• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 146 |OT| Frunk Mur Gets Legit Killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Per appearance deal.

Wasn't it 40 appearances? I'm just saying that's easy money and Brock is a mercenary as we know.

That sucks. Dammit. Well, is there anyone else among the heavies who look like they can compete with JDS and Cain? Those two are starting to look head and shoulders above their competition.

Heavyweight division is as deep as a kiddie pool. Cain got knocked out in 59 seconds and only needed one win to get another shot. That tells you all you need to know.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That means showing up 20 plus times, or a UFC return fight with base plus a cut of 1 mil buys. Seems the same in comp.

But the one UFC appearance involves him getting hit in the face (or liver) repeatedly. Maybe the dude will come back and do some UFC on Fox commentary but I can't see him stepping in the cage again.

dream

Until we have concrete evidence proving otherwise, I think our best course of action is to assume that Brock is back in the Ultimate and speculate on whether he'd beat JDS by TKO, KO, decision, or via the Kimura Lock submission.

Boogie

Cain got knocked out in 59 seconds and only needed one win to get another shot. That tells you all you need to know.

C'mon, that's not unique to heavyweight.

Back in the day, when Couture lost to Liddell, he got the rubber match after beating friggin' Mike Van Arsdale.

Machida got a title shot after beating 75 year old Couture after dropping two fights before that.

Sonnen getting a second shot at Silva after just two wins.

GSP got an "interim" title shot after beating Koscheck after his loss to Serra.

Plus the neverending immediate rematches at 155.

Fact is, once you've reached the top, the route back to a title shot is quicker than when you're climbing the mountain for the first time. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

TheNatural

My Member!
But the one UFC appearance involves him getting hit in the face repeatedly. Maybe the dude will come back and do some UFC on Fox commentary but I can't see him stepping in the cage again.

Neither does fighting Mir or other cans who can't strike. Brock is gonna Brock, he does no logic, no use in assuming what he's going to do, he's nuts.

Heel

Until we have concrete evidence proving otherwise, I think our best course of action is to assume that Brock is back in the Ultimate and speculate on whether he'd beat JDS by TKO, KO, decision, or via the Kimura Lock submission.

Kimura Lock submission, standing or by pulling full guard to lock it in deep. Absolutely.

TheNatural

My Member!
frank-mir-headphones-by-GTPonaBicycle.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
C'mon, that's not unique to heavyweight.

Back in the day, when Couture lost to Liddell, he got the rubber match after beating friggin' Mike Van Arsdale.

Machida got a title shot after beating 75 year old Couture after dropping two fights before that.

Sonnen getting a second shot at Silva after just two wins.

GSP got an "interim" title shot after beating Koscheck after his loss to Serra.

Plus the neverending immediate rematches at 155.

Fact is, once you've reached the top, the route back to a title shot is quicker than when you're climbing the mountain for the first time. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
The circumstances for those rematches are a little more complicated. Except for Randy who got title matches because he was Randy.

Junior Dos Santos has 1 title defense and he's essentially already cleared the division.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani

Dana said Vitor Belfort broke his hand and is out. They are working on a new opponent for Wandy.

*facepalm*

Centurion

Banned
this card delivered and then some, very few boring fights.

Happy Cain won, I still think he is the closest we've gotten to this generations fedor.

Even a monkey coulda predicted the main event so that wasn't a surprise.

Nelson knocking Herman out cold was satisfying, but at the same time it sorta sucks because now he won't want to move down to LHW!

JDS via strawberry mir face 2.0

I guess I was off, no strawberry faced Mir this time!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Just back from the bar (didn't take the laptop) and HOLY SHIT at Cain. I thought he was going to win by drowning Bigfoot.

And JDS brutalised Mir like everyone expected.

Roy Nelson got KO of the night easily in my book. I'd like to see him fight Bigfoot next.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani

Dana said Vitor Belfort broke his hand and is out. They are working on a new opponent for Wandy.

*facepalm*

So wait a minute..a long time Wandy rematch goes down the drain due to injury.
Everyone kinda things wand was gonna get knocked out unless the stars were right.

So doesn't rampage have like 1 fight left on his contract?..
Hasn't he been bitching the UFC only gives him guys that want to hump his leg?

Wand vs Page 4 ...Make it happen Dana!

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.

F5!!!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
That sucks. Dammit. Well, is there anyone else among the heavies who look like they can compete with JDS and Cain? Those two are starting to look head and shoulders above their competition.

The only guy I see threatening JDS is Cormier or Overeem.

Once Werdum gets past Russow in their match in Brazil, I'd love to see Cain vs. Werdum.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The SDR fight was actually possibly more uncomfortable for me than the Bigfoot one. Bigfoot got caught with a big shot and cut -- OK. But there's always something really awkward about watching a dude who clearly has NO idea what he's doing on the ground just get stacked and elbowed. Fight was stopped way late too imo. Sometimes it's almost like refs don't count brutal elbows as power shots when what Miocic did was 1000X worse than most finishing GNP.

DKehoe

I'm fine with Cain getting a rematch. A KO in a 1 minute match doesn't really mean a whole lot. A rematch could play out differently.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I don't have thread making abilities, but Dana White said a Brock Lesnar return is possible.

Possible as in he would love to see it happen but Brock has no desire to do so. Dana even said in the press conference that he hasn't spoken with Brock about it, and was laughing as to why Brock was there. Not because he is joining back up but because he knows the real reason Brock was there, he hates Mir and wanted to watch him get destroyed.

TheNatural

My Member!
Possible as in he would love to see it happen but Brock has no desire to do so. Dana even said in the press conference that he hasn't spoken with Brock about it, and was laughing as to why Brock was there. Not because he is joining back up but because he knows the real reason Brock was there, he hates Mir and wanted to watch him get destroyed.

Not true. He was to meet with Brock after the presser.

who gives a shit, he can't fight.

Only time he looked good was against Frank Mir. If Carwin wasn't such a meathead he would have won, Cain looked like a god against him and Overroid made it real clear he should go back to WWE.

He might as well just stay there because unlike WWE. He's looked more like an MMA fighter there

Because having Brock on a card beating a mid-tier guy is money in the bank.

Omega

Banned
Because having Brock on a card beating a mid-tier guy is money in the bank.

I know why Dana is doing it

I mean for us as fans. He's a joke of a fighter. There's no one he can beat other than Mir and no MMA fan wants to watch him fight Mir again because the first two fights were boring

I mean for us as fans. He's a joke of a fighter. There's no one he can beat other than Mir and no MMA fan wants to watch him fight Mir again because the first two fights were boring

He beats most of the guys at HW. Johnson, Berry, Struve, Herman, and few of the other guys. He isn't beating Reem, Cain, or JDS but he doesn't have to.

Another Dana 'Effin' White Interview:
Miller did something after the fight and was cut from Zuffa
Arianny had personal issues but she is still in the UFC.

:lol.

Reporter: What would happen if something like that happened on...the wrong show? (referring to Bigfoot's mess of a cut)

Dana: *laughs* We would've went right to black. That would be one you would not want to have on Fox primetime.

I'd love to see reactions to a fight like that on a Fox show.

Centurion

Banned

because his climb to the top was entertaining as fuck to watch, and something that had never happened before.

Ya he didn't beat the best HWs ever, but he did beat Herring in his third ever fight, then Couture, then mir in his 5th fight, and carwin in his 6th... You might not think so, but the man has skill. Fucker just needs to man up and go to a camp that will punch the shit out of him for days on end.

Not to mention his last two losses were after a second bout against divirtuclitis, where even more of his large intestines were removed. You can hate on the guy all you want, but you can't hate on his accomplishments in such a short amount of time.

RBH

who gives a shit, he can't fight.

Only time he looked good was against Frank Mir. If Carwin wasn't such a meathead he would have won, Cain looked like a god against him and Overroid made it real clear he should go back to WWE.

He might as well just stay there because unlike in UFC he's looked more like an MMA fighter in WWE

edit - last sentence made no sense

Speak for yourself.

I'd love to see him back. Who cares if he can't beat Cain or JDS.

Norml

I think Brock could beat all the top 5 on a good day.The Cain fight could have went his way if he didn't try to pass guard without first getting control.

Redux

Banned

It's extremely possible for Lesnar to come back. I don't know why but in the back of my mind I think Lesnar can defeat JDS, I don't think JDS' take down defense is as good as he's getting credit for, it's just that he's always moving and once you're close enough to shoot in for a takedown he knocks you out.

Lesnar also wanted to prove his stand up wasn't bad and that costed him. Should have went for the takedown more against Overeem and he was coming back from surgery and a year off. Lesnar has unreal strength, and is versatile (when he wants to be.)

Brock didn't want to prove his hands. Overeem took Brock's shot away be keeping his hands low and stance extremely wide. Brock is a power double guy and uses his strength really well.

But he doesn't adapt very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom