• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I don't understand how he can just not cite the rule and move to close. Does this mean that if he is wrong about the rule, whatever happens afterward could possibly be thrown out in some way?

sangreal

I don't understand how he can just not cite the rule and move to close. Does this mean that if he is wrong about the rule, whatever happens afterward could possibly be thrown out in some way?

No, they can object (and I'm surprised they didn't), but then it goes to the floor for a vote is my understanding

What a horrible end.

What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

720-2.jpg

mackaveli

I don't think this guy gets unlimited time, doesn't look good.

What if someone does a parliamentary inquiry? and interrupts him? can that buy time.

This will really sad if Watson has to stop speaking cause he reached the limit and they vote to pass this bill.

It's amazing how many of the actors during this drama are here today because of section four and five of the Voting Right Act which were struck down today. For instance, Donna Campbell won her primary race against longtime Senator Jeff Wentworth. Similarly, David Dewhurst would have been in the U.S. Senate (instead of Ted Cruz) were it not for the redistricting maps drawn up by the legislature, ruled out of whack by a DC district court, extending the 2012 elections by months.

Zoe

They need to give him 3 warnings too though, right? I'm sure he can somehow avoid going offtopic three times for 45 minutes...

He picked up a warning earlier in the day I believe. Or that could have been one of the other guys.

Can someone explain go me what is going on right now.
Sen Watson is being forced to close on the motion to table his motion to appeal. When he's done talking, they'll vote on whether to table. It'll pass when it does, and then they'll go on to vote on the bill. It'll pass and TX abortion clinics will be subject to onerous regulations.

I think someone mentioned they can object to his closing statements, if the objection causes them to pass beyond midnight, does it still end as if the filibuster went through?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom