• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

gazliddon

Neo Member
Weeee! Completed level 100 on classic. Some very nice ending text and fireworks. Only 5.2m and not in the top 10 anymore. Oh well.

They should have an 45 years and older only chart for us on advancing years and slower reactions :D

panda-zebra

I did! But I'm sticking with T2K for the time being as it has controller support and feels like it runs far more smoothly/steadily. Will be trying VJ with other stuff as well, for curiosity's sake :)

Sorry for off topic, latest VJs support pads, but if that emu is working for you no probs.

OK, no more Jaguar talk, promise!

Scores are uploading now, guess PSN was just being rubbish ;)
This is definitely Jeff's best Tempest, feels like he took what worked from Space Giraffe and dropped what didn't. Only real criticism is the tilt functionality in the between levels bits means it doesn't work in bed. :)

Haha! I was more thinking about a post just to spread the love for arcade games over waypoint games (that's my rather rubbish term for games where it's just "go here" - "do thing which has no real challenge" - "watch purdy cutscene" - "increase completion percentage" - get trophy" - "go here" etc etc , games which can be fun and impressive but just feel kind of mild). But it would be great to have a corner of GAF for arcade games (excluding fighting games). I guess you'd have to define what is meant by arcade game or the thread would just go bonkers.

Hell, I wouldn't be picky about fighting games being in there, they are part of my arcade experience, along with DDR and Beatmania and such. At this point, I'm all for a thread that's basically, "Fuck, I miss Arcades."

I hate my brain. Somehow I've come to be that the first level now reminds me of Goatse. I'll never start a Pure run the same again :(

Well thanks for that. Now I can't play the lemon level with a straight face.

This is my first Tempest game, so not sure how it worked before, but I love classic mode. Being able to build off past runs is pretty great.

I hope arcade GAF becomes a thing. I really miss games with abstract presentation based on primitive geometry and the immersive simplicity of it all.

gunstarhero

Finally broke thru the million point mark last night - been getting better and better with each play through. Then I met the bull heads... f.u. bullheads.

How do you access Classic mode? I only can play Pure and Survival mode so far - is it an unlockable?

BuzzJive

Finally broke thru the million point mark last night - been getting better and better with each play through. Then I met the bull heads... f.u. bullheads.

How do you access Classic mode? I only can play Pure and Survival mode so far - is it an unlockable?

Push right or up on the game start screen instead of select.

Also, I generally look for where me extra lives take a big drop and start the board right before that.

Starting to get the hang of this game. Enjoying it quite a bit. I noticed that once you get the Jump power-up, you're practically invincible as you can just spam it when there are enemies on the rim. I'm getting confused going into levels 7+, it just seems like there's some sort of explosion on screen and I end up losing all my lives. There is no one to shoot but somehow I die. I guess that epiphany comes later?

panda-zebra

How do you all decide which level to use as your jump-off point for Classic? I've been playing Pure/Survival mostly.

When I've had chance to play I've mostly been working to just see all levels, but I got too deep with not enough lives for comfort. I stepped back and looked for a combination of lives/score and a knowledge of what levels I'd have to get back through again... that took me all the way to my best and most recent pure run in the 30s, building again from there. That's how Nonner242 went to the top, he told me he wished he'd built from a long way back when he ended on 5m-ish the first time, he shouldn't have been cruising through in little bursts of play here and there, but trying to maximise each level for score. Not sure if he's still top, but he's T2K god tier and I'm simply a jealous also-ran :0)

Slyjss

This morning I finished the game on Classic, after spending most of my weekend basically playing TxK/eating/sleeping. What a blast. I don't remember being so hooked to a game in ages, to the point of being genuinely angry at myself when I got stuck in level 93. I'm really glad Jeff Minter is happy with the result, he should totally be.

Right now I'm on the 9th spot on Classic (7th this morning), 80th on Pure and 85th on Survive, although I'm pretty sure the first one is not going to last too much.

How do you all decide which level to use as your jump-off point for Classic? I've been playing Pure/Survival mostly.

I go with the closest stage to where I stopped that gives the most bonus lives from my best start :p

Glad Minter is enjoying some well deserved satisfaction. This is one of the best things I've played in a decade.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I didn't know this was a thing.... I worshipped Tempest on my Jag. Time to try this out.

Skyzard

Banned
I think it's level 38 (Trilobite?) that gave me some real trouble. There's a few tricky ones there, aren't there?

That's the one! Just starting it up now, currently my best loses 3 lives from the previous stage lol, needs some work.

Finally got my headphones back, so good.

*trilobic* down to 2, -none :)

BuzzJive

The scores not always synching right away all the time is annoying. Glad to see I'm still 10 on Classic. Put together a good run on Pure over the last 24 hours that'll get me at #5 if it ever submits.

My thumbs hurt...

Edit: turned my Vita off and on to finally get it. BTW - it was a pure run to level 77 for a score of 4,265,370. I think I'll be able to Pure run to the end at some point, but Survival is gonna be brutal.

I'm getting confused going into levels 7+, it just seems like there's some sort of explosion on screen and I end up losing all my lives. There is no one to shoot but somehow I die. I guess that epiphany comes later?

Sounds like it's those pesky stems left behind by the flower enemies. Look for a growing laser light in the lanes when those enemies appear. It gets so hectic sometimes, it's easy to forget to destroy them and then they nail you when you're trying to exit the level.

blahness

Only have about 8 levels left in classic and the difficulty is ramping up. It has that Space Giraffe feel where it might be better to drop down a few levels to build back up in order to conquer the remaining of the game. I think I am about 15 on the classic leaderboard and then on to score shaping. I did do the long march with SG and I hope to be able to complete that with TxK. It was such a rewarding experience.

elhav

The scores not always synching right away all the time is annoying. Glad to see I'm still 10 on Classic. Put together a good run on Pure over the last 24 hours that'll get me at #5 if it ever submits.

My thumbs hurt...

Edit: turned my Vita off and on to finally get it. BTW - it was a pure run to level 77 for a score of 4,265,370. I think I'll be able to Pure run to the end at some point, but Survival is gonna be brutal.

Only have about 8 levels left in classic and the difficulty is ramping up. It has that Space Giraffe feel where it might be better to drop down a few levels to build back up in order to conquer the remaining of the game. I think I am about 15 on the classic leaderboard and then on to score shaping. I did do the long march with SG and I hope to be able to complete that with TxK. It was such a rewarding experience.
Respect guys.

I think I'm about 30 or something on classic mode and I think it shows that not enough people bought this game, cus I'm really not that good at shooters. I should barely scratch the top 200 in those types of games.

lukepgl

Neo Member
Loving it so far, just a couple of issues- the smart bombs sometimes seem to go off at random. Also my scores do not seem to be being uploaded online, even from days ago. When I go online (it says that it is syncing) and click to search for my score it doesn't find anything and there is nothing recorded in My Scores online. Am I missing something?

Number45

Loving it so far, just a couple of issues- the smart bombs sometimes seem to go off at random. Also my scores do not seem to be being uploaded online, even from days ago. When I go online (it says that it is syncing) and click to search for my score it doesn't find anything and there is nothing recorded in My Scores online. Am I missing something?
I haven't experienced any problems with the bombs going off, but yeah the score uploads are spotty. I have a feeling that the score uploads but the boards themselves doesn't refresh immediately. Closing the game and starting it again always brings my updated score up.

Hubb

First time playing got a little over 400k. I have lots of work to do, and I don't really understand the whole warp triangle thing. Game is worth playing with headphones on.

CLEEK

Minter is an odd one for me. I've been playing Llamasoft games since the C64 days. More recently, bought Space Giraffe and his iOS games. While I could always appreciate them, none of them ever clicked with me. I'm happy that people like him are still making games. Games made with their own single minded, stubborn ideals. It's just that they've never been games for me.

My first session with TxK and I though this was another game that I could appreciate, but would never love. It's immediately obviously a well made videogame.

But man, I quickly fell into the groove and first understood the game's mechanics, and then... enjoyed them! It's lovely. I'm struggling with it a bit, but I know where I'm going wrong each time I die, and happily jump back in again (and again, and again) to do better.

Easily his best work, and one of the best original games on the Vita.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Managed to get the max lives trophy! And then lost them all around level 45ish. It's so easy just to lose concentration and the game punishes you straight away.

nyarla

Neo Member
Starting to get the hang of this game. Enjoying it quite a bit. I noticed that once you get the Jump power-up, you're practically invincible as you can just spam it when there are enemies on the rim.

You caaan... but you don't score points while jumping, so it's best used as an emergency measure only :) Also gotta look out for bullets and other flying stuff above the rim...it can be dangerous up there..

If you move the left analog stick (maybe it works with the d-pad too) a bit before the triangles show up, its easier to center it, in my opinion. You can also use the Vita's gyro sensors to center.

This totally works! Awesome!

Mad props to you guys that have cleared it. Just passed level 20.

joker

Tempest 2000 was my favourite game of the 90s. With Space Giraffe Minter pushed too hard. Txk in contrast is just plain fantastic, same playability as T2k but with visuals of today. First big title of 2014.

Shaneus

Sorry for off topic, latest VJs support pads, but if that emu is working for you no probs.

OK, no more Jaguar talk, promise!
There's newer builds?!? Fantastic, will try again at home tonight :) (I knew there were SVN builds, but 9/10 times I find those they're uncompiled)

OK, so I stuck my head above the parapet and did it...hope you enjoy!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=101048702#post101048702
Subbed! Haven't read because I'm at work, but make sure pinball gets a mention, too :)

blahness

Completed classic mode a bit ago and stand at 7th on the leaderboard for now. Overall not as challenging as Space Giraffe but a great game nonetheless. Now on to pure and survival modes! Congrats to Minter and I hope this sells tons!

test_account

XP-39C²
Just a heads up, if you quit a level by pressing start and then select, be aware that the game isnt saved eventhough you can select the last level that you're on. You have to get game over on a level for the game to autosave, at least from what i've seen. Yesterday i got to level 85 or something, but i quit by pressing start and then select, and today when i started the game again, i could only select level 64 or something as the highest. So make sure that you get game over in Classic Mode before you quit the game. Luckily its not a big deal to me because the game is pretty fun, but i'd thought it was worth mentioning it. I actually think its fine that it doesnt autosave when you press start and select, because then its much quicker to restart a level, but i do wonder why it doesnt autosave when a level is completed though.

You know what they say,
TxK minds think alike
Hehe, true :)

This totally works! Awesome!

Mad props to you guys that have cleared it. Just passed level 20.
Just out of curiousity, which method are you refering to, using the left analog stick or using the Vita's gyro sensors? :)

Man, I suck at this game. Been stuck on level 23 for like an hour. Still, it is so addictive. I just can't stop even though I'm frustrated. Kinda like Hotline Miami.

Just a heads up, if you quit a level by pressing start and then select, be aware that the game isnt saved eventhough you can select the last level that you're on. You have to get game over on a level for the game to autosave, at least from what i've seen. Yesterday i got to level 85 or something, but i quit by pressing start and then select, and today when i started the game again, i could only select level 64 or something as the highest. So make sure that you get game over in Classic Mode before you quit the game. Luckily its not a big deal to me because the game is pretty fun, but i'd thought it was worth mentioning it. I actually think its fine that it doesnt autosave when you press start and select, because then its much quicker to restart a level, but i do wonder why it doesnt autosave when a level is completed though.

Hehe, true :)

Just out of curiousity, which method are you refering to, using the left analog stick or using the Vita's gyro sensors? :)

Left analog. Still can't get gyro control to work, but it's all good now!

Ugh... I can't clear that freakin' pass through the rings bonus stage. I hate airplane controls with a passion. It messes me up so bad because up and down is reversed but left and right is fine. WTF

Time to try again...

Shaneus

Ugh... I can't clear that freakin' pass through the rings bonus stage. I hate airplane controls with a passion. It messes me up so bad because up and down is reversed but left and right is fine. WTF

Time to try again...
Actually, up and down are the right way, it's you who is backwards ;) But I have a feeling an option in an upcoming patch will probably be to disable those sort of controls so it's a little easier for those who are having trouble. Maybe tweet Minter with the idea?

Time to try again...

Didn't play much flight sims in the 90s?

I'm glad that this TxK thread is getting this much activity. Much love from GAF!

I only played 3 levels of TxK so far....don't much time to play...most of it are spent on Toukiden.

Actually, up and down are the right way, it's you who is backwards ;) But I have a feeling an option in an upcoming patch will probably be to disable those sort of controls so it's a little easier for those who are having trouble. Maybe tweet Minter with the idea?

I will admit I am backwards when it comes to those types of controls. I guess I am backwards. I just could never get used to it... Wish I could practice the bonus levels easier but it takes so long to get four warp items.

Didn't play much flight sims in the 90s?

Nope, I played with them a little back then, but not enough to get used to it. I always change camera controls in games that have the axis set up like that.

KiraXD

if i hated space giraffe am i gonna hate this... seems like i would... i LOVE trippy visuals and trippy music in games though (which is originally why i got SG) but... iono... is it different enough to warrant a playthrough?

CLEEK

if i hated space giraffe am i gonna hate this... seems like i would... i LOVE trippy visuals and trippy music in games though (which is originally why i got SG) but... iono... is it different enough to warrant a playthrough?

I Refer the Honourable Gentleman to the Reply I Gave Some Moments Ago

TL;DR - I didn't get on with Space Giraffe, and while they're superficially very similar games, I adore TxK.

Space Giraffe committed a basic game design crime, where the trippy visual effects effected the visual clarity needed in a twitch shooter. The screen covered in hippy puke meant I'd often not see what killed me. The clean lines of TxK mean that while the game still has a trippy vide, I can always seen what's going on. The game also has a more basic/refined game systems, so far easir to get to grips with.

Have you played Tempest, or the 2k or 3k updates? Whether you like TxK really depends on whether you like Tempest. This is the best ever version, but still Tempest.

Need to get back in to this game, got Lego Movie on the PS4 and blasted through that at the weekend. Also picked up T2K on the Jaguar from eBay just for nostagia reasons, don't even have a console to play it on.

Top Bottom