• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

Two things, furthest you guys have gotten on pure? I think I got to level 24 before gameover. Im not good, but I feel like im getting better. Definitely just as addicting as super star dust/resogun.

And when your going through the level transition rings what do the hearts mean?

Just from observation I think they are 1,000 points each which means you've hit the sweet spot. Ideally you want all hearts all the time, but it is very difficult (for me at least).

Loving this game soo much.... that I'm thinking about picking up Space Giraffe on steam as well.. Anyone play it? how's it compare?

Space Giraffe plays very different from T2K or TxK. In SG you can "bully" the enemies, when they are on the edge of the grid. This means it's possible to ram the enemies and push them from the grid. The more enemies you bully away, the more points you get. To do this the right way is the only way to get a good score in the game. In Tempest, it's your task to prevent the enemies from reaching you, in SG it's the opposite.
I never really got into SG, but the graphics are great, after a few levels the effects get very intense and it looks like your whole TV is melting down.

Geengrenzuh

Neo Member
Spaced out in the train back from work. Peeps peeking at my vita screen were getting seizures from the awesomeness on display. Managed to get a top 50 survival score in that sitting. Kinda proud of that! (While it lasts:)
Gonna grab that soundtrack too when it's available. Booming stuff.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This game is starting to piss me off. The yellow things that basically lock on to you for an instant kill can eat a dick. And now I go back for more...

I'm at work and didn't feel like reading through a big OT to find the price. Yeah I could google that, I was just asking because you would think something like price would be listed in the OP of an OT.

Also, thanks for taking the time to write a snarky reply, but not provide the information I was asking for.

Wow. All I said was, "can we get a price in the OP of the OT ffs". I'll admit the ffs was unnecessary, but I did apologize for that. And it's a valid point, you included nearly every other piece of info except the price, which is relevant for a digital title.

I already know the price, you're not really spiting me at this point, you're just being a jerk. Other people might want that info too.

Guy, we're just asking you to lighten up the interaction. Thus far in the thread, it's been "ffs," "snarky," and "jerk." Lose the chip on your shoulder and just contribute to the community of what's turning out to be a phenomenal game.

Also, these OTs are fan made - they're not a service that's provided to you, so there's no "required" information in them. There's obviously a huge amount of effort put into it, so instead of being expectant, just suggest it as an improvement and let's all move forward.

More importantly, price aside, just buy the game and enjoy it, it's fucking incredible.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
This game is starting to piss me off. The yellow things that basically lock on to you for an instant kill can eat a dick. And now I go back for more...

I find it works if you either spot them early ie as soon as they hit the web you're ready to shoot them, or you stay away and wait for the buzzing sound of them eelectrifying and then get them. Well most of the time. They are bastards though.

Nuklear

Banned
I was really worried about the games soundtrack but it's actually better than Tempest 2k's and I really loved the soundtrack in that game too. Jeff really made a perfect game, imho at least when it comes to Tempest.

I'm pretty disappointed Giant Bomb doesn't even have at least a preview of this up yet. The site just isn't what it's used to be I guess. I really look forward to what they think too.

Nymphae

Banned
Guy, we're just asking you to lighten up the interaction. Thus far in the thread, it's been "ffs," "snarky," and "jerk." Lose the chip on your shoulder and just contribute to the community of what's turning out to be a phenomenal game.

I admitted I was perhaps too harsh in my initial wording, and apologized. I was trying to contribute by getting price included in the OP, which I felt was relevant information. I regret not asking nicely enough.

The FFS? Yeah, my bad, I said sorry already. The "snarky" was appropriately directed at snark, and ditto the jerk comment. I'm not sure how it's helpful to the community to not include the pricing info in the OP, purely out of spite for another member of the forum (who already knows the info, which means the spiting is really only hurting remaining members of the community who want to know that information.)

Also, I'm purchasing the game right now :)

Finally remembered to buy this game. Fifteen minutes ago, I was completely unenthused about Tempest. I've played the original, and I had a SNES cart that had Tempest 2000, I think, so I've played it plenty... Just thought Defender and Galaga were clearly superior. But, GAF filled my ear with tales of this dev, and I want to support my Vita, and I -love- the trend of reimagined classics like the Galaga and Pac Man Championship Edition games, so I bought it.

Music's great. I like how quick it gets you into the game. Graphics look awesome, music is even better.

I played a few levels, and the missing piece fell into place.

This game doesn't reward accuracy at all!

Now we're getting somewhere. Still not clear on fighting enemies that reach the rim without jumping - Do they need to be moving to pass them? Whatever, I'll figure it out. I'll figure it all out.

Shaneus

I admitted I was perhaps too harsh in my initial wording, and apologized. I was trying to contribute by getting price included in the OP, which I felt was relevant information. I regret not asking nicely enough.

The FFS? Yeah, my bad, I said sorry already. The "snarky" was appropriately directed at snark, and ditto the jerk comment. I'm not sure how it's helpful to the community to not include the pricing info in the OP, purely out of spite for another member of the forum (who already knows the info, which means the spiting is really only hurting remaining members of the community who want to know that information.)

FWIW, the only reason I didn't update the OP this morning (around 6 hours ago here in Australia) is because I was getting ready for work and didn't have the time to format/post the discounted/regular prices, let alone create a proper header for it. The spite thing was something I threw in there because I'd just woken up and don't react well to criticism when I'm still tired :)

Rest assured I'll be updating everything in the OP after I get home from work and dinner tonight, which will probably be in another 7-8 hours or so.

PS.
My apologies, I didn't mean to come off as rude, should have left out the ffs lol, I was just acronym happy while typing the sentence I guess. I appreciate all the work people put into OTs, they are generally fantastic.
Other acronyms/shorthand that would've sounded better than asking someone a question/favour, followed by "for fuck's sake": BTW, FWIW, j/k etc. :)

Mr. Hyde

I should have been playing this tonight on my vita. The vita I ordered off eBay came but amazon messed up my memory card order. They apologized and gave me a $20.00 promotional credit, so I can't really complain. The wait until it, hopefully, comes Saturday will be painful.

Skyzard

Banned
Really glad this game is getting good reviews.

I find it works if you either spot them early ie as soon as they hit the web you're ready to shoot them, or you stay away and wait for the buzzing sound of them eelectrifying and then get them. Well most of the time. They are bastards though.

In the Kiss of Death stage - they seem to fire as soon as you encounter them, but in earlier and later stages you seem to have a bit more time.

Changes on different levels?

Shaneus

I should have been playing this tonight on my vita. The vita I ordered off eBay came but amazon messed up my memory card order. They apologized and gave me a $20.00 promotional credit, so I can't really complain. The wait until it, hopefully, comes Saturday will be painful.
Doesn't the Vita have around 500mb built-in memory? TxK is only 105mb or so, and I'm sure I've heard before of people installing one or two games to internal mem.

Skyzard

Banned
Doesn't the Vita have around 500mb built-in memory? TxK is only 105mb or so, and I'm sure I've heard before of people installing one or two games to internal mem.

Nope :(

Version 2000 has a 1GB that can be used when there is no memory card in there though.

Boo :( Have you tried?

No, but I remember other people grabbing a vita without a memory card and being out of luck for a few days too, a popular complaint.

Shaneus

Nope :(

Version 2000 has a 1GB that can be used when there is no memory card in there though.
Boo :( Have you tried?

The only enemy I've found can't be killed unless with AI or superzapper is that little sparkly thing that wanders around (back and forth) for ages then camps on the rim like that enemy in Qix:
IenkCSf.jpg

(one in the upper-right, another in the lower-left of the unclaimed/black field)

Deimo5

The only thing i don't like is selecting a level and going in with one life, getting a game over in 2 seconds and having to restart from the main menu again.
I think it could do with something like a Hotline Miami level of instant restart, it kinda disrupts the flow.
Also sometimes doing the inbetween level ring thing I seem to be stuck on the outside or can't really move and get no points, not sure what's going on there.

Skyzard

Banned
Grinding my teeth like mad playing this game. Might have to stick my tongue out to prevent it and look like a weirdo lol.

Shaneus

The only thing i don't like is selecting a level and going in with one life, getting a game over in 2 seconds and having to restart from the main menu again.
I think it could do with something like a Hotline Miami level of instant restart, it kinda disrupts the flow.
Also sometimes doing the inbetween level ring thing I seem to be stuck on the outside or can't really move and get no points, not sure what's going on there.
Jump back to the last level where you have more lives. Simple!
I know. Not so simple. But fun!

PS. In-between level ring thing? Oh, the bonus level that's like the bonus level from Earthworm Jim. Are you using the d-pad to move? Don't think motion controls work there. I haven't tried the joystick, but I assume that works, too. It's harder to get momentum up in that as well, at least compared to the proper game mode.

Deimo5

PS. In-between level ring thing? Oh, the bonus level that's like the bonus level from Earthworm Jim. Are you using the d-pad to move? Don't think motion controls work there. I haven't tried the joystick, but I assume that works, too. It's harder to get momentum up in that as well, at least compared to the proper game mode.

It's inconsistent so I don't know what to do really. Sticks, d-pad, tilting, nothing works, then next time it's fine.

I absolutely love everything about this game except for the friends leaderboard. I have to scroll past so many "Has no score" to see people who have actually played. It's so frustrating and unintuitive. And it was just patched so it will probably be a while before this issue is addressed, if at all....

Skyzard

Banned
I absolutely love everything about this game except for the friends leaderboard. I have to scroll past so many "Has no score" to see people who have actually played. It's so frustrating and unintuitive. And it was just patched so it will probably be a while before this issue is addressed, if at all....

Please yes this^

Is everyone on version 1.06 in-game, bottom left at the start menu. 1.01 in the vita system - "corrected display of friend scoreboards" strangely enough.

Love this game so much, just this. The 2000 friend limit means...loads of friends.

Just got halfway there trophy, pretty chuffed! I said it before and others have, but I really love the progression system in classic and the pure mode for scoring and then survival too. Would pay for any dlc modes, even just chill ones like visualizers with mini-gameplay :)

Sometimes, if you are quick, you can press Start to pause and then select to exit, which is faster. Not ideal but just a tip.

Can't wait to freak out some public transport travelers next week! Max brightness?

Let's have some goddamn impressions then.

Games just getting right under my skin. I hate to say it but could this be... the vitas finest game?

Quick question re: classic mode - is there a way to just jump right back into the level where youre at after a boot up without having to scroll past all the other levels? I feel like there's gotta be, and im a tardbot for not knowing it, but I just can't find it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?

Games just getting right under my skin. I hate to say it but could this be... the vitas finest game?

Quick question re: classic mode - is there a way to just jump right back into the level where youre at after a boot up without having to scroll past all the other levels? I feel like there's gotta be, and im a tardbot for not knowing it, but I just can't find it.

The Vita has a lot of those =)
I don't feel like there is. I want that patched in.

Foxix Von

I'm not sure there's a quick continue option. The best I've found is that if you press up and down on the D pad it will skip through groups of levels rather than sifting through them individually.

Hellers

Really glad this game is getting good reviews.

In the Kiss of Death stage - they seem to fire as soon as you encounter them, but in earlier and later stages you seem to have a bit more time.

Changes on different levels?

Yup. Jeff does that a lot. You'll find the behaviours of enemies can change from level to level. It ramps up the challenge until you learn the patterns. Don't forget you can see enemies before they hit the web. The approach as coloured dots from the distance.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Thanks for confirming, quite a lot can be different too, even like some bullets that enemies fire are sometimes invulnerable, sometimes not. Found myself relying on looking for the dots as they approach a lot more often as it can get pretty hectic and hard to keep track of things otherwise.

Up to level 64 in classic now, got 4 lives too. Hopefully will get to actually use the
dual wield
pickup on enemies in upcoming levels, recently it's been popping up right at the end.

Havoc2049

Picked up a Vita, 8gb memory card, Persona 4 Golden and of course TxK today. The Vita was kinda hard to find...my local Gamestop didn't have any in and the Target across the way only had one left. Kinda reminds me of the Jaguar at retail back in the day....
Yikes! lol ;-p

PSN id: Havoc2049
Let's get it on, lassie!
WP_20140214_005_zps628eb381.jpg

Shaneus

Oh my god. Several things clicked in my head today while playing this, it's possibly important that I share:

* When in a level with those electrical zapper yellow things, timing your shots is important. So until you get the maximum firepower, don't hold X to shoot constantly, just shoot when you need to. That way you'll always time your hits right with these guys, rather than maybe missing them because there was a gap in your fire.

* Powerup order is different on every level! I noticed sometimes I was getting jump early, others was the droid, others again was something else (except I think max firepower is always last, or second-last to the wave triangle bonus things). So I'm sure there's strategy around that... either way, make a point of mentally noting which levels favour which powerups and strategise your game accordingly.

Oh my god. Several things clicked in my head today while playing this, it's possibly important that I share:

* When in a level with those electrical zapper yellow things, timing your shots is important. So until you get the maximum firepower, don't hold X to shoot constantly, just shoot when you need to. That way you'll always time your hits right with these guys, rather than maybe missing them because there was a gap in your fire.

* Powerup order is different on every level! I noticed sometimes I was getting jump early, others was the droid, others again was something else (except I think max firepower is always last, or second-last to the wave triangle bonus things). So I'm sure there's strategy around that... either way, make a point of mentally noting which levels favour which powerups and strategise your game accordingly.

The best way to combat the zappers is to jump and fire, even if they are doing their shock they will not kill you.

As great as the game is I would love it on the bigger screen :(

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
picked it up with Danganronpa just now.

No idea what I'm to expect, except for epileptic seizures :p

gazliddon

Neo Member
* Powerup order is different on every level!

Not every level. If you restart best and complete the level the next power up will be extra life.

I love this game and touches like that make me love it even more :D

#14 on Classic and #41 on Pure. My eyes are going giddy :(

Shaneus

Not every level. If you restart best and complete the level the next power up will be extra life.

I love this game and touches like that make me love it even more :D

#14 on Classic and #41 on Pure. My eyes are going giddy :(
Yeah, I don't consider the 1-Up to be a powerup as such, completely different graphic etc. I was just more surprised once it clicked that it wasn't just that it had a different order to T2K, but it also had a different order for each level. Really makes you think about strategies more once you finally beat a difficult stage.

The best way to combat the zappers is to jump and fire, even if they are doing their shock they will not kill you.
I know, but regarding my second point, if you're on a level that doesn't give you jump early (or at all) then you need to think about how you use that fire button. Holding it down isn't always the best approach when you have to time when your shots will hit something.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
1.57 million here, although could do better, lost a lot of lives on a single level after getting trapped early on in it.

I'm going to boast that I got 1.8m yesterday. Mainly because in about a few days time I'll have peaked and you will all have overtaken me (if you haven't already).

Shaneus

There's different gfx for the extra life pick up?
Isn't there? I thought the regular powerups were green cross symbols while the extra life symbol was orange and yellow and said "extra life"? And when the latter appears, the voiceover says "extra", when you pick it up it says "life".

Unless we're getting modes confused... but I don't think so :)

I'm going to boast that I got 1.8m yesterday. Mainly because in about a few days time I'll have peaked and you will all have overtaken me (if you haven't already).

Damn you, I shall be trying over the weekend :)

Isn't there? I thought the regular powerups were green cross symbols while the extra life symbol was orange and yellow and said "extra life"? And when the latter appears, the voiceover says "extra", when you pick it up it says "life".

Yeah there is a different graphic for extra lives in pure mode. that's the only one I've done so far.

gazliddon

Neo Member

Yeah there is, I'm just an idiot :D I think it's probably classed as a pick up though. I managed to get one at level end and got YES YES YESSED.

I love the two handed EXTRA ... LIFE thing, adds some real drama in on the later levels :D

Shaneus

I hit 60 on the survival leaderboards. Conclusion: not many people are playing survival.
I haven't looked... do we have any idea how many people are playing this? I guess a quick look at Classic would answer the question, I'll see if I can find out. For curiosity's sake.

Yasawas

I was worryingly high on the leaderboards earlier, I hope that's not an indication it's selling poorly. Everyone on my friends list seems to be in the top 1000.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well I'm definitely getting better. Got up to level 52 with a score of 2.8mil on pure mode. Would have been higher if I figured out how to do the flying through the rings bonus stages earlier. Wasn't until the third one of those bonus stages on that run that I figured out what to do. On the first two of that bonus stage type I didn't make it through a single ring. But yeah I should be number 3 in the world on pure mode once the leaderboards update my score to it.

Top Bottom