems ridiculously petty. I don't know I feel America's entire party system is broken and borderline worthless.

The 12 hours is just because that's the length of time between when she started and when the session ended. It's not set in stone that a filibuster must be twelve hours. It just has to last until the end of session.

stktt

Banned

Sure. I'm not advocating their position, and hope this filibuster is successful. I just dislike seeing those in support of the bill being labeled as blatantly, entirely evil without any attempt to understand why they feel that way.

Shosai

Banned

My guess is that the requirement to stand was created to discourage rampant filibustering, otherwise any senator could just sit at their desk and read from a phonebook to block everything

Back-brace-gate

NM_25FILIBUSTERZD_31836514+%281%29.JPG

Update at 6:53 p.m. by Claire Cardona:
Sen. Tommy Williams, R-The Woodlands, raised a point of order on the filibuster because Davis had help from Sen. Ellis to readjust her back brace. Some senators have asked if Davis can sit while they determine if the point of order will be sustained.

Dewhurst said she cannot, but Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo, brings up a part in the rules that would permit Davis to sit.

Dewhurst said it would be put to a vote by the body whether the point of order should be allowed to stand.

“When you get ready to cast your vote, you’re not going to elected or reelected on that vote,” Ellis said. “Some point you’ve got to decide: Is winning everything or do traditions in this body mean something to you?”

Zaffirini notes that the rules said “may not lean on his desk, his chair, and that note doesnt apply to Sen. Davis.”

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anything to shut her up. I'd do the same thing though if the positions were reversed.

I was referring to Zaffirini's point. You don't get much more literal than "The rules don't apply here because she's a she and not a he and it says he in the rules."

I know that's not what she's saying, but it would be pretty funny if it was.

hokahey

So....why's the bill bad? 20 weeks? I mean....jeeez. That's 5 fucking months. Have none of you had a child?

I don't get the outrage.

AMUSIX

I was referring to Zaffirini's point. You don't get much more literal than "The rules don't apply here because she's a she and not a he and it says he in the rules."

I know that's not what she's saying, but it would be pretty funny if it was.

That's exactly what they're saying, mostly to show how ridiculous the Republicans are being with their "she had help adjusting her back brace, so that counts as outside support!" bullshit.

So....why's the bill bad? 20 weeks? I mean....jeeez. That's 5 fucking months. Have none of you had a child?

I don't get the outrage.

Under the bill, abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy would be banned, all clinics would be required to be upgraded to high-standard surgical centers, doctors would need admitting privileges at hospitals and new restrictions would be placed on abortion-inducing pill procedures.

Davis, referencing a Tweet by Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, said the real plan was not to help women, but to shut down clinics. Dewhurst had made such a reference, saying the reason for the bill was that more than 30 clinics would be closed down under the new regulations.

She said the bill would interfere with the doctor-patient relationship, impose new regulations without any medical basis and eliminate safe and legal abortions to poor women and those who could not travel.

The intent, Davis said, “is to force the closure of multiple facilities across the state of Texas without a single care or concern for the women whose lives will be impacted by that decision.”

It is a TRAP law designed to close down clinics.

That said, women rarely get abortions after 20 weeks . . . they make up like 0.1% of abortions. When they do, it is pretty much because their life is in danger or fetus is significantly deformed.

US_abortion_by_gestational_age_2004_histogram.svg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom