• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koomaster

So they just ignore the rule book?
Ignore the rule book, find another rule book, write a different rule book on the spot, throw all those rules out and just forcefully do whatever you want and ignore anyone telling you you can't. Like someone said before, it really has become a game of Calvinball.

I'm sorry if I'm being completely dense, I have managed to surmise that the act of fillibustering is literally bullshitting on a topic until the time to make a decision has passed.
I thought only one person was fillibustering but it seems like several people are talking. But I don't understand this debate on germaneness? Did she stray off topic more than allowed ? Why is the talk not about abortion I'm utterly confused.

bonercop

Oh okay. I missed almost the whole day of this then. I must admit, I'm entertained.

When they say filibustering means talking a bill to death, they really mean it. This conversation is hilarious.

you've missed so much. the situation has turned on its face a billion times, so many highs and lows.

I'm telling ya, it's been phoenix wright:real life edition.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
But can they interrupt him and say his argument is off-topic and cut his time?

They need to give him 3 warnings too though, right? I'm sure he can somehow avoid going offtopic three times for 45 minutes...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But can they interrupt him and say his argument is off-topic and cut his time?

I'm not entirely sure if he can just keep talking or if there is a limit. If there is no limit and they decide not to fuck him over I assume he gets 3 strikes as well.

mackaveli

So you guys are telling me it's not over yet and as long as Watson talks about Abortion in his closing argument and keeps talking we can still win???

royalan

...I need Watson to channel James Cameron at Ubisoft's E3 2009 conference and run this clock out with some nice-sounding nonsense.

aceface

They'll shut him down, I don't think he gets unlimited time on this.

The biggest challenge for Davis/Watson here is that the majority of the Senate and probably Texans (or at least voting Texans) are against them. Democracy in action.

Mabef

Banned
I'd hate to be in Watson's shoes right now. I doubt he woke up this morning thinking he'd be the final stretch.

Enron

Banned
There's got to be a mechanism for the chair to stop the endless inquiries and whatnot after the filibuster fails. I assume the chair will use it at some point.

This is impenatrable for a non american viewer. It's great for voice samples though, if someone felt like it this guy would be an ideal autotune target, he talks slowly enough that you have nice seperation and melodic capability within the notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom