• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft is quitting Tokyo Game Show 2024

Bartski

Gold Member
Go Away Do Not Want GIF

Guys, we are all being too hard on Ubisoft.

You know what would help win the Japanese consumers over?

High quality collectible art promoting AC: Shadows! Maybe of a Torrii gate! But it has to include something distinct and dramatic. Maybe one that's only has one pillar and looks pretty close to the one... that... was... destroyed when the atomic bomb dropped..... dude what the fuck.

Ubisoft, you are fucking stupid! HOLY SHIT!

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

You don't care about people's jobs or livelihoods, fair enough...
You can have sympathy with individuals while thinking a company's failure is predictable, understandable, and even justified. 99.9% of all companies that have ever existed have already gone broke; new companies replaced them. This is normal - and in the case of bloated, ailing companies like Ubisoft it's even healthy. Expecting a company to persist far beyond its natural lifespan is merely status quo bias; advocating that people should actively support it beyond that point is protectionism.

Tango Gameworks is a whole different beast. An otherwise successful company, acquired by one of the world's wealthiest companies, produces a critically acclaimed new IP only to be shut down shortly thereafter. This was a studio on the up, producing its best work to date, closed down by a company that had only recently acquired it. This decision was the latest in a long line of poor decisions by the parent company. People were understandably pissed.

hinch7

"westerners don't respect japanese culture"

Meanwhile:

They couldn't even do basic research on Japan and that period, before making a whole game on it. A lot of it is insultingly bad and downright disrespectful. Aplenty of art and pieces just blatenty copied without acknowledgement or permission, small nuances to their culture and not to publicise certain landmarks and statues. But did anyway.. because they are a) too lazy b) couldn't give a shit - probably a mix of both. Then there's the MC based on a fictional piece written by Thomas Lockley, to pass as a historical piece. And kept that charade on Wiki before being found out.

And thats after a lot of decisions at Ubi obviously chosen (for Shadows); in bad faith for brownie points. Which makes it even more hilarious. Absolutely clueless folks on this game.

Last edited:

YuLY

For the people that are saying the backlash is exaggerated. That tori gate is a symbol of the japanese people's endurance, it still stood on one leg after the Nagasaki atomic bomb. To put that into a game set well before that time si not only dumb but also disrespectful. Shows how much they fucking cared, just copy pasted shit they saw around.

Fuck Ubisoft.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You just know they had some big big plans for it too :messenger_tears_of_joy:
“Japan, we have heard your pleas. For years you asked, and today we are proud to announce the game Japan has been waiting for.”

[hip hop music starts playing]

“Finally, the Assassins Creed Japan can call its own. For the glory of Nippon, I give you….. ASSASSINS CREED: SHADOWS!! No, no need to thank me, oh you’re so welcome!!”

Tango Gameworks is a whole different beast. An otherwise successful company, acquired by one of the world's wealthiest companies, produces a critically acclaimed new IP only to be shut down shortly thereafter. This was a studio on the up, producing its best work to date, closed down by a company that had only recently acquired it. This decision was the latest in a long line of poor decisions by the parent company. People were understandably pissed.

There is no difference, it's still people jobs not that for once sec do I think Ubisoft going under and lay off its staff

It's funny how some who complain the most about how horrible the video game industry is when it comes to layoffs don't seem to care when it comes to Ubisoft or EA and almost celebrate any of their games flopping
Also, if one looks at the cold hard facts of Tango Works none of their games have been massive commercial successes and the likes of HI-Fi Rush, and Ghost Wire dire failures even when Ghost Wire was a SONY exclusive

And people need to get their heads around that quality and rave reviews don't always equal good sales as the likes of Okami prove.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don’t think putting up giant posters and demo kiosks with a big black guy being a samurai in Japan would go over well.

Lesson learned UBI.

Just make products with no politics and it can be shown and sold anywhere.

Well when your "consultants" get outed as frauds for a game you've already taken very strong, potentially agenda-driven artistic liberties in WRT representing Japanese culture, of course you'd yeet.

Kinda hope this game isn't a big part of the SOP later today; even if it didn't have some of its optics problems, it's still "just another" AssCreed at the end of the day. Not exactly a super-exciting display.

It's a game mate and it's not even like a Japanese team making it. Given how liberal some Japanese developers are with Western history and culture, it's a bit ironic to see a few Japanese people get upset.
Thought I suspect most Japanese gamers couldn't give a toss.

They probably care most about the inaccuracies of things that are clearly meant to represent historical stuff.

IMO most aren't upset that Yasuke's in the game; he's been in a lot of other Japanese media over the decades one form or another. They're not upset there's a female samurai, either. But they're probably at least a bit upset how the first AssCreed game set in Japan seemed to deliberately go out of its way to not have a single Japanese male protagonist....for a game set in feudal Japan where Japanese men were like 99% of the samurai.

It takes some extreme effort to somehow conveniently not feature a single protagonist representative of the dominant demographic in a game based on their country. And that is something that can certainly be taken as disrespectful...rightfully so IMHO.

Last edited:

finalflame

People really got so fucking triggered over Assassin's Creed. Top kek.
I have a feeling AC Shadows is still going to sell incredibly well and be a veritable salt mine.
It's Assasin's Creed, set in Japan. 99.9% of people do not give a fuck what some Japanese culture warriors and their western brain-rot allies think about the game, they're just gonna buy it cause samurai AC.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
According to woke access media, the 7.4k means its likely racist white straight white males did that.

That means, only 261 Ubisoft staff Japanese actually like the game.
Absolutely incredible how you can have a ratio skewed that bad. Almost 30:1 negative.

Last edited:

Kurotri

I have a feeling AC Shadows is still going to sell incredibly well and be a veritable salt mine.
It will sell well 100%. The question is can it break Valhalla's record and save Ubi's fiscal year after how Skull and Bones, Prince of Persia and Outlaws bombed. I think it's a no on both accounts, not sure if this means Ubi is fucked now or can just continue as they were.

Dr.Morris79

“Japan, we have heard your pleas. For years you asked, and today we are proud to announce the game Japan has been waiting for.”

[hip hop music starts playing]

“Finally, the Assassins Creed Japan can call its own. For the glory of Nippon, I give you….. ASSASSINS CREED: SHADOWS!! No, no need to thank me, oh you’re so welcome!!”
'Japan after five minutes of awkward silence and babies crying' ~

bZlF5ti.gif

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I wonder what those circumstances are?
Japan hates them right now

Yep why showcase a game to only have a month of haters give you bad or online and hurt sales.

Assassins creed would be the biggest game to showcase but its having its me too moment. Star Wars also got slot of bad press so no wonder they skipping this

Well when your "consultants" get outed as frauds for a game you've already taken very strong, potentially agenda-driven artistic liberties in WRT representing Japanese culture, of course you'd yeet.

Kinda hope this game isn't a big part of the SOP later today; even if it didn't have some of its optics problems, it's still "just another" AssCreed at the end of the day. Not exactly a super-exciting display.

They probably care most about the inaccuracies of things that are clearly meant to represent historical stuff.

IMO most aren't upset that Yasuke's in the game; he's been in a lot of other Japanese media over the decades one form or another. They're not upset there's a female samurai, either. But they're probably at least a bit upset how the first AssCreed game set in Japan seemed to deliberately go out of its way to not have a single Japanese male protagonist....for a game set in feudal Japan where Japanese men were like 99% of the samurai.

It takes some extreme effort to somehow conveniently not feature a single protagonist representative of the dominant demographic in a game based on their country. And that is something that can certainly be taken as disrespectful...rightfully so IMHO.
Look nobody gets more pissed off with this woke nonsense than me, but I care more about how the games play than what sex a character is
In this day and age men can be women and children cats or wolves and that nonsense that we get these days, but the game doesn't look that bad and last year's game was really good and getting back to how the older games played

Raven117

Man… the chit chat about this and Dragon Age will be pretty entertaining this fall. One way or another.

We also have absolutely zero idea if Ubi cancelled because they “hate them.”

That said, they have good reason to. After more than a decade of clamoring for AC in Japan done with the level of detail the prior entries have had (I mean, go watch how they recreated Notre Dame… historical accuracy of locations has always been a thing in AC games), and then we get this half-assed not even accurate weeb-dream of Japan with a complete departure from the series of having a native person be the protagonist (actually been big parts of the series)… yeah….

What the eff were they thinking?

BaneIsPain

It will sell well 100%. The question is can it break Valhalla's record and save Ubi's fiscal year after how Skull and Bones, Prince of Persia and Outlaws bombed. I think it's a no on both accounts, not sure if this means Ubi is fucked now or can just continue as they were.

Didn't they release Avatar game before that? It seems massive IP flew under the radar as well.

Kacho

The translate tweet isn't working, what does it say?
Please spread the wordAssassin's Creed Shadows figures from Ubisoft, a famous Japanese hate and criminal companyA figurine of a destroyed torii gate has been released, which is believed to be based on the "One-Leg Torii" gate that was destroyed in the Nagasaki atomic bombing.I have never seen a "One-Legged Torii" other than the one destroyed by the American atomic bomb in Nagasaki.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The translate tweet isn't working, what does it say?
Google says,
《Hope to spread》
Ubisoft's "Assassin's Creed Shadows" figure, famous for Japanese hate companies and criminal enterprises

Destroyed by the Nagasaki atomic bomb
A figure of a destroyed torii gate, which is thought to be based on the "one-legged torii gate", is on sale.

I don't know of any other "one-legged torii gates" other than the one destroyed by the American atomic bomb on Nagasaki.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Fortunately Ubisoft can claim ignorance by being French, but it's something they should have checked before making.

killatopak

Gold Member
Practically all their game merch has issues. Whoever made this figure along with the One Piece Zoro sword is sweating bullets right now. Massive failure.

yazenov

Typical woke assholes playbook. It is exactly what they do on twitter whenever people hold them accountable for their actions. Block everyone that disagrees with them or deactivated their accounts instead of facing the heat.

They know they are dead wrong and can't answer for their actions. Run away and hide instead.

Last edited:
Fortunately Ubisoft can claim ignorance by being French, but it's something they should have checked before making.

In the internet era, they can't. And pretty sure this was made on purpose, since these devs are rotten inside their heads. Let's not forget about this.

MKRd5Mi.jpeg

Very hard to claim the moral high ground for regretting the "losses of jobs" of people who mock genocide. They should get grilled for this.

Top Bottom