• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 142 |OT| Yes, CHAD MENDES is headlining this pay-per-view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
iZ8WDgfRxpLG6.jpg

UFC 142: Aldo vs. Mendes
Date: Saturday, January 14th 2012
City: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Venue: HSBC Arena

MAIN CARD
Starts at 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET on pay-per-view

Featherweight Championship: Jose Aldo (c)(-240) vs. Chad Mendes (+200)
Middleweight bout: Vitor Belfort (-120) vs. Anthony Johnson (+100)
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares (-500) vs. Mike Massenzio (+400)
Welterweight bout: Erick Silva (-500) vs. Carlo Prater (+400)
Lightweight bout: Edson Barboza (-270) vs. Terry Etim (+230)

PRELIMINARY CARD
Starts at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on FX

Lightweight bout: Thiago Tavares vs. Sam Stout
Heavyweight bout: Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Ednaldo Oliveira
Featherweight bout: Yuri Alcantara vs. Michihiro Omigawa
Welterweight bout: Ricardo Funch vs. Mike Pyle

PRELIMINARY CARD
Starts at 4:30 PM PT / 7:30 PM ET, free on Facebook.com

Featherweight bout: Felipe Arantes vs. Antonio Carvalho

Official Site
Countdown to UFC Rio: Aldo vs. Mendes
Countdown to UFC Rio: Belfort vs. Johnson
UFC Rio Preview
UFC 142 Pre-Fight Press Conference
Free Fight: Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Brookins - WEC 36

it2blkDxE39c1.gif
iArtGFRzPbdQz.gif
ibczWBh6b3vDoB.gif

pr0cs

Rumble looks good at 185, curious to see how he does. Always a fan of Aldo so seeing him against your token wrestle-boxer should be good and give a good idea if that style of fight is going to cause him grief.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Facebook prelims were done? One fight on it is pointless.

I wonder how Paul Harris will surprise us this time.

MjFrancis

I'm looking forward to this. The extremely bad midwest circuit stuff I was going to see Saturday fell through so I'm going to a nice pub to watch this thing happen.

Aldo and Johnson are my picks. It's not going to be easy for either of them, though.

Also, if Aldo beats Mendes, who's left in featherweight for him to tackle?

If Mendes beats Aldo, why does God let that happen?

MjFrancis

Fixed.

I'm looking forward to the top 2 fights but yes, not the most exciting card.
This would have been a good one on FOX, but like you, I look forward to the main and co-main events and little else.

I don't even know who half the guys are on the rest of the card.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
At the very least, the lively Brazilian crowd will keep things entertaining when Mendes tries to LnP Aldo.
More interested in the co-main than main.
Me too.
Gonna be a bad start to the year for the UFC as far as PPV numbers.
Yep, they're oversaturating with "eh" cards. I don't know why they don't merge some of them for super cards and send the undercard unknowns to Strikeforce.

yacobod

Banned
the lower weight classes don't have any drawing power at the moment. maybe in a few years when they actually have more than 1 or 2 talented fighters at each weight class. the ufc also needs to learn how to market their fighters better before they start pulling ppv numbers. a 125# division at this point would be retarded.

bone_and_sinew

the lower weight classes don't have any drawing power at the moment. maybe in a few years when they actually have more than 1 or 2 talented fighters at each weight class. the ufc also needs to learn how to market their fighters better before they start pulling ppv numbers. a 125# division at this point would be retarded.
I think having 145, 135, and 125 fights mostly on on FUEL TV/FX would be good. I thoroughly enjoyed Mighty Mouse vs Cruz for free but having to spend money on it, no thank you. In essence, it'd be resurrecting the WEC model but with the power of the UFC name. Save the bigger classes for ppv, that's what people will pay for.

dem

Mayweather and Pacquiao fight at 145ish

Small guys can be draws... but its gonna take some time and some dominant champions.

yacobod

Banned
watching mighty mouse throw head kicks that didn't go any higher than cruz's chest sure as fuck wasn't exciting.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Mayweather and Pacquiao fight at 145ish

Small guys can be draws... but its gonna take some time and some dominant champions.

Small guys can definitely be draws. Faber/Brown 2 drew over a million viewers on Versus. It's going to take some time before other guys in the division get to that level.

It's funny that both Mendez and Rumble were bragging how their wrestling would shut down their opponents. Rumble is saying he's going to be the new Chael at 185.

bone_and_sinew

Urijah Faber and Mike Brown couldn't wrestlefuck Aldo, I don't see Mendes doing it either unless Aldo gasses hard.
Very possible, in fact, a likelihood. The question is what round will Aldo gas in. I hate that Heel might be right. I would stop watching any 145 fights if Mendes wins.

bone_and_sinew

watching mighty mouse throw head kicks that didn't go any higher than cruz's chest sure as fuck wasn't exciting.
Even so, he still gave Cruz problems with his speed during striking and Cruz had to use his wrestling. I like fast-paced fights even if they are decisions.

Aldo hasn't been lookin too hot since WEC, but yea Aldo by destruction.

I thought Mendez was Edgar on that banner for a hot second.

I can get this on Xbox live for free, but I'm working Saturday night

I'm glad I'll be at work, I can watch UFC and football at the same time

Wow, I also get a free month of XBL Gold........now my Gold won't expire until Feb 2013

dem

Apparently this is going to be free on xbox live for the people who signed up last time...

You’re receiving this note because you were one of the many fans who registered to experience UFC 141 on Xbox LIVE.

First and foremost, please allow us to apologize for the technical issues that impacted your access to UFC 141 on Xbox LIVE. We remain committed to providing you with the quality experience you expect, therefore we completed a thorough investigation into the issues that prevented you from enjoying UFC 141 on Xbox LIVE, and we're confident that we've addressed the problems.

We'd love it if you'd give us a second chance, and we’d like to offer you another opportunity to experience UFC on Xbox LIVE free of charge with UFC RIO: Aldo vs. Mendes on January 14th, 2012. Instructions on how to access UFC RIO on Xbox LIVE are outlined below. In addition, we’re providing all those impacted by the UFC 141 technical issues with one month of free Xbox LIVE Gold membership*. See redemption code and instructions below.

As we continue to polish and refine the application, new functionality and features will be released. In the meantime, we believe we’re building the most compelling, interactive way to experience the fun and excitement of UFC in your living room, and now it is our job to prove it to you.

Thank you for being a valued Xbox LIVE member.

Sincerely,

The Xbox LIVE Team

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Shit is a joke. Why not not release tickets an hour before the show begins? I was hammering that thing for an hour for nothing.

and checked: not available for purchase.

MjFrancis

1537991-george_takei_oh_my_super.jpg

Did they send that free UFC 142 opportunity through the e-mail you registered on XBL with or the XBL account itself? If it's the former it looks like I'm out of luck. If it's through the XBL account itself I'll have to look it up when I get home.

pr0cs

Looks like XBL gave me a code as well to watch the thing for free.
I was pretty pissed off about 141 since I had people over and wanted to watch a better quality feed on the cheap.

Nice that they're giving this event for free, there will be blood though if the same shit happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom