• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft is quitting Tokyo Game Show 2024

Interfectum

Michael Biehn Wtf GIF by GritTV

Ok, so what was wrong with it? Did they throw in a bunch of Japanese people and add in a Japanese themed soundtrack despite claiming it was based on historically accurate source material?
Nothing other than it wasn't historically correct if you want to get all funny over Julius Caesar.

Not that I ever played anything game from Capcom or any Assassin's Creed game for historical accuracy, where's is the fun in that?
So don't get the fuss over this new game, other than a couple of sad Japanese people needing to get a life and a grip

It's only a videogame

Last edited:
Breath of the Wild had Ubi towers in it. Their impact on the medium is undeniable. “The Message” has obliterated more companies than just Ubisoft. We told them so, but no one listens to us.

Ubi can return to greatness. I can see this being the end, but who benefits from that?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
These next two months are going to be exciting with the release AC Shadows and Dragon Age. I'm probably going to be more entertained by the shit storm these games bring with them than actually playing the games.
I won't be surprised if AC Shadows is actually a decent game, gameplay-wise. I won't buy it Day 1 though. Not supporting the woke bullshit they're pulling.

These next two months are going to be exciting with the release AC Shadows and Dragon Age. I'm probably going to be more entertained by the shit storm these games bring with them than actually playing the games.
According to the online discourse from Era the games are fire, so they will probably flop :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Given how liberal some Japanese developers are with Western history and culture
Just because westerners hate their own history, it does not mean that everybody is like this 🤷‍♂️ In fact on the west you will get more backlash but praising the past.

Last edited:

Kacho

I don't have a sense of humour when it comes to lame jokes. My bad.:sneaky:
I saw Cockatrice at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

GHG

Nothing other than it wasn't historically correct if you want to get all funny over Julius Caesar.

Did they ever make any statements pertaining to historical accuracy or state that the intention of the game was for it to be a historically accurate representation of Rome in the period it was set in?

Not that I ever played anything game from Capcom or any Assassin's Creed game for historical accuracy, where's is the fun in that?

It's not about what you do. The issue here is that Ubisoft want to state their games are heavily inspired and influenced by real history. If they want to take the liberties they have with AC Shadows then they should just say they are throwing all of that out the window and it's purely based on fiction.

So don't get the fuss over this new game, other than a couple of sad Japanese people needing to get a life and a grip

If only it were just a couple of a Japanese people who don't like what they see happening here.

Lambogenie

I still think Japan are way sensitive where they take liberties on their own culture and others as well. Is it really that that bad?

hinch7

Those guys really embarrassed themselves over Shadows. No surprises they don't want to show their faces in Tokyo to promote their games lol.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Since when was AC ever popular in japan?
Speaking of culture, you do know that the japanese know full well that yasuke is black, right? Their issue wasn't about race, but the inaccuracies. You are the one making it about race.
This is nonsense. Have you spoken to Japanese people? I have and they have a big issue with Yasuke as the main character. Every other AC game has had a protagonist from where it takes place and they were never real people. Japanese people wanted to play as a Japanese guy in their AC game. They feel there's zero need for Yasuke to be the main guy other than forced DEI. They also hate how his story is completely embellished nonsense. Also if you're gonna use a real life person that was not gay, giving them the option to be gay in the game is extremely disrespectful. Yasuke is the main issue Japanese gamers have, the other stuff is just extra fuel for the fire.

Generic

This is nonsense. Have you spoken to Japanese people? I have and they have a big issue with Yasuke as the main character. Every other AC game has had a protagonist from where it takes place and they were never real people. Japanese people wanted to play as a Japanese guy in their AC game. They feel there's zero need for Yasuke to be the main guy other than forced DEI. They also hate how his story is completely embellished nonsense. Also if you're gonna use a real life person that was not gay, giving them the option to be gay in the game is extremely disrespectful. Yasuke is the main issue Japanese gamers have, the other stuff is just extra fuel for the fire.
Good thing they can play with a japanese character.

Make good product. Product sells

Make shit product. It doesn't
I doubt you've bought half of Ubisoft games this last year or so.

Oh and btw making game products doesn't always sell as we saw with games like Gravity Rush, Beyond Good and Evil, Okami
Did they ever make any statements pertaining to historical accuracy or state that the intention of the game was for it to be a historically accurate representation of Rome in the period it was set in?

I don't think Ubisoft did so either or you're going to tell me that Animus is an actual historically correct device *rollseyes*
Just because westerners hate their own history, it does not mean that everybody is like this 🤷‍♂️ In fact on the west you will get more backlash but praising the past.

Tell that to the poor sods that suffered under the Japanese during WW 2.
All counties and cultures have skeletons in their closet.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Pretty strange, when they have game about Japan, they are probably scared of backlash, loosers

Go_Ly_Dow

Since when was AC ever popular in japan?
Speaking of culture, you do know that the japanese know full well that yasuke is black, right? Their issue wasn't about race, but the inaccuracies. You are the one making it about race.
Oh sweet child, let me tell you a story.
Donald Trump Reading GIF by Sassy Justice

Dr.Morris79

I doubt you've bought half of Ubisoft games this last year or so.
The last UBI game I bought was that shitty Crew game that had infantile writing and was made by a committee of woke wankers. More fool me eh

Oh, and let's not forget what they did with the original Crew game, no, that was the last straw for me. Run a business where you piss on your customers? Don't expect any tears when you're failing 🤷‍♂️

They wanted to go down the 'modern audience' route too. Sucks to be them I guess.

Oh and btw making game products doesn't always sell as we saw with games like Gravity Rush, Beyond Good and Evil, Okami
And?

You're acting like people have a duty to buy products? If the games didn't sell well, they don't sell well 🤷‍♂️

Welcome to capitalism. Better luck next time.

What do you actually want to happen in this capitalist framework we're in if you work on products that don't sell?

A job for life?

How would that work?

Stu_Hart

I have japanese friends. They are more concerned about the architectural inaccuracies inaccuracies and could care less about yasuke being one of the main characters. You have clearly never spoken to all japanese people and are already wrong. I bet you also believe that the japanese govt is investigating the game just because some small fry in the NHK party that doesn't even control japan said that he is investigating, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom