• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

panda-zebra

AI Droid is my new bff: clearing the rim and saving my ass. Thanks little guy.

toilet-duck-ocean-750ml-.jpg

eroots

TxK is the best.. Would be great to get a sequel on ps4.. thinking about picking up Space Giraffe on steam, anybody recommend it? Seeing that nice cover for the ost, makes me want a wallpaper for the pc.. needa start looking..

jvm

Gamasutra.
Need to buy this and Guacamelee soundtrack. I still have my Tempest 2000 CD from 15 years ago....

wouwie

I wasn't familiar with this game but bought it on Gaf's recommandation and i'm glad i did. This game has a very solid gameplay quality to it. It's fun and addictive and it takes practise to master and get better. Also, the music is great.

There are a couple of things i'm not sure about though. Like others have mentioned, the enemies on the edge are the biggest problem for me. In many cases, i can kill them by moving towards them while shooting. But sometimes i get killed when doing exactly the same thing. I haven't figured out the reason yet why it's happening. It's annoying because the majority of kills happen like that.

Also, the way you hold your vita seems to have an impact on the in-between levels where you have to navigate into the center of the rings.

Also, am i right in saying that i remember Jeff Minter from reading Amiga mags long time ago?

Skyzard

Banned
Been thinking of grabbing space giraffe too, will add it to my list when I get a new pc. Loving this still of course.

There are a couple of things i'm not sure about though. Like others have mentioned, the enemies on the edge are the biggest problem for me. In many cases, i can kill them by moving towards them while shooting. But sometimes i get killed when doing exactly the same thing. I haven't figured out the reason yet why it's happening. It's annoying because the majority of kills happen like that.

When they are on the edge:

They rotate every few seconds, moving to another lane. While they are moving you can pass right through them (and take a shot) - can practice in the early stages.

For the later stages when there is a ton of them and I'm short for time (and don't have jump or droid), I tend to mash the Left Trigger to start/stop really fast and go straight through and wipe them out, aiming to shoot just before approaching. It's a bit risky though so I tend to only do it if I have a supertapper available.

telboy

Neo Member
Like others have mentioned, the enemies on the edge are the biggest problem for me. In many cases, i can kill them by moving towards them while shooting. But sometimes i get killed when doing exactly the same thing. I haven't figured out the reason yet why it's happening.

Remember you don't shoot a constant stream of bullets, there is a break. If you have your finger on fire constantly when enemies are at the rim you stand a greater chance of being caught as you may meet them during a break in your bullets. Every power up you collect adds another bullet to your stream so there is less of a break.

The Supertapper can be launched from the air and will last longer, gaining more double points if it manages to catch the next wave of enemies hitting the play area.

I think enemies score more if you kill them further away, no points if killed close to or on the rim.

Shaneus

So glad that the OST is available to buy! Quickest purchase I've ever made I think :)
Second-quickest ;)

Probably for the best. If you got the #1 score, you'd have to change your NeoGAF name. Too much trouble I think.
Well, remember that he was gonna be the guy who wasn't going to buy TxK (or something like that)!

Edit: THE ALBUM IS ONLY THREE POUNDS?!? Bugger that, they're getting much more.

Do you need to do something specific to get your scores to upload to Teh Internets? Also I'm not keen on the confirmation-free quit on the pause screen :(

Good stuff otherwise though. :)

Chucker

Broke 1.86m, haven't hit a wall yet, each game has been a little better, would have hit 2m if not for a few mistakes. Oh well, next time!

Bought that soundtrack with the QUICKNESS too.

-GJ-

Is there any way to influence what song you're listening to while playing? It seems like it always restarts the soundtrack when I'm dead. It always starts with the same couple of songs, and I'd like to listen to the rest as well.

Each set of a few levels has an associated song. The theory is that they're matched, and reward progress.

You could put a request in for a "randomise music" feature.

-GJ-

Each set of a few levels has an associated song. The theory is that they're matched, and reward progress.

You could put a request in for a "randomise music" feature.

Ah, thanks. I'm always starting at level 1, so I guess that must be it. I'll try starting at a later level tomorrow.

Skyzard

Banned
Ah, thanks. I'm always starting at level 1, so I guess that must be it. I'll try starting at a later level tomorrow.

It's partly why I went through classic mode first. Also it's nice just to hop into various different levels depending on what you are in the mood for and having a go of it, knowing that if you do well it saves your best. Pretty neat.

This is definitely my favourite game currently.

I wish there was an easier way in the level select to jump back to the start (level 1) though. I know d-pad down skips about 10 at a time but still.
Also still need a way to hide non-scoring friends, or at least sort by score. I think that ought to be coming given the most recent patch description (already installed) supposedly fixing it :S

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Am I the only one that doesn't use jump? I am up to about level 35 on Classic and I am yet to use jump, or even the left trigger for fine movement.

Same, and mine has an understanding. I stay on my side of the grid and he stays on his. Occasionally he will pop over to help a brother out. Droidbro is my main man.

He really is the best. Every time he appears I'm like "Oh there you are buddy, let's do this!"

Feels so good when you get locked in to this game and feel unstoppa-bull. I just moved up from 87th to 7th on Survival, when I pulled off my headphones and looked away from my Vita I felt..weird.

I didn't like the look of reality so I jumped back in the game.

Con_Smith

Banned
I wasn't ready Gaf. I wasn't ready for droidbro or jump and crazy levels. I bought my vita to be a BoI machine but got cought up in spelunky and now I'm on that TxK. I find myself itching now and dreaming of space rainbows. This must be what smoking crack is like.

When they are on the edge:

They rotate every few seconds, moving to another lane. While they are moving you can pass right through them (and take a shot) - can practice in the early stages.

For the later stages when there is a ton of them and I'm short for time (and don't have jump or droid), I tend to mash the Left Trigger to start/stop really fast and go straight through and wipe them out, aiming to shoot just before approaching. It's a bit risky though so I tend to only do it if I have a supertapper available.

I do this, or hang out on one side, let a ton of them collect on the other side, then sit in one spot and lean in shooting as they walk into my stream until I get Jump, which I then abuse like it's going out of style.

I am King Scrub

Also, CHICKEN VINDALOO

Shaneus

Am I the only one that doesn't use jump? I am up to about level 35 on Classic and I am yet to use jump, or even the left trigger for fine movement.
I very rarely use it. I don't know if you've come across the yellow electro-shocky things yet, but when I first hit them all I used was jump (regardless of the effect it had on my score).

Edit: Firstly, apols for double post. Secondly, I bought OlliOlli yesterday and it severely messes with my co-ordination skills. Pressing X when I'm about to grind, down when I want to land... it's damn hard to get my reflexes down with this game!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Loving this game. AI-Droid is my vote for character of the year so far. I feel like we are conquering the universe together (and I'm constantly letting them down any dying anyway). It took me ages to stop beginning from level 1 over and over again. The first time I started a few levels in I felt like I was cheating.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Loads of nice things about the TxK release but an really pleasent unexpected bonus has been a lot of love for Space Giraffe.

I honestly think it's one of the best games ever written hiding behind a dazzingly and baffling learning curve that saw a lot of people bail.

Christian Donlan writes a great SG retropsective on Eurogamer today:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-16-space-giraffe-retrospective

Great article. I bought SG on the day it released on 360 and absolutely loved the psychedelics even if I didn't quite get the mechanics. However, one night I tried it on some mind altering substance and never went back. *cough*

I'll give it another go one day.

T-0800

Hope you're reading this thread, Jeff. Great job on an amazing game. If I didn't already own a Vita I'd buy one just to play this.

Now how about some PS4 stuff?

Skyzard

Banned
^ Yeah, there are some bastard enemies. Love the 'gits' though.

I very rarely use it. I don't know if you've come across the yellow electro-shocky things yet, but when I first hit them all I used was jump (regardless of the effect it had on my score).

Edit: Firstly, apols for double post. Secondly, I bought OlliOlli yesterday and it severely messes with my co-ordination skills. Pressing X when I'm about to grind, down when I want to land... it's damn hard to get my reflexes down with this game!

Not to worry, it's the same for everyone, game gets a lot more comfortable to play with practice and much more satisfying! You can practice the timing and focus on skills later by using the d-pad at first.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah, but we'd have to be specific about what arcade games ArcadeGAF is about. Otherwise we'll get all those stupid fighting game fans in there as well ;)

There needs to be an important line drawn somewhere, but I don't know how :/

Haha! I was more thinking about a post just to spread the love for arcade games over waypoint games (that's my rather rubbish term for games where it's just "go here" - "do thing which has no real challenge" - "watch purdy cutscene" - "increase completion percentage" - get trophy" - "go here" etc etc , games which can be fun and impressive but just feel kind of mild). But it would be great to have a corner of GAF for arcade games (excluding fighting games). I guess you'd have to define what is meant by arcade game or the thread would just go bonkers.

I downloaded OlliOlli and Surge Deluxe too. Both seem fun. Between those, TxK, Velocity Ultra and the Playstation Home Arcade app (Centipede!) I am very happy.

Currently working through all of the levels on Classic to get a feel for the harder bits so I can in theory go back to Pure and do well.

Skyzard

Banned
Classic mode is lovely to just practice a few levels causing you some trouble, helps your pure run! Currently practicing a few near 36 where I tend to start losing lives quite easily.

Damn I love this game. I'd buy DLC bonus level packs day 1.

Btw for max score, I'm starting to think it's best not to destroy everything straight away, but to save some for after you've picked up the bonus so you can get another bonus easier? I think it's triggered after a certain number of kills or something.
I'm not 100% about this but I think so after my run yesterday. I know you get more points for killing things further away but I think it works out better like this.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Classic mode is lovely to just practice a few levels causing you some trouble, helps your pure run! Currently practicing a few near 36 where I tend to start losing lives quite easily.

Damn I love this game. I'd buy DLC bonus level packs day 1.

I think it's level 38 (Trilobite?) that gave me some real trouble. There's a few tricky ones there, aren't there?

Top Bottom