• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 194 + Fight Week |OT| The leprechaun finally gets his gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, and what was with that disgusting stand up from Herb in the Rockhold fight in the first? That hurt me emotionally. Stand up while attempting a submission... Herb, you're Dan Mirgliotta from Elite XC up in here now.
Didn't Luke ask for the standup? They were speaking to each other right before the fight got stood up.

Felt that Herb could have stopped Weidman vs Rockhold at the end of round 3, Weidman was getting smashed and was beyond the hopes of a win at that point.

Ithil

So was Aldo just psychologically defeated before he entered the octagon? That was just ridiculous.

A southpaw with powerful boxing got him square in the jaw with a left. You can say it was just bad luck he ended up in the path of said punch so quickly, but he rushed in and got countered one way or another.

Watching the last episode of Embedded...
Aldo "my first punch will be a KO"
Aldos trainer "the first punch will put him in a coffin"

The irony.

It sure was. Unfortunately it wasn't Conor's KO.

Stantron

kRRwoE.gif

M88E95.gif

Dana just said on FS1 that Kavanagh (McGregor's coach) said in the cage after the fight that he doesn't want Conor cutting to 145 again after tonight.

BadAss2961

Dana just said if Conor moves to 155 he gets a title shot right away.

I think Cowboy would work Conor. I like him, but his size is probably his biggest asset at 145.

I think Cowboy would work Conor. I like him, but his size is probably his biggest asset at 145.

The way Cowboy got waxed by Pettis and dominated by Diaz, I think Conor would pick him apart.

So once Conor moves to 155, the featherweight title gets vacated immediately?

Most likely. Then we get Edgar vs. Aldo II for the vacant belt.

This is just silly, Anderson and GSP had been dominant champions for years when this sort of talk started being put out there. Conor needs to stick with 145 for now.

I'm a McGregor fan but he needs to put one the brakes for a bit and stay focussed, because you know Aldo is coming back for a rematch.

BadAss2961

The way Cowboy got waxed by Pettis and dominated by Diaz, I think Conor would pick him apart.
I just don't see Conor's style carrying over against bigger, longer guys than himself at this level. He'll go from huge featherweight to an average sized lightweight real quick, and it'll make all the difference.

oneils

This is just silly, Anderson and GSP had been dominant champions for years when this sort of talk started being put out there. Conor needs to stick with 145 for now.

I'm a McGregor fan but he needs to put one the brakes for a bit and stay focussed, because you know Aldo is coming back for a rematch.

Looks like he won't be sticking with it because cutting to 145 is to hard on him.

He can defend both. Aldo hadn't defended in 14 months.

I highly doubt he defends both. Alternating between cuts like that would be very odd. Anything could happen I guess, but I'm pretty certain they wouldn't go that route. If he decided to go to 155, it'd be because he doesn't want to cut to 145 anymore.

danthefan

I highly doubt he defends both. Alternating between cuts like that would be very odd. Anything could happen I guess, but I'm pretty certain they wouldn't go that route. If he decided to go to 155, it'd be because he doesn't want to cut to 145 anymore.

Dana said that Kavanagh said that he won't be cutting to 145 anymore.

I just don't see Conor's style carrying over against bigger, longer guys than himself at this level. He'll go from huge featherweight to an average sized lightweight real quick, and it'll make all the difference.

Moving up gives him a speed advantage and his technique stays the same super-high level. Size have somewhat of an effect, but it won't be nearly the difference maker you think. Especially against a guy like Cowboy. Against a super-pressure wrestler like RDA or Khabib? The size difference matters more. But not against Cowboy.

Looks like he won't be sticking with it because cutting to 145 is to hard on him.

In that case he needs to vacate the FW belt if he has no intention defending it. But this does fuck over Aldo big time, because it doesn't matter if Aldo comes back and wins the belt again, because he didn't rematch McGregor to get it.

I'm a Conor fan and even I don't like this.

zewone

He held two belts in the last promotion he fought at. 145 and 155. Weight cut will be rough but if he can do it, he'll make himself and the UFC a ton of money.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I say Aldo deserves a rematch, but Conor also deserves to move on to 155.

I like the insta-title-shot, because why not? Make it a super-fight. And if Conor loses he can fight through the 155s. And if he wins... he can fight through the 155.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom