• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

Shaneus

I didn't know there was an ArcadeGAF! Woo! Seriously, arcade games are the purest, most engrossing games there are. I might even start a new thread gushing over them (and particularly shoot em ups of most varieties). They're also some of the most creative and are way way deeper than most people realise.
Yeah, but we'd have to be specific about what arcade games ArcadeGAF is about. Otherwise we'll get all those stupid fighting game fans in there as well ;)

There needs to be an important line drawn somewhere, but I don't know how :/

He did Minotron 2112 for iOS which is fantastic as well. I would love to see that and Minotaur Rescue on the Vita.

screen480x480.jpeg

4Sv8NQ4.jpg

He also did Llamatron on the Atari ST back in the 1991, still one of my favorite Llamasoft games.

Number45

Am I mistaken, or can you guarantee an extra life by making your first kill on a stage a non-standard enemy (i.e. not a flipper)?

TxK avatars in order?
I use these eyes pretty much everywhere but I'd gladly change to a TxK one for a while.

EDIT: also, up to 85th with 1.38m. Improving, but I still panic too easily.

mrsmr2

Word of warning: I found a bug with your score not being recorded if you don't press X after a game and instead, leave the game to return to the title screen on its own.

I've had this a couple of times and it's because I've been winding down, listening to the music of the level I died on.

Skyzard

Banned
Level 91 and made the top 10 on classic. Loving it, can't wait to replay on pure and even just going through classic and making sure I have loads of lives for each level.

I've never even played Tempest or Space Giraffe before, newcomers grab it if you like arcade at all and can handle some lights.

Skyzard

Banned
^When you're laying down the gyro just isn't very good (even with games like flower etc), need to be sitting up a tiny bit. I think it re-calibrates between each level too.

Ios gridrunner deserves a vita port as much as Llamasoft's others that were mentioned.

I would like to play it with a controller and not cover the screen when playing

Just tried booting game laying down and playing straight away in the same orientation. Gyro controls still not working as expected. Hmm.

Didn't work for me either. Have to tilt the Vita way to the right to get the tunnel to center at first, then it's kind of a crap shoot after.

Great game though. I think torus just fried my brain.

jengo

So as the levels randomly rotate, controls inverse as well right? It seems very random when controls flip, and if I'm supposed to keep track somehow...I'm afraid I'll just go eat some Indian food ;)

Skyzard

Banned
Completed classic! Got a nice number 3 in the rankings, sorry chalkcircle.

Level 99 was especially wild! Didn't have a clue but I rocked it ;)

Onto the pure mode for high scores now, hopefully get that pure skill trophy too. [edit-wasn't so hard, you can lose a life, just not die completely for that one].

BuzzJive

I snuck in just at 10th on Classic. Don't think I'll be there long though. Man I love some of those later boards. So awesome!

gazliddon

Neo Member
Ha! You bumped me then. I was classic top ten material. This morning? #12 :(

Managed to just get #9 in survival though.

Loving survival, not the super long play time needed for a Pure run and sphincter clenchingly tense at times.

:D

Those honking flowers in the 80s? What the fuck?

panda-zebra

Want to plough through Classic, but a bit stuck in early 70s. Keep telling myself 'i can do this' 'i can do this'...but "WHY CAN'T I DO THIS?!".

Keep going back for more but too much of an old fuck - T2K in 1994 never hurt this much.

Edgeward

I can get to 16th on pure. Making progress. Once I let an enemy get to the top in the later levels though, I am fucked.

Number45

So as the levels randomly rotate, controls inverse as well right? It seems very random when controls flip, and if I'm supposed to keep track somehow...I'm afraid I'll just go eat some Indian food ;)
The controls are consistent relative to the web. Keeping track of the orientation of the web is the problem, for me at least.

SmokyDave

Man, I just can't get going this morning. Not an ideal game to play with a hangover.

I also can't get the gyro-tunnel-level break thing to work for love nor money. Must be the way I hold the Vita or something. It just sits in the bottom left of the screen. I've given up trying and now I just use those parts as rest breaks.

panda-zebra

I also can't get the gyro-tunnel-level break thing to work for love nor money. Must be the way I hold the Vita or something. It just sits in the bottom left of the screen. I've given up trying and now I just use those parts as rest breaks.

Is that the 3rd bonus stage type? The first one was weird because it uses flight controls with the up and down directional controls and that never sits well with me. The 2nd one is much more relaxing and super smooth, the music really helps, but I'm not 100% sure if I should be using the top star part of the player as the bit to keep in the green or more the trail behind. I managed it easily the first time but failed each time after that.

EDIT: Ah crap, just as I hit post I realised what you meant. The wireframe shapes in the starfield between each level. D'oh! As someone mentioned previously, try to hold it in a "regular" position as you would sat upright, it seems to normalise here. After that, use the left stick to correct the course, allowing for left to move you right etc. and either stick with that for fine adjustments or tilt very very slightly. I have much more joy holding the Vita perfectly still the whole time and just using the stick. Get maybe 1-5 hearts each time depending on how twisty it ends up being.

SmokyDave

Is that the 3rd bonus stage type? The first one was weird because it uses flight controls with the up and down directional controls and that never sits well with me. The 2nd one is much more relaxing and super smooth, the music really helps, but I'm not 100% sure if I should be using the top star part of the player as the bit to keep in the green or more the trail behind. I managed it easily the first time but failed each time after that.
It's just the normal bit that pops up inbetween every level. You turn into a little white spark thing and you're supposed to centre it so that the rings fly directly towards the screen. I just can't get it to work (perhaps because I sit at an odd angle when I'm playing my Vita on the sofa).

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Bomb goes off when you touch the screen. Could you be touching it by accident?

I considered this. There's no way this can be the case. It happens far too frequently and my thumbs never go off the analog stick or face buttons. Something else must be causing it. By the way touching the screen to set off the bomb is such an unnecessary design decision since you can also do it by tapping circle. I have no idea why they did it other than to shoehorn a random touchscreen feature for no reason.

fog

I can't get the transitions to work either. Hopefully we get the option to switch the motion controls off and just use the analogue stick.

I considered this. There's no way this can be the case. It happens far too frequently and my thumbs never go off the analog stick or face buttons. Something else must be causing it. By the way touching the screen to set off the bomb is such an unnecessary design decision since you can also do it by tapping circle. I have no idea why they did it other than to shoehorn a random touchscreen feature for no reason.
IIRC Jeff said tapping the screen lets you position the zapper where you want whereas when pressing O it is just emitted from the ship. (It's not actually a bomb, the zapper kills things as it moves down the web so being able to position it does have its advantages)

SkylineRKR

It's just the normal bit that pops up inbetween every level. You turn into a little white spark thing and you're supposed to centre it so that the rings fly directly towards the screen. I just can't get it to work (perhaps because I sit at an odd angle when I'm playing my Vita on the sofa).

Its oddball, it works sometimes. But the gyro is fucked up, you have to heavily tilt the Vita to one side or the screen angle won't change. It seems the angle the screen starts at is essential. Sometimes I start centered and rack up 750's.

It should be patched.

panda-zebra

I've had something similar but just a few times, supertapper going off when playing without a O button press. I thought it might have been a new powerup I was collecting as the timing seemed right at one point, but my finger wandering onto the screen somehow makes sense.

Sucks that you're having it ruin your game whatever is causing it, maybe thoroughly clean the screen while vita is off and calibrate that shit up.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
IIRC Jeff said tapping the screen lets you position the zapper where you want whereas when pressing O it is just emitted from the ship. (It's not actually a bomb, the zapper kills things as it moves down the web so being able to position it does have its advantages)

From my experience it just kills everything on screen no matter where they are. That's as close to a definition of a bomb as you can get. I do see an electric thing moving down when I use it, but I honestly I can't see the adavantage of choosing where to place it when it kills everything anyway.

I've had something similar but just a few times, supertapper going off when playing without a O button press. I thought it might have been a new powerup I was collecting as the timing seemed right at one point, but my finger wandering onto the screen somehow makes sense.

Sucks that you're having it ruin your game whatever is causing it, maybe thoroughly clean the screen while vita is off and calibrate that shit up.
My Vita is pretty clean. I'll try that though.

sheaaaa

From my experience it just kills everything on screen no matter where they are. That's as close to a definition of a bomb as you can get. I do see an electric thing moving down when I use it, but I honestly I can't see the adavantage of choosing where to place it when it kills everything anyway.

My Vita is pretty clean. I'll try that though.

I've had the supertapper not kill the enemy that was holding on to me on the rim, after I activated it with the touch screen.

Bought this on a whim as it was getting such positive feedback on here and after a few goes I don't really 'get' it and am kinda regretting buying it.
I don't like the feel of the controls at all. I think I need some kind of tutorial as I'm not entirely certain of what the hell I'm doing.

sheaaaa

Bought this on a whim as it was getting such positive feedback on here and after a few goes I don't really 'get' it and am kinda regretting buying it.
I don't like the feel of the controls at all. I think I need some kind of tutorial as I'm not entirely certain of what the hell I'm doing.

What don't you like about the controls? The first 4 levels are meant to serve as the tutorial, but it's a bit bare bones.

Couple of tips:
- Don't hold down fire all the time, because you can't shoot continuously. Do it in bursts - hold it down for a second or so down a few lanes where enemies are, then move to the next area and fire again

- If enemies are on the rim with you, creep slowly beside them by tapping the dpad lightly, or nudging the analogue stick slightly, and you can still kill them. The L button works for this too apparently.

- Always, always get power-ups, because the balance of this game is so perfectly pitched that you really need them. Some are just score boosts, but you never know what you're gonna get next.

test_account

XP-39C²
If you move the left analog stick (maybe it works with the d-pad too) a bit before the triangles show up, its easier to center it, in my opinion. You can also use the Vita's gyro sensors to center.

What don't you like about the controls? The first 4 levels are meant to serve as the tutorial, but it's a bit bare bones.

Couple of tips:
- Don't hold down fire all the time, because you can't shoot continuously. Do it in bursts - hold it down for a second or so down a few lanes where enemies are, then move to the next area and fire again

- If enemies are on the rim with you, creep slowly beside them by tapping the dpad lightly, or nudging the analogue stick slightly, and you can still kill them. The L button works for this too apparently.

- Always, always get power-ups, because the balance of this game is so perfectly pitched that you really need them. Some are just score boosts, but you never know what you're gonna get next.

Thanks for the tips.
What I don't like about the controls is that, say I'm on the bottom of a circular grid thing, I press right to go right, but then I continue round the loop and am going left on the screen while still pressing right. That confuses me.

And then the gyro bits are random. Sometimes I fly through all the loops without moving/pressing anything, other times the loops are way off to the side no movement or pressing will get me near them, i feel like i have no control.

Also, yes, the enemies on the rim confuse me. Some times I have managed to kill them, sometimes touching them kills me. I haven't been able to ascertain the difference.

sheaaaa

Thanks for the tips.
What I don't like about the controls is that, say I'm on the bottom of a circular grid thing, I press right to go right, but then I continue round the loop and am going left on the screen while still pressing right. That confuses me.

And then the gyro bits are random. Sometimes I fly through all the loops without moving/pressing anything, other times the loops are way off to the side no movement or pressing will get me near them, i feel like i have no control.

Also, yes, the enemies on the rim confuse me. Some times I have managed to kill them, sometimes touching them kills me. I haven't been able to ascertain the difference.

I get lost with the left/right controls too, especially when the stages start to warp and split apart. Can't help you there.

The gyro parts, I've never really had a problem. I've found tilting the Vita makes broad movements, so once you're near the centre stop tilting and use the stick or dpad to make smaller movements. Controls are reversed here, so tapping up makes you go down.

And the rim guys, try to take it really slow when you approach. I think the L button lets you lean into the lane beside you without moving, so you may want to practice with that. If you're not confident still, remember that you can jump and take them out safely once you get that power-up.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Why the ost isnt out yet

Phew, reached the halfway point in classic mode tonight! It's so great when a new music track kicks in after you've been stuck on one level for ages. =p

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Improved my Pure score from 750k to about 1.35 million so should be just outside of the top 100. Also got around 850k on survival. I was at rank 12 when I got it yesterday but looking today I had dropped about 14 places. Will take another stab tomorrow.

You notice how your ship is shaped like a pair of crab claws? Well you can only shoot out of one 'claw' based on the last direction travelled. If an enemy is on your left, move your ship to the left and when firing..... you will see. That might explain why you can only kill them sometimes.

Shaneus

You notice how your ship is shaped like a pair of crab claws? Well you can only shoot out of one 'claw' based on the last direction travelled. If an enemy is on your left, move your ship to the left and when firing..... you will see. That might explain why you can only kill them sometimes.
And if you hold the L button while trying to move left or right, you'll jink the ship enough to change the pincer it shoots from... but not to move it to another panel.

Thanks for the tips.
Perhaps think of it as you being the 6 on an analogue clock, and "right" is anti-clockwise and "left" is clockwise.
Movement in this type of game (and I'd have thought a good many others, but I could be wrong) is from the perspective of the ship, not a fixed-camera/third-person view. Think from the ship's view, not as a bystander.
Sounds like someone's stuck in the past, man.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Shit! I was so close to getting the world number 1 spot on survival. Got 1.2mil. The world number 1 is also on 1.2mil but slightly better. The annoying part is that my deaths were all due to silly mistakes that could have been avoided if I was paying more attention.

joeblow

Shit! I was so close to getting the world number 1 spot on survival. Got 1.2mil. The world number 1 is also on 1.2mil but slightly better. The annoying part is that my deaths were all due to silly mistakes that could have been avoided if I was paying more attention.
Probably for the best. If you got the #1 score, you'd have to change your NeoGAF name. Too much trouble I think.

Skyzard

Banned
Don't lay flat and hold the vita up when you play, try sitting up a tiny bit so the gyro works better.

Want to plough through Classic, but a bit stuck in early 70s. Keep telling myself 'i can do this' 'i can do this'...but "WHY CAN'T I DO THIS?!".

Keep going back for more but too much of an old fuck - T2K in 1994 never hurt this much.

I got stuck on the early 70s for a while too, keep it up!

I've had the supertapper not kill the enemy that was holding on to me on the rim, after I activated it with the touch screen.

Yep same here, might try pressing circle instead of touching the screen, which feels kinda natural when you're trapped though.

Top Bottom