• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
The opposite of what? She's been using jabs to keep opponents on the outside for sure, connecting or not, jabs can still be used to keep opponents at bay and she's been doing so. She throws lots of side kicks to the bod to keep her distance too since 1) it hurts as hell and 2) it's quick, and you recover quick too in a manner where your body is not upright like a teep kick would.

She's been setting up kicks with punches since her very first MMA fight, again, connecting with them is not a necessity for them to work as a set up.That's her bread and butter when it comes to throwing some vicious kicks, and hiding kicks behind punches is what kickboxers do. It's basics.

Not sure what you are arguing about, she's been doing those since starting MMA.

You said Holly Holm has been using punches to set up kicks. I said she's doing the opposite of that in her UFC fights. I don't see how that's a hard translation. What I'm saying is she's been using the kicks to set up her punches and to set up her distance. Which is the opposite of what you say she's doing.

As dream also noticed and mentioned in his post, (and dream has a good eye for this) Holm isn't really using the jab as you'd expect a high-level boxer to. Her jab has become way secondary to her long-range kicks for controlling distance in all her UFC fights so far, which is puzzling.

You said you did some boxing training, so you should be able to understand technically why this is such a problem (as noted in my A,B,C list of reasons. But more technically for you as an ex-boxer, you should recognize she's throwing a huge amount of those follow-up punches when she finally does get in actual striking distance with her hands off the front foot rather than having the weight transfer slotted correctly from back-to front, way too often. And almost everything has to come right off the center line, because all her forward momentum just to get in range has already been established. As an ex-boxer, you should see this in her UFC fights and see how problematic it is. She's basically ceding her advantage by forcing herself to throw punches outside the base of good classic boxing technique.

That is shadow boxing. She's punching, badly and you know it. No one stretches like that while trying to go into a boxing stance and throwing punches. Do you also strap your hands for grappling?

See, that's the thing with coming in with just a .gif and no context, and talking shit about an athlete's workout.

I've seen the entire video. As I said, all she was doing was just loosening/warming up her muscles. Not seriously shadow boxing. In her workouts, she usually shadow boxes with the UFC gloves on if she's shadow boxing for a considerable amount of time. Which makes sense. You want that weight on your hands. When she switches to sparing, heavy bag/heavy pad work, she usually switches to heavier sparring gloves.

Your question about the wraps can also be answered easily by watching her workout videos as well.

There's a number of MMA media articles and videos that talk about Ronda's hand wrapping regimen. She quite famously has small hands, but very rarely has suffered hand injuries. (The most notable exception being the Alexis Davis fight injury.) Here's one such video about her hand wraps:

https://youtu.be/Avy6hFCibQk

Edmund wraps her hands for every MMA training session with full gauze and tape, which is considered unusual. (1:43 in the video)

It takes about 15 minutes to do these wraps, so of course they have to be done before the training session.

There are numerous training videos of Rousey doing the grappling portion of her MMA training day with wraps.

Here's one: https://youtu.be/GgpJ4TVIg6c

Really, Rousey's hands aren't that bad at all. Not nearly bad enough for a bunch of keyboard warriors to be criticizing her and using cherry-picked, out-of-context .gifs. at least.

All you guys who want to criticize...PLEASE, go to a boxing gym, stand in front of a double-ended bag, and videotape yourself punching it. If you look better than this:

https://youtu.be/GgpJ4TVIg6c?t=1113
(from 18:33 in the video)

...then by all means, talk about how shitty her hands are.

There's having good technique, and then there's actually having the power behind it to send Ronda reeling.

Honestly I'd love to see Ronda get KTFO, but I don't see it happening, even if it was a literal boxing match. I think Holm would win be decision in such a contest. In the cage? No shot.

There's having good technique, and then there's actually having the power behind it to send Ronda reeling.

Honestly I'd love to see Ronda get KTFO, but I don't see it happening, even if it was a literal boxing match. I think Holm would win be decision in such a contest. In the cage? No shot.

If Holm went back to what she was doing BEFORE the UFC, like in the Juliana Werner fight--throwing the jab, throwing the long lead left hard, and then backing it up with the round kick--that's her best chance.

We simply have no evidence of what Rousey has in terms of long-range striking against someone with lots of pop. (Not that I'm necessarily categorizing Holm as a power-puncher either.) Zingano was the biggest athletic threat, but she played right into Rousey's game with her infamous rush. We've never seen Ronda throw kicks to any degree, so it's fair to assume she isn't gonna do it here. Rousey likes to be moving forward and constantly getting in to middle-close distance. Hey, she might be fine at range...we just don't know. But if I'm Mike Winklejohn, (Holms' coach, who was also more of a kicker when he was a pro) I'd be formulating that strategy rather than trying to operate inside Ronda's obvious preferred range.

nick nacc

Banned
when I look at holly holm's highlights I don't really see her winning. She seems too slow and pensive, honda will bum rush and it will be over.

She might ahve a chance if she can keep her at bay with body kicks. idk.

brentech

when I look at holly holm's highlights I don't really see her winning. She seems too slow and pensive, honda will bum rush and it will be over.

She might ahve a chance if she can keep her at bay with body kicks. idk.

Yeah, she has looked overly calculated in the couple fights of hers that I've seen. Most likely ends quickly with Ronda getting in on her. Always a slight chance she lands a zinger in the few moments she'll likely have...Ronda does usually eat a punch of two when she works her way in (has at times even looked slightly stunned).
I just don't know that Holly has the power to do it, because it has to be quick. She needs to strike with ferocity as Joanna does, but I haven't seen that speed. Looks too much like a plodder.

Yeah, she has looked overly calculated in the couple fights of hers that I've seen. Most likely ends quickly with Ronda getting in on her. Always a slight chance she lands a zinger in the few moments she'll likely have...Ronda does usually eat a punch of two when she works her way in (has at times even looked slightly stunned).
I just don't know that Holly has the power to do it, because it has to be quick. She needs to strike with ferocity as Joanna does, but I haven't seen that speed. Looks too much like a plodder.

Agree completely.

And yeah. I think we can all agree Joanna is going to be the woman putting on the striking clinic this weekend. I'm so excited for that fight.

Even though Letourneau is an ATT fighter, I don't see her as a threat to shoot in at all on Joanna. Certainly not to the degree of a Juliana Lima, Carla Esparza, or Claudia Gadelia, who were all threats with a single or double-leg shot. So I think we're going to see Joanna's kicks and knees come out like never before in UFC thus far. We got a glimpse of it in the Penne fight. And that's exciting.

koryuken

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar.gif

Amazing skill set here.

Its crazy that she is clipping herself with her own shoulder from her own punch lol.

Xe4

Banned
As an Abq native, I want Holm to do well, but honestly I'm expecting her to get bodied. Rousey's grappling game is too strong and that is not Holm's strong suit at all. Maybe if Holm keeps her distance and breaks Rousey's line she'll stand a chance, but Holm will have to have a damn good day to stop Rousey's agression.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't imagine paying for this event, it's really weak. I will enjoy the 15 second Gfycat of Ronda winning though.

painey

CTuhnJ3UkAAxwyz.jpg:large

I watched Holms last two fights, and they were garbage. I can't believe she's being fed to Rousey, even more that people actually believe she could win?!

Carrying the program on her back with a tussle and a few sentences, getting the MMArks worked up. Beautiful, really.

She's amazing at selling a fight no doubt. No matter how people feel about her the girl knows how to work the game big time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I remember the first Holm fight I watched, after they had built her up as this devastating striker. Halfway through Rogan had to be kind of apologetically saying, "well, you know, even in striking she's never been much of a finisher. More of a tactical point-striker." Wolf tickets!

BadAss2961

That was a MONEY promo at the weigh-ins by Ronda. Like better than 99.9% of pro wrestling promos I've seen in a few years.
It was actually pretty terrible. She fumbled her words.

Not sure what that's about since Holly's shown her nothing but respect up to this point. Just hype I guess.

It was actually pretty terrible. She fumbled her words.

Not sure what that's about since Holly's shown her nothing but respect up to this point. Just hype I guess.

Nah. It was great. The only real fumbling was when she self-edited a potential F-bomb. Which was smart.

Even got "Sunday" up in the promo twice, so if you were a casual watching it, thinking of hitting that ticket window in Melbourne, you'd know what day it was.
I just wanted to get in her face and show her that I was there for a reason. She's the one that put the fist on my face. I didn't touch her. She's the one that touched me.

And I told her...that fake, sweet act...I can see right through it. I really do. It was all fake. All until now. All that respect, all that everything, all being sweet.

I see right now that it's fake and you're gonna get it on Sunday.

You're not the first person that thought that you had the perfect plan to beat me...It's not the first time that your camp thought they had the perfect plan to beat me.

I'm gonna show you on Sunday why I'm the champ.

BadAss2961

Holly looks like she's got a couple inches and some good reach on Ronda. I don't think Ronda's gonna fuck around in this fight. She'll be looking for that toss and armbar.

MjFrancis

Looking at those weigh-in photos, there's a lot to be said for Cyborg not dropping to 135lbs. How much weight does Rousey put back on in the next 24 hours, anyone know?

ElNino

Looking at those weigh-in photos, there's a lot to be said for Cyborg not dropping to 135lbs. How much weight does Rousey put back on in the next 24 hours, anyone know?
Not sure, but from my wrestling days in high school and university the girls seemed to have a more difficult time cutting weight.

I was pretty skinny in high school, but I still didn't have much trouble cutting 20-25 lbs every week. And that was as a high school kid without professional trainers. I really don't see how any professional fighter should miss weight unless they are sick or something, it really isn't that hard.

oneils

"looks" compared to actual effectiveness friend ;)
Edit: ^^She usually looks that way after the cut to me??

Yeah, I totally get that. My buddy usually gets every ppv event and I join him for maybe every second or third event. I'm going to check this one out. My guess is it might last a whole 30 seconds.

oneils

I've never been to a UFC fight before, when is the best time to generally get to the event?

Are you going to this one? I've been to two, I think. I went really early so I could see the prelims. I think was there from 5:30 pm to 1am or so. It was a long night, but I had a blast. At the latest, I would go for the beginning of the main card which should be 9 pm or so.

But I wonder what that will be in your local time.

MjFrancis

no but nice avatar.
Yeah, that guy starred in a few kick-ass movies.

Not sure, but from my wrestling days in high school and university the girls seemed to have a more difficult time cutting weight.

I was pretty skinny in high school, but I still didn't have much trouble cutting 20-25 lbs every week. And that was as a high school kid without professional trainers. I really don't see how any professional fighter should miss weight unless they are sick or something, it really isn't that hard.
That sounds about right for a male, I'm really unfamiliar with the differences for females though. I'd guess 15-20lbs but that's just a shot in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom