• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 194 + Fight Week |OT| The leprechaun finally gets his gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fights turned out the way I wanted for the most part.

Romero is a beast, Rockhold is a beast and Conor did that way faster than I expected. I'm a fan, but I don't think his reign will be crazy like most people seem to.

But I guess those people claiming he had no power because Edgar put Mendes out faster can eat some crow now. I mean, Edgar had nothing for Aldo.

sirap

...What? So aldo is a chump now from getting caught by a counter straight? lmao

Where you all coming from?!

Aldo is a chump for rushing in like that. He knows better, I know that. I've followed his fights since WEC.

He knows Connor has insane power, he's faced knockout artists before and fought intelligently. I don't know what happened to Aldo. Maybe it's age, or all the shit-talking. It might even be the IV-ban, or the stricter drug testing.

Whatever it is, it's disappointing he had to go down like that, and still say it wasn't a real fight. Dude needs to man up and admit he got out-struck.

weekev

Banned
It's unrespectful as fuck and It's classless. Makes the sport looks like a circus show. Should I like it because it speaks to the rednecks, casuals and wwe lovers alike?
Its not about being disrespectful, the reason he does it is to wind his opponent up. The way Aldo came at him was because of the hatred Mcgregor induced by all the shit talk before. The precision he talked about at the end wasnt just the punch, it was the way he crafted the punch with months of shit talk getting under Aldo's skin.
Hope we get a rematch but Frankie probably deserves a shot first. I dont imagine this will be the last Aldo vs Mcgregor main event.

Fitts

Herb Dean is known for ending fights prematurely so it's good he didn't for once.

He's known for both stopping fights prematurely and late. I'd much rather have the former than the latter. It's fun to root against the guy who's facing the guy you want to win, but I don't want to see anyone's career shortened either.

Dana has been waiting years to get this belt off Aldo. The guy is constantly hurt, badmouths the organization and doesn't draw flies.

He gets knocked out by the biggest star they've ever had and you think a rematch is happening? No.

Aldo's probably moving to 155 anyway.

that's why thsi is so disappointing.

hopefully connor turns on dana

Gsp needs to come back, I dislike almost all the Champs now except Joanna, mighty mouse, Holm, dillishaw and am meh about Werdum and rda

Axiom

I'm sure it's been done, but I had to do this immediately after seeing the fight
GJ93MC0.jpg

BadAss2961

That went on for at least 30 straight seconds. Weidman's defense consisted of having his gloves over his face and taking a brutal beating for half a minute or more. Just because he wasn't out cold doesn't mean he was defending himself.
If the fighter is still game in the next round, not stopping it was probably the correct decision.

Also, you're perhaps overlooking the fact that all the trash talking and build-up from Conor contributed to Aldo rushing in like an amateur.

Maybe Aldo was beat before he entered the octagon. Maybe he was beat when Conor went to Brazil and told him he was going to die.

Being a champion is about mentality as much as ability.

I would have agreed with that if only he didn't have as much time to let it go. Remember, they were supposed to fight in July. He had a lot of time to prepare mentally for it and get out of that mindset.

And please, rushing in like a amateur? Since when has Aldo been a amateur? He's been doing that exact combination since his WEC days, hell even before. A lunging/fake straigth right to left hook followed usually by a leg kick. That's his usual go to combination to close in the gap.

That straight ended up catching him flush with perfect timing, another time that straight end ups a degree over and with a mili second difference and he isn't knocked out.

And I'd be fine with a rematch of both championship fights. Yeah, both former champs got dominated, but it seems like the UFC loves rematches and we can get Edgar vs. Holloway for a title shot, for realsies this time. Stop denying Holloways streak.

Said in his next 2 fights he will be 2 weight world champion, that's this one and a lightweight title fight. Is it possible to hold 2 weight division belts in the UFC?

Dan Henderson sort of did it, but that was pride, but zuffa/ufc did own them at the time, and he did have 2 ufc title matches but he lost those

so yeah...

Demise

The man talked shit all day to the best featherweight fighter of the moment. And he talked shit HARD. The fight was HYPED. Everyone and their mothers were betting on Aldo, everyone and their mothers were praying for him to shut the mouth of the man and all he took was one punch from the man to end it all ?

The man is the man.

One day my father told to never start a fight with an Irish man because they have Iron Fist and even if you out-witted them, all it took from them to end the fight is one rough punch to your chin. Guess he was right.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Conor didnt even notice that Josie connected. He was on the fence before Josie started riding his invisible tricycle on the ground.

ScribbleD

Said in his next 2 fights he will be 2 weight world champion, that's this one and a lightweight title fight. Is it possible to hold 2 weight division belts in the UFC?

If he seriously intends to follow through with that plan then he'll pick up a new fan in me. I think he's classless, but that is badass.

And I'd be fine with a rematch of both championship fights. Yeah, both former champs got dominated, but it seems like the UFC loves rematches and we can get Edgar vs. Holloway for a title shot, for realsies this time. Stop denying Holloways streak.

So mulligans for title fights?

I would have agreed with that if only he didn't have as much time to let it go. Remember, they were supposed to fight in July. He had a lot of time to prepare mentally for it and get out of that mindset.

And please, rushing in like a amateur? Since when has Aldo been a amateur? He's been doing that exact combination since his WEC days, hell even before. A lunging/fake straigth right to left hook followed usually by a leg kick. That's his usual go to combination to close in the gap.

That straight ended up catching him flush with perfect timing, another time that straight end ups a degree over and and with a mili second difference and he isn't knocked out.

Does he always leave his jaw wide open to the best left hand in the division?

McGregor had a massive reach advantage so to over exert yourself that early looking for a big punch was amateur stuff.

I didn't say he was an amateur anyway, I said what he did tonight was like an amateur.

He's clearly a great fighter, he was a great champion. It's over because McGregor got to him mentally before the fight and physically 6 seconds into the fight.

It is, but what does that say about Aldo?

That his trainers are dumb for teaching Aldo to throw looping left hooks against a southpaw with knockout power.

It's the worst punch to throw against a southpaw, since Aldo was lining up for Connor to throw straight down the pipe.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The man talked shit all day to the best featherweight fighter of the moment. And he talked shit HARD. The fight was HYPED. Everyone and their mothers were betting on Aldo, everyone and their mothers were praying for him to shut the mouth of the man and all he took was one punch from the man to end it all ?

The man is the man.

One day my father told to never start a fight with an Irish man because they have Iron Fist and even if you out-witted them, all it took from them to end the fight is one rough punch to your chin. Guess he was right.

Yo real talk, can you mothefuckers stop stealing Plywood's avatars? Dudes cant even fucking right click save as a different frame?

BadAss2961

The man is the man.

Wasn't Conor a slight favorite?

The man is the man.

People were actually betting on McGregor since Aldo was the underdog

Max_Po

Banned
Some fights were terrible but UFC 194 ended with an exclamation mark !

I don't bet or had favorites however I am scratching my head at Aldo... did he not study any of Conner's fights?

Demise

Yo real talk, can you mothefuckers stop stealing Plywood's avatars? Dudes cant even fucking right click save as a different frame?

Is this serious ? I keep the avatar because Jade Raymond did confront Konami on her own way and I encouraged all the Kojima's supporter to do the same. I don't think Plywood mind it at all.

BadAss2961

Yeah, he sure looked "game" judging by that tremendous 4th-round ass beating he took.
He wasn't finished yet. They had some exchanges in the 4th until Rockhold got him down again like 2 minutes into the round and finished the job.

Had Weidman been done then his corner would've stopped it between rounds. Then i'd agree that Dean missed the stoppage.

That was pretty unreal. Perfectly timed counter punch. There are still so many unanswered questions I was hoping we'd get around to, and maybe we never will.

Yaari

Some reporter made a good point. Aldo was very outspoken about the UFC and Reebok. I'm not sure if they are willing to do him a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom