• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 194 + Fight Week |OT| The leprechaun finally gets his gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeyser

He wasn't finished yet. They had some exchanges in the 4th until Rockhold got him down again like 2 minutes into the round and finished the job.

Had Weidman been done then his corner would've stopped it between rounds. Then i'd agree that Dean missed the stoppage.

No one wants to throw the towel in a championship fight

danthefan

It's unrespectful as fuck and It's classless. Makes the sport looks like a circus show. Should I like it because it speaks to the rednecks, casuals and wwe lovers alike?

You're so full of shit. He says what he says to promote fights and make money and any fighter who gets affected by it deserves to run into that left hand.

Oh yeah, and what was with that disgusting stand up from Herb in the Rockhold fight in the first? That hurt me emotionally. Stand up while attempting a submission... Herb, you're Dan Mirgliotta from Elite XC up in here now.

If he seriously intends to follow through with that plan then he'll pick up a new fan in me. I think he's classless, but that is badass.

Back here in 2008 Conor was a 2 weight champion for Lightweight and Featherweight. A lot weaker competition, but he is used to fighting at LW. The inevitable McGregor v Duffy rematch has to happen too. He's the last person to beat Conor in a fight.

BadAss2961

No one wants to throw the towel in a championship fight
No one wants to prematurely decide a championship fight either. Fighters have come back from much worse.

Some thought they should've called the Souza/Romero fight when Jacare stumbled back to his corner. Jacare came back and would've won the fight had it been 5 rounds.

Rur0ni

He wasn't finished yet. They had some exchanges in the 4th until Rockhold got him down again like 2 minutes into the round and finished the job.

Had Weidman been done then his corner would've stopped it between rounds. Then i'd agree that Dean missed the stoppage.
I agree on first watch, Weidman was mounted but had his eyes on Luke and was covered up waiting it out. There was no escaping other than stoppage. Seemed to be a waste to stop it. This allowed for the beating next round which was a solid stoppage.

ScribbleD

Back here in 2008 Conor was a 2 weight champion for Lightweight and Featherweight. A lot weaker competition, but he is used to fighting at LW. The inevitable McGregor v Duffy rematch has to happen too. He's the last person to beat Conor in a fight.

That's awesome. I don't want to like him, but he backs up his trash talk and he's fun to watch.

Fuck it, consider my converted.

I was glad it wasn't stopped because I watch this "sport" to see people get get hurt and I enjoy seeing comebacks. But he was taking way too many heavy shots for what seemed like a minute straight. It should've been stopped. Weidman sounded like Rocky except more punch drunk after the fight.

Faber did say that when the cameras aren't rolling connor is a pretty cool guy

We have to remember he's selling fights and is really good at it

and

hey the featherweight division has some movement, tons of matches to make now

Miggytronz

I was glad it wasn't stopped because I watch this "sport" to see people get get hurt and I enjoy seeing comebacks. But he was taking way too many heavy shots for what seemed like a minute straight. It should've been stopped. Weidman sounded like Rocky except more punch drunk after the fight.
I'd like to know the exact amount of time Weidman was getting pummeled. I think it was like 1:30 left when it started.

Before this fight, I thought that even if Conor won, he'd have trouble with Frankie because Frankie just can't be knocked out. Now I firmly believe Conor can knock out anyone on the roster, iron chin be damned. Aldo has eaten hard shots from a lot of guys and didn't even flinch.

Rur0ni

Faber did say that when the cameras aren't rolling connor is a pretty cool guy

We have to remember he's selling fights and is really good at it

and

hey the featherweight division has some movement, tons of matches to make now
It's pretty clear it's an act, like Chael who seems like a really funny and pragmatic guy behind the scenes. Connor could have shat on Jose after winning the belt but didn't.

The two fights I cared about were great. Sucks Weidman lost though.

Night was made even better when TWC refunded my money because the channel kept cutting out.

Fitts

That's awesome. I don't want to like him, but he backs up his trash talk and he's fun to watch.

I felt the same way up until the Poirier fight. I didn't necessarily dislike Conor, but I couldn't give him a pass for the shit talk nor could I give the UFC a pass for heavily promoting him. But after that I couldn't deny that he's a great fighter and him running his mouth can actually be entertaining.

And hey, at the end of the day he's bringing attention/money to the sport and that's awesome.

Chesskid1

Banned
rockhold said he was really tired about the 1st round and at open workouts he was getting winded just sparring due to his illness

rockhold wants to fight belfort next

Just made some money betting on McGregor tonight.

First things first, let me say, I did not in any way predict this. I was ready for literally anything - a 25 minute war, Aldo to submit Conor in round 1 or for him to KO Conor, for Conor to wear him down with body shots then finish him.

As I placed my bet, I doubted it afterwards, I just went with my gut and picked Conor by KO. Through the night my confidence tanked, I had bet on Weidman and lost already. At that point I was questioning everything... I wanted Conor to win, to shake the game up, I had already downed a few whiskey's by the time Bruce Buffer had done his thing, trying to calm my nerves.

Disappointed it ended so quickly, would have to see liked at least 1 full round, Jose definitely deserves a rematch after this, he was the top guy for years and it would be an insult for him not to get a chance to win back his belt.

For all the mud slinging, I want no part of it, nobody could have predicted this and if they tell you they did, they're probably bluffing, I certainly couldn't. If anything I hope this shows that not all McGregor fans are blind fanatics, blinded by their emotions.

I'm done here, I've been up all night and it's now nearly 7 am here in Scotland. I need to eat, maybe watch this whole craziness again later to reflect.

bets_by_lightningtremlett-d9jykua.png

Oh yeah, and what was with that disgusting stand up from Herb in the Rockhold fight in the first? That hurt me emotionally. Stand up while attempting a submission... Herb, you're Dan Mirgliotta from Elite XC up in here now.
Lol, me and my friend were calling for the stand up like 20 secs before he did it, Weidman was in no danger and Rockhold was clearly holding him specifically for the standup. Rag on Herb for not stopping it at the end of the third, but there was nothing wrong with that standup.

So was Aldo just psychologically defeated before he entered the octagon? That was just ridiculous.

More likely Conor has drilled that scenario a thousand times, since it's a really standard motion for Aldo and there's a lot of tape on him. He went right through that feint with no hesitation, and it takes more than belief in your left hand to do that.

If you watch the fight back, both guys were asking Herb to stand it up. They were both tied up.

Heel

Two great calls from Herb in that fight, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom