• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
They say Cyborg needs to move down, but look at what Ronda's done to herself to make 135.

03kkrrZ.jpg

This was not a good cut. She's never looked this drained.

She looks 10 years older and so gaunt.

Banglish

I'm surprised we're talking about Ronda's cut and not Latourneau's. That woman looked like she was about drop any second.

Meanwhile, Holly looked like Sarah Connor.

2GRpK2g.jpg

Upset alert?

no, Rousey is going to gain 30 pounds overnight and look like a marshmellow. Some people are amazing cutters. Rumble Johnson is notorious for that, he used to walk around at 220 and cut to 170 for the first 6 years of his career.

Axiom

Are you going to this one? I've been to two, I think. I went really early so I could see the prelims. I think was there from 5:30 pm to 1am or so. It was a long night, but I had a blast. At the latest, I would go for the beginning of the main card which should be 9 pm or so.

But I wonder what that will be in your local time.

Yeah, I couldn't resist the Ronda hype - though looking into it I may be more interested in seeing what Joanna does.

The fights start around 10, the prelims around 12 my time. I think

fader

no, Rousey is going to gain 30 pounds overnight and look like a marshmellow. Some people are amazing cutters. Rumble Johnson is notorious for that, he used to walk around at 220 and cut to 170 for the first 6 years of his career.

thank god he moved to Light Heavyweight and UFC rehired him. i was always a fan of his stand up.

Yeah, I couldn't resist the Ronda hype - though looking into it I may be more interested in seeing what Joanna does.

If its your first UFC go from the very first prelim imo. I go pretty regularly, 2-3 events a year, and its still a blast. If you are going to your very first event take it all in. And if the UFC is doing any fun stuff for the fans before the event starts go to that as well.

Have fun at the fights! Its a solid card so should be a good time.

ElNino

Are you suggesting that Rumble is good at cutting weight? The guy who probably missed weight more often than he made it?

Go for the prelims, sometimes they are pretty good and the breaks between fights allow you to check out other things in the stadium

Are you suggesting that Rumble is good at cutting weight? The guy who probably missed weight more often than he made it?

Again, he walked around at 220 plus. Getting to 175.5 or 176 from 220 is an amazing feat. Clearly he shouldn't have been fighting at middleweight, let alone welterweight for that matter though, I definitely agree.

I can't wait to kick this bitch's ass tomorrow. I'm going to enjoy this fight so much. Maybe I can get this whole fight in a vine this time. ;)

Btw disgraceful acting at the weigh ins. Ronda looked like an angry 2 year old child trying to sell the fight. I can't stand this new breed of fighter who acts like this. Have some respect and stop trying to make everything the WWE.

I really hope holly can extend this to 3 rounds because that weight cut from 170 to 135 cannot be good for Ronda and she could gas if it gets beyond the first. Holly really has to stick and move and stay out of the range of Ronda.

Game4life

Banned
So how long will this fight last? I hope Holly lasts for more than a minute against Ronda. That would be a victory in itself.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Holly Holm has Greg Jackson in her corner so anything's possible. If she can use her length and not get taken down then she'll still be in the fight. Rousey is the favourite for a reason though.

I watched Holms last two fights, and they were garbage. I can't believe she's being fed to Rousey, even more that people actually believe she could win?!

The same was said about Alexander Gustafsson before he fought Jones.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm gonna 5-1 odds a hip toss onto HH's face followed by medicore ground and pound which is then casually ditched for some ridiculous arm bar or something of that sort. 1st round shenanigans for sure.

Don't really give a fuck about her views/beliefs. Hot girl beats up other less hot girls. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Can some beautiful user here edit together all her UFC wins into one super huge .gif or a quick video? I've got like... 4 minutes to waste at work.

I can't wait to kick this bitch's ass tomorrow. I'm going to enjoy this fight so much. Maybe I can get this whole fight in a vine this time. ;)

lawl is this the most low key persistent joke account around here these days? Would be too fun to have actual Rousey as a user here. Can't imagine how super fuckin weird reading all these people who don't know you talk either mad shit or utter praise would be. What a crazy world hers must be right about now.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Btw disgraceful acting at the weigh ins. Ronda looked like an angry 2 year old child trying to sell the fight. I can't stand this new breed of fighter who acts like this. Have some respect and stop trying to make everything the WWE.

I really hope holly can extend this to 3 rounds because that weight cut from 170 to 135 cannot be good for Ronda and she could gas if it gets beyond the first. Holly really has to stick and move and stay out of the range of Ronda.

No way, she's in the 150s. A 35lbs cut is too extreme for a 135lbs fighter especially without IVs.

From an article about her diet from yesterday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ufc/2015/11/12/ronda-rousey-ufc-193-holly-holm-diet/75666560/

Rousey typically walks around at a weight just above 150 pounds, and gets underneath the fighting limit by reducing fluid intake in the final few days before she must officially tip the scales.

charsace

I can't see Holly winning. She finishes fights with head kicks, not punches. Throwing a head kick seems like trouble when fighting RR. She is going to have to set it up well.

No way, she's in the 150s. A 35lbs cut is too extreme for a 135lbs fighter especially without IVs.

From an article about her diet from yesterday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ufc/2015/11/12/ronda-rousey-ufc-193-holly-holm-diet/75666560/

Yeah. LOL.

Phat Michael is obviously just making shit up wholesale in this thread now. His Ronda hate runs way deep, apparently.

Shit, a 35 lbs. weight cut would be beyond what Gleison Tibau used to do with IVs, and he was notoriously the biggest weight cutter in UFC history.

I remember hearing of a guy doing a 35 lbs. weight cut once, on a short-notice fight, but he did it in 11 days. IIRC, he also lost the fight.

Everybody knows Ronda targets 150 two days before the fight, and actually cuts only about 15-16 lbs in water. Hell, she did it on a day's notice on The Ultimate Fighter, just to make a point with the team she was coaching once. So obviously if she could do that outside of a camp, she doesn't stay far off from 150, even at "walking around" weight.

charsace

Yeah. LOL.

Phat Michael is obviously just making shit up wholesale in this thread now. His Ronda hate runs way deep, apparently.

Shit, a 35 lbs. weight cut would be beyond what Gleison Tibau used to do with IVs, and he was notoriously the biggest weight cutter in UFC history.

I remember hearing of a guy doing a 35 lbs. weight cut once, on a short-notice fight, but he did it in 11 days. IIRC, he also lost the fight.

Everybody knows Ronda targets 150 two days before the fight, and actually cuts only about 15-16 lbs in water. Hell, she did it on a day's notice on The Ultimate Fighter, just to make a point with the team she was coaching once. So obviously if she could do that outside of a camp, she doesn't stay far off from 150, even at "walking around" weight.

Of course it isn't 150. I think Ronda at her biggest was 152 when she was fighting at 145.

And the person pretending to be Rousey isn't funny.

Weigh in from another angle

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/665322766099353602

Uhhhh... She punches her own face using Holm's hand. Then goes on a rant about it. This is WWE level shenanigans. GTF with this shit.

still gonna watch though!
Such a fuckimg shit show. So tired of this trash. Couldn't care less about the card but its my cousins turn to order and they're making wings and fried rice, so I'll drop by.

You said Holly Holm has been using punches to set up kicks. I said she's doing the opposite of that in her UFC fights. I don't see how that's a hard translation. What I'm saying is she's been using the kicks to set up her punches and to set up her distance. Which is the opposite of what you say she's doing.

As dream also noticed and mentioned in his post, (and dream has a good eye for this) Holm isn't really using the jab as you'd expect a high-level boxer to. Her jab has become way secondary to her long-range kicks for controlling distance in all her UFC fights so far, which is puzzling.

You said you did some boxing training, so you should be able to understand technically why this is such a problem (as noted in my A,B,C list of reasons. But more technically for you as an ex-boxer, you should recognize she's throwing a huge amount of those follow-up punches when she finally does get in actual striking distance with her hands off the front foot rather than having the weight transfer slotted correctly from back-to front, way too often. And almost everything has to come right off the center line, because all her forward momentum just to get in range has already been established. As an ex-boxer, you should see this in her UFC fights and see how problematic it is. She's basically ceding her advantage by forcing herself to throw punches outside the base of good classic boxing technique.
Holly_Holm_vs._Allanna_Jones_2.gif

tumblr_mum3bnRobt1qaa8d1o1_250.gif

tumblr_n3koohyOwJ1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

But she doesn't set up kicks with punches, nah, you must be right! That's only a few gifs that proves you wrong, and again, she does this numerous times in a fight. She does indeed keep more than necessary distance between herself and her opponent, but that's called preferences, she loves to jump in and out with small explosions and have enough space to throw some of her hook kicks or sidekicks.

tumblr_mum3bnRobt1qaa8d1o2_250.gif

holly-holm-destruction.gif

Not all pro boxers box the same, are on the same level of competition, or have the same style. And using a jab to keep distance can be done by other means than it being a stationnary jab, but can also be thrown after a kick to give you time to recover, and also to set up other punches or kicks. She doesn't use her jab like it's a prominent weapon like a Hearns, De La Hoya or Klitschko would have done, but it's still used none the less. Kickboxing is a different ball game than boxing, I should know I've done both and one doesn't translate perfectly into another, it just doesn't work like that. She's been implementing kickboxing in her game ever since she's been in MMA, so it,s obvious she'll be doing things differently than what a boxer would do.

I'm going to throw it back to you like you did to the other gaffer, it's one thing to think you know stuff theoretically, but putting stuff into practice is a entirely different ball game, even more so in MMA where different disciplines come into play.

Edit: Just for the fuck of it LMAO

lTJcxZV.gif

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/fan_shot_images/298719/Holly_Holm_vs._Allanna_Jones_2.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/35c0253edbe4f7a4ee758c444a537606/tumblr_mum3bnRobt1qaa8d1o1_250.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://38.media.tumblr.com/e1b22dd451555deb2654982969a5ddf4/tumblr_n3koohyOwJ1ry1rm7o1_400.gif[IMG]

But she doesn't set up kicks with punches, nah, you must be right! That's only a few gifs that proves you wrong, and again, she does this numerous times in a fight. She does indeed keep more than necessary distance between herself and her opponent, but that's called preferences, she loves to jump in and out with small explosions and have enough space to throw some of her hook kicks or sidekicks.

[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/afe3062a8b604b8969b44c9372c5a401/tumblr_mum3bnRobt1qaa8d1o2_250.gif[IMG]
[IMG]https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/holly-holm-destruction.gif?w=501&h=282[IMG]

Not all pro boxers box the same, are on the same level of competition, or have the same style. And using a jab to keep distance can be done by other means than it being a stationnary jab, but can also be thrown after a kick to give you time to recover, and also to set up other punches or kicks. She doesn't use her jab like it's a prominent weapon like a Hearns, De La Hoya or Klitschko would have done, but it's still used none the less. Kickboxing is a different ball game than boxing, I should know I've done both and one doesn't translate perfectly into another, it just doesn't work like that. She's been implementing kickboxing in her game ever since she's been in MMA, so it,s obvious she'll be doing things differently than what a boxer would do.

I'm going to throw it back to you like you did to the other gaffer, it's one thing to think you know stuff theoritically, but putting stuff into practice is a entirely different ball game, even more so in MMA where different disciplines come into play.

Edit: Just for the fuck of it LMAO

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lTJcxZV.gif

Ummmmmmmm...

You said Holly Holm has been using punches to set up kicks. I said she's doing the opposite of that in her UFC fights. I don't see how that's a hard translation. What I'm saying is she's been using the kicks to set up her punches and to set up her distance. Which is the opposite of what you say she's doing.

As dream also noticed and mentioned in his post, (and dream has a good eye for this) Holm isn't really using the jab as you'd expect a high-level boxer to. Her jab has become way secondary to her long-range kicks for controlling distance in all her UFC fights so far, which is puzzling.

You said you did some boxing training, so you should be able to understand technically why this is such a problem (as noted in my A,B,C list of reasons. But more technically for you as an ex-boxer, you should recognize she's throwing a huge amount of those follow-up punches when she finally does get in actual striking distance with her hands off the front foot rather than having the weight transfer slotted correctly from back-to front, way too often. And almost everything has to come right off the center line, because all her forward momentum just to get in range has already been established. As an ex-boxer, you should see this in her UFC fights and see how problematic it is. She's basically ceding her advantage by forcing herself to throw punches outside the base of good classic boxing technique.

Absolutely none of the gifs you provided are UFC fights. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Why does that matter? The level of competition between UFC and Legacy is pretty damn large. It's pretty easy for a top athlete to style on people well below their skill level. And that seems like exactly what you're cherry picking for your argument here. That happens plenty in these threads but the fact that you would post some C-Tier highlight reel gifs and then gloat about it like it means anything? lol

Ummmmmmmm...

Absolutely none of the gifs you provided are UFC fights. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Why does that matter? The level of competition between UFC and Legacy is pretty damn large. It's pretty easy for a top athlete to style on people well below their skill level. And that seems like exactly what you're cherry picking for your argument here. That happens plenty in these threads but the fact that you would post some C-Tier highlight reel gifs and then gloat about it like it means anything? lol

Problem is that I've always said MMA. He's the one who said UFC. If I had any other gifs to showcase what I'm saying, I would, but I don't. Still don't give a rats ass though, she's been using them nonetheless, it's not like it disappeared over night. She's been a bit more shy in her UFC fights, but her style and the way she does it is the same. I'm not refering to the ko's, but to the way she's setting up the kicks. Christ, pick a fight video of your choice on youtube and you'll see she does it.

Problem is that I've always said MMA. He's the one who said UFC. If I had any other gifs to showcase what I'm saying, I would, but I don't.

Look back at the conversation. You said "Holly does X," and he stated, "Actually since joining the UFC, she's done Y." Which you then argue against.

His entire point was that since she's had a step up in comp, she hasn't utilized the techniques that you stated she uses. So for you to argue against his point by using gifs from before she was in the UFC is pointless. It doesn't actually prove a thing and actually makes his argument stronger.

Yeah. LOL.

I'm sure she enters her training camp at 150.

You really think her walking around weight is 15 pound over her fight weight?

Ronda-Rousey-Kimmel-Tight_3.jpg

Look back at the conversation. You said "Holly does X," and he stated, "Actually since joining the UFC, she's done Y." Which you then argue against.

His entire point was that since she's had a step up in comp, she hasn't utilized the techniques that you stated she uses. So for you to argue against his point by using gifs from before she was in the UFC is pointless. It doesn't actually prove a thing and actually makes his argument stronger.

Read above again, these were made into gifs because of the finishes. The KO happens = GIFS are made. That doesn't mean fuck all that she isn't using them anymore, simply that gifs wern't made of it. The techniques are still there even though she's a bit more gun shy. Using gifs to showcase what I was refering to was simply the more efficient way of proving it. You basically missed the entire point.

Edit: well fuuuck me, there is one: UFC fight vs Marion Reneau

yOHJb1.gif

So what's up now? lol And she's obviously done it in her only other ufc fight too against Pennington.

I'm sure she enters her training camp at 150.

You really think her walking around weight is 15 pound over her fight weight?

Ronda-Rousey-Kimmel-Tight_3.jpg

That's not what a 5'7'' tall women would look like at 170lbs. You're trippin dude.

Read above again, theses are made into gifs because of the finishes. The KO happens = GIFS are made. That doesn't mean fuck all that she isn't using them anymore, simply that gifs wern't made of it. The techniques are still there even though she's a bit more gun shy.

Highlights get made into gifs even when they're not finishes. Her two UFC fights went to Split decision (over Pennington) and Decision. All her previous fights except one were KO or TKO. Seems pretty obvious that the step up in comp has resulted in her having more difficulty.

Now maybe she's the Holyfield or Douglas to Ronda's Tyson, we'll have to wait and see.. but she definitely hasn't been dominating since her level of comp was raised.

That's not what a 5'7'' tall women would look like at 170lbs. You're trippin dude.

Highlights get made into gifs even when they're not finishes. Her two UFC fights went to Split decision (over Pennington) and Decision. All her previous fights except one were KO or TKO. Seems pretty obvious that the step up in comp has resulted in her having more difficulty.

Now maybe she's the Holyfield or Douglas to Ronda's Tyson, we'll have to wait and see.. but she definitely hasn't been dominating since her level of comp was raised.

Haha that's not even the fucking point of what was being said. Stop arguing just for the sake of it and see my post above again for a gif of one of her UFC fight.

Haha that's not even the fucking point of what was being said. Stop arguing just for the sake of it and see my post above again for a gif of one of her UFC fight.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Actually, I think I was pretty clear but you're choosing to ignore context.

Your entire argument is predicated on gifs of her styling on opponents she was dominating. Her Split Decision and Decision victories were not dominant. Hence, no highlights. No highlights, no gifs.

Edit: So there's evidence of her doing it twice, to little effect, on her way to a decision against an uncharacteristically tepid Reneau. Did you actually see the fight? Because there's far more kicks thrown to guage range than punches setting up kicks.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Actually, I think I was pretty clear but you're choosing to ignore context.

Your entire argument is predicated on gifs of her styling on opponents she was dominating. Her Split Decision and Decision victories were not dominant. Hence, no highlights. No highlights, no gifs.

I'm the one ignoring? There's a damn gif right above of one of her UFC fights against Marion Reneau haha. Demonstrating exactly what I was refering to, her setting up kicks with punches. Stop playing the fool. The whole arguement was over how Pristine_Condition says she isn't setting up kicks with punches now but the opposite, I'm saying he's wrong and demonstrating how she's been doing so ever since her mma career has started and that's it's never stopped.

Rewatch her fights in the UFC.

Oh I've watched them, clearly you're the ones not comprehending what you're watching.

Edit: So there's evidence of her doing it twice, to little effect, on her way to a decision against an uncharacteristically tepid Reneau. Did you actually see the fight? Because there's far more kicks thrown to guage range than punches setting up kicks.

.... Goddamn son, you love arguing with no basis on what you're talking about. It never was about whether she used kicks to keep distance or not, I know she's been doing so.

That's a direct quote of Pristine_Condition:

Like really? Creating disctance is one thing, and setting up kicks with punches is another, you can do both, yet what he's saying is that she's been doing the opposite, meaning she ain't setting up kicks anymore. It's a total fucking brain fart lol.

Oh I've watched them, clearly you're the ones not comprehending what you're watching.

.... Goddamn son, you love arguing with no basis on what you're talking about. It never was about Whether she used kicks to keep distance or not, I know she's been doing so.

That's a direct quote of Pristine_Condition:

Like really? Creating disctance is one thing, and setting up kicks with punches is another, you can do both, yet what he's saying is that she's been doing the opposite, meaning she ain't setting up kicks anymore. It's a total fucking brain fart lol.

What you're saying here equates to, "...because she's done it occasionally, that means I'm right." Are you really trying to be that literal here?

Turin

Banned
Holly can put together some sick offense when she loosens up.

I don't think she'll get much of a chance to though...........

What you're saying here equates to, "...because she's done it occasionally, that means I'm right." Are you really trying to be that literal here?

She's been doing so in every MMA fight she's been into. That's litterally her bread and butter since she's gotten into MMA, how can someone deny that simply because she didn't get a KO or TKO in her last 2 fights is mind-boggling to me. She's a ex-boxer that came to be a great kickboxer in MMA. Setting up kicks with punches is basic 101 of kickboxing and she's been doing so flawlessly. She relies on her punches and the distance that she creates to set up kicks, that's.. I mean isn't it fucking obvious at that point? And you're the one telling me to watch videos. Come on now. lol

Alright I'm off to sleep now, I'm tired and writing in english is starting to give me a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom