• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

What I find kind of amazing is that he's running down the clock by fairly legitimately arguing his point of appeal. 33 minutes to go! Watson's got this shit.

This is the most excitement I've ever experienced from watching a man ramble. I get nervous preparing a one hour lecture because I wonder what I'll talk about if I need to improvise, I can't imagine how bad it is if you've got to speak for hours on something without going off topic.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So can Watson run out the time? Or can they stop him in any way

They can stop him on similar notions that Davis was stopped. But then other Democrats could appeal that ruling and talk more during that appeal :lol So as long as Watson doesn't yield, we're good.

Cartman86

Banned
Would C-Span be all over this too? If so that's even more watching via TV.

I believe CSPAN covers the federal government. It would be nice if all political discussions like this were just live streamed 24/7 on an easy to access website. This being on Youtube probably helps a lot.

So how much time does he have left to close? And if he does run out of time, what options do they have?

EDIT: I hope they can do it.

mackaveli

They can stop him on similar notions that Davis was stopped. But then other Democrats could appeal that ruling and talk more during that appeal :lol So as long as Watson doesn't yield, we're good.

But he is closing his motion and not debating it?

Isn't that a big difference?

I have no idea.

They still haven't voted to end her fillibuster and I assume that takes time. So he might not need to go the full 30 min left. He got about 1/3 of the way through so far, though.

Hopefully 20 min is all he needs left, in reality. Maybe with 15 to go the GOP will pull it back. Who knows, though.

Clevinger

So who wants to bet they wait till five minutes left, giving Democrats a little taste of victory, cut him off and then quickly pass the bill?

sangreal

They still haven't voted to end her fillibuster and I assume that takes time. So he might not need to go the full 30 min left. He got about 1/3 of the way through so far, though.

Hopefully 20 min is all he needs left, in reality. Maybe with 15 to go the GOP will pull it back. Who knows, though.

The previous chair didn't submit to the body a vote on whether to end her fillibuster and instead ruled that it was over. That is what is being appealed. So I don't think they will vote on it unless the appeal succeeds (it wont, but that isnt the point anyway)

oni_saru

If you split Texas evenly in half, with one being east and the other being west, then the clinics would be in east Texas. However the term East Texas applies to a distinct area of Texas and doesn't include everything east of that hypothetical divider.

well it's what ppl were calling it. It's taking the former definition of east Texas rather than the latter. Sorry for the confusion.

aceface

Jermaine-Jackson.jpg
ness

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
But he is closing his motion and not debating it?

Isn't that a big difference?

I have no idea.

That's the thing - if he yields, they move to vote. If he doesn't yield, they can't stop him from talking without opening up grounds for another appeal to debate the "stop him from talking" ruling.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man, the comments field is

Dont want children? DONT HAVE SEX....Killing children because you cant use protection is unjustified.

I'll let it talk for itself.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm glad the people who work there in he background find this so funny.

End this charade. The people who are standing up and doing this - well done guys. I cant believe the Texas Senate is letting itself be made to look so stupid worldwide that measures like this have to be done by some of its members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom