• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
So out of curiosity, suppose she finishes the filibuster and delays the vote until tomorrow. How much does that really help? I mean, they have the votes, right? Do we expect there to be enough public outcry to sway some of the state senators or something?

Is there an endgame in mind, or is this just stalling for stalling's sake?

From the OP:
Sen. Wendy Davis of Fort Worth began the filibuster at 11:18 a.m. CDT Tuesday. To derail a vote in the GOP-dominated Senate, she must keep speaking on the bill until midnight — the deadline for the end of the 30-day special session.

So out of curiosity, suppose she finishes the filibuster and delays the vote until tomorrow. How much does that really help? I mean, they have the votes, right? Do we expect there to be enough public outcry to sway some of the state senators or something?

If she continues to midnight, the bill is dead.

Alexlf

Why should I be compassionate for those who are actively trying to ruin my country by actively fighting against what should be basic human rights? They're making themselves an actual threat to society by doing this. I'm very angry that bills like this are even allowed to be considered.

Did you read what he actually said? Those people who are "ruining" the country from your point of view are saving it in theirs. The honestly don;t know any better, and as a matter of fact they have a lifetime of experience and information that they believe backs up their ideals. As Stumpokapow said, the only thing we can do is to educate and and show compassion, lest we do exactly they same thing they do. (This doesn't apply for a majority of republicans, only the extreme ones that try and pass bills like this.)

Iksenpets

Banned

There's a hard time limit on the special session. If it can be pushed to the end of that, they can't take a vote.

The session ends at midnight. There's no tomorrow.

Buzzman

Banned
Because darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

That's how it truly works.

Those are some nice words but they don't mean shit in the real world. Did love drive out the British from America? The Aristocracy from France? The Nazis from Germany?

No matter what your opinion on abortion is, I don't understand how you can rejoice about what is technically a waste of time and money. Is there no other law to vote or debate on this month? Anyway, since the event has already started, might as well enjoy the show.

Jackson

Those are some nice words but they don't mean shit in the real world. Did love drive out the British from America? The Aristocracy from France? The Nazis from Germany?

I dunno, did Martin Luther King Jr. advance civil rights in American progressivism? (The answer is yes... also those are his words.)

ivysaur12

Banned
No matter what your opinion on abortion is, I don't understand how you can rejoice about what is technically a waste of time and money. Is there no other law to vote or debate on this month? Anyway, since the event has already started, might as well enjoy the show.

Because people who are supportive of reproductive rights would see this bill as worth the "time and money"? And this is the last bill of the session.

It's only a waste of time and money if she doesn't succeed in killing the bill. Even if you disapprove of filibusters they are often the only way to stop bad legislation from getting steamrolled through the democratic process. There are other bills to vote on but it's the GOP that set the schedule and set up the confrontation.

Clydefrog

wow, what a lovely bill. yeesh. keep going, wendy!

also, LOL:

3qbhgYr.png

Is this guy helping her fillibuster? what is even talking about?

He's helping. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they're about to vote on the point of order re: back brace. If that vote is held, the Democrats (Davis) will probably lose and the filibuster will end.

gwarm01

I get so tired of "I hate Texas" posts from ignorant people who don't have a clue about the state at all. I love the state, some of the nicest people I have ever met. I am not so crazy about the politics at times. There is a definite difference.

You think you have it bad? Try living in Florida.

It's only a waste of time and money if she doesn't succeed in killing the bill. Even if you disapprove of filibusters they are often the only way to stop bad legislation from getting steamrolled through the democratic process. There are other bills to vote on but it's the GOP that set the schedule and set up the confrontation.
If you believe in democracy, wouldn't the best thing be just letting the senate vote and accept the result, even if you don't agree with it?

I...don't understand these rules at all. Like seriously, making someone stand for 12hrs in order to get a filibuster? How old are these people? That's so childish.

Rayis

This woman's a hero, and I hope she's able to stand her ground and beat that horrible piece of legislation which limits the rights of women , Texas really is a horrible state politically speaking, it makes no sense that is so diverse yet so stupidly conservative.

Valnen

Did you read what he actually said? Those people who are "ruining" the country from your point of view are saving it in theirs. The honestly don;t know any better, and as a matter of fact they have a lifetime of experience and information that they believe backs up their ideals. As Stumpokapow said, the only thing we can do is to educate and and show compassion, lest we do exactly they same thing they do. (This doesn't apply for a majority of republicans, only the extreme ones that try and pass bills like this.)
The fact that they don't know any better doesn't change a damn thing. They're still a threat to women's rights and thus society as a whole.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you believe in democracy, wouldn't the best thing be just letting the senate vote and accept the result, even if you don't agree with it?

If you want to be reductive like that, why not abolish the senate and have direct democracy, will of the majority of 50%+1 for all things? No, clearly most people believe that pure demos is balanced with rule of law, liberty and order together. A constitution with supermajoritarian protections, representative democracy as opposed to direct, and checks and balances to prevent the accumulation of power by a simple majority (including the filibuster among them).

I believe in setting up checks against the tyranny of the majority. 'Simply accepting the result' would saddle my home state with a ban on gay marriage, and lots of other states legislating straight out of Leviticus. You fight with the tools your constitution gives you. 'murica.

LOL @ Sen. Whitmire. That guy is a boss, albeit sometime criminal. "People are mad at you because they don't have the courage or physical traits to do so..."

entremet

This woman's a hero, and I hope she's able to stand her ground and beat that horrible piece of legislation which limits the rights of women , Texas really is a horrible state politically speaking, it makes no sense that is so diverse yet so stupidly conservative.

Redistricting led by the criminal and scum Tom Delay.

Alexlf

The fact that they don't know any better doesn't change a damn thing. They're still a threat to women's rights and thus society as a whole.

So if a ton of Republicans came to your house tomorrow and threw you in jail for the rest of your life for ruining the country you'd be happy with it? Because to them you are a massive threat to society as a whole through the degradation of moral values, as some tend to put it, and the destruction of the economy by allowing welfare, etc etc. You might argue "well they're wrong!", and maybe so, but there are several things YOU are wrong about as well. I can 100% guarantee that some personal or moral value that you would be willing to fight for is wrong. Should you be put into jail for that? No, and neither should they.

I...don't understand these rules at all. Like seriously, making someone stand for 12hrs in order to get a filibuster? How old are these people? That's so childish.
The rules are that whomever "has the floor" has control and gets to speak about the issue at hand until they have said everything they want to say without interruption. Things like sitting or whatever are signals that you are giving up control so they aren't making her stand, she is standing to signal that she is not giving up control of the floor.

Enron

Banned
His question was whether other states' filibuster rules are like this, not questioning the concept of state gov't in the first place.

What i meant to say, was every state has their OWN filibuster rules. And often times eurogaf is bewildered how state gov'ts can be so different here in the US.

Some more pics

It's a lonely job:
diUiJ.St.58.jpeg

LBJ is watching:
Iw6V3.St.58.jpeg

Not sure if these supporters don't know that it was wire coat-hanger (perhaps they are too young) or perhaps they couldn't find any wire coat-hangers.
Qx1Xi.St.58.jpeg

But it makes me happy that they've never known a reality with wire coat-hangers as a possibility.

rSpooky

]

Not sure if these supporters don't know that it was wire coat-hanger (perhaps they are too young) or perhaps they couldn't find any wire coat-hangers.
Qx1Xi.St.58.jpeg

But it makes me happy that they've never know a reality with wire coat-hangers as a possibility.

My guess is ,that a wire coat hanger could be construed as a weapon of some kind.

If you want to be reductive like that, why not abolish the senate and have direct democracy, will of the majority of 50%+1 for all things? No, clearly most people believe that pure demos is balanced with rule of law, liberty and order together. A constitution with supermajoritarian protections, representative democracy as opposed to direct, and checks and balances to prevent the accumulation of power by a simple majority (including the filibuster among them).
I believe in setting up checks against the tyranny of the majority. 'Simply accepting the result' would saddle my home state with a ban on gay marriage, and lots of other states legislating straight out of Leviticus. You fight with the tools your constitution gives you. 'murica.

Thanks for the answer.

lol...

Or... Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

You know the guy that did all that stuff for civil rights?

Maybe you heard of him?

Oh please be more condescending. I did not expect the person behind the glorious Scribblenauts franchise to pull the "words from a famous guy, god I'm so deep" shtick.

I did not think that the words were taken from Harry Potter, but they would not be out of place in a childish fantasy book.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light" is meaningless flowery language. True at its core (yes, darkness is the absence of light) but the non-literal interpretation that is meant to be taken at true isn't necessarily true, or true in all cases.

Since this took quite awhile, is the time added to the filibuster requirement? For instance instead of being 24 hours would it be 24 hours and x minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom