• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

Shaneus

Holy shit, this game just keeps throwing shit at you. Just hit level 50 in Classic (working my way through that before tackling Pure again) and you know, you have some right cunts of levels, then you get an amazing surprise of a level that's basic as hell and feels like a warm blanket. Then the next one has a few different enemies but OH GOD IT FOLDS BACK ON ITSELF AND IN HALF AROUND AGAIN (that cross level, I think just before 50?).

Everything about this game is just sublime and... damnit, just so perfectly executed for what it is. Give me this game over literally any "AAA" ever. Done on a fraction of the budget (though I suspect curry expenses during production could nudge the expenditure for GTA5...) and infinitely more rewarding to play. The more you pay attention to it, the more you *will* get out.

I'm kind of proud of this game. Proud for Minter and Giles (obviously), proud for the community of people who love it (because it means we share a common set of ideals we want/appreciate in games), for Shahid as vindication for his push for indies on Vita. It reminds me that "indie games" don't have to be from the same flavour-of-the-month cookie-cutter ("8-bit graphics", "rogue-like", "voxel"...) to be either reviewed well or popular.

I literally bought a Vita for this game when it was announced last year (it was the straw that broke the camel's back, a back weighted down with Wipeout and Lumines) and it's only now I feel I'll start getting my money's worth from the thing.

Damn, the above sounds hyperbolic as hell :/

Yeah there is, I'm just an idiot :D I think it's probably classed as a pick up though. I managed to get one at level end and got YES YES YESSED.

I love the two handed EXTRA ... LIFE thing, adds some real drama in on the later levels :D
Holy shit, I just noticed your name as a "Contributing Dude of Significance". Nice :)

As great as the game is I would love it on the bigger screen :(

Really? I feel like this is the kind of game Vita was made for.

I was worryingly high on the leaderboards earlier, I hope that's not an indication it's selling poorly. Everyone on my friends list seems to be in the top 1000.

Sadly, I think this thread indicates that too. This is the kind of game GAF loves to get down on, the fact that it's been out for several days and the OT is only at 10 pages or so (and many repeat posters) means thats probably the case. Sigh.

Nymphae

Banned
Let's have some goddamn impressions then.

I played it for maybe 40 minutes last night, I really wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy it since I'm not huge into the retro-arcade thing and I've never played any version of Tempest. Also Llamasoft's previous games really didn't thrill me.

That said, this game is pretty freakin' awesome. I couldn't put it down, the graphics are suitably trippy, the music is right up my alley and a perfect fit for the game. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of the systems, but so far I'm really digging it.

Shaneus

Sadly, I think this thread indicates that too. This is the kind of game GAF loves to get down on, the fact that it's been out for several days and the OT is only at 10 pages or so (and many repeat posters) means thats probably the case. Sigh.
Several? It's only been two really... it's only just ticked over to the 15th here in AU and we basically only got it on the morning of the 13th. I have faith the reviews will hold some value sales-wise and push hard.

You also need to think that not everyone who's bought it since it came out is going to be as intensely into it as any of us. Maybe they're just getting their feet wet :)

I'm pretty confident this game will now sit with Mega Man 2-4 as my permanent bedtime gaming habit. Everything about this game is married together into one wonderful abstract early 80s cacophony, and I'm loving it. If it wasn't for Bayonetta 2 and some of the CRPGs coming out this year, I'd be thinking GOTY already.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.

Havoc2049

Several? It's only been two really... it's only just ticked over to the 15th here in AU and we basically only got it on the morning of the 13th. I have faith the reviews will hold some value sales-wise and push hard.

You also need to think that not everyone who's bought it since it came out is going to be as intensely into it as any of us. Maybe they're just getting their feet wet :)

Ya, hopefully with all the positive reviews, word will get around and the game will take off. Some of the bigger review sites still don't have reviews up. Once those are up, that should help as well.

I love that the jump sound is the jump sound from Pitfall! ;-D Good times!

Bikram

My Vita has become TxK and Olli Olli machine now. I feel no urge to go back to Persona 4. Whenever I start the vita it's just for these two games.

I really hope both these games sell well.

Number45

Joined the seven digit club. Feels good man!

iotSEXB.jpg

3LTZZeX.jpg

I also scrolled to the bottom of the high score list for pure:

... looks like it cuts off at 1,000 so we can't use that to check the numbers. :(

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I feel that when Im not playing this game Im wastin my time :(

Number45

I love how I look at these types of game as time fillers - games you can pick up for a few minutes and enjoy - but a single game lasts at least half an hour. Surge Deluxe is the same.

elhav

Got a high score but for some reason it doesn't show on the list online, and I am connected and all. Odd. I'm supposed to be number 50-ish at survival mode when it updates :)

Only 300 and something on pure mode, but I'll improve.

Oh I'm actualy exactly 50 right now lol. Guess that's good.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I love how I look at these types of game as time fillers - games you can pick up for a few minutes and enjoy - but a single game lasts at least half an hour. Surge Deluxe is the same.

That's actually my biggest problem with this game. It isn't a game that's very good to pick up and play for a few minutes at all. There are far superior games on Vita for that type of experience. If you play this game you're in it for the long haul. Unless you're just going through individual levels on classic mode that is. It's a very good game, but it's certainly not going to be my go to pick up and play score attack for a few minutes game. It's more likely to be my go to score attack game when I've got a lot of time to spare.

Shinriji

That's actually my biggest problem with this game. It isn't a game that's very good to pick up and play for a few minutes at all. There are far superior games on Vita for that type of experience. If you play this game you're in it for the long haul. Unless you're just going through individual levels on classic mode that is. It's a very good game, but it's certainly not going to be my go to pick up and play score attack for a few minutes game. It's more likely to be my go to score attack game when I've got a lot of time to spare.

True. Just like Lumines, it takes a lot of time to build a nice score, and as Lumines, I will say "Let's see how much I can make in one game lap?"

The bonus rounds could be shorter as well.

Ah, Pitfall! I knew some of the sound effects were decided retro, but I couldn't place it. It's one you definitely know is an actual sound effect, not just a new one made to sound old. Thanks!

gazliddon

Neo Member
Holy shit, I just noticed your name as a "Contributing Dude of Significance". Nice :)

Ha! Yeah :D Really nice of them to credit me. I know Shahid @ Sony, knew Jeff and knew Shahid would love Jeff on the Vita. Helped sort out a meeting, went along to lend a helping hand on the biz stuff if needed.

It wasn't needed. I just sat and watched the fastest publishing deal ever seen assemble in front of me. About 20 minutes I'd say. It's taken me longer to hire a car.

Adore this game though, so happy it's getting some love :D

Shaneus

My Vita has become TxK and Olli Olli machine now. I feel no urge to go back to Persona 4. Whenever I start the vita it's just for these two games.

I really hope both these games sell well.
OlliOlli worth $15AUD?

Ha! Yeah :D Really nice of them to credit me. I know Shahid @ Sony, knew Jeff and knew Shahid would love Jeff on the Vita. Helped sort out a meeting, went along to lend a helping hand on the biz stuff if needed.

It wasn't needed. I just sat and watched the fastest publishing deal ever seen assemble in front of me. About 20 minutes I'd say. It's taken me longer to hire a car.

Adore this game though, so happy it's getting some love :D
So glad it can happy that easily now. Seems like it's been hellish at times for Jeff over the last 20 years or so, so I'm just relieved that the cards have finally dealt in his favour.

For those who might be curious, I stumbled across this video on YouTube as a suggested link (it was via the upload of Noise Pulse... saw your name under the comments there too, Gaz :p). Jeff Minter (Llamasoft) at PCW 1985 part 1
Brief summary: He liked tea as much in 1985 as he does now. Lots of Llamasoft knitwear.

Number45

OlliOlli is magnificent. It does have some stability issues for some, which might be worth considering because they've not been the quickest with a patch.

Nymphae

Banned
OlliOlli is magnificent. It does have some stability issues for some, which might be worth considering because they've not been the quickest with a patch.

Also the occasionally spotty touch screen controls are infuriating when you die and are just trying to press the restart button. There needs to be an option to use the face buttons for menu selection.

The crashes are pretty frustrating, I have no idea what's causing it at all. I have wi fi off, and sometimes it'll crash as soon as I boot and start a level. Other times I can play for hours and it never craps out. I think it's worth mentioning that I have yet to become pissed off at the crashes, I immediately boot it up again and get back into it. I have a pretty low tolerance for buggy games, but this game is just too amazing to care, for me anyway. I'm eagerly awaiting a patch though.

So glad it can happy that easily now. Seems like it's been hellish at times for Jeff over the last 20 years or so, so I'm just relieved that the cards have finally dealt in his favour.

What happened then? I still remember Llamatron and Revenge of the Mutant Camels! Awesome stuff

Shaneus

I would have payed full retail price for that game, but that's just me. The game is incredible in general, and a perfect match for Vita. Will easily be in my running for GOTY.
Yeah, but you might have it in for me though ;)

(Couldn't be arsed putting the prices in tonight, and it's way too late for me to even think about it. I'll put them in tomorrow. Promise :) )

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Completely trolling here, but I think this thread is proof that arcade gamers are the most civilised people on the internet. :)

Shaneus

Completely trolling here, but I think this thread is proof that arcade gamers are the most civilised people on the internet. :)
Have to be. Had to learn to be patient with the lack of games for our particular attention span ;)

Speaking of which, Ikaruga will be on Steam in a few days!!!

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah, but you might have it in for me though ;)

(Couldn't be arsed putting the prices in tonight, and it's way too late for me to even think about it. I'll put them in tomorrow. Promise :) )

lol no hard feelings. Seriously though, Olli Olli is incredible.

You guys make me want to be a member of ArcadeGAF, but I'm a scrub through and through, and I'm too obsessed with RPGs to fit in

Going to lunch to grab my Vita from home, I can't take it anymore

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You guys make me want to be a member of ArcadeGAF, but I'm a scrub through and through, and I'm too obsessed with RPGs to fit in

Going to lunch to grab my Vita from home, I can't take it anymore

I didn't know there was an ArcadeGAF! Woo! Seriously, arcade games are the purest, most engrossing games there are. I might even start a new thread gushing over them (and particularly shoot em ups of most varieties). They're also some of the most creative and are way way deeper than most people realise.

gazliddon

Neo Member
I didn't know there was an ArcadeGAF! Woo! Seriously, arcade games are the purest, most engrossing games there are. I might even start a new thread gushing over them (and particularly shoot em ups of most varieties). They're also some of the most creative and are way way deeper than most people realise.

I love arcade games. Both types: Robotron and the all the other ones :D

So, dumb question, but what exactly are you supposed to do between levels when it tells you to steer toward the center for max bonus points? I've tried the left analog stick as well as tilting the damn Vita like crazy, but nothing really seems to make a difference.

Nice idea. There's a broad range of genres and some of the big ones already have dedicated threads, like shmups and fighters. But a thread about classic games, cabinets, emulation and discovering hidden gems would be awesome.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So, dumb question, but what exactly are you supposed to do between levels when it tells you to steer toward the center for max bonus points? I've tried the left analog stick as well as tilting the damn Vita like crazy, but nothing really seems to make a difference.

Yeah I had trouble with this when I first started. You use the left stick to try and get to the centre. Controls are inverted. You'll know if you're in the right place because you'll be getting points.

BuzzJive

It seems to calibrate right as you end your level. So make sure you hold the Vita steady as you finish a board and it should be a lot easier. A lot of times I'll drop the Vita in to my lap or something right after and calibrate it all wrong and then it feels like it's not working at all. But if you hold it perfectly still, you can almost do nothing and it'll get good points the whole time.

I use the motion controls and can almost nail it every time. It's subtle, and the controls are inverted.

Yeah I had trouble with this when I first started. You use the left stick to try and get to the centre. Controls are inverted. You'll know if you're in the right place because you'll be getting points.

It seems to calibrate right as you end your level. So make sure you hold the Vita steady as you finish a board and it should be a lot easier. A lot of times I'll drop the Vita in to my lap or something right after and calibrate it all wrong and then it feels like it's not working at all. But if you hold it perfectly still, you can almost do nothing and it'll get good points the whole time.

I use the motion controls and can almost nail it every time. It's subtle, and the controls are inverted.

Thanks all. Guess I'll have to pay attention to how I'm holding the Vita at the end of a level. It's weird, I've gotten the tunnel the fly at the screen once (and did notice points), but otherwise it appears in a zoomed out 3/4 isometric view waaaaaaaaaay on the bottom right of the screen. Really confusing!

Thanks all. Guess I'll have to pay attention to how I'm holding the Vita at the end of a level. It's weird, I've gotten the tunnel the fly at the screen once (and did notice points), but otherwise it appears in a zoomed out 3/4 isometric view waaaaaaaaaay on the bottom right of the screen. Really confusing!
I also have this issue.

Basically, you need to hold the Vita in "normal" orientation.

Playing laying down (with the screen effectively facing the floor) the rings are locked in the lower left corner for me. Sitting up again
sees everything is as it should be.

I think the gyro code needs changing to cope with all orientations?

I also have this issue.

Basically, you need to hold the Vita in "normal" orientation.

Playing laying down (with the screen effectively facing the floor) the rings are locked in the lower left corner for me. Sitting up again
sees everything is as it should be.

I think the gyro code needs changing to cope with all orientations?

So holding it normally is with it facing the ceiling? Hope they do change the gyro code, cuz I never hold the Vita like that.

CozMick

Banned
Absolutely loving this game, never played tempest so jumped in through gaf hype and dont regret it.

Incredible, havent touched my ps4 since buying it, crazy.

Apologies if this is obvious, but you're the little white dot in the middle hey? That's what you're kind of "steering." It is really confusing for sure, but once you nail the subtlety of it, you'll be banging out Yeahs in no time.

So holding it normally is with it facing the ceiling? Hope they do change the gyro code, cuz I never hold the Vita like that.

Ah, this might be it. No, try holding it in front of you upright. That's how i'm bangin it

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I think the gyro thing depends on how you're holding it when you boot up the game. If you're laying on your back playing then that will be closer to center.

I love arcade games. Both types: Robotron and the all the other ones :D

Ditto, that is probably why I enjoyed yours and Jazs opinions back in the Zzap days. Robotron, Smash TV, Total Carnage...... *sheds tear as he remembers the good old days*

I think the gyro thing depends on how you're holding it when you boot up the game. If you're laying on your back playing then that will be closer to center.

Hmmm, that would make all kinds of sense as the system is always flat when I start games. Get to try in 30 minutes. Thanks again to everyone who replied..

Top Bottom